Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 14:34   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants

MIRACLE DO HAPPEN

This happened on 24th Oct,2023 Vijayadashami day. Hyundai Creta with Father, Mother and Two young boys ( aged 10 and 8 ) driving back after a picnic to CHIDIABHADAK, near IIT INDORE met with a horrific head on collision with a bus which was being driven in high speed in a curve on wrong side of the ghat. Pictures of the mangled and damaged vehicle posted below.

The car rolled down nearly 40 feet, near by villagers who had assembled for Durga visarjan rushed down and stopped the car from further rolling, broke one window glass, that's when the young child aged 10 whose face was covered with blood from his fathers wound reached to all the 4 seat belts, unbuckled them including the belt of the booster seat of his younger brother, pushed him out through the window and crawled himself out shouting in his broken Hindi to save his parents.

The parents being Professors in IIT Indore, help came very fast and all 4 were taken in ambulance to Indore city.

After 4 days all 4 were back home with no major fractures and only with minor wounds and
wound , bruising.

Brave 10 year old Luhan, with his presence of mind and bravery is THE HERO. Never cried was calm and agile. Also thanks to the local villagers and IIT fraternity.

The entire beatings was taken by CRETA. All air bags were were open. Thank you HYUNDAI.

MIRACLE DO HAPPEN. God comes in various forms to help and save us.

This accident happened to my Daughter and her family. The very sight of the photos gives me goose bumps and even after a week we could not sleep at nights.

We, majority of us in our country do not realise the importance of wearing the seat belts. My daughter and her husband who lived abroad many years were very particular about the seat belt for even rear occupants and Booster seat for the child.This along with God's grace saved their lives. A big lesson learnt.

Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-9f005c1c09934210bb058939d5e57ee5.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-44b3d01009e248859660828c67a14106.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-818206318667494dbfacf5695d0728ba.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-img_5576.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-img_5577.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-img_5583.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-img_5585.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-img_5586.jpg  

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants-naidunia-report26oct23.jpg  

sumukha is offline   (135) Thanks
Old 10th November 2023, 15:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
MIRACLE DO HAPPEN

Brave 10 year old Luhan, with his presence of mind and bravery is THE HERO. Never cried was calm and agile. Also thanks to the local villagers and IIT fraternity.

The entire beatings was taken by CRETA. All air bags were were open. Thank you HYUNDAI.

[/b]
Very brave child and shows how resilient children can be in situations. Car with safety features helped with a favourable outcome, however buckling up by entire family would be the greatest saving grace.

My child takes very keen interest in every working of car, and I make sure to answer his every query about various latches and buttons in car. Children have more focused mind and can come handy in any kind of emergency.
IAmGroot is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 00:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
MIRACLE DO HAPPEN

This happened on 24th Oct,2023 Vijayadashami day. Hyundai Creta with Father, Mother and Two young boys ( aged 10 and 8 ) driving back after a picnic to CHIDIABHADAK, near IIT INDORE met with a horrific head on collision with a bus which was being driven in high speed in a curve on wrong side of the ghat.
I am really glad to know that your daughter and family are safe after such a scary experience. Having first hand experienced this I cannot emphasise more on the seat belts aspect.

Last week I encountered a similar situation while travelling via Tamhini Ghat. These buses (especially State Transport) assume that they are free to take turns in Ghats giving absolutely no space to the oncoming driver. Since they are long, I understand that they need to take the turn in such a way in corners but one should atleast slow down before taking such a turn. When you approach the curve, you hardly see them and within seconds the whole bus pops up. I was able to control the car and brake it just in time. I had to take my left tyres off the tarmac while braking or else he would have scraped the right section of the car and even could have pushed me more off the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
We travel a lot on 2 Lane Roads and whenever a vehicle appears from a turn, till this day my mom and sister get scared and their first reaction is to put their hands on the dashboard even when we our travelling well within the speed limits.
My mother who is somehow recovering from the previous accident was in the passenger seat and this just scared her again.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 15:19   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

That crash looks horrific. Glad you Survived. The fact that you escaped with no major injuries proves that NCAP scores aren't everything, and the quick thinking of the child saved the day.
JunkyardHunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 19:14   #5
BHPian

Quote:

We, majority of us in our country do not realise the importance of wearing the seat belts. [/b]My daughter and her husband who lived abroad many years were very particular about the seat belt for even rear occupants and Booster seat for the child.[/b]This along with God's grace saved their lives.

The most important reason all four walked out alive from this heart wrenching motor crash is because ALL OF THEM WORE SEATBELTS!

We have witnessed quite a few infamous crashes this year itself where even EURO NCAP 5-star rated imported luxury cars have failed to save lives because the occupants refused to belt up. The importance of belting up should be stressed beyond exaggeration!

Last edited by graaja : 16th November 2023 at 14:34. Reason: Fixing broken format tags
Baristyro is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 20:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
MIRACLE DO HAPPEN

MIRACLE DO HAPPEN.

Happy to know that the family is safe

I think I should enforce mandatory rear seat belts, it is very difficult to make them understand but this accident makes me want to be more strict about rear seat belts.

I believe the Creta in the picture is SXO, I own the same model, earlier I was a bit skeptical about safety because of the majority's opinion that Creta is an unsafe car now I feel that Creta is not as unsafe as it is assumed to be.

Last edited by graaja : 16th November 2023 at 14:37. Reason: Fixing format tags in quoted text, capitalising car names
tiagoatrix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2023, 22:44   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyardHunter View Post
NCAP scores aren't everything, and the quick thinking of the child saved the day.
Not quite.

The incidence only proves (repeatedly) that wearing seat belts (and child restraint systems for children) saves lives.

NCAP is still the best way we have to gauge the safety of a car. Importantly, NCAP ratings are given ASSUMING all are wearing seat belts. Let’s not discount that please.
krishnakumar is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 07:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

NCAP , at the end of the day, is a lab simulation. In practical life the following happened:
1) everyone was belted up - almost never the case in India
2) All airbags deployed ( which may not always happen)
3) A young child showed extraordinary presence of mind and grit.

Thats what counts.
fhdowntheline is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2023, 16:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MIRACLE DO HAPPEN

The very sight of the photos gives me goose bumps and even after a week we could not sleep at nights.

We, majority of us in our country do not realise the importance of wearing the seat belts. A big lesson learnt.
Yes truly a miracle in many ways. Soothingly it had a safe ending. The Creta rolled down 40 feet and must have toppled over and over again all the way down. The A, B C and D pillars have well withstood the gruelling moments. The build quality, seat belts and airbags have worked in unison to keep your daughter, son in law and their tiny tots secure. Even their stay abroad has helped groom their mindsets on car safety issues.

Adding to the various events, actions and factors that clicked, were the timely help by the public including the ill fated bus occupants too. Else on this stretch had the mishap happened on a desolate spot there could have been woes.

I have used this stretch from Khandwa/Khargaon/ Sanawad to Indore via the Narmada River bridge/Mandaleshwar on several occasions while on duty in this sector.

We have seen images of the Fiat Linea/Punto/ Tata Indica/Indigo miraculously saving their occupants. To this list we can surely add the new Hyundaj Creta. But the Creta must be a total loss.

Last edited by graaja : 16th November 2023 at 14:40. Reason: Fixing broken format tags
anjan_c2007 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 12:42   #10

Wow! A great escape! Thank Almighty and adherence to the safety terms!
Old 13th November 2023, 14:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed. I am glad that everyone is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
The incidence only proves (repeatedly) that wearing seat belts (and child restraint systems for children) saves lives.
I agree. More than a decade back, my then boss and his wife met with a similar incident in their Maruti Dzire. Their car rolled down a slope. Both of them were wearing seatbelts and survived without any major injury. I saw the pictures of the car, and I wouldn't have guessed that anyone survived in that car.

Last edited by graaja : 16th November 2023 at 14:38. Reason: Fixing format tags in quoted text
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2023, 14:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... This happened on 24th Oct,2023
Looking at how safety is slowly becoming a house hold name in India, I suggest this '4'-life saver Hyundai deserves a separate thread. Special highlight is the top end (multi air bag surely played a role).

And I bet when the family is ready to get into a car again they are surely going to recommend the same car with multiple air bags and build quality.

TATA, Mahindra, Hyundai leading a very special change in vehicle safety perception in India, Kudos.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 12:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants

Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 13:09   #14
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Creta rolls down hill after collision with bus | Seatbelts and airbags save occupants

No doubt , the seat belts and the air bags saved the occupants. However it's very important to recognise and appreciate the presence of mind and the grit shown by 10 year old " LUHAN ". if the seat belts were not unbuckled, pulling out the occupants would have been delayed. He pushed his younger brother out through the window and crawled himself out. Brave child . LUHAN along with CRETA are the HERO'S
sumukha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
MIRACLE DO HAPPEN

This happened on 24th Oct,2023 Vijayadashami day. Hyundai Creta .......................

We, majority of us in our country do not realise the importance of wearing the seat belts. My daughter and her husband who lived abroad many years were very particular about the seat belt for even rear occupants and Booster seat for the child.This along with God's grace saved their lives. A big lesson learnt.
A similar accident happened with my Friends family in 2015. The car in question was Hyundai i20 1st Gen. They were travelling from Hyderabad to their hometown in Chirala, Andhra Pradesh. The car reached Narketpalli, outskirts of Hyderabad when suddenly a 2 wheeler darted across the highway. My Friend had to brake immediately when he lost control and hit the divider. The car (Travelling ~ 80kmph) rolled around 4 times and came to rest in an upside down position in a ditch on the roadside. Passerby account mentioned they thought no one will survive but luckily all 4 survived - Father, Mother, boys aged 10Y and 2Y. Just a small scratch on the mother no injuries on Father and Kids. All 4 had fastened seatbelts. Passerby's pulled all of them out. Luckily there was a Multispecialty Hospital right in front of the Accident Spot. By the time First Aid was done we reached the spot.

All valuables were handed over to the Family. Nothing was stolen.

Sometimes we do have our guardian angels watching over us.

Last edited by graaja : 16th November 2023 at 14:39. Reason: Fixing format tags in quoted text
dsuman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks