Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 10:01   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill

I'm totally in favor of it, I guess it should be a deterrent initially till we become responsible road users or till we see the curve flatten out. Recently just witnessed a bus crash in NCR where it was driven on the wrong side, what was the fault of the persons travelling in the car. The right way is the only way.

I believe it’s more of a "cultural issue" of refusal to adhere to traffic rules, then only education and strict enforcement will be an effective method. Also, a poor designed road adds to this menace, eg no U-turns for few kms makes the road user to take shortcuts or drive on wrong side.

Here they are very common and installed at malls/Hospitals/Public Places entry/exits, to streamline the traffic and no one enters or exits in a wrong way. However, have never seen one on the main roads/service roads.

However, Best and safe deterrent for wrong side driving is guide signs, regulatory signs, warning signs, pavement signs or any visual cue which will inform the driver well in advance.

Last edited by NomadSK : 19th July 2023 at 10:17.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 10:05   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Driving through a one way in the wrong direction.. is illegal, no two ways about it. But it doesn't give the traffic authorities a licence to cause intentional hurt as a way of implementing regulation. What next, will they train dogs to pounce on people driving in the wrong direction! Ends do not justify the means, simple. I can't believe there are people in this forum supporting this move.

Do not assume every motorist in the wrong direction in a one-way to be an intentional violator. Some could be simply new to the place. There are ample stories in this forum itself on one-ways without proper sign boards.
100% agree with you on this. There are many scenarios where there will be genuine cases like the ones you mentioned. Most importantly, WITHOUT proper road signs, such measures should never be taken.
Old 19th July 2023, 10:16   #18
BHPian

Wrong side driving is predominantly a bike problem although I occasionally see cars also doing it in Mumbai. Expectedly, most people here'd be for this kind of knee jerk reaction as team bhp is a car forum with a smallish section for bikes. The few against it probably are bikers who also drive cars
The root cause of all this is the process of issuing of license which is a joke. Most don't know 'a b c' of traffic rules and still have a license, although I agree in this case the violators probably do know that wrong side driving is illegal. But our authorities have to start making the license granting process more stringent and robust.
Which brings us to the police staffing issues as most police forces are woefully understaffed. This probably would take systemic changes and lot of investment and time to put right.
So, in the short term, I'd echo the solution suggested by another member above-impose fines using ANPR cameras and possibly cancel/suspend license upon more than 1 instance of serious traffic violations. Something like a points-based penalty system in the UK.
Old 19th July 2023, 10:35   #19

I'm very much for this measure. We need a strong deterrent for wrong way driving.
I don't know about the rest, but here in Hyderabad the wrong way driving is very much rampant and there have been several accidents.

And, for those decrying the down sides of such a measure, like an emergency detour or ambulance, there are retractable spikes i.e they can be retracted temporarily to allow passage of vehicles and this can be controlled via the police.
So, problem solved.

One thing I'd like to add: remove the fines for wrong way driving, IMHO; the defaulters are anyway being penalized with damaged vehicles.
holdoyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 11:17   #20
BHPian

Should be installed everywhere in our country.

These spiked barriers are installed all over the world but only in India are they a safety concern

Traffic police needs to find innovative ways to regulate traffic and violators must be checked. You can't have physical presence of cops everywhere so speed cameras, CCTVs, spiked barriers etc. are perhaps the best way to ensure everyone follows the law.
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 11:52   #21
BHPian

Last Sunday I was riding my cycle down this road and was pleasantly surprised to find it. Since it was a Sunday morning with no vehicles around me, I was unsure on how it would work, so managed to get off, step on it and then roll my cycle over it. I hope they install it on other one-ways around the city.

p.s. - though I think with little help from a pillion you could beat this. I hope I am wrong.
mindshack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:17   #22

People who drive on the wrong side neither care about their own lives nor the lives of others. This has been proven time and again, as evidenced by the recent incident on the Meerut Expressway. Do they truly value the safety of their tires?

Accidental slips during the monsoon season can be fatal for any two-wheeler riders. How do they plan to mitigate this risk?

Driving on the wrong side is a menace that must be curbed through effective enforcement of existing laws, rather than half-hearted ideas.
cosmodan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:19   #23
BHPian

Problems in India require unique solutions. But I am not in favor of any possibility of bodily harm or destroying tyre's etc.

There are much simpler solutions.

For example:

Make a portal where registered and verified users can send pictures of violators especially for wrong side driving, no seatbelt/helmet etc that are easily verifiable. Allow videos and not just pictures on the portal. Make the fines steep and share 50% revenue with the uploader after verification. This will have down sides too with everyone trying to earn a quick buck but atleast there is no physical intervention.

For areas where violators are known to be notorious engage some locals who are notorious and give them a chance to earn a clean living by simply making videos.

But will the government share revenue? Will a normal citizen be willing to take a video where he/she can get beaten up? But the most important is anyone in the government even concerned?
tazmaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 12:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Earlier, Amanora Township in Pune had installed similar speed breakers to deter wrong-side driving. However, the Pune Traffic Police ordered the society to remove them, citing safety concerns.
Brilliance of our public and our governing bodies summed up.

These speed-breakers are dangerous, but wrong-side driving is perfectly safe?
Old 19th July 2023, 12:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Stopped specially to click these Tyre-Killers. Only concern is the pedestrians not to get tripped if walking on road. The spikes seem quite SHARP.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai: "Tyre killer" speed breakers installed in Malabar Hill-f1dgt17wyaeeku7.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 13:58   #26
BHPian

Just at once place !!!.
In Delhi-NCR, entire roads should be made of these.

Every week there is a fatal accident due to wrong side driving. Leave apart the numerous nicks and scratches type accidents happening daily.

Traffic police here (especially in Gurgaon) does not even consider wrong side driving as an offence and usually overlooks it.
low_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 14:07   #27
BHPian

Emergency vehicles? Medical emergency? Rather die than go the wrong way?
paras211 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 14:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
Emergency vehicles? Medical emergency? Rather die than go the wrong way?
Chances of dying are extremely high if gone on the wrong side. So let us not use this argument to promote the lawlessness our roads are witnessing.
nagr22 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 15:12   #29
BHPian

This should be done on all major roads in atleast the metro cities and expressways. Every day you can see local autos / bikes etc drive on the wrong side on dme / nh24. Even the traffic police posted there just ignore them. Once tyres start bursting they will stop endangering other lives

Need of the hour is an understatement.
akg7091 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2023, 16:15   #30
BHPian

Making something like this permanent on our roads is going to do more harm than good. As others have pointed out, there could be exceptions where traffic needs to be diverted, then these fixtures will need to be removed / disabled. Also, not sure how this will have an impact on the road surface in general.

To really deter people from wrong side driving, apart from fines, other means needs to be adopted like
- no insurance claims for offenders
- no charges on the driver even if the other party gets killed / maimed for life
- no government compensation

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks