Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2023, 20:25   #76
BHPian

Re: Auto Hold: Most convenient yet neglected feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
My Tata Safari diesel AT has this button.

If the button is pressed the Autohold icon comes on the display. As soon as the vehicle comes to a stand still in traffic or at the lights, it engages and the display turns green. One does not have to move the gear stick to N or P. The vehicle moves forward only on pressing the accelerator. If this button is not pressed then one has to keep the brakes pressed and the creep/crawl will happen on taking foot off the brake pedal.

The other thing I have noticed is that the engine note / rev turns a notch down when using the autohold feature as opposed to not using it and keeping the brake pedal depressed when stopped. So I am assuming that it does have some play on the engine as well and not just on the brakes. This, I am assuming, also puts less stress on the engine and auto gear box. If the signals take a long time the the parking brake engages automatically.

Also, when moving in sparse traffic if I leave the button on, then it takes more of a accelerator pedal push to get the vehicle to pick up speed.

It is a really convenient feature in heavy traffic, with frequent starts and stops as happens in any urban roads, especially the ones like we have in Kerala. I am all for its use.

Cheerio
Specific to Safari, do you know if there is any downside if one forgets to disengage auto hold and continues to drive so even in a cruising traffic for long. I hope there is no detrimental effect on the car as it is very much possible to forget this in engaged position. Asking this as I read somewhere or some video advising against using auto hold engaged all the time.
Rodie09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 21:22   #77
Senior - BHPian

Auto-hold is a god-send when driving on roads with a lot of traffic lights. It is just becoming more common in mid variants in mainstream US cars now.

It will become a 'standard' feature in 5 years. (If the government hasn't forced us to drive EVs by then)
Old 17th September 2023, 21:31   #78
BHPian

My only problem with auto-hold is that it does not shift transmission to N (atleast after a while). It stresses the brakes more. So I shift to N and brake manually.

Last edited by mkc15 : 17th September 2023 at 21:36.
Old 18th September 2023, 06:41   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
Specific to Safari, do you know if there is any downside if one forgets to disengage auto hold and continues to drive so even in a cruising traffic for long. I hope there is no detrimental effect on the car as it is very much possible to forget this in engaged position. Asking this as I read somewhere or some video advising against using auto hold engaged all the time.
Hi

As I mentioned in my post, on open roads when the autohold button is armed, I do feel the engine straining a bit and it takes longer to accelerate. Almost feels like there is engine braking at play, if you know what I mean.

So, I engage the autohold button only in heavy traffic. Come open roads, I disengage it. Its just a matter of pressing a button.
Having the feature is definitely a boon.

Cheerio
alphadog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 07:12   #80
GTE
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

The one situation where autohold should be switched off is parking, as it is more of a hindrance.
GTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 09:01   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

As I mentioned in my post, on open roads when the autohold button is armed, I do feel the engine straining a bit and it takes longer to accelerate. Almost feels like there is engine braking at play, if you know what I mean.

So, I engage the autohold button only in heavy traffic. Come open roads, I disengage it. Its just a matter of pressing a button.

Cheerio
Thanks mate! I haven't noticed that though but will try to observe the next time. If true, that kind of makes my fear true that it may have a detrimental effect on the car if the engine is trying to accelerate but auto hold is pulling it down. If this is through the brake pads, even worse as the brake pad wear would be much faster.

This reminds me of some instances in past (am sure all of us have had our share of this) where one would would miss to completely engage the parking brake (conventional hand brake) and drive and only after some distance one would notice that parking brake light on cluster is still on.
Old 18th September 2023, 09:25   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Cheerio
Do you know what is the situation with EVs like Nexon EV Max. I would assume this is not a problem but the manual does not say anything about it. In fact I think some parts of it, like one should put the car in N if you are stuck in traffic I guess is cut and paste from NExon petrol AMT .
Old 18th September 2023, 09:57   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I have never observed any engine strain in my Honda City with the Auto Hold engaged. I keep it on mostly and have not seen any difference in power in the city or highway drives. Only due to force of habit from my other automatic where Auto Hold is not available, I end up moving the gear to N when the signal stop is long. While this is a big plus in Bangalore traffic, the feature obviously has limited value on open roads.

In fact, my grouse is that I've to remember to press the Auto Hold button every time I start the car. I have to review the manual to see if there is any setting to always enable it when car is started
Old 18th September 2023, 11:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Cheerio
So after 7 months, finally used the Auto Hold feature.

It is smooth and really works well in traffic. It definitely gives our feet a well-deserved rest.

The only con noticed is that during idling the rpm is slightly more when auto hold is activated, compared to when the gear is in P or D. As of now, no issue found while accelerating.

As mentioned above I activate only in city/dense traffic conditions. Otherwise, it is kept off.
Old 18th September 2023, 12:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Auto-Hold: Long-press the brake pedal at a traffic light (in "D") and then take your foot off the brake pedal. The car will stay in place. When the light turns green, simply press the accelerator to drive away.

Originally Posted by Jeroen
It is available on some manual cars too. My 2010 Mini One has it too. It will hold the brakes for just a couple of seconds, so you don’t need to apply handbrakes

That's hill-hold, buddy. Not auto-hold.
Now is this Auto hold or hill hold?

Does auto hold also works on an incline surface? Can it be replacement to hand brake when parking temporarily (engine running) on an inclined surface?
Old 1st October 2023, 08:12   #86
BHPian

I am looking for a car with auto hold and electric parking brake.Is there a car with lower on road price than Creta with auto hold? I could find only MG Astor CVT. Whether Honda City non-hybrid has these functions?
Old 1st October 2023, 20:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathin View Post
I am looking for a car with auto hold and electric parking brake.Is there a car with lower on road price than Creta with auto hold? I could find only MG Astor CVT. Whether Honda City non-hybrid has these functions?
Hyundai Verna 1.5 Turbo Dct SX(O) is coming with autohold
greyhound82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 22:32   #88
BHPian

There is some discussion about AH in DCT/ DSG but how does it work in CVT (Hector Sharp AT-P)? I understand AH disengages the clutch but is the engine still running in a gear? Or is it as good as N? Wouldn't this decrease the brake pad life and also the mileage?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 20:53   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post

Does auto hold also works on an incline surface? Can it be replacement to hand brake when parking temporarily (engine running) on an inclined surface?
Yes, auto hold works on inclined surface also. I've used it many times.

Don't know about the other cars, but in the new Verna the parking brake is automatically engaged if the car has been standing with auto hold for quite some time (not sure how many minutes, never counted it).
Old 16th October 2023, 09:49   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLife_MyCar View Post
Don't know about the other cars, but in the new Verna the parking brake is automatically engaged if the car has been standing with auto hold for quite some time (not sure how many minutes, never counted it).
Its a standard feature of Auto Hold and varies between 3-10 mins depending on the make/model. This is to prevent stressing out the hydraulics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGirl_Dad View Post
It does work on most inclines. And no, its not a replacement for handbrakes, its only a replacement for having to keep your foot on the brakes.

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 16th October 2023 at 09:51.

Most Viewed