Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai makes 6 airbags standard across all cars in India

Hyundai has become the first brand in India to offer six airbags across its model range. All cars and SUVs offered by the brand in India now get 6 airbags as standard.

Hyundai makes 6 airbags standard across all cars in India-venue_safetypc.png

Hyundai's product portfolio consists of 13 different models. Most of them were already equipped with six airbags. The safety feature is now available across the remaining three models, including the Grand i10 Nios, Aura and the Venue sub-4 meter SUV.

Earlier, Hyundai had made 3-point seat belts and seat belt reminders standard for all seats across all models. Most of them come equipped with ESC and hill-start assist control as standard. That being said, the Grand i10 Nios, Aura and Exter still miss out on these features.

As per Bharat NCAP guidelines, a vehicle must be offered with ESC as standard for a crash test rating of 3-starts or higher. Therefore, we can expect Hyundai to make this feature standard across its lineup in the near future.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 3rd October 2023 at 17:16.
TusharK is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:02   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai makes 6 airbags standard across all cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai has become the first brand in India to offer six airbags across its model range. All cars and SUVs offered by the brand in India now get 6 airbags as standard.
A very delightful news. Seeing this may be the largest car manufacturer in India takes a leaf out of the second best manufacturer's book. Hyundai is working really hard to up its safety game and it is yielding results. Verna scored a 5 star rating on GNCAP. They have provided 3 more cars for the BNCAP testing.
ferrarirules is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is some marketing and strategic decisioning by Hyundai. When the news of Verna's 5 star rating is fresh in people's mind, smoke them with another good news saying all cars now come with 6 airbags standard. All thoughts of the star rating will now take a back seat in consumers' minds. They have invalidated the most important USP that other manufacturers had over them.

Whether the cars actually meet the star rating or not is another story. But this creates a cloud big enough in the consumer's mind to disregard that detail. Nevertheless, six airbags as standard is a great move.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 3rd October 2023 at 18:58.
padmrajravi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:38   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the information.

Before celebrating this great news, just want to clarify, for the sake of caution - this is standard across all models (of cars sold by Hyundai) and not all variants of a model, correct?

If it's the former (i.e. only models and not variants) then I reckon the headline is a little misleading and would be best to edit and correct it as there's a huge difference between offering 6 airbags in only selected top end variants vs all variants starting from the base.

If it's indeed the latter, then amazing! Something the other car makers in India can learn from for upping the ante on passenger safety in India.

Thanks!

Last edited by Virtualaman : 3rd October 2023 at 18:48.
Virtualaman is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:45   #5
BHPian

Hill-start assist and stability control are available on the Aura SX and SX(O) trim levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtualaman View Post
Thanks for the information.

Before celebrating this great news, just want to clarify, for the sake of caution - this is standard across all models (of cars sold by Hyundai) and not all variants of a model, correct?
All variants, yes. Pls see the updated brochure attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf newaura.pdf (1.50 MB, 163 views)

Last edited by Axe77 : 3rd October 2023 at 21:16. Reason: Merging back to back posts and trimming quoted text.
slango97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:59   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

First the Verna's 5-star GNCAP rating, now this . Hyundai is on a roll. Talk about having your finger on the pulse of the market. Since the last few years, safety has increasingly become a priority for the informed customer. Hyundai took its own sweet time, but well, better late than never.

Now, they had better spread that 5-star crash test rating to other models. Kia has to follow too.

Funky designs (some too funky for my tastes), wide range of engines & transmissions (Petrol ATs, Diesel ATs, CVTs, AMTs, IMTs), expansive feature lists, now a safety focus....Hyundai is on a roll.
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 20:45   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

A second GOOGLY for Maruti in the north, from down south, post the "diesels to remain" decision by HMIL.

Key words for the two googlies:-

(1) Diesels to remain
(2) Six airbags

Awaiting the next from HMIL:-

(1) FIVE STARS across the entire model range.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Earlier, Hyundai had made 3-point seat belts and seat belt reminders standard for all seats across all models. Most of them come equipped with ESC and hill-start assist control as standard. That being said, the Grand i10 Nios, Aura and Exter still miss out on these features.

Link to Team-BHP News
The i10 Nios comes with ESC, VSM & HAC on the Magna(AMT), Sportz and Asta trims. Four airbags and TPMS are standard across all variants. The top end has six airbags. Now I guess this will be standard across all trims.
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:57   #9
BHPian

Well this got me thinking, whats on offer and what more can one ask from Hyundai
- engine options for diesel & petrol -check
- engine option NA & turbo -check
- gearbox options AMT, IMT, DCT, TC -check
- refreshed lineup (2022&2023)of products in all segments -check post Creta facelift launch
- feature rich cars on offer -check
- ADAS & safety features -check
- gncap 5 star safety rating -check and mate (although if this is a one-off is yet to be seen)

I guess only one thing that we should ask off Hyundai, please increase localisation of your products so as to help decrease the trade deficit

https://m.economictimes.com/news/eco...w/98248411.cms
TheFonz is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 07:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

For a cynical self filled with hopelessness on the state of our market (in being a laggard with respect to safety priorities) absolutely elated to see Hyundai stepping up to customer awareness on the same.

A change is underway when it is visible in a mass market brand and thanks in no small measure to MoRTH's relentless push too. I don't now care about a certain market leader's stance anymore
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 07:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Welcome the decision and I can already foresee the chatter in Hyundai showrooms

IMHO Hyundai will take the talk on safety to another level now, they already have taken on an promotion onslaught. With the festive season just around the corner I am looking forward to some interesting numbers for this quarter.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 08:13   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Considering Hyundai and Kia are sister concerns, Kia will follow suit soon, with the Sonet facelift coming out with 6 airbags standard as well (they could have done it in April 2022 itself when they updated the Sonet with 4 airbags as standard but anyway better late). The Seltos and Carens already offer 6 airbags as standard. Now, only if the Seltos achieves a respectable 4 or 5-star BNCAP rating. It is quite possible considering the Verna and the Seltos are based on the same platform, and with the structural reinforcements and safety feature addons.

If Hyundai and Kia commit to achieving 5-star safety on all their cars, there is quite literally nothing stopping them, they would have it all: Engine and gearbox combos (Turbo, N.A with Manual, iMT, AMT, DCT, CVT or TC ), ADAS, extensive feature list, safety and a lengthy list of variants in each car to choose from.

The competition better step up!
bijims is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 09:07   #13
BHPian

Now that 6 airbags are standard across all Hyundai cars, Hyundai really needs to differentiate it's flagship product(Tucson) from others. Tucson offering the same set of features as it's half priced siblings is not justified. Tucson must offer triple zone AC, 9 airbags, wireless android auto/apple car play, a more premium audio system and also a turbo petrol to justify it's price tag. I am sure people won't mind even one or two lakhs price hike with all these features added. And then only, it will really be a flagship and standout product as compared to the other cheaper Hyundai CARS.
axe_deo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 14:56   #14
BHPian

Great move by Hyundai! However, they need to make three proper adjustable rear headrest as a standard feature to go along with the 6 airbags across their entire lineup of cars. They really goofed up with new i20 facelift by deleting headrests in the lower (just neck pillows now) as well as on the top trims (now only 2 in the top trims as opposed to the 3 present in the outgoing models) IMHO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 00:55   #15
BHPian

Hyundai is certainly doing well. This is a welcome move. I personally don’t like Hyundais as such but they are certainly one of the few companies which have cracked the code to the tough nut i.e. the indian market. And I’m happy to see Tata and Mahindra taking the fight to them. I hope the Indian market heats enough to make the Europeans and Japanese to start taking it seriously too. It just all translates to more competition and more choices for the customers.

Off Topic - I don’t understand why Honda doesn’t care, IMHO they have the best shot at giving us good cars, they have exactly the kind of products which India is primed for. Wonder how long will they sit on the fence and be the slowest to enter every segment.
Himanshu809 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks