Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2023, 18:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Hold: Most convenient yet neglected feature!

I have this in the Harrier, but don't use it.

For those who do use it, does this impact the life of your brake discs/pads? The jerkiness with which the car moves from AH was the primary reason for me to stop using it and I always feel this will eat up the discs faster.
Old 12th September 2023, 18:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amahale View Post
I have both Auto-Hold and Auto Start/Stop feature in my XUV700. I like both of these features, but they don't like each other And just to add to this, I like the creep feature as well.

Let me explain: When the car comes to a stand still, the engine switches off due to Auto Start/Stop. The engine will remain off till I remove my foot off the break. Now if I want to relax my foot in a long traffic stop, I can use the auto-hold feature. But as soon I release the break, the engine starts.
So there is no way I can have the engine off and engage Auto-hold (other than manually turning off the engine or until the manufacturer updates the software to fix this).
Today, i tried the Auto-Hold in my new Kia Seltos, and found out Auto-Hold and Auto Start/Stop works great together. When you come to stand-still you need to press the break for 1-2 seconds and the Auto-Hold glows green from Grey state, then remove your legs and in few seconds engine stops.

When the traffic signal is on, you press the accelerator, the engine starts and Auto-Hold disengages and cars moves ahead.

Just needs to be little careful till you get used to it, especially in bumper to bumper traffic, when you need to press accelerator little bit more than when not using Auto-Hold, it can creep forward little more than you expects when Auto-Hold disengages.
shamanth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 19:34   #63
BHPian

After driving MT's all my life, I switched to AT's some 3-4 years back and I dont think I cant ever go back. Its funny how, during the first few months of my first AT, how I did not notice the Auto Hold feature. I was too consumed with the joys of cruise control and freedom from Clutch, but as I started using Auto Hold I loved it!! To not have to continuously hold the brake paddle, during those long traffic stops, particularly in the city traffic, really makes the life easy.
Old 12th September 2023, 20:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

I have two conventional AT cars without auto-hold (or even hill-hold) functions and manage just fine. In fact am able to control the car on upward inclines quite comfortably without ever rolling back. I thought all ATs were like this, today I learnt I am wrong!
Old 12th September 2023, 20:23   #65
BHPian

Anybody knows if Nexon facelift DCT has AH function? Went through the brochure but couldn't find it, also no reviewers have mentioned it so far.
Old 12th September 2023, 20:27   #66
BHPian

Auto hold feature has no significance for someone who hasn’t tried it. I never knew how convenient it is until I tried it.

Now, have used it on a couple of rental Teslas, Polestar 2, Ford Escape and I can’t imagine driving an automatic car without it anymore. Autohold works too well and now have become a necessity for me rather than being an optional feature.
Old 12th September 2023, 22:13   #67
BHPian

Auto hold and AT along with Android Auto are the only must have features for me in my daily use car. Everything else I can work around.
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 23:41   #68
BHPian

Auto hold is a great feature. I use it extensively in my Honda. Very useful in B-B traffic situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Auto Start/Stop works great together. When you come to stand-still you need to press the break for 1-2 seconds and the Auto-Hold glows green from Grey state, then remove your legs and in few seconds engine stops.
I think this is the idle engine stop feature, where the engine stops when we stop the car temporarily at a traffic light(for example). But I've heard it causes a wear 'n' tear on the engine quickly as engine almost starts every time after it shuts off. I've stopped using this feature after I heard about this.
Old 13th September 2023, 07:53   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Now we're complaining about having to keep the foot on the brake!?
I think we simply want better and more advanced tech/features. Nothing wrong in that! As Pearl Jam says “Do the evolution, baby!”
Old 13th September 2023, 09:02   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder99 View Post
Anybody knows if Nexon facelift DCT has AH function? Went through the brochure but couldn't find it, also no reviewers have mentioned it so far.
No it doesn't as it doesn't get electronic parking brake (EPB). EPB is limited to Nexon.EV only.
ferrarirules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 09:27   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I have two conventional AT cars without auto-hold (or even hill-hold) functions and manage just fine. In fact am able to control the car on upward inclines quite comfortably without ever rolling back. I thought all ATs were like this, today I learnt I am wrong!
I must assume that you are using the handbrake at an inclined stop. The point is this, many people who drive the MT do not know that they can use the handbrake and instead burn the clutch. So when the move on to automatics particularly AMT, they do not know that they can still use the handbrake to avoid slipping back. That is the real problem.

All said and done auto hold and hill hold are good features to have.
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 12:30   #72
BHPian

I was one of those people who used to laugh at this feature but got to experience it in my friend's Alcazar in Bangalore traffic and I fell in love with it immediately. Made a mental note that if I ever get another automatic in the future, this is a must-have.
Old 13th September 2023, 15:05   #73
BHPian

Although i like the Auto-Hold but not always.
Bumper to Bumper Traffic - Yes
Normal low traffic runs - Not

So, had to toggle On & Off, till i realized Hyundai Kona (Electric Vehicle) had a nifty feature...
You can pull & hold "+" Regen Paddle Shifter to bring the vehicle to stop and it temporarily enables Auto Hold feature. Basically creep is disabled when the Regen paddle shifter is used to stop the vehicle.

If I want the creep then i use the brake pedal.

So, nowadays its Auto Hold switch in "Off" mostly. But since the vehicle provides this functionality, i can stop based on how i want the vehicle to behave post the stop.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 22:06   #74
BHPian

My Tata Safari diesel AT has this button.

If the button is pressed the Autohold icon comes on the display. As soon as the vehicle comes to a stand still in traffic or at the lights, it engages and the display turns green. One does not have to move the gear stick to N or P. The vehicle moves forward only on pressing the accelerator. If this button is not pressed then one has to keep the brakes pressed and the creep/crawl will happen on taking foot off the brake pedal.

The other thing I have noticed is that the engine note / rev turns a notch down when using the autohold feature as opposed to not using it and keeping the brake pedal depressed when stopped. So I am assuming that it does have some play on the engine as well and not just on the brakes. This, I am assuming, also puts less stress on the engine and auto gear box. If the signals take a long time the the parking brake engages automatically.

Also, when moving in sparse traffic if I leave the button on, then it takes more of a accelerator pedal push to get the vehicle to pick up speed.

It is a really convenient feature in heavy traffic, with frequent starts and stops as happens in any urban roads, especially the ones like we have in Kerala. I am all for its use.

Cheerio
alphadog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2023, 20:09   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
VW had recommended to keep shifting the stick of DSG boxes from D to N in such traffic to save the clutch, which may not be required when you have auto hold.
I booked a Tiguan last week. I asked the Sales person then later again during PDI the GM of the service center about this need to shift from D to N in traffic and if it helps the DSG, they both said not required.
The only thing that was mentioned by the GM was if going downhill on a ghat to please not switch to N and let it remain in D.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks