Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:35   #31

Re: Made-in-India Hyundai Verna scores 5 stars in the Global NCAP!

As a former Verna owner, this still has a way of bringing joy to me🤭Great work form Hyundai. Where are the haters now!
Arshzh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:40   #32
BHPian

The bodyshell might not withstand additional impact but if this is the level of safety performance that the car is able to give me at impact speeds of 65kmph, I can safely assume that the car is safe for my family and friends.

Good job Hyundai. If Exter goes on to do the same, we are going to live in Hyundai infested Indian roads. Hyundai already has the bling, now has the safety and if not better performance than the VAG twins and is also as reliable and comfortable as the City now.

This is a game changer. As a City and Honda loyalist, I know that City is going to lose a lot of its customers but Honda brought this onto themselves by not being futuristic which they so advertise themselves as.

A huge win for Hyundai, guess we now have someone that can understand the market and its needs.
broke_enthu27 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:49   #33
BHPian

This is an excellent result from Hyundai. After the i20/Creta/Seltos results, I had kept my rating expectations low on the Hyundai, but they have delivered with the Verna What's in the store with the Exter Hyundai? Are you ready to punch the Punch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajk15 View Post
*City, Slavia and Virtus crying in corner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
I don't know if you know this, but the made in India VW Virtus and Skoda Slavia are also 5 star rated cars as per GNCAP.
Well - Its true that Slavia and Virtus have 5 star rating, but they do have a lot to worry now. "Safety" was one of their unique USPs in the competition. A safety conscious buyer had to let go of Koreans' feature packaging and diesel engines in favour of VW/Skoda for the build quality and with this result, Verna has nullified the safety equations. In fact, Verna even makes it better by providing ADAS which the VW/Skoda twins lack.
skarthiksr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Name:  Mater_Cars.png
Views: 684
Size:  98.6 KB

Suddenly Maruti looks like Mater in Radiator Springs... New gen cars like Tata, Mahindra, Hyundai took Route66 and avoiding the old'n'dusty Radiator springs...
svsantosh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:01   #35
BHPian

Hyundai Verna scoring 5 stars in GNCAP will definitely boost their sales, eating into the market share of the VW Virtus and Skoda Slavia for whom safety was one of their USPs.

Hopefully, the Kia Seltos facelift and upcoming Hyundai Creta facelift will also do better than before and score at least 4 stars.

Also, I believe that sponsoring the test has been a prerequisite for a 5-star rating in GNCAP.
skywalker18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:07   #36

The only issue with Hyundai Verna was it's questionable safety. These results are amazing if not the best. Would have loved to see a stable body shell from Hyundai but this is an amazing step from the Koreans in the right direction. This will surely put a dent in the VAG twins sales.
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:08   #37
BHPian

Amazing news. Hyundai waking up from slumber and joining the safety bandwagon is great news for all. An absolute win for Indian Customers .

One of the last cars to be tested as part of the "safe cars for India" program by GNCAP has the potential to be the most significant test ever done for India. This will push Hyundai/ Kia to give safer versions of their blockbuster cars. This will also push the giants of India to tick one of the last checkboxes in their "To-Do" list. Thankfully this test is done after the car has been on the market for a few months. Also, being from a dying segment, there is no way Hyundai can suddenly charge a premium as public response won't be positive.

Few Pointers.

1. So now Hyundai has cars costing more than Verna where crash testing is not done. So the whole "Harrier not tested but Punch/Nexon is" gang should now add Hyundai also into that list.

2. As GTO mentioned, Verna is now almost a near-perfect package which is rare in any segment/price point. When did we earlier have a powerful, well-equipped, safe, reliable car at realistic prices?

3. GNCAP will now have a backlash from Auto communities as to how a car having an unstable bodyshell can get a 5-star rating. The Anti NCAP gang just got a new ammunition and they won't waste it for sure.

4. This means that the facelift Creta is going to be a 5-star-rated car. Surely Hyundai cannot ignore this right?

5. As mentioned above, MSIL cannot afford to ignore this now. They have made a huge leap in the last 1-2 years with so many things we thought they would never achieve. This is one of the last things they need to take care of and I am sure there will be lots of discussions happening at the MSIL office today.

6. I am sure Hyundai/Kia salespeople are going to use these results to boast that even Creta/Seltos is also 5-star rated.

Hyundai wasting no time to advertise it as it should!
Attached Thumbnails
Made-in-India Hyundai Verna scores 5 stars in the Global NCAP!-verna.jpg  

Last edited by RaghuVis : 3rd October 2023 at 16:23. Reason: Added picture
RaghuVis is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai also seems to be well commited to the BNCAP program. I think they just needed a public announcement from GNCAP on the Verna scores. Regarding unstable body shell, I still would like to understand the point of making that observation if it does not amount to much, qualitatively or quantitatively speaking. Just trying to draw a ( somewhat crude) parallel with the aircraft static wing load test. The desired requirement is to achieve the ability to reach 150% of the design load, but some planes have managed to go well past 150, some barely made it, and some others like the Airbus A380 initially scored 146 % but were allowed to pass after demonstrating structural reinforcements.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 3rd October 2023 at 16:17.
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:17   #39
BANNED

For all those who want to understand how GNCAP works, this video sums it up well. Make your own decision, and enjoy whichever car you choose as per requirements.

aseem23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:20   #40
BHPian

WOW! This is big from Hyundai & great news for the Indian car buying consumer... I wonder if the new Kia Seltos has also undergone the GNAP tests, that would address the biggest chink in its armor.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:22   #41
BHPian

I was holding booking a Virtus GT and this was the moment I waited for. Turned out to be a wait well worth it . I just couldn't come into terms with the "VW package" and the associated risks for 23+ lacs.
kpkeerthi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:25   #42
Senior - BHPian

I just had an interesting conversation with my sister about this 5 star safety business. She being a( bhp agnistoc) lawyer, said the following " no matter how well you draft an agreement/ contract in its entirety, the true test lies in enforcing it. And very often you wish you never want to do so".
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:28   #43
BHPian

This is a win for Indian consumers.

A Big company with already huge sales numbers like Hyundai had to bow down and work on safety for the Indian market and sponsor tests where they could have easily gone their usual way. This is a testament to how India has matured as a customer base and also brings back faith in voice of customer.

Moreover this now puts pressure on existing players who were touting good safety ratings and cutting down on features (read VAG twins) to pull up their socks.
TheFonz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajk15 View Post

*City, Slavia and Virtus crying in corner

Here's a meme that perfectly captures the moment
Attachment 2511540
Great going Hyundai, they have sensed the shift towards requirement of safer cars. Hope to see their other cars fair the safety test.

Now the question is, what excuse is Maruti going to give? Their nearest competitor has upped the game now, man, I love competition.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 3rd October 2023 at 16:56.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to Hyundai for listening to feedback & improving on Safety. Coming all the way from borderline 3* to 5* in itself is a huge feat.

However am a little confused now. The Alto scored 2* & was rated with a stable bodyshell. But even with a 5* rating Verna scores an unstable bodyshell? So does this mean Alto's chasis is sturdier than Verna's @64kmph but due to lack of safety features like ESP/6 airbags etc the star rating is lower incase of Alto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
But, the most important thing is that their bodyshell has been rated as "Stable".
Am sure that detail will be lost in marketing & as correctly mentioned by many here general public won't bother about such details.

Last edited by SoumenD : 3rd October 2023 at 17:12.
SoumenD is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks