Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2023, 15:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Harrier, Safari score a 5-star rating in Global NCAP crash test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Tata knocking it out of the park! kudos to you guys.

But how did they manage to do it? I thought it's not possible with Fiat's Engine in left hand side driven countries.

If it's still possible, Jeep has been ignoring all this while?
It could be the 7th airbag. I remember reading an old thread that driver leg protection was the issue with Fiat engine in right hand drive cars. The additonal airbag below steering probably takes care of that issue. Pre facelift Safari's does not get that airbag. So most likely they wont get this 5 star rating.

This was the related post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4870464 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th October 2023 at 15:57.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 15:57   #47
BHPian

Wow. Congratulations TATA>

Im also interested to find out how they managed to overcome the FCA engine bay- footwell collapse theory.
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:03   #48
BHPian

Excellent news, now where is that petrol engine for Delhi NCR?
Old 17th October 2023, 16:25   #49
BHPian

Congratulations are for sure in order for Tata.
However, the biggest issue with TaMo still stands- RELIABILITY.
Two things they need to fix for sure are consistency and improvement in manufacturing quality (lesser lemons) and service centre attitude. Not just this forum, but even Reddit is full of complaints of Tata service centres. Only once they fix this will they be true competitors to all the Marutis, Hyundais and even Mahindras.
rajk15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:26   #50

Re: Tata Safari and Harrier Score full 5 star Rating in GNCAP

Hats off to Tata! Are these the only 2 cars in India to achieve full 5 stars in both adult & child safety? This is truly commendable!
shivrajvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:27   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Tata knocking it out of the park! kudos to you guys.

But how did they manage to do it? I thought it's not possible with Fiat's Engine in left hand side driven countries.

If it's still possible, Jeep has been ignoring all this while?
Not sure what kind of power steering Jeep is using but Tata has switched from HPS to EPS. Maybe that has something to do with it
Siddj38 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

This should be such a proud moment for Tata. Not only five stars with the new protocols - but a score that will remain hard to match for some time to come!

You know, with good front, side and pole impact protection, ADAS, curtain airbags extending to all rows, three-point seatbelts for all and i-Size compatible rear seats, I can’t help but wonder Tata has export to developed markets on the cards for the future. In terms of safety, this is now almost up there with anything global, unlike some of the older “five-star” cars which focused squarely on one crash test and nothing more.

I am sure they were under pressure after the XUV700’s rating and did whatever they needed to get the Harrier to match. Maybe even some pressure lower down from the Kushaq.

It’s quite a turnaround for the Harrier and Safari because the older ones were woefully equipped when it came to safety. Not just the lapbelt and 2 airbags - some variants didn’t even have ISOFIX (indicating that they certainly didn’t plan to test it). Hard to even compare with this facelift, especially with such a modest price increase.

We have been looking for a car in this segment for some time now, and the facelift fixes quite a few of the old one’s deal-breakers. With better QC I can completely see one in our garage in the future.
ron178 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
It could be the 7th airbag....
The knee airbag is only available in the top end trim and will not contribute to the frontal crash test score. It has to be standard to be factored in.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
It could be the 7th airbag. I remember reading an old thread that driver leg protection was the issue with Fiat engine in right hand drive cars. The additonal airbag below steering probably takes care of that issue. Pre facelift Safari's does not get that airbag. So most likely they wont get this 5 star rating.
The test carried out solely relied on standard set of front and side curtain airbags. Therefore knee airbag had no role over here. If I recall correctly as per the new NCAP protocols base variant would be tested for safety features and then top would be considered for ADAS and pole tests etc.

Moreover, I feel this isn't a generational upgrade but a facelift so the safety rating could very well be applicable on 2020-2022 Harrier with 6 airbags since the structure and chassis stay the same.

Cheers!

Last edited by BleueNinja : 17th October 2023 at 16:46.
BleueNinja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 16:59   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the NCAP protocol is to test the base variant of the car so it might not have anything to do with the knee airbag.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:00   #56
BHPian

Feature rich cars with 5* rating what more can you ask for. From image of taxi making manufacturer to an image of safe feature rich car manufacturer, the journey has been a remarkable one for Tata Motors. The transformation is worth a documentary in itself.

They started almost 8 years back with below portfolio

Jan-2016 - 11k cars a month

2023 Tata Harrier, Safari score a 5-star rating in Global NCAP crash test-screenshot-20231017-153548.png

Now they have the below portfolio.

Sep-2023 - 45k cars a month

2023 Tata Harrier, Safari score a 5-star rating in Global NCAP crash test-screenshot-20231017-154638.png

The reason for this success
1. They came with right launches at the right time
2. Safety was a priority over fuel efficiency
3. Started the EV journey when no one was serious about EVs in India

They have made the right investment of buying Ford's Sanand plant to augment capacity. With two more products in the pipeline - Tata Currv and Tata Sierra, the future is bright for Tata Motors.

Yes, their after sales service is a bit hit or miss. If they improve on that they will be become a formidable force in Indian automobile industry.
ferrarirules is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:05   #57
BHPian

It is a great news for Tata!

It is almost certain that the pre-facelift model wasn't tested all these years because the team at Tata wasn't confident of scoring a 5-star because of the FCA diesel engine oil filter's intrusion( as widely speculated) or some other reason. Whatever the issue was, we can be sure that some fix was applied in the facelift of Harrier/safari.

Any score less than 5 stars would have been detrimental to the image built up Tata since its smaller/cheaper cars(Altroz, Punch and Nexon) scored 5 stars.
skywalker18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The knee airbag is only available in the top end trim and will not contribute to the frontal crash test score. It has to be standard to be factored in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post
The test carried out solely relied on standard set of front and side curtain airbags. Therefore knee airbag had no role over here.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I think the NCAP protocol is to test the base variant of the car so it might not have anything to do with the knee airbag.
My bad, I thought all 7 airbags were standard. I still don't think the rating is valid for pre facelift variants though. Since they waited all these years to send it for crash test, I think there is something extra in the facelift version that helps them acheive this.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 17th October 2023 at 17:17.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:18   #59
BHPian

Safety speculations on Tata flagship offerings are dismissed now once and for all. Tata is THE only car manufacturer in India which has five start safety in all its top five products (Safari twins with the new while Altroz, Punch and Nexon with the old GNCAP protocols)
I wish Hyundai and Kia should also start following this in some of theirs which might force Maruti to prioritize safety in their cars as well. Good times ahead for the Indian car buyers in terms of safety and better structured cars.
khanmaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:52   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari and Harrier Score full 5 star Rating in GNCAP

The facelift grew by 7 mm in length and 28 mm in width. However it is built on the same platform and the underlying chassis and interior dimensions are the same. I wonder if this has contributed to improving the crash test safety raring of this car. The previously discussed concern about intrusion into the footwell area or poor side impact handling - could they be mitigated to some extent by simply increasing the outside dimensions and increasing the extent of thickness of sheet metal used or simply by creating more buffer space for the passenger compartment? Trying to put two and two together in an unscientific way
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks