Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2023, 11:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Two-wheelers skidding on speed breaker in front of my apartment | How to solve?

In my opinion, if you're operating a vehicle, you are responsible for assessing road conditions and braking distance. If some people are not able to do that, they need to learn. There has been a spurt of Insufficiently educated two wheelers, and this road seems to be doing what whoever taught them to ride forgot to do. If the accidents are not fatal, and not too much of an inconvenience, I would say let it be, as the authorities are not going to do much unless you can prove something illegal or non compliant was done here.
Old 5th July 2023, 13:18   #17
BHPian

Re: Two-wheelers skidding on speed breaker in front of my apartment | How to solve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgritesh View Post
It’s a pain to see people falling down and getting injured every day. I am willing to put some time/money if that’s what’s it takes to improve the safety for everyone in general. I believe putting some warning signs/posters nearby might help, but not fully sure about it.
Asking for suggestions what can be done here
Glad that your thought process is in the right direction and giving importance to the safety.

Indian standards or in this Case IRC is a robust standard, almost meeting all the international requirements which are supposed to be encountered. Grassroot Problem is with ignorance and/or improper implementation (Can have umpteen reasons for that).

As per the IRC-67 Standard, for speed breakers

"This sign should be used to warn the drivers of the presence of the speed breaker. This sign should be posted 50-60 m in advance of the speed breaker location (Fig. 15.49). If required, the sign can be repeated at a short distance ahead of the speed breaker, indicating the distance to the speed breaker with a supplementary plate, i.e. Fig. 15.49 + Supplementaryplate indicating "10 m" or "20 m".

Also, The slippery painting on the roads/Speed bumps is due to the non-standard paints being used in general. Approved paints are thermoplastic paints with addition of glass beads (certain percentage) and they aren’t slippery as the non-standard paints. If done properly, you dont even need harsh headlights to lit up your roads during night drives.

Now, I don’t know if you will be allowed to put the signage on a government road, considering this is one. I remember, once we had to put a traffic calming system outside our township (The main gate was right on the national highway), since we were having too many near misses, as residents would cross the highway and also resident vehicles would enter the highway at odd angles with no merge lanes. To get that system in place, we had to get prior approval from NHAI, State transport department, Electricity department, PWD and even Min of Defense (Probably it was close to one of the Airbase). Bottom line we got all the approval after few months to install 5-10m of rumble strips on either sides of the road. Mind you it was private entity with government entities.

Last edited by NomadSK : 5th July 2023 at 13:26.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 17:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Are the speed breakers marked? If yes, it is the white paint that is very slippery. Best to avoid that part on your two-wheeler.

- What is the tyre condition of the scooter / bike you saw falling?
I think a rumble strip 10 mtr or 20 mtr before the speed breaker will help people to get some time to slow down. Hope this will solve the purpose.
Old 7th July 2023, 18:28   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
I think a rumble strip 10 mtr or 20 mtr before the speed breaker will help people to get some time to slow down. Hope this will solve the purpose.
Frankly, rumble strips make the butt of my cars feel very loose & jittery, especially under braking. I can't imagine 2-wheelers taking them in a stable manner under wet conditions.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 18:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, rumble strips make the butt of my cars feel very loose & jittery, especially under braking. I can't imagine 2-wheelers taking them in a stable manner under wet conditions.
You are right GTO, but what I meant was to have a short rumble strip so that people slow down due to this and remain in a speed where they don't fall from scooty / bike at the speed breaker. I don't think people will fall even at slightly high speed (around 70kmph) on a rumble strip.

I may be wrong though since have not driven two wheeler since 2008.
Old 7th July 2023, 19:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
In any two wheeler, whether scooter or motorcycle, if both brakes are applied together, and the handlebar is straight, the chances of skidding and falling are less. However, if the front wheel locks up under panic braking and the handlebar is even slightly turned to a side, it's a sure shot recipe for a fall. That is why single channel ABS is on the front wheel which is under maximum load during braking and also steers the bike. If the rear wheel locks up, it is still manageable.
In this case, it appears that panic braking is the culprit adding up to the white thermoplastic paint which aids in skidding.
Old 8th July 2023, 07:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Instead of using this relatively slippery paint for markings, a better option would be to use the modular, bolt down type speed breakers that are made of hard rubber and are grippier. Also, as GTO suggested, the best option to warn drivers is through their butt, by installing rumbler strips, as many of our drivers seem to lack the brain power required to watch out for and read warning boards or signs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks