Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2023, 19:16   #31
BHPian

Re: High beams - Indian cities horrible to drive in. Can we drive change?

I feel guilty using high beams so I never use high beams in the city. Whenever I use high beam on highways or two-lane state highways, the moment I see a vehicle in the opposite direction, I immediately switch to low beam. More than traffic rules and fines, road discipline is all about being considerate and knowing how your actions will affect others. So until people understand that, it is not going to change much.
swoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 19:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post

I feel the only solution is this:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mwi7fSzhQPM

For non Malayali guys - Cars equipped with this dimmer circuit will have their high beams automatically switched off to low beam. The light from the opposite car hits the sensor which triggers the action.

It's been 3 years since the video has been uploaded. Too bad that no one is actually thinking of this. Ya, concentrate on 80/120 speed buzzers.
The government had tried to implement this in the late 90's. All the automotive manufacturers (at least cars, trucks etc.) had tested such devices on their vehicles. However, there were too many issues of those not working as expected at that point in time. Hence the govt. dropped the implementation plan for the same. May be they should try this again now. We definitely would have much better equipment and technology now than then.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 19:24   #33
BHPian

Santhosh George Kulangara, a highly respected traveler who has travelled solo to 130+ countries over last 25 years and captured high quality content recently said "We teach kids all about religion, but don't teach them basic civic sense".

The change is best done at grassroot levels. Of course we need quick wins too to keep ourselves motivated. In today's 'connected car world', how difficult is it for the government (+carmakers) to bring in a mechanism by which they understand the high beam misuse ? The Teslas and likes might already have the data handy.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 20:12   #34
Senior - BHPian

There are people who use high beams because their stock headlamps are pathetic and high beams are default. Then there are some who use it despite having modern, well designed, powerful headlamps with sharp low beam cut offs. Whether indifference or ignorance, the way to tackle it is through awareness and enforcement (I am not sure if there is a Motor Vehicle Act rule about the same)

There are horrible black spots in urban roads with poor road conditions, protruding/soot covered medians, parked trucks without reflective strips all of which do not show up with regular low beams. If the roads are really well lit, people might be willing to give up high beams to improve visibility
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 22:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

People should be sensitised that constant running on high beam will affect mileage (partly true). Voila! Majority will switch to low beam
jinojohnt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 22:24   #36
BHPian

Here is my take.

1. Most car drivers don't even know the basis of high beam and low beam. You will notice most of them leave the high beam on by default thinking that's the mode they should drive on. When you flash to let them know to dim their lights, they dont even understand that and simply pass. Some intelligent souls even flash back at you and continue to pass with high beams.
2. Most entry level / budget cars come with sub-par light setup, forcing people to switch to high beams or even use after market solutions where they install those array of lights on the bumper or on the top. This trend has sadly crept upto Thars, Fortune's, Ace Trucks etc.
3. There is unfortunately no standards set by the Govt or enforced on what sort of light spec the OEMs should use. No stricter curbing of after market lights are being done. In fact I would say that whole headlights market is illegal yet thriving officially, thanks to our traffic officials.
4. There is practically no way to penalise people on high beams in the city or highways. May be someday we get a good piece of technology which can detect and challan people like over speeding but its a far cry for now.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 22:31   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
Here is my take.
4. There is practically no way to penalise people on high beams in the city or highways. May be someday we get a good piece of technology which can detect and challan people like over speeding but it’s a far cry for now.
Why do you think there’s no practical way to implement? You can spot a high beam from miles away!
Old 21st November 2023, 23:00   #38
FHW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
When you flash to let them know to dim their lights, they dont even understand that and simply pass. Some intelligent souls even flash back at you and continue to pass with high beams.
I can feel it.

This is a menace, besides being a moral responsibility it's improper usage is punishable under law. People must be educated about it before being issued a LL.
Old 21st November 2023, 23:07   #39
BANNED

I am really curios why GTO or other mods aren’t commenting on this thread. Usually, GTOs few and precise lines throw a lot of light and direction. Whatcha think, GTO?

Last edited by Yesterdaysnews : 21st November 2023 at 23:13.
Old 22nd November 2023, 02:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

I go one step further and use the Head light leveller to the lowest level in heavy traffic. It's usually in the middle position which I have adjusted for the hotspot to be below the rear windshield line of the car ahead at about 2 car lengths away. On highways I set the leveller to the highest level and use the fogs to fill in the near field view. I have never driven on high beams for any length of time except once when both Low beams somehow got fused at the same time. Then too I set the leveller at the lowest and turned off the lights in traffic and signals, only using the position lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidharthaN View Post
Being a biker and a driver, I feel there is gross targetting of LED Auxiliary Lights on two wheelers. With confusion across states on the applicability, us bikers are stranded and have to do with inadequate headlights. We cannot fix Auxiliary lights for additional output.When car guys can enjoy the leverage of LED/HID lights for safety why cannot bikers enjoy the same privileges.
Bikers can fit LEDs or HID projectors on their bikes. Aux lights are illegal on cars as well unless you are currently driving off road if I'm not mistaken

Last edited by Mortis : 22nd November 2023 at 02:28.
Old 22nd November 2023, 11:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Why does this thread feel like deja-vu?

Ah yes of course,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...high-beam.html (Say NO to HIGH-BEAM)

2009-2017 (31 pages)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ian-roads.html (The High Beam Menace on Indian Roads)

2007-2023

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...-vehicles.html (On the blinding headlights of new vehicles)

My cynical self would believe there is end to this menace and it's something we just have to live with.

See car's rear light in front, low beam

See car's headlight in front on the oncoming lane, low beam
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 12:32   #42
BHPian

Most drivers just switch to high beam and then forget about it! This is the most annoying habit, especially when you are driving through ghat sections or state highways without requisite infrastructure. The usage of headlights should be taught during Driving 101; unfortunately driving tests in our country largely focus only on the "driving" bit and not on the hygiene that needs to be followed while driving on the roads.
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:08   #43
BHPian

Here's a suggestion for Team-BHP. Can you develop a reflective sticker that simply says "Lower your Beam - You are blinding me and everyone on the road". All members could stick it on the back windscreen and thus start the awareness campaign
pd1108 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:10   #44
BHPian

Maybe Team-BHP could also persuade all car manufacturers to install this sticker on all cars at the showroom and the ones that come for service. That will really boost awareness. Just a sugegstion
Old 22nd November 2023, 18:21   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Why does this thread feel like deja-vu?
While there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, I am hoping this thread will be a more of a call to action one where we meaningfully interact not to discuss this menace but on how to act to help end this menace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd1108 View Post
Here's a suggestion for Team-BHP. Can you develop a reflective sticker that simply says "Lower your Beam - You are blinding me and everyone on the road". All members could stick it on the back windscreen and thus start the awareness campaign
I think that’s a brilliant idea!!!

Last edited by Yesterdaysnews : 22nd November 2023 at 18:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks