Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 21:34   #31
BHPian

Re: Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill

This excellent idea should be implemented in numerous locations across India. Despite facing opposition, I strongly believe in its potential. Thanks to my quick thinking and the presence of ABS, I narrowly escaped a life-threatening situation caused by reckless wrong-side drivers. Unfortunately, these individuals seem unwilling to learn from their mistakes, endangering countless lives to save a mere 10 rupees worth of fuel.

This initiative is commendable, and it should be applied in many places.
raptor_diwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 09:44   #32
BHPian

As much as I hate wrong side driving and also feel that people coming on the wrong side should pay in blood - for they cause so many accidents and pain - let’s take into account the recent happenings in Chennai city. The traffic police are going all out on fining bike riders for not wearing helmets - with a Rs 1000 fine per person. So if it’s two people on a bike with no helmet - it’s a Rs 2,000 fine. This has led to over 95% of bikers wearing helmets in a very short time.

I also read that back in 2000s, traffic in China was most chaotic but sustained patrolling and steep fines led to much more disciplined traffic which no longer requires patrolling as before.

Key is education, patrolling and fines!
thirdmainroad is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 12:30   #33
BHPian

What’s next a sniper shooting people coming on wrong side in Posh areas with small board saying “wrong side traffic will be shot dead”?

Can our policy makers and implementers for a change solve a problem without creating a lot of nuisance ? I guess placing a couple of cops or cameras would result in same result without being a safety hazard.
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:08   #34
BHPian

While trying to cross a double road separated by a median last week, I was hit by a scooter. I was looking to my right to check the traffic coming from the side it was actually allowed to come from. When I was hit, I was at the intersection, on top of the zebra crossing. I was hit from my left, the side I neglected to thoroughly check because it was a large open intersection (where any vehicle could come at me from any direction), by a scooter going the wrong way into the lane I was exiting from. Instinctively I apologized, not realizing that I wasn't in the wrong in any way. By the time I had recovered from the shock of being hit, the scooter and its driver were long gone.

A lot more needs to be done to stop wrong side driving in India. Education is no longer enough, since well educated people purchasing scooters worth more than 1 lakh rupees are content to go the wrong way and hit passerbys in that time. This is a welcome step by Mumbai authorities, in my humble opinion.
pepega is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 13:31   #35
BHPian

There's an urgent need to install these in all States. There are morons on our roads who think that it is their God Given right to drive on the wrong side. I've seen parents take their kids to school driving on the wrong side. What type of example are we setting here? If you're going to be late going the right way, you should have started earlier so that you aren't going to be late. I do hope that the Mumbai tyre killer is not taken down.
Bsimhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 16:51   #36
BHPian

In case of a jam or congestion, if a vehicle has to go in the reverse direction for a very short distance over these contraptions, assume the tyres will be toast? Answer will help in making sure that whatever jam or congestion will have to be cleared in the front of the vehicle and the vehicle should not be driven in reverse.
anivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 20:02   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
As much as I hate wrong side driving and also feel that people coming on the wrong side should pay in blood - for they cause so many accidents and pain - let’s take into account the recent happenings in Chennai city. The traffic police are going all out on fining bike riders for not wearing helmets - with a Rs 1000 fine per person. So if it’s two people on a bike with no helmet - it’s a Rs 2,000 fine. This has led to over 95% of bikers wearing helmets in a very short time.

I also read that back in 2000s, traffic in China was most chaotic but sustained patrolling and steep fines led to much more disciplined traffic which no longer requires patrolling as before.

Key is education, patrolling and fines!
I have to say, I completely DISAGREE with you.

Education --> Take any crime, 9 out of 10 are done by educated people. One should not confuse education with common sense.
Patrolling --> India is a huge country and cannot afford manpower for patrolling. Also, the moment patrolling stops, public go back to old Habits.
Fine[ --> Almost same as above point. Add to that the habit of public to pay bribe and give lesser fines (200 in place of 2000).

Fear is the only factor that works. Excellent step this one. I hope this is implemented in large scale.
Old 21st July 2023, 00:25   #38
BHPian

This seems to be on the way down from Hanging Garden towards Kemps Corner? If so, sorely needed - I drive down the road quite often after my morning tennis game, and have been surprised quite a few times by someone coming up in a scooter/motorbike, despite it being clearly demarcated as a one-way road for a very long time.
bhairavp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooblaster View Post
Only feasible way is to have AI enabled smart cameras fining these violators left , right and centre. Govt earns revenue

Now coming to cases where people simply don’t cough up the fines. Block these vehicle owners to IT refunds and reduce CIBIL score (Like a delayed EMI/Credit Card Payment). Shouldn’t be too difficult to implement through Aadhar (RC is issued only on production of Aadhar; PAN and Aadhar is already linked)
All good suggestions but a good chunk of vehicles plying on roads today are long overdue for their registration renewal, some of these vehicle details are not even on Parivahan, and miscreants now resorting to removing number plates, an AI camera can only take a pic of the driver but can't do much without a number plate, these kind of deterrents are necessary in certain parts of cities, an ambulance or traffic diversion is temporary and there are multiple ways that this can be addressed.

Most of the cases once a deterrent has been placed and people know it's there,they tend to avoid that route even if the deterrent has been taken away until they know that it's no longer there. The fear of knowing that it can return to the place will always remain, acting like an enforcement in their minds to prevent them from taking the route.
al90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 22:14   #40
Team-BHP Support

I'll start by saying that I think "Wrong side driving" should be the most harshly punished motoring offence.
Worse than DUI because its a 100% conscious & an "in sound state of mind" choice.

An ironic tale:

Just a few days before this thing was installed, I was heading down this road at 10PM.

A pair of headlights started to approach and my mother said "Oh my god! Is that a crazy Uber coming up the wrong way??!!".

As the Ertiga approached and passed us, we saw the logo of the "Mumbai Police" emblazoned on the side.

Other random & excessive information:

This is a one-way road that goes from Hanging Gardens down to Kemps corner. It's smooth and fast and has zero signals and just 1 speed breaker and takes about a minute to go down (950 meters).
Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-20230724-screenshot-09.49pm-35763.png

On the other hand, if you want to go from Kemps Corner to Hanging gardens, the fastest route is almost 3x as long (2.6 km) and has 3 signals, much more traffic, and is nowhere near as free-flowing.
Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-20230724-screenshot-09.49pm-28954.png

So now you see why people are tempted to do the naughty.

Add to that:

In Aug 2020, there was a MASSIVE landslide that obliterated about 200+ meters of the road and washed it off the the side of the hill.

This is what the remaining 'good' part of the road looked like:
Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-20230724-screenshot-09.57pm-44588.png

As a result, the one-way now became a dead-end, and therefore had to become a 2-way.

Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-thisdiagramgotoutofcontrol.png

There is just 1 lonely building on that entire 950m stretch of road. The residents had no choice but to go 'the wrong way' to be connected to the rest of the city's road network.

Eventually road-work began on the landslide area, and a 'kachha' road was created for the roadworking machines, though barricaded at the top end to prevent thoroughfare for any 4-wheelers.

However, 2-wheelers could squeeze by the barricades...

This was also the tail end of the pandemic... so perhaps it became a hugely time-saving comfortable bad habit for bikers, especially Swiggy and Zomato riders to go up the wrong way.

Here's a the problem:

In 40+ years of going down this road several times a week, I've only seen 2-wheelers go up the wrong way! (and perhaps 2 cop cars and 1 idiot).

And bikers will use the footpath....

Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-tyrekillersa_e.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2023 at 14:23.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2023, 18:45   #41
BHPian

Now installed in Ahmedabad

https://twitter.com/roadsofmumbai/st...ESoEXiMS-QdMyA
Comrade is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 21:48   #42
BANNED

Those speed breakers look deadly and can cause serious injury to pedestrians. What if you trip 5 feet from the breakers and fall on them.

I agree that a better solution is more policing and eye-wateringly extortionate fines. Let's say Rs. 25.000 for going the wrong way.
Mgup564 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 12:36   #43
BHPian

The tyre killers that were installed in Ahmedabad recently, has already taken heavy damage! Wondering why hmmm...

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/ahme.../102438612.cms
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 14:28   #44
Team-BHP Support

2 close-up pics, since I was walking by:
Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-pxl_20230806_130848009.jpg

Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-pxl_20230806_130850896.mp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgup564 View Post
Those speed breakers look deadly and can cause serious injury to pedestrians. What if you trip 5 feet from the breakers and fall on them.
As a pedestrian, if you trip and fall on the road there's a significantly higher chance of you getting hit by a car than falling on this spike strip.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2024, 14:59   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's a the problem:

In 40+ years of going down this road several times a week, I've only seen 2-wheelers go up the wrong way! (and perhaps 2 cop cars and 1 idiot).

And bikers will use the footpath....

Looks like they've resolved that by adding bollards to the sidewalk alongside the spike-strip!

Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-pxl_20240625_064226603.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th June 2024 at 15:00.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks