Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2023, 19:38   #16
BHPian

Re: Auto Hold: Most convenient yet neglected feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You could. But it defeats 20% of the purpose of an AT gearbox, that is to not row gears. If you have to shift to N / P at every traffic light from Nariman Point to Bandra, you just added 70 shifts (35 to N, and then 35 back to D).
Oh I agree. But I get that, it's one of those features where once you go for it you can't go back. I hope it trickles down like everything else. Maybe because I don't drive in similar routes, perhaps I'm unable to relate as much. Most of my issues are dealt fine with a proper auto box, but yeah, I would perhaps be happier to have auto hold and can see how it can be more convenient for routes like the one you've mentioned.
epiccross is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 19:49   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiccross View Post
I hope it trickles down like everything else.
100% will. Hyundai-Kia are already offering this very-useful feature in their mainstream cars (Seltos, Creta etc.).

That being said, I am in the minority. Although I own two cars with auto-hold, I prefer to keep it off. Main reason = I find it jerky.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2023 at 20:13.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 20:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerandy View Post
I am still clueless as to why the manufacturers skip this function in their budget automatics? When cruise control can find it's way in a sub 10 lakh car, then why this function is not being mainstreamed?

I think you need electronic parking brake for it and I am not sure may be all four disk brakes. So I think on lower end cars it probably will be skipped.
electric_eel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 20:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

I find it utmost convenient to use my it in Bangalore traffic in my A6. It does the job super well. I also think it has a sensor and it auto starts and crawls when the vehicle in front starts moving forward, without me having to give accelerator input. I simply love this feature.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 20:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I find it utmost convenient to use my it in Bangalore traffic in my A6. It does the job super well. I also think it has a sensor and it auto starts and crawls when the vehicle in front starts moving forward, without me having to give accelerator input. I simply love this feature.
Pretty sure it's not how it works on the new Kia Seltos. Creeping doesn't work alongside auto hold. Maybe this is a luxury feature
Sufficient_shop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 23:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
In my opinion Mercedes has the worst type of Auto hold operation. The BMW and Audi seem to be much better. The MG ZS is not too bad. The Comet doesn't have one which is okay because there is no creep when the accelerator is not pressed, something that I prefer.
Yes. In Merc Auto hold is turned on by default. I believe it's not switchable.

Quote:
This is truly not just a neglected feature, but also one that's highly misunderstood (going by the tread replies).
I believe so. I think this feature is misunderstood for hill hold function. I feel many fellow BHPians are driving cars with this feature without using it. Actually this feature is very handy in dense traffic with plenty signal crossings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I think you need electronic parking brake for it and I am not sure may be all four disk brakes. So I think on lower end cars it probably will be skipped.
Absolutely true. The auto hold function gets coupled with electronic braking. But I don't think you need all 4 disk brakes. I am also not so sure about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
Pretty sure it's not how it works on the new Kia Seltos. Creeping doesn't work alongside auto hold. Maybe this is a luxury feature
I think he is talking about adaptive cruise control. Only adaptive cruise control can auto brake and accelerate as mentioned.
Old 11th September 2023, 00:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt363 View Post
Hey Jeroen
I suppose the OP was mentioning about auto hold function and not hill hold function. The one you mentioned looks like hill hold function.
Quote:
That's hill-hold, buddy. Not auto-hold.
Ah, true, my bad! Thanks

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 11:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Its needs an ESP system, which is the one holding the vehicle at a stop. To work properly, it also needs bi-directional wheel speed sensors, which are a bit more expensive. And like you said, EPB is required, though not mandatory (there are several vehicles with Auto Hold without EPB). Though not directly related to ADAS features like ACC/AEB, they do share a lot of SW code between them. One of the reason why a lot of vehicles have Auto Hold + ADAS as a combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post

I believe that would be the Stop & Go feature of ACC. Auto Hold needs a driver brake event to initiate the hold.

Let me give a brief description of Auto Hold from a SW point of view:

Once the feature is turned ON, it waits for the driver to brake the vehicle to standstill. Eg. at a traffic stop. Once at standstill, the driver can take his foot off the brake pedal. Auto Hold will maintain the brake pressure upto a specified amount of time. Once the driver decides to go and presses the accelerator pedal, Auto Hold slowly releases the brakes.

Different companies/vehicles models use permutations and combinations of this basic logic.
GeneralJazz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 12:08   #24
BHPian

Does it strain the gb and clutches in a dct gearbox?
paras211 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 12:09   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You could. But it defeats 20% of the purpose of an AT gearbox, that is to not row gears. If you have to shift to N / P at every traffic light from Nariman Point to Bandra, you just added 70 shifts (35 to N, and then 35 back to D).
Really OT : You mean to say, it is not necessary to shift to D or P at the traffic light.

If the wait time is more say above 40 Sec, what do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Let me give a brief description of Auto Hold from a SW point of view:

Once the feature is turned ON, it waits for the driver to brake the vehicle to standstill. Eg. at a traffic stop. Once at standstill, the driver can take his foot off the brake pedal. Auto Hold will maintain the brake pressure upto a specified amount of time. Once the driver decides to go and presses the accelerator pedal, Auto Hold slowly releases the brakes.

Different companies/vehicles models use permutations and combinations of this basic logic.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Vasuki : 11th September 2023 at 12:10.
Old 11th September 2023, 12:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely loved this little feature in my Toyota's and Nissan Qashqai.
None had any jerks and would smoothly release the brakes.

Very useful at a redlight ensuring the car does not roll forward / backward.

Only annoying thing about it; Toyota resets it to OFF every time you turn the car off.
The Qashqai kept it ON for good!

Last edited by Stratos : 11th September 2023 at 12:25.
Stratos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 22:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to drive a car with this feature but few years back when I got to know about such feature, I had decided my next must have this as and when I decide to have it. It would be a big relief for your right leg.

For users of cars with DSG/DCT, I have a question. Do you know when the auto hold is enabled, does it disengage the clutch of DSG/DCT gearboxes, when the car is stationary during stop-go traffic? If it does, then it would address the biggest painpoint of DSG failures which are attributed to stop go traffic of India. VW had recommended to keep shifting the stick of DSG boxes from D to N in such traffic to save the clutch, which may not be required when you have auto hold.
shipnil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2023, 09:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Is there any negative impact of using Auto hold on fuel efficiency? I read that you must press the accelerator more when the Auto Hold has been engaged, which might cause FE to drop. Any leads appreciated.
Old 12th September 2023, 09:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
I think it does. The gearbox is driving the car forward and the brakes are holding it back.
Old 12th September 2023, 10:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I think it does. The gearbox is driving the car forward and the brakes are holding it back.
DCT disengages the clutch completely once the vehicle comes to a stop, so its effectively in neutral. Auto Hold doesn't cause any extra stress to the gearbox. It just eliminates the need for the driver to keep the brake pedal pressed.
GeneralJazz is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks