Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2023, 17:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Overspeeding the biggest cause of road accident deaths in 2022

I sometimes wonder that in a world where mass market cars are increasingly being made of wafer thin materials keeping in mind even pedestrian safety, why don't these commercial vehicles which move at a snail's pace and cause a lot of accidents don't have any crumple zones and bull bars are still perfectly legal for them?
Somil07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 20:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit@wheels View Post
I wish they also provided an 'accident due to potholes and poor quality of roads' as well. I have seen bad-quality roads kill people even when no one was overspeeding/wrong-side driving/DUI.
Absolutely agree. It's unbelievable that there isn't any significant contribution other than driver related reasons. Poorly designed and maintained roads should be a significant reason. Also I'll maintained vehicles especially commercial vehicles also would be another cause.
That said I think the study reiterates that we should always be vary of the probable nut case behind the wheel of other vehicles on the road and learn defensive driving techniques.
Old 3rd November 2023, 21:07   #18
BHPian

I couldn't help but add one opinion here. I know the roads are not always in a good condition or designed well in our country. But to blame the road design for the Hyderabad Polo GTI accident is really an overkill. Just the speed he was doing, a sane person would refrain.

Apart from that, even if you were to discount 50 percent of accidents attributed to overspeeding, it would still contribute to one-third of accidents. And that, is a huge number. Cut it by another half, still it would be about one-fifth. So time for the folks here to really rethink their criticism of the attributed cause of accident. Overspeeding is not the absolute number shown on your speedo, it is also determined considering the traffic conditions and road design. I am stopping short of quoting some examples as it would look like a personal attack on some members.

And yeah - I am not preaching here. I have done some good speeds on highways, but with due consideration to the condition of the road and the car itself, and with due respect to other road users. If something were to go wrong in those conditions, I would be solely responsible. At some point I realized my foolishness and now I make conscious efforts to restrain myself.

Coming back from a 1500km round trip just last week, I can safely say that the reported number kind of corresponds to the nuisance drivers one comes across on the road. Read Nuisance = Bullies in SUV/CSUVs. They are so much of a nuisance that it is difficult even to make way for them and allow them to pass. I see less of hatchbacks, sedans, or even luxury sedans attempt what these CSUV/SUV drivers attempt.

May good sense prevail!
Old 3rd November 2023, 22:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

I’m so happy to see people be skeptical about these claims rather than blindly believing whatever fear mongering is spewed. Data can be skewed very easily and in this case, it’s the cops and media claiming everything is due to over speeding which conveniently brushes off all the other issues such as potholes, non-scientific roads, curves, speed breakers etc.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 08:46   #20
BHPian

Adding additional dimensions. Standalone data at times does not make sense. But when dimensions are added, they start making more sense. I think the additional information in this report are very sensible.

request to Mods: Please if you can change the orientation of the image!

Source: Deccan Herald.
Attached Thumbnails
Overspeeding the biggest cause of road accident deaths in 2022-img_20231106_083757.jpg  

theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2023, 09:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theabstractmind View Post
Adding additional dimensions. Standalone data at times does not make sense. But when dimensions are added, they start making more sense. I think the additional information in this report are very sensible.
This is crazy! Thanks for sharing the clip! More questions come to mind-
1) How many of these accidents occurred at intersections where locals randomly decide to cross the road. After all, the biggest casualties are two wheelers.
2) What about mechanical fitness of the vehicle in question? Are the cars involved in these accidents have the brakes, tires and suspension in proper condition?
3) What is the age of vehicles involved in these accidents? Are these vehicles primarily running in rural areas or are they coming from the big cities?
4) What about dozing off behind the wheel?

One thing for sure is that licensing needs to be made strict with tougher exams having heavy dose of defensive driving techniques being tested.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks