Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2023, 17:56   #61
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier, Safari score a 5-star rating in Global NCAP crash test

Thank god that Tata got the cars tested in GNCAP and the oil intrusion theory is done and dusted for good. Feeling really proud that our Indian Manufacturers are bringing out global level cars in terms of safety, design, features and also have a big chunk of the market in the D segment, where, other global giants have failed to make a presence. The only way forward left for Tata is to get their ASS and QC game strong and we will have a manufacturer who understands the nerve of Indian Market. Being a Rapid & Altroz owner, I can tell you that the Altroz is a great car but where it lacks behind the Germans is the finesse, quality control and rust management. Rapid is 4 years old and Altroz despite being a 2 year old car is already seeing signs of rusting. Wishing all the best to Tata Motors, they made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Since they waited all these years to send it for crash test, I think there is something extra in the facelift version that helps them acheive this.
I second that.

Last edited by sachin_cs : 17th October 2023 at 17:59. Reason: Using multi quote option
sachin_cs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:24   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
My bad, I thought all 7 airbags were standard. I still don't think the rating is valid for pre facelift variants though. Since they waited all these years to send it for crash test, I think there is something extra in the facelift version that helps them acheive this.
I feel they sent it now because of standardization of safety features right from the base variants like side airbags and ISOFIX which wasn't the case earlier.

I don't think any structural changes might have been made to help negate the flaw with fiat engine that was stopping them from getting it tested earlier.

It's more of a glass half/glass full kind of an approach.

Regardless, Harrier/Safari and Compass are solidly build cars who have helped keep their occupants safe in unfortunate events in past and as they say better late then never, I am glad TATA twins have an "official" rating that would further help bolster the trust that customers are putting in TATA & Mahindra for their and their family's safety.
BleueNinja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:35   #63
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Awesome!

Also, I noticed in the video that some kind of electrical panel was bouncing around in the car making contact with the dummy kid in the car seat. Wonder if this kind of thing is common with crash tests, or if its just the usual "panels falling off" problem with a lot of Tatas .

Attachment 2518294
I think it is a cabin light. can be seen in the GNCAP testing video.
satish.gawai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 18:47   #64
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari and Harrier Score full 5 star Rating in GNCAP

Good job by Tata and well timed too! My only question is can we get an idea of the ratings of the pre-facelift versions in any way? Would they be similar?

I have an August '23 manufactured Harrier.
Old 17th October 2023, 19:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
The facelift grew by 7 mm in length and 28 mm in width. However it is built on the same platform and the underlying chassis and interior dimensions are the same.
I think the extra millimeters on the L,B, and H are all coming from non metal parts, i.e. the claddings. While that is easier to understand for the length it is difficult to understand how is the width increased without any change to the core shell.

I am inclined to think that the ORVMs on new Safari are bigger and bringing those extra 14 mm on either side.
Rodie09 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivrajvp View Post
Hats off to Tata! Are these the only 2 cars in India to achieve full 5 stars in both adult & child safety? This is truly commendable!
No. The Verna achieved the same as did the Skoda VW cousins( Virtus/ Slavia/ Kushaq/ Taigun).
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Now, Tata is the only manufacturer with every car in their portfolio with 4 or 5 star rating (including EVs, tigor EV scored a good 4 stars).
Now, Tata, make your cars totally reliable too.
IIRC the BNCAP Video showed a Safari, Nexon and a Tiago, all in white. So more results would be coming up and if they can pull-off a 5 star on the Tiago, that will be a shocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
We have been looking for a car in this segment for some time now, and the facelift fixes quite a few of the old one’s deal-breakers.
With better QC I can completely see one in our garage in the future.
The Safari's design has been captivating my interest along with the comfy interiors for 5-6 people, for long road trips. No plans but whenever I think of a highway tourer the Safari comes to mind first. Maybe its the ads.

Same story/concern with QC. The moment I saw the new "glass cockpit" of the facelift the first thing that came to mind was driving without instruments
All those "silverbox" stories flashed by. Hope Tata have done a better job at QC this time around and looking towards improvement too.

But kudos to Tata for pushing forward with their focus on safety, good one and good luck

Last edited by shancz : 17th October 2023 at 19:39. Reason: ccl
shancz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:52   #68
BHPian

Outstanding achievement by Tata!
TaMo has truly mastered the art of building structurally safe cars and they have well and truly set the benchmark for the Indian market - they even manage to outdo themselves here with the Safari and Harrier now getting the distinction of being India's highest rated cars on the Global NCAP

The D8 platform these cars are based on is 5+ years old and is still going strong, an engineering marvel indeed!

What's with the timing though GNCAP
I am sure Tata would have submitted these cars hoping the results would be out in time for the media drive past week - had the scores come out during the launch it would have truly made for an unbeatable offering!

Pressure is well and truly on the Koreans and Japanese now to seriously start working on safer cars. There is no excuse to be cost cutting on structural integrity at a time when other manufacturers are showing you can offer a competent car WITH a structurally sound chassis.

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th October 2023 at 21:41. Reason: Max 2 smileys per post please. Thank you.
SutilSapien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutilSapien View Post
What's with the timing though GNCAP
I am sure Tata would have submitted these cars hoping the results would be out in time for the media drive past week - had the scores come out during the launch it would have truly made for an unbeatable offering!
Timing of course is not a co-incidence. It is a well planned well orchestrated exercise and Tata has been mastering this as well. IIRC they did the same timing with Nexon launch.
Rodie09 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 20:50   #70
BHPian

Congrats to Tata Motors for this achievement. Finally all doubts regarding the safety aspect of Harrier/Safari have been allayed. Now competition better watch out.

PS: Safari facelift with those massive 19" wheels looks super macho and awesome
Old 17th October 2023, 21:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

Great news and what a perfect timing! Five star festival season for all Indians who love to drive safe.

I think, and sincerely hope, all Indian cars will be adorned with the 5 coveted stars within the next 2-5 years. Of course, some of them will surely going to miss this, due to engineering limitations and indecisive management.

Natural selection is a mechanism of evolution. Organisms (and organizations) that are more adapted to their environment are more likely to survive and pass on the genes that aided their success.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 17th October 2023 at 21:28.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 21:36   #72
BHPian

How the tables have turned !

Tata once being a "taxi" brand, became one of the most aspiration brand for middle / upper middle class Indian population.

Taking 'safety' aspect as their area of focus and building a strong reputation around it was very smart move. Paired with stunning designs, the strategy worked big time for them.
New Safari and Harrrier is going to be blockbusters and Safari even can steal the show from XUV7OO for sure.

They have a portfolio of 4* and 5* cars now, hoping their QC and A.S.S matches that too.
Asish_VK is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 22:35   #73
Senior - BHPian

There must now be pressure on MG and Toyota-Suzuki to test the Hector and Innovicto for India, at least in Bharat NCAP. Toyota has historically not had a consistent GNCAP strategy but I optimistically wonder if pressure from competition could make them volunteer their cars in the remaining results. It is perhaps the only way Suzuki can fast-track testing of their newer products without seeming like hypocrites.

Even in other segments, my thinking is, if Tata could fix a design-related issue in the middle of the product cycle, so can Kia (and Hyundai). It will be very interesting to see how the handful of remaining Indian-made cars perform in GNCAP. I suspect results will be strongly mixed and some automakers might surprise.

Last edited by ron178 : 17th October 2023 at 22:37. Reason: Forgot about Suzuki
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 22:38   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
I think the extra millimeters on the L,B, and H are all coming from non metal parts, i.e. the claddings. While that is easier to understand for the length it is difficult to understand how is the width increased without any change to the core shell.

I am inclined to think that the ORVMs on new Safari are bigger and bringing those extra 14 mm on either side.
Overall width, as per Indian homologation rules, are taken without factoring in the outside rear view mirrors.
The 28mm overall increase in width, or say roughly, 14mm on each side, may be down to the slight bulge in the bumper sides now housing air curtains.
Old 17th October 2023, 22:55   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
I feel they sent it now because of standardization of safety features right from the base variants like side airbags and ISOFIX which wasn't the case earlier.

I don't think any structural changes might have been made to help negate the flaw with fiat engine that was stopping them from getting it tested earlier.

It's more of a glass half/glass full kind of an approach.

Regardless, Harrier/Safari and Compass are solidly build cars who have helped keep their occupants safe in unfortunate events in past and as they say better late then never, I am glad TATA twins have an "official" rating that would further help bolster the trust that customers are putting in TATA & Mahindra for their and their family's safety.
I happened to see a video done by ZigWheels recorded before this rating came out where they discuss what the TATA team told them about structural changes made to side pole and frontal impact to get into the GNAP ratings; watch around the 25:40 minute here

Krishnan83 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks