Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2023, 17:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Made-in-India Hyundai Verna scores 5 stars in the Global NCAP!

Post yesterday's news of Verna getting 5 stars in GNCAP, the one below regarding ADAS plans on entire lineup is great news for Hyundai and Indian automotive scene

https://gaadiwaadi.com/hyundai-exter...announced/amp/
Faramir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 18:15   #77
BHPian

The new Verna is one of the most complete C2 sedan ever launched in India. Already a winner in its segment.
Now this 5 star GNCAP is an icing on the cake. Hope the competition learns a thing or two from this car.
The new Verna nailed it in every aspect of the car. Style, Features, Safety, Power, Value, Space, etc.

They fixed all the shortcomings of the C2 segment sedans so far in a single car.
Kudos to the Hyundai's product planning team for delivering this outstanding product.
Hyundai listened to the people's priority for safer cars especially when homegrown Tata/Mahindra launching 5 star cars one after another.
They made a much safer car this time around with the Verna.
samy1117 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 19:20   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I will definitely do that when I visit, thanks for the info

Though the larger point I was trying to make was that the thickness of body panels isn't an accurate measure of how safe the car is and folks who think so might want to re-visit their logic.
Absolutely agree.
Japanese cars like Corolla and Civic are far from the sturdiness that European and American cars have but they still manage to get perfect safety ratings.
Japanese engineering is truly something else.
blueather is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 19:31   #79
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Looks like GNCAP has tested another Hyundai. Can you identify it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
Stars are discrete nonnegative integers and not linearly correlated with points.

Here is the rule used:
Attachment 2511541
Thanks ron178 for this information. I have another question which I posted on this this thread earlier. Does Body shell integrity rating has any weightage on the calculation of the AOP points and star rating? Or is it just an additional information provided based on the crash testing performance and not considered for the point calculation?
sreejithkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 19:45   #80
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Looks like GNCAP has tested another Hyundai. Can you identify it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
Thanks ron178 for this information. I have another question which I posted on this this thread earlier. Does Body shell integrity rating has any weightage on the calculation of the AOP points and star rating? Or is it just an additional information provided based on the crash testing performance and not considered for the point calculation?
Yes, there is a 1-point penalty to the driver's chest score for an unstable passenger compartment, and a 1-point penalty for the driver's feet for a ruptured footwell. The Verna attracted both penalties.

Additionally, when either of the 2 penalties above are applied, the car manufacturer is also not allowed to provide sled test evidence to contest 2 unrelated 1-point penalties for the knees. So although unstable structure alone is only -1 point, more often than not in practice, it indirectly leads to a loss of 3 points.

---

Trivia: the made-in-India Accent was recently launched in Panama, and doesn't get ADAS. So the Virtus is still likely to have bragging rights in Latin NCAP - not that it matters here.

Last edited by ron178 : 4th October 2023 at 20:06.
ron178 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 23:57   #81
BHPian

A fast car from a dying segment receiving a 5-star rating from a company that has been slightly off-color of late for uninspiring crash ratings is delightful news. Here are my two cents on a few critical aspects as we move on

Positive Aspects:

The Hyundai Verna achieved a perfect 5-star safety rating, which is a significant milestone for the company. This reflects positively on Hyundai's commitment to safety and engineering capabilities.
Standard safety features like 6 airbags, ESC, rear ISOFIX mounts, and seatbelt reminders for all seats demonstrate a strong focus on occupant protection.

Bodyshell Integrity:

The assessment of bodyshell integrity being labeled as unstable is a notable concern. This indicates a potential vulnerability in the structural integrity of the car, particularly in situations involving high-impact collisions. This is a crucial aspect that needs to be addressed for overall safety improvement.

Adult Occupant Protection:

The Verna performed reasonably well in adult occupant protection, scoring 28.18 out of a possible 34 points. This indicates that, overall, the vehicle provides good protection for adult occupants in various crash scenarios.
However, the concerns regarding chest and knee protection for both driver and passenger are significant areas of improvement.

Child Occupant Protection:

The Verna scored well in child occupant protection, achieving a total score of 42 out of 49 points. This is commendable and indicates a strong focus on the safety of younger passengers.
The perfect score for Child Restraint System installation and dynamic score highlights Hyundai's dedication to child safety.

Safety Features:

The inclusion of Electronic Stability Control and adherence to UN 127 and GTR9 pedestrian protection standards are commendable. These features enhance overall vehicle stability and safety.
Concerns with CRS Installation:

The inability to deactivate the front passenger airbag when a rear-facing CRS is installed raises a potential safety concern for young passengers. This should be addressed to ensure optimal child occupant protection.

Post-Impact CRS Failure:

The observed Child Restraint System failure after the side impact test is a concerning incident. While attributed to a one-time occurrence, this highlights the importance of rigorous testing and quality control in the manufacturing process.

Comparison with Competitors:

The comparison with the Slavia and Virtus in the midsize sedan segment indicates that while all three cars achieved 5-star ratings, the Verna's performance was slightly less impressive in terms of adult occupant protection and body shell integrity.
In conclusion, while the Hyundai Verna demonstrates commendable safety features and achievements, the concerns regarding bodyshell integrity, chest protection, and CRS installation need to be addressed to further enhance the vehicle's overall safety performance.

Cheers
Kuldeep31 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:31   #82
BHPian

Well done Hyundai!

What this will do is now all of a sudden, many people would hear a solid THUD while shutting the doors of the Verna, who otherwise would have heard a nervous THUNK till the end of last week!
Emvi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 13:29   #83
Senior - BHPian

The interesting thing is, the teaser Siddharth Patankar had uploaded does not match the Verna’s test at all, and I am confident it is for the car-to-car crash test organised for global media during the IAA Mobility event.

If I had to hazard a guess, Stellantis could be getting the short end of the stick.
ron178 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 14:48   #84
BHPian

Recently heard on the Motor Inc episode on the Nexon being symmetrically safe (Front Driver and passenger side). While as an ecosystem we are gaining with safer cars - are manufacturers doing just enough to get a rating ?

Shouldn’t the unstable body shell be grounds enough to not warrant a high star rating ?
Old 5th October 2023, 17:11   #85
sbm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
The interesting thing is, the teaser Siddharth Patankar had uploaded does not match the Verna’s test at all, and I am confident it is for the car-to-car crash test organised for global media during the IAA Mobility event.

If I had to hazard a guess, Stellantis could be getting the short end of the stick.
Hi @ron178. Can you say whether the platforms of the new Verna, the upcoming Creta facelift, or the new Seltos are the same? A friend is planning to buy a new crossover in the 4.3-meter range, and if Creta or Seltos can achieve similar ratings, they'll be a great option.
sbm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 17:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Hi @ron178. Can you say whether the platforms of the new Verna, the upcoming Creta facelift, or the new Seltos are the same? A friend is planning to buy a new crossover in the 4.3-meter range, and if Creta or Seltos can achieve similar ratings, they'll be a great option.
Yes, all three are based on the same K2 platform of Hyundai-Kia in India whereas the Seltos sold in South Korea, the US, and Canada are based on the B-SUV platform (2017).
bijims is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 20:21   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm View Post
Sorry I really don't know much about Hyundai's platforms and architecture. Better ask someone who is keenly interested in them.

Not sure how the Kia Carens is related to the Seltos - I believe there has been much discussion on that here on the forum - but what I can tell you is that Kia have paid GNCAP for a complete retest for the Carens some time between June and August (not just additional tests for the new protocols).

If it improves then hopefully they will do the same with other models like Kia Seltos because I think all this improvement is being directed by HMG global HQ after all the bad PR in multiple "emerging markets". One by one they have been dramatically improving their ratings in Latin NCAP and now even GNCAP.

At least in terms of crash performance Hyundai's Verna seems more similar to their i20 than Creta to me. Not sure if it is because of a different platform or because the i20 was already improved (structurally) before Creta but its crashworthiness was closer to the Verna than Creta. I suspect that the frontal offset performance the Verna actually produced is what Hyundai were originally expecting from the i20 too if its airbag had deployed correctly.
ron178 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 06:26   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Brezza and Grand Vitara are based on the Suzuki Global C Platform which is known for its safety prowess. If Maruti has done its homework and I am sure it did, these will definitely score 5 stars in the BNCAP. Moreover, with Maruti sending the Fronx for the BNCAP tests as well, I am sure it will also be a good performer.
Pure assumptions, let us wait for the actual test results before coming to any conclusions.

Quote:
So, with that, if Maruti wants to, it can and will update its portfolio to get better safety ratings starting with the new Swift which will launch soon, followed by the updates of all its cars.
So why hasn't it updated it's vehicles for safety? What is taking the largest car manufacturer of India so much time? Let me burst your bubble, Maruti only cares for the fat margins, nothing else. Bad press, brand bashing has probably moved Hyundai to give us a safer car and this is really great news as it benefits us, the end users to have a safe choices in the market.

My point earlier was, now with the Verna getting 6 stars I hope Tata, Hyundai sales figures can also force Maruti to give us the quality products that it already is supplying to the rest of the world.
Old 6th October 2023, 09:36   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Pure assumptions, let us wait for the actual test results before coming to any conclusions.

So why hasn't it updated it's vehicles for safety? What is taking the largest car manufacturer of India so much time? Let me burst your bubble, Maruti only cares for the fat margins, nothing else. Bad press, brand bashing has probably moved Hyundai to give us a safer car and this is really great news as it benefits us, the end users to have a safe choices in the market.

My point earlier was, now with the Verna getting 6 stars I hope Tata, Hyundai sales figures can also force Maruti to give us the quality products that it already is supplying to the rest of the world.
Not an assumption, as I know for a fact (as I have some confidential sources) and the same will be validated when the results come out, do you think Maruti is so foolish to send 3 cars for a voluntary safety assessment if they know they won't score well? They have done their homework on these last few launches in 2022 and 2023 and it will show not only in sales figures but also in safety parameters as well.

Maruti knows when to act and how to, they are a huge company and relies on margins, they know the trend and the population of people who care for safety, especially in the budget segment, where there are hardly any options, in the segments higher up, they have acted upon and will continue to do so.

Maruti dictates the market in India, even safety protocols, why do you think the BNCAP was voluntary? Anyways, I appreciate manufacturers who are sending their cars to the NCAP, it provides a statement that they care for safety.

The cars Maruti is sending for BNCAP are global models, so there is nothing inferior in quality here for India. The Grand Vitara sold in the Middle East, Africa, and Asian markets is the same one as in India with no differences at all. The same is the case with the Fronx, although it gets the same engine as the Brezza overseas.

Anyways most manufacturers who had neglected safety have woken up over the years with the NCAP and it is starting to show. Don't be surprised by the number of 4 and 5-star safety-rated cars in the BNCAP tests as well. Hyundai has been proactively taking this up now with this excellent result for the Verna and I am sure this will continue with their newer launches as well, including the Exter and upcoming Creta.

So, those bashing manufacturers for poor safety wouldn't have to do so for much longer.
bijims is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 09:55   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post

I don't know why you hate Maruti when the market loves it, moreover, these are not assumptions, they are based on facts and the intent shown by Maruti as well as previous results of these cars and similar platform cars from other NCAPs.

Maruti took its own sweet time because it could and knows when is the right time and when it's too late, its customer base is hugely consolidated in the budget segment where costs and margins are important to achieve a price point. Now with the market sentiment moving towards the willingness to pay more for safer cars, they are acting upon it. Earlier most consumers in that segment were looking for reliable, mileage-providing cars at least cost, now the mindset has changed and the manufacturers have acted upon it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijims View Post
Anyways most manufacturers who had neglected safety have woken up over the years with the NCAP and it is starting to show. Don't be surprised by the number of 4 and 5-star safety-rated cars in the BNCAP tests as well. Hyundai has been proactively taking this up now with this excellent result for the Verna and I am sure this will continue with their newer launches as well, including the Exter and upcoming Creta.

So, those bashing manufacturers for poor safety wouldn't have to do so for much longer.
I completely agree with you here, and this will definitely be the case, Global NCAP has more or so accomplished its goal and now BNCAP will take it forward and manufacturers will surely want to achieve a good rating for the sake of getting over with their customer base, and projecting their cars as safer choices.

Over the next few crash tests, it will become evident that 4 and 5-star safety-rated cars will become the norm.

Good for the consumers!
yedukrishnan199 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks