Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2023, 11:21   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N gets Zero Stars in the Australian-NCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Why are we getting upset at other countries regulations! Every manufacturer has to comply to rules of the country they plan to sell to right? That applies even for individual jobs, just because I’m doctor who has right to license in India doesn’t make me a good doctor in a different country. Nobody is forcing Mahindra to sell in Australia. If they scored 0, well it is their fault, nothing to do with ANCAP. Lot of food produce in India would never be allowed to be sold in Western countries, even in Middle East, but we Indians hog that. Our rules are lax, why pick out other countries for our problems?

If Mahindra is serious about Australian markets or any other developed country, they better pull their socks and implement changes. It is not as if there are no 5* ANCAP rated cars, that means it is possible to achieve, it’s Mahindra’s headache, we don’t have to defend them just because they are Indian. Are we willing to accept the standards of a sub saharan African country for ourselves? If not, we have no right to pick on ANCAP.
Well said.

Some members have gone on to say they are more concerned with the safety of their family members in the car than someone else's family member out on the roads. Just goes to portray the lack of consideration we have for others.

Let's not forget we cannot be within the safety of the steel cage of our cars all the time. As a pedestrian, we are at the mercy of someone driving a car and can only hope that manufacturer scores well on Pedestrian Safety when designing that product. It may also happen that we are travelling in a different car (taxi/Uber) when God forbid we end up in an accident with a car which scores low on safety for oncoming traffic. These arent uncommon scenarios when you think about it.

As The Rationalist and others have said, Mahindra tried to sneak past regulations that they were aware of and now got caught red-handed. They need to work to fix these, rather than have us consumers defend them for a job half done.

P.S. : As an ex Scorpio owner and one who was excited to see Mahindra in Australia, i honestly want to see them do better.
benbsb29 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 11:29   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
One thing to note about the MPDB test is that ......
This post just won this whole thread. BHPians need to read this before posting blindly, bashing either Mahindra or any NCAP. Very well written indeed ron178.
ashivas89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 13:15   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
My sources tell me Ciaz and Ertiga have been picked up for sure. Whether they are the export versions or Toyota versions, I have no idea.
For Toyota I think (not 100% sure but very likely) they are also doing PROBOX for Africa. My speculation is it is part of a series of global tests showing manufacturers still flogging old platforms, starting with Peugeot Partner Patagonica and also including Mahindra Bolero Neo (which frankly deserves much more attention than the Scorpio-N ANCAP).
Old 19th December 2023, 13:27   #94
Kln
BHPian

I'm not picking sides here but I'm just amused at everyone pooh poohing the australian NCAP ratings as too protective, outdated, stuntbaazi etc etc. The same people will then laugh when foreign OEMs struggle to sell cars in India due to local regulations, taxes, norms and preferences. Do you see the irony!

Local laws, local norms, local regulations exist for a reason. If you want to sell a car in that country, you better adjust to their norms or get laughed and thrown out. This is an universal truth, and just because M&M is an Indian company trying to sell in Australia, we shouldn't be biased.
Kln is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 17:53   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kln View Post
Local laws, local norms, local regulations exist for a reason. If you want to sell a car in that country, you better adjust to their norms or get laughed and thrown out. This is an universal truth, and just because M&M is an Indian company trying to sell in Australia, we shouldn't be biased.
Mahindra is definitely meeting the mandatory Australian norms, its only the latest ANCAP test which it flunked.
Old 23rd December 2023, 14:01   #96
BHPian

No manufacturer has a heart of gold to just pour out the best safety features into their vehicles and price it for peanuts. It is only regulation that will force the manufacturer to comply to certain basic safety norms. And with more safety, comes more cost, which will reflect in the eventual price. So whenever we complain that India doesn't get European safety features, it is because Indians don't pay for it (at least majority don't). And the very tiny minority that the team-bhp members are, any amount of whining will not get us European cars. Many manufacturers have tried to get really well made cars, priced them at a premium (as they should) and failed miserably. And the regulations are slowly evolving to make cars safer, but we will always be 20 years behind (at least in this century). For all the tank like build (yada yada) we talk about, or demand, just think deep and hard, does your family comply to rear seat belts EVERY SINGLE TIME? I know my family doesnt. You will hear yourself talking about "town driving is slow. Rear seatbelt not necessary", "the belt cuts into my neck and shoulder, I am uncomfortable", "forget rear seatbelts, what matters most is the driver driving so well that we shouldn't have an accident in the first place". Have you NEVER let your kid's stick their head out of the sunroof while in motion? "I condemn it on the tbhp bandwagon but I have car with a sunroof". What is it's real purpose. In my limited knowledge, I have ZERO clue why do sunroofs exist. When I built my house, I absolutely didn't create a large hole in my ceiling. So anyone who buys a car with a sunroof, is using that to stick their family's head out of their moving vehicle (or it just came with the trim level and the user has no use for it). Period. If there are any other real purposes, would be happy to be educated.

Enough with my rant. The point I was making was, we have extremely limited understanding and sensitivity towards road safety (comments on this forum itself point towards that. Loved the SUV and autorickshaw example in one of the earlier posts). AU regulations have evolved to a level where they are pushing the boundary of road safety. Not just safety of the person who pays the most for being inside their car. Pedestrian safety, safety of other vehicles, etc are important topics to address as well. Mahindra didn't. And failed the crash test. There is no conspiracy theory here. It did push the envelope for safety in India though. So kudos to them. But just because I was the mohalla champion, I do not automatically qualify for Olympics. I do have to train for it.

Last edited by srinitdas : 23rd December 2023 at 14:04.
srinitdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 11:24   #97
BHPian

Australian Car YouTubers have started addressing the 0-star ANCAP rating of the Scorpio-N in their newer videos.

This video seems to implore the viewers to look closely at the report before making up their minds as things may not be as bad as they seem.

Old 24th May 2024, 10:26   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

2024 GWM Tank 500 given five-star ANCAP safety rating

Once upon a time, Chinese cars were not the top pick if safety was a key consideration. They've come a long way since, and their cars are certainly amongst the safest to buy now.

The 2024 GWM Tank 500 has been awarded a maximum five-star safety rating by crash test authority ANCAP.

Mahindra Scorpio-N gets Zero Stars in the Australian-NCAP-tank-500.png

The three-row SUV was tested against the latest Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) 2023-2025 protcols, and praised for having one of the most advanced child-detection systems on the market.

The GWM Tank 500 blitzed each of ANCAP’s key assessment areas, with high scores seen in a range of destructive crash tests – and maximum points awarded for the level of protection provided to adult and child occupants in the side impact test.

It performed best in the Child Occupant Protection category, chalking up a 93 per cent score based on the presence and function of a direct child presence detection (CPD) system – a feature encouraged (but not mandatory) through ANCAP’s protocols since 2023

Source: https://www.drive.com.au/news/2024-g...safety-rating/

Let that sink in for a minute. The thing has the best CPD system that wasn't even mandatory.

Mahindra - That's what you should be aspiring for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks