Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2023, 19:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N gets surprise crash test from ANCAP; to get rating in 2023. EDIT: Gets Zero S

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hyundai Venue has scored 4-star in the same test with a score of 91% in Adult Occupant Protection (34.9 out of 38). Obviously, this version of the Venue sold in Australia must be one which has been adequately strengthened for that test.

To add context the Scorpio N has scored 44% in the test.

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati...i/venue/cfd06a
Pretty sad that what is considered one of the safest cars in India is not even half as good as a subcompact crossover abroad.

I do not agree with how it has been rated 0 stars overall solely because of no ADAS though. Under such criteria, both an autorikshaw and a ScorpioN will be given the same 0 stars but we both know which one you are likely to walk away from in the event of a crash.
Either way, this comes as a severe blow to Mahindra who has been promoting safety as one of their major selling points here.

Last edited by Cresterk : 14th December 2023 at 19:37.
Cresterk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 19:51   #32
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N gets surprise crash test from ANCAP; to get rating in 2023. EDIT: Gets Zero S

All this, and Australia allows import of older cars, end of life kei cars from Japan and be used as a regular car after some safety checks (brakes, rust, etc) … Just saying.

Not good for Mahindra, but to be relevant in the market they should have built it to pass the test.

Speculation: Did Stellantis secretly fund the purchase of those 6 cars?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 21:10   #33
BHPian

The seat belt coming off is another big red flag. Didn't GNCAP vehicle also have some issue like this?

In some ways, it shows that some manufacturers build targeting a test, but ignore overall quality.
Sidban85 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 23:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Under such criteria, both an autorikshaw and a ScorpioN will be given the same 0 stars but we both know which one you are likely to walk away from in the event of a crash. .
People hardly cut Maruti the same slack, going by the same logic
epiccross is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 00:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
People hardly cut Maruti the same slack, going by the same logic

Don't they? I thought the general consensus currently was that maruti's 0 star cars are still better than being on a 2 wheeler. It is something their Chairman lobbied really hard for.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 00:05   #36
BHPian

The tests evolve. For context, TATA XENON (2014-21) scored 4/5: https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati...a/xenon/3bfb29 . So did the XUV5OO

* Tested in 2013

Last edited by shree_shell : 15th December 2023 at 00:07.
shree_shell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 06:55   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Under such criteria, both an autorikshaw and a ScorpioN will be given the same 0 stars but we both know which one you are likely to walk away from in the event of a crash.
Either way, this comes as a severe blow to Mahindra who has been promoting safety as one of their major selling points here.
Sometimes some statements by western countries offend Indian patriots like me who owned classic top end Scorpio from
2008 to 2021. When I decided to buy Made in India car in 2008 after my relocation from USA to India is because the construction of Scorpio and Safari ( made in India) are built like tanks. In case of an unfortunate incident of T boning at traffic lights, one would live another day to tell his story and there will not be another day for hatchbacks which are popular in India. One colleague of mine in USA even told me that Mahindra copies Jeep and their engineering is so bad that USA has rejected the complete ship load of Mahindra vehicles and sent the ship back to India as the safety rating guys said that they are mechanised bullock carts. I tried to verify the authenticity of his statement but was not successful as I felt this must have happened long back when our made in India cars had an image as being not reliable.Let westerners talk whatever they want but India has come a long way from the olden days competing with the best of global cars now.

Last edited by Mystic : 15th December 2023 at 06:56.
Mystic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 09:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
long way from the olden days competing with the best of global cars now.
Tesla is the benchmark now (not in terms of CEO's antics thankfully) for all other major automakers. Others are trying to catchup with them. I don't see any Indian brand competing with them.
arpan_spark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 10:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Don't they? I thought the general consensus currently was that maruti's 0 star cars are still better than being on a 2 wheeler. It is something their Chairman lobbied really hard for.
He just got bashing for that though, and people still it "tin ka dabba" even when Alto has a stable bodyshell but still got 2 star or something owing to the updated protocol. There is no general consensus like this as far as I can see and people just Maruti for service (at least perception)/reliability/low cost.

I'm not defending Maruti or any brand; I'm just saying that I don't see this "better than two wheelers" etc. applied consistently is all
epiccross is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 10:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

The GNCAP and ANCAP (same as the EUNCAP) are different and not comparable so no point discussing conspiracy theories on the legitimacy of the GNCAP tests.

For example the ANCAP / EUNCAP also tests for how much damage is caused to the other vehicle and it's occupants which is one area the Scorpio N scored badly and hence the maximum penalty was applied.

Quoting from this article which gives a good overview - Link
Quote:
ANCAP noted the passenger compartment was stable in the frontal offset test, with protection of the driver rated as Adequate and Good. But the front structure was found to present a high risk to occupants of an oncoming vehicle, and ANCAP applied a maximum 8.00 point penalty.
AEB was legislated in Australia from March 1st 2023 for new launches and Mahindra was able to avoid this as the vehicle was homologated before that date. All new vehicles will have to have AEB from March 1st 2025, hence we can now expect Mahindra to push hard to bring forward the update with ADAS and changes for a 4/5 star rating.
fiat_tarun is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 11:10   #41

My biggest fear is unlocked. If GNCAP's 5-star scored Scorpio-N is rated for 0 stars in ANCAP with 44 points for adult protection, what will happen to the 3-star scored Ertiga, Carens etc?

How unsafe they are? These global companies are treating us with such unsafe cars.

How on earth a human life rated differently in different countries. Affordability is determining access to safety. I can not fathom this.
viper33 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 11:16   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
But then, I suppose these aids are meant for the largest cross section of drivers with the least number of driving skills.
It's going to be worse. A few generations of drivers would be learning and driving on vehicles with ADAS, on the same space with drivers who have never used ADAS. I Personally don't like these Gizmos and keep them off. However now when I drive i give a wider berth to vehicles which I think have ADAS capabilities. Specially when on activa etc within city limits and highways when on my motorcycle. Having said that, I do think roads would be safer when every vehicle is ADAS compliant. No idea how or if it will work on 2 wheelers.
Sandy Damodaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 11:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
He just got bashing for that though, and people still it "tin ka dabba" even when Alto has a stable bodyshell but still got 2 star or something owing to the updated protocol. There is no general consensus like this as far as I can see and people just Maruti for service (at least perception)/reliability/low cost.

I'm not defending Maruti or any brand; I'm just saying that I don't see this "better than two wheelers" etc. applied consistently is all
As far as I know, Maruti and to an extent Hyundai/Kia started being called tin cans after they began purposefully skimping out on high strength steel on their Indian offerings to increase their profit margins. They know very well what they are doing and this is completely intentional since the exact same model of car is also sold in other countries and passes all crash test ratings without issues and doesn't crumple like a sheet of aluminium on the lightest crash.

My personal opinion : The humble nano was the only car which could claim to be a safe alternative for a 2 wheeler family because it was the only car that was priced remotely close to what the average 2 wheeler commuter could afford.
Cresterk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 11:50   #44
BHPian

"Safety" is country sensitive. In US, Germany normal highway speeds are 80mph/130 kmph (autobahn have no speed limit) and city speeds are 50mph/80 kmph. The amount of safety gear required in those cars are very different in India, where average speeds in city are 40 kmph and highway are at 80-100 kmph. I do not have an idea of the Australia limits, but its likely to be on the US/Germany scale than the India scale.

Also, when we speak of Safety of Pedestrian in Indian context, lets also discuss safety conditions for Pedestrians in India: Roads without pavements, two Wheelers riding on pavements, roads without zebra crossings, water tankers standing in the middle of roads, trucks & buses on wrong side of road etc. etc. The point is, that concerns in Australia and EU on pedestrian safety are way ahead of reality in India.

Finally, "Safety" should have a gradient depending on your budget, rather than a absolute in the same market. Absolutely the safest cars that money can buy?: then sure go for Volvo, BMW, Merc. Not enough budget?: go for Honda, Toyota, VW, etc. Basic minimum? go for Mauti, for a second hand Honda instead of a 2WH.

I am glad that the India Auto makers like Mahindra, are in the right direction of trying to build a safer car, and making it a purchasing criteria in India, unlike 2-3 years back. Building a EU/Australia level safe car-is a gap, but they need to invest rather than try to sell a India spec car there. , some course corrections maybe underway.

The only thing that strikes a bit odd is why Mahindra decided to go for a crash testing in AUS on Scorpio-N knowing fully well it would be abysmal without AEB/ADAS.

Last edited by mk600 : 15th December 2023 at 11:54.
mk600 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 11:53   #45
BHPian

If Mahindra don't have positive safety ratings, then who else from Indian manufacturers?

Rating is one of the major factor for selecting a right car, at least for many indian car owners now. This news will certainly will tick red box for buyers currently in market for purchase...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks