Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2023, 08:41   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra Scorpio-N gets Zero Stars in the Australian-NCAP

Via ANCAP instagram. This feels humiliating for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N gets Zero Stars in the Australian-NCAP-screenshot_20231214084019.png  

saikishor is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 13:32   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The Mahindra Scorpio scored:

44% Adult Occupant Protection
80% Child Occupant Protection
23% Vulnerable Road User Protection
0% Safety Assist

ANCAP Chief Executive Officer, Carla Hoorweg:

Both brands (Mahindra's and MG) have misjudged the safety expectations of today’s consumers

Quote:
The MG 5 and Mahindra Scorpio were both released into the Australian and New Zealand new car markets for the first time this year, yet it’s clear that their safety offerings are some generations behind what we see with almost every new car on sale today
-Previous generation safety still fitted to today’s new cars

Quote:
Market competition is healthy and encouraged, however there is also a well-established expectation from Australian and New Zealand private consumers and fleet buyers that new cars entering our market offer the best levels of safety
Quote:
With our independent test results now to hand, we hope to see significant improvements made to these models to have them more closely align with the safety credentials offered by their competitors
Source: ANCAP
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 14:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is a very disappointing news for Mahindra Scorpio N as it is not just the absense of ADAS that caused 0 star rating, but it scored badly in Adult protection and Pedestrian protection too.

Makes me really think twice about GNCAP rating methodologies.
DCEite is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 14:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Mahindra Scorpio scored:

44% Adult Occupant Protection
80% Child Occupant Protection
23% Vulnerable Road User Protection
0% Safety Assist

The ScorpioN has a solid 5 star rating in GNCAP, scoring 29.25 points out of 34 for adult protection (5 stars in the category) and 28.93 out of 49 for child protection (3 stars in the category).

How does 29.25 out of 34 in GNCAP translate into 44% in adult protection in ANCAP, when 28.93/44 translates to 80% for child protection? GNCAP tests are not the most strict in the world but they are still carried out at 64kmph. How different is the methodology? Or, did Mahindra change something?

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 14th December 2023 at 14:37.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 14:52   #20
BHPian

ANCAP - Mahindra Scorpio Apr 2023 - onwards

ANCAP Safety Report (PDF)

Mahindra Scorpio-N gets Zero Stars in the Australian-NCAP-0.png

Mahindra Scorpio-N gets Zero Stars in the Australian-NCAP-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 725
Size:  113.4 KB

PS Scorpio-N is recognized as Scorpio in Australia

Last edited by varunswnt : 14th December 2023 at 14:56.
varunswnt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 16:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I am instantly reminded of this thread...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ed-advice.html (My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice)

Time for Mahindra to wake up if it is caught sleeping resting on some recent victories in other fronts.
svsantosh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 17:29   #22
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N gets surprise crash test from ANCAP; to get rating in 2023. EDIT: Gets Zero S

Again, here it goes, the debate on how reliable GNCAP is and how they test these brand new vehicles ( not available with dealers ) when their policy is to buy directly from dealers. There was some conspiracy theory a while back on GNCAP trying to help OEMs ( Bosch, Takata etc ) penetrate Asian and African markets.
enj0y_ride is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N gets surprise crash test from ANCAP; to get rating in 2023. EDIT: Gets Zero S

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
For some reason I am instantly reminded of this thread...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ed-advice.html (My Mahindra ScorpioN crashed into stationary car on bridge | Chassis bent | Need advice)

Time for Mahindra to wake up if it is caught sleeping resting on some recent victories in other fronts.
Same here, this was the first thing that popped up in my head. If things surrounding G-NCAP isn't suspicious already, this adds more doubt.

This shows the amount of consciousness that the people of Australia have towards their safety on road and i sincerely hope India to reach there. Now i wonder how much better the XUV700 will fare in the tests.
amg5610 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:24   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
How different is the methodology? Or, did Mahindra change something?
I'm guessing this is similar to 'percentile' scoring

Quote:
In statistics, a percentile is a term that describes how a score compares to other scores from the same set. While there is no universal definition of percentile, it is commonly expressed as the percentage of values in a set of data scores that fall below a given value. Percentiles show how a given value compares to others.
- So Scorpio N getting 5 stars in adult crash test GNCAP rating means that it is among top quartile of all the cars tested under GNCAP system

- But Scorpio N getting 0 stars in adult crash test ANCAP rating means that is is among the bottom quartile of all the cars tested under ANCAP system.

This means ANCAP is giving low weightage to passive safety like strong body structure etc & giving very high weightage to active safety systems like ADAS etc. Conversely, GNCAP gives low or no weightage to ADAS but high weightage to body structure safety.
SmartCat is online now   (51) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:25   #25
BHPian

ANCAP dosent have the regular 40% Offset (fixed) deformable barrier which GNCAP had assessed for ScorpioN instead it has the MPDB which is more stringent from evaluation point of view as it also assesses the damage vehicle causes on the barrier, SUV particularly BoF's are expected to loose points here due to their aggressive behaviour.

Also the dummies used are different which overall can effect the ratings as well.

Overall the ANCAP is more stringent compared to GNCAP, so poor rating was expected, i wouldn't read much into the "0" star as it has some other factors as well, overall i dont see much issues on the structure as such.
Gaur is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:33   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If Mahindra Scorpio N scores Zero in this test, then what about others? I guess they will score in minus for sure.

Not sure what is the exact criteria for these tests. MG also got Zero. Is there any foul play here as these cars are from India and China? Just a doubt.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Just one point. There is a little too much stress given to Active Safety Aids. Basically Driving for Dummies.
I recently used a car with active safety aids and honestly I wasn’t too pleased at the excessive ‘nannying’ that I experienced with it.
But then, I suppose these aids are meant for the largest cross section of drivers with the least number of driving skills.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well, this was expected. What it means is quite complicated, but it's not good for the Indian auto industry's reputation, for sure. As a consumer, the tests don't really reveal anything we didn't know already, although seeing them published by an official safety rating organisation might convince more people and remind them that there are still differences between global models engineered to take on a variety of consumer tests and models engineered just for GNCAP/BNCAP. More differences than we think (not just the ADAS that most media outlets are reporting).

What is worth noting is that ANCAP = Euro NCAP. They aligned their protocols in 2018. Develop for five stars in this test, and except the IIHS you're covered for most other NCAPs around the world. And Mahindra have gone on the record as saying they will (refer Pik-Up concept unveil).

In the short term, it's double trouble for Mahindra because it looks like GNCAP too might have selected the Bolero Neo for their final release. Maybe this is the boost Indian automakers need to actually get right up there with the best globally. That's exactly why Euro NCAP has been a major part of the onslaught of Chinese cars in Europe lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Hyundai Venue has scored 4-star in the same test
In 2019, not 2023. Euro NCAP/ANCAP have made significant changes since then, although some of the tests the Scorpio performed badly in/could not be tested for were certainly performed in 2019 too.

Last edited by ron178 : 14th December 2023 at 18:59.
ron178 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Venue has scored 4-star in the same test with a score of 91% in Adult Occupant Protection (34.9 out of 38). Obviously, this version of the Venue sold in Australia must be one which has been adequately strengthened for that test.

To add context the Scorpio N has scored 44% in the test.

https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati...i/venue/cfd06a
avishar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 18:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
--- That's exactly why Euro NCAP has been a major part of the onslaught of Chinese cars in Europe lately.
Even so all cars from China have performed extremely well in 2023 Euro NCAP tests.

All cars have secured 5 star Euro-NCAP ratings.

Quote:
In 2023, EuroNCAP has put a total of 17 cars to the crash test, including nine electric cars coming from China: Xpeng G9, Xpeng P7, BYD Tang, BYD Seal-U, BYD Seal, BYD Dolphin, Nio EL7, Nio ET5/ET5 Touring, Smart #3. But they were successful and satisfied with the assessment that all cars were rated 5 stars.

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks