Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2023, 20:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Cargo protruding outside of the truck's height & width | A traffic hazard & killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post

https://Youtu.be/enxdCknt9Wk

The truck is hogging the entire road.
For some reason, I was expecting/waiting for it to gain a lift and take-off.

Jokes apart, how can one even think of such stupidity??!
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 23:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cargo protruding outside of the truck's height & width | A traffic hazard & killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himanshu809 View Post
In Delhi, if any commercial vehicle has anything sticking out of the vehicle body in any direction, the cops flag it down right away. .
Cops surely do flag it down, penalize it and then what?
They finally let it GO!

If its already dangerous why isnt it stopped completely and the driver forced to make other safer arrangements?
silverado is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 04:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Through self regulation (let alone conscience) transporters are not going to prioritise safety over cost. Only enforcement with fine along with impounding the vehicle will bring about a change to this audacious violation in the name of cost effectiveness.
The hazard on our roads with the simplest of fixes with the right intent.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 08:27   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
If its already dangerous why isnt it stopped completely and the driver forced to make other safer arrangements?
The driving licences of such errant drivers need to be suspended by the traffic police. Many such sections under the Motor Vehicles Act through which offences are registered empower the traffic police to suspend driving licences. No court intervention is required. But the traffic police has to record the offence details and send it to the concerned RTO from where the driving licence was issued. Tracking such records at two city traffic police zones, I was able to conclude that they seldom get a prompt response from the RTO office who go to sleep with such letters. The cases I saw were concerning drunk driving offences. For the second offence, the licences are suspended for 3 to 6 months and for the third it can be cancelled too.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 08:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Such acts by law violators are barbaric and they need to be booked under provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act and also under criminal provisions of the IPC.
If traffic law and order is implemented strictly, more than half of the driving licence would be cancelled. The super idiotic driving sense of the whole country is definitely an issue of grave concern. People don’t even care for their own lives, and forget caring about someone else’s life on the road.
And what makes it worse is inaction of traffic police. I filed an RTI with the district police to get information regarding the main cause of accidents in my area.
And one particular piece of data was shocking. Out of a total of 4439 traffic challans issued during last year, only 07 (0.15%) were issued for over-speeding/rash driving/wrong overtaking/wrong side driving. This fact is more disturbing when you realise that 78% of accidents in India happen due to over-speeding and driving on the wrong side.
itsbaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Note the following clip

https://Youtu.be/enxdCknt9Wk

The truck is hogging the entire road.
What if an ambulance had to overtake and go.
What is happening on the service lane is not less baffling by any means.

That dumper is speeding like a maniac and everyone seems to be following an LHD driving there.
Old 22nd October 2023, 11:57   #22
BHPian

There's the issue of public transport buses leaning to one side completely (not because there's too many people on one side than the other, empty buses are like this as well sometimes).

In narrow lanes this is extremely anxiety inducing with some final destination vibes even. They'll be occupying more horizontal space than if they were in their original stance.

I've personally encountered 2-3 such buses in Tamil Nadu and it's a nightmare overtaking those. Plus, bus drivers usually occupy more than one lane, it's almost as if they're allergic to the divider and refuse to get closer.
Old 22nd October 2023, 13:56   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
For some reason, I was expecting/waiting for it to gain a lift and take-off.

Jokes apart, how can one even think of such stupidity??!
I am curious. What exactly is that payload ? I remember seeing parts of wind mill being transported which are some of the biggest payloads that hit the roads. Even those were not this wide.

Last edited by electric_eel : 22nd October 2023 at 13:57. Reason: typo
Old 22nd October 2023, 22:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Cops surely do flag it down, penalize it and then what?
They finally let it GO!

Well, you know. That’s how cops are…
Come on this is India. You know how the ball rolls here. Like the famous saying in Delhi goes.

Police aapke liye nahi hai.
Himanshu809 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2023, 20:52   #25
BHPian

I hope something is done by authorities.

A similarly overloaded tractor carrying dry grass resulted in an accident and death of my wife's uncle in March 2022. No matter what we discuss, these things will not change. We need to be attentive and take care of ourselves. Dont expect others to be responsible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks