Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maharashtra: Cops to impose heavy fines to curb underage driving

The state government of Maharashtra has made amendments to the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 in an effort to curb underage driving. The revised law now has provisions for a fine of up to Rs 25,000.

Maharashtra: Cops to impose heavy fines to curb underage driving-pune_traffic_two_wheelers.jpg

The Transport Commissioner has issued a notification, citing Section 199(A) of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, which clearly states that individuals under 18 years of age are prohibited from driving a motor vehicle in public areas. However, it does allow the operation of a motorcycle with engine capacity not exceeding 50cc by individuals who are at least 16 years old.

As per the amendment, parents will be subject to a fine of Rs 25,000. Besides this, children who violate the rules will be prohibited from obtaining a driving license until the age of 25.

The notification also directs RTO officials to enforce the Act's provisions, including section 18, which prohibits individuals under the age of 20 from driving transport vehicles in public areas.

According to media reports, the state witnesses around 15,000 road accident fatalities annually. It is said that more than half of the accidents recorded in 2022 were caused by 2-wheeler riders.

Source: TOI

Link to Team-BHP news
TusharK is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 19:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maharashtra: Cops to impose heavy fines to curb underage driving

Maharashtra police should first concentrate on enforcing the basic traffic rules. I routinely see 2 wheelers jumping signals, riding rashly, riding the wrong direction, modified numberplates, etc. Most of the offenders are the delivery boys from Zomato, Swiggy, Zepto, Dominos etc.

I hope Mumbai police acts immediately against the law breakers before the situation gets worse. It wasn't always so bad, Mumbai was once known for its traffic discipline, now that reputation is in tatters and the police really need to pull up their socks.

Last edited by manson : 30th June 2023 at 14:15. Reason: Typo.
Lalvaz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 20:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think the introduction of ebikes makes any enforcement of laws against 50cc+ bikes pointless. Most of these ebikes have substantially more performance, are road legal for 16 year olds, and have the cool factor too.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:02   #4
BHPian

A welcome decision. However, this can be a double-edged sword! Due to the possibility that taking bribes is less expensive than having to pay severe fines, it may potentially result in corruption. The corruption issue can be resolved to an extent by ensuring that body cameras are worn by the police compulsorily while checking.
madhukarmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 21:43   #5
BHPian

I wholeheartedly support this decision. This should be advertised agressively too, so that people are aware of this rule.
Time and time again I've seen underage kids, without an iota of knowledge or understanding of road and rules riding haphazardly. I see foolish parents supporting this too. If you don't care about your kids, it's absolutely fine, But there are innocent people and other kids going about on the road and you are putting them at risk.
I know of an incident where an underage biker about 15yrs old caused a very young toddler to loose an arm
These idiots then influence other underaged kids to start driving before they are mentally mature to handle our roads.
Even in housing societies, i see underage kids hardly able to control their bikes but going for a joy ride. 2 wheelers are the biggest culprits, as it seems parents are aware that a banged up 4 wheeler is hard to repair so keep the kids away from them.
I have at times strictly denied access to some of my students who show up for class on a vehicle if they are without licence or if they are underaged. And i give them an good earful with all the reasons, cases and examples. Atleast that's 1 underage driver away from the road hopefully.
PrasadS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 23:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This group of 36 teenagers including many underage drivers all without helmets, driving two wheelers and mostly triple seats driving recklessly traversed through the main thoroughfares of Nagpur City on 25/06.

Very shockingly and sadly neither the hundreds of CCTV cameras nor traffic police personnel on duty could detect these outlaws who caused agony and nuisance to fellow traffic users all through their long route. They congregated near a lake, took a group photo and one amongst them posted a video on the social media. The traffic police nabbed them only after this video went viral. Else, noone had complained and so they would have never been booked.

Parents of the minors were called by the police, a fine of Rs 1,10,000 was imposed and 11 two wheelers seized. One bike was detected with a fake number plate.

Mean to say that if there are no viral videos of such errant traffic users the traffic police is blissfully unaware of such incidents. Hence, where is the logic behind these steep fines that are hiked every few years?

Maharashtra: Cops to impose heavy fines to curb underage driving-20230629_115955.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 29th June 2023 at 23:35.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 10:34   #7
BHPian

I guess that was the only thing contributing towards traffic violations. How about strict implementation of basic traffic rules in the first place. I left Mumbai in 2019, and until then it wasn't normal to see lot many people riding/driving on the wrong side. On my last visit in October last year I was lost for words. For a moment I thought I was riding my bike on the wrong side with everyone else driving towards me. I think all the rules are already there, the only think lacking is their implementation.
Mr.Ogre is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 12:05   #8
BHPian

While I do agree that increased amounts of fines will force second thought for many. This won't really curb the issue. I truly think that there should be a reform on the government level and we should start testing and giving provisional licenses to those who are 16 and above to ride, limited up to 100-125cc motorcycles and scooters. With proper testing and training, we could in fact change the way a whole new generation drives and rides.

There are countries that have laws where 16-year-olds can get licenses and have restrictions on them, such as the timing where they can be on the road and the type of vehicles that they can drive. I'm not saying every 16-year-old will start riding, but those who need to can learn and properly be trained on how to ride.
AnkitHJain7 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed