Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2023, 16:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pedestrian fatalities at a 40-year high in the USA: 19% increase since 2019

According to a media report, the pedestrian fatality rate in the USA is on the rise. A study by the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) - a non-profit representing states' safety offices reported that the pedestrian fatality rate of 2022 was the highest it's been in the USA since 1981.

The organisation projected that 7,508 people were killed while walking near America's roads. This is the highest figure recorded in the last 41 years. The study also states that the 2022 figure is 19% higher than in 2019, which recorded 6,324 pedestrian fatalities.

Pedestrian fatalities at a 40-year high in the USA: 19% increase since 2019-fatalities1.jpg

Fatalities for motorists & pedestrian deaths rose during the coronavirus pandemic. However, while the number of motorist fatalities started coming down, pedestrian deaths seem to have levelled out, if not rising. The study also reports that between 2010 and 2021, pedestrian fatalities rose by a staggering 77%, compared to 25% for other road users.

Pedestrian fatalities at a 40-year high in the USA: 19% increase since 2019-fatalities2.jpg

The states of New Mexico and Arizona are said to be the most dangerous, with the rate of fatalities at 4.4 and 4.17 per 1,00,000 people in 2022. However, states like Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota were ranked the safest despite the cold weather.

Reports also state that America is an outlier with a rising rate of pedestrian fatalities, as most other developed nations have done more to reduce the figures. The study shows that America's usage of large trucks and SUVs maybe a particular cause of concern. GHSA stated that an SUV or pickup truck was the striking vehicle in 40% of the pedestrian deaths, compared to passenger cars which accounted for 35%.

Source: CarScoops

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 3rd July 2023 at 16:22.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 09:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pedestrian fatalities at a 40-year high in the USA: 19% increase since 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The study shows that America's usage of large trucks and SUVs maybe a particular cause of concern. GHSA stated that an SUV or pickup truck was the striking vehicle in 40% of the pedestrian deaths, compared to passenger cars which accounted for 35%.
These trucks are so huge and tall, when they have an impact with a pedestrian or a cyclist, they straight away hit the upper body/head of the person vs a sedan or even a CUV which hit the lower portion of the person’s body. That and the massive blind spot these trucks/SUVs have. Yes you do so high in the air and yet you lose sight of the shorter, nearer objects very similar to semi trucks on the freeways here.

I had a rental 2022 Yukon XL for a week and we did a small experiment since I ride on the roads pretty regularly on my bike - I asked my relative to ride my bike and stand at the front 3 quarter angle of the car on the right side. From my driving position, I could barely see his helmet as he crouched on the handlebar. All this while we both were stationary. At city driving speed the cyclist or pedestrian will be almost invisible while turning if driver isn’t paying close attention. It’s scary as it is and SUVs are only getting bigger and so is the US’ obsession with these damn vehicles.
amol4184 is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 09:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

For many years now, the pedestrian has been a paraiah on US roads. Most motorists who started driving in the late 1990s or earlier are unused to seeing them on the streets. They simply don't believe in their existence!

A larger and larger proportion of youngsters (Gen Z and younger) are simply not driving at all, and hence have no clue about motorists, and the ebb & flow of traffic. And since they are not driving, they are walking more.

Clueless motorists. Larger number of pedestrians. To this, add the craze for SUVs and crossovers. It is a fatal mix. I am not at all surprised at these statistics.
KiloAlpha is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 14:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

"I want my SUVeeeee", sing it to the tune of Money for Nothing and now this won't leave your head

It's a trend that has been on the rise since the pandemic and it is sad to see that there are no signs of it being reversed. The car culture has totally brainwashed the US public here. Everyone wants to drive a bigger vehicle for the less than 5 mile trip that they do most often, or wait in the drive thru line of McDonalds and Starbucks. We dont have to look far. The thread on TBHP about what car to buy in US is filled with suggestions for an SUV even for a 3 member family!

But it is very easy to put the blame on the masses because addressing the real causes may ruffle some some feathers with deep pockets. People desire to buy bigger vehicles because that's what is being pushed down their throats by the automobile industry. Add EVs to the picture which are heavier and bigger and even the government is getting into the act via tax breaks, money that could have been better used for improving infrastructure, including public transport.

Also, people are driving more recklessly because the enforcement has not kept up with the times and neither has the penalty.

Last edited by amitoj : 4th July 2023 at 14:47.
amitoj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 14:51   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt if it’s just the bigger vehicles though?

This wonderful piece by Vox demonstrates just how unfriendly a typical road in US can be, if you are not in a car.

Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 14:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
It's a trend that has been on the rise since the pandemic and it is sad to see that there are no signs of it being reversed.
Seems like it's been a trend that has been on the rise long before the pandemic started; with a massive jump immediately post post the pandemic. Sad indeed.

Pedestrian fatalities at a 40-year high in the USA: 19% increase since 2019-pedestrian-fatalities.jpg
Source: Department of Transportation
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 11:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sadly, lifeless cars / SUVs / big machines are blamed rather than the hands, legs and brains that drive or command it! Although I understand few design elements would prove fatal, it can be avoided if the hoomans are caring for the safety of others and oneself on the road!
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 19:26   #8
BHPian

By making ADAS, which have pedestrian detection system mandatory for all Big SUV and Truck might reduce pedestrian fatality. And driver error is the man culprit, when seated on these big SUV / Trucks we get good visual of roads but its pretty hard to notice especially kids when they are in close proximity. As a thumb rule says "With more power, come more responsibility"
Old 24th July 2023, 22:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Pedestrian fatalities at a 40-year high in the USA: 19% increase since 2019-screenshot-20230723-121035.jpg

Forget pedestrians and cyclists, I feel scared sitting in my Mini Cooper when these pull up besides me. Imagine someone driving a Miata. Heavily modified road legal monster trucks like these aren't a rarity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks