Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2023, 06:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Made-in-India Hyundai Verna scores 5 stars in the Global NCAP!

VW/ Skoda/ TML/ Mahindra/ Honda/ Renault- Nissan/ Jeep need to amp their safety quotient and make 6 airbags as minimum standard. It should not take a Hyundai to force this move upon them. Hopefully they will do it effective this year. The others are beyond redemption probably.
Old 4th October 2023, 08:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

That uplifting cabin experience is now backed by 5 stars safety, well done Hyundai

Hopefully this also gives the 5 star crowd something to ponder upon as now one of the cars without the thick sheet metal they keep parroting about has now scored the 5.

Good times ahead and looking forward to even more cars achieving 5 stars with BNCAP.

Last edited by shancz : 4th October 2023 at 08:05. Reason: typo
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 09:20   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
That uplifting cabin experience is now backed by 5 stars safety, well done Hyundai

Hopefully this also gives the 5 star crowd something to ponder upon as now one of the cars without the thick sheet metal they keep parroting about has now scored the 5.

Good times ahead and looking forward to even more cars achieving 5 stars with BNCAP.
Please go ahead to the nearest Hyundai showroom and try lifting the bonnet of the new Verna. You will be pleasantly surprised how heavy it feels, much heavier than other cars with greater kerb weight.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 09:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
Please go ahead to the nearest Hyundai showroom and try lifting the bonnet of the new Verna. You will be pleasantly surprised how heavy it feels, much heavier than other cars with greater kerb weight.
I will definitely do that when I visit, thanks for the info

Though the larger point I was trying to make was that the thickness of body panels isn't an accurate measure of how safe the car is and folks who think so might want to re-visit their logic.
shancz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 10:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
I will definitely do that when I visit, thanks for the info

Though the larger point I was trying to make was that the thickness of body panels isn't an accurate measure of how safe the car is and folks who think so might want to re-visit their logic.
Toyota Etios is one car that comes to my mind. It secured 4 stars as per the previous GNCAP protocol.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 11:28   #66
BANNED

Great job. Even though they have scored 5 star it will not sell much as it's a sedan. Hope they will do same job for new Creta and Venue which are selling like hot cakes.
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 11:43   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
It is just that they blatantly designed cars in a less safe manner for India to cut cost and boost margins, despite knowing that given their sales volumes, those less safe cars are statistically certain to kill some people
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
They knew how to make safe cars, but chose not to for greedy profits while treating our lives as trash..
This second grade treatment for us needs to stop
Completely agree with both your views. I have experienced some great Hyundai and Kia cars in the middle East for a decade and it is this second grade treatment to us Indians that boils my blood.

I have always been critical of Hyundai and Maruti, but I'm really happy to see this result. Hyundai should act quickly and pass on this safety to other models. Strike while the iron is hot! I'm not an expert so I can't judge what the Unstable body shell means in a real world crash scenario. Credit to Hyundai for getting 5 stars on the Verna.

Yesterday I went for a long test drive in the Jimmy (more on that later) and I brought up the Safety aspect. The Nexa sales manager blatantly told me "all maruti cars are rated 4.5 stars by the govt. and without this rating we cannot sell any car. GNCAP is a third party and their results are only propaganda by the competition. Maruti only sells because of 3 things, Mileage, Resale and service centres. NCAP ratings are not important since people are still buying us for mileage." God above only knows what rating he was speaking about!

Anyways, with this attitude I really hope Tata, and now Hyundai can drastically affect Maruti's sales.

Last edited by John316_WRC : 4th October 2023 at 11:52. Reason: Added a point.
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 11:56   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajk15 View Post
Seems so! Alas G-NCAP has it's ways of scoring and giving stars

Agreed! City's already weakening sales due to competition and cannibalization may just worsen

To be very honest, even I first went and checked G-NCAP's Youtube channel

*City, Slavia and Virtus crying in corner

Here's a meme that perfectly captures the moment
Attachment 2511540
Why would City, Slavia and Virtus be crying in the corner? This sounds so much like a fanboy comment. All those 3 cars are perfectly good cars and have so much going for them. There's still a large number of enthusiasts who will pick the Virtus/Slavia over Verna for its handling, driving dynamics and understated design. Verna getting those 5-stars is good for the overall segment and gives customers more choice when it comes to picking a safe car.
Gurudatt28227 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 12:02   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John316_WRC View Post
Anyways, with this attitude I really hope Tata, and now Hyundai can drastically affect Maruti's sales.
Maruti is not a company that sits silently on declining sales, They are constantly studying the market and the competition and will deliver products accordingly. Maruti understood that SUVs are the trend and they acted upon it and brought in the new Brezza in 2022, followed by the Grand Vitara and Fronx, and now all of them are best-sellers, with Maruti now the top-selling SUV maker in India.

Moreover, the current SUV crop, Brezza and Grand Vitara are based on the Suzuki Global C Platform which is known for its safety prowess. If Maruti has done its homework and I am sure it did, these will definitely score 5 stars in the BNCAP. Moreover, with Maruti sending the Fronx for the BNCAP tests as well, I am sure it will also be a good performer.

So, with that, if Maruti wants to, it can and will update its portfolio to get better safety ratings starting with the new Swift which will launch soon, followed by the updates of all its cars.

So, it is a good time in the Market to get safer cars and I am sure all companies will take notice and ensure that safety gets first priority.
bijims is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 12:07   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatt28227 View Post
Why would City, Slavia and Virtus be crying in the corner? This sounds so much like a fanboy comment. All those 3 cars are perfectly good cars and have so much going for them. There's still a large number of enthusiasts who will pick the Virtus/Slavia over Verna for its handling, driving dynamics and understated design. Verna getting those 5-stars is good for the overall segment and gives customers more choice when it comes to picking a safe car.
I'm not by any measure, a Hyundai fanboy. Full disclosure- I am a Honda fanboy and have been rooting for their comeback for more than 5 years now. However, as others have pointed out as well, these three are surely going to take a hit in terms of sales numbers- because let's face it, the. Verna is the most logical overall package today.
It's more reliable than VW/Skoda and there are no apprehensions about Hyundai packing their bags unlike Honda.
Agree with your PoV of enthusiasts, but what I wanted to point out was that people who would've been concerned about the safety aspect as a primary decision-maker will now more likely be inclined towards Verna VS the Germans; I'm talking about 1st time would be VAG customers who care a little less about driving dynamics (not the VAG enthusiasts/fans). As for Honda, it's only my wishful thinking that they make a strong comeback with better interiors and perhaps a self volunteered crash test with good ratings.
rajk15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 12:32   #71
BHPian

Awesome to hear this - Thanks Hyundai.

Having lost some near ones in road accidents, learnt importance of GNCAP ratings couple of years back. Still remember while purchasing Swift vdi 15 years back - didnt opted for vdi optional which had ABS - just to save some 25K odd money - but now having experienced ABS multiple times - cant say enough - thank God - nowadays almost all cars comes with this as standard. Last car was Brezza - 4 star and current is Venue N Line again 4 star - though in some other NCAP - not Global. Fingers crossed

Last edited by Ashdel : 4th October 2023 at 12:35. Reason: missed adding some content - sorry
Old 4th October 2023, 12:57   #72
BHPian

At last Hyundai wakes up from slumber.

Now it's high time Maruti wakes up too by understanding and delivering their products as per the current trend.

Good job Hyundai
Old 4th October 2023, 13:07   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna new TVC.

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:06   #74
BHPian

Excellent news for us customers and the market! Atleast they are focusing on the more important, SAFETY aspect, apart from feature loading etc. 5 stars matter a lot even though this doesn't set any benchmark in the market or segment with their unstable body shell.

However, one shouldn't worry too much about the sales of VW/Skoda counterparts. Although, I agree they should improve some of their aspects too like features, QC etc. But I'd anyday purchase one of those as compared to the ugly inside-out Verna. Inside too, yes, I'm no fan of those Good quality interiors which really look bad to me. The bezel filled screens in plastic enclosing (very different from the beautifully executed Seltos 2023) and poor drivers display interior. Exteriors are just These looks, although subjective, easily trump every other positive in the Verna for me.

So there's always a lot to do for all the manufacturers for an all round product. Probably if the Seltos scores 5 stars too, it'll be the nearest to perfect product in the entire market, in my opinion.
RaiAnish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 15:36   #75
BHPian

Undoubtedly a significant milestone for Hyundai in India. The structural integrity of the vehicle's body should also be a priority to ensure that it can withstand impacts effectively.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks