Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you use ADAS in India?
Yes, I find it useful 113 40.65%
No, I find it useless 165 59.35%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2023, 09:42   #76

Re: ADAS in India : Do you use it? If yes, how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
Sorry to see this but I can assure you that the car will be back to its original glory. Let them take their time for repairs.

Having traveled in an ambulance for almost 4 years furing my younger days as a medical student on call duties, I have seen that quite a few ambulance drivers have had a bit of alcohol and have little care for the rules. This was a case of foolish person tailgating you at the wrong time.

I do not feel that ADAS is the sole reason for this accident. We think a lot of stuff after such incidents but the reality is that during a rear ending event, the vehicle tailing and hitting from behind is at fault and rightly so.
Thank you for your response and kind words! Yes, the manager at the service centre has also assured me that the vehicle would be as good as new. He also showed me around the service centre which is equipped with all the necessary tools after which I felt somewhat relieved. In fact, he showed the older GT model of Kia Seltos which they had repaired and its before and after pictures were totally unrecognizable.
Old 3rd October 2023, 08:54   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakashsood View Post
I'm thinking of switching off the collision avoidance altogether to avoid such incidents in future. Do you people have any advice from experience?
Hello aakashsood. Thank god that both of you were unhurt. Like PaddleShifter said, the car will be back to glory soon enough.

Regarding the Autonomous Emergency Braking, what you experienced seems to be the Brake Assist feature of ADAS. If the ADAS detects a possible crash scenario, and calculates that the brake you applied is insufficient to prevent the crash, it applies additional brakeing to bring the car to stop. Like PaddleShifter mentioned, ADAS is not the reason for the accident.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2023 at 23:22. Reason: Formatting
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 09:55   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Hello aakashsood. Thank god that both of you were unhurt. Like PaddleShifter said, the car will be back to glory soon enough.

Regarding the Autonomous Emergency Braking, what you experienced seems to be the Brake Assist feature of ADAS. If the ADAS detects a possible crash scenario, and calculates that the brake you applied is insufficient to prevent the crash, it applies additional brakeing to bring the car to stop. Like PaddleShifter mentioned, ADAS is not the reason for the accident.
I hope so, thank you for your response!

Last edited by Aditya : 14th October 2023 at 23:23. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:12   #79
BHPian

In the Honda Elevate only the ZX version has cruise control and that too linked to ADAS.
In one of the YouTube user reviews, it was told that it has a tendency to apply brakes and this can startle the driver. So the only option is to turn off the ADAS feature.
Now, if this feature is turned off, can cruise control be used like in regular cars?
I really liked the Elevate, but Honda has cheaped out by not offering CC in VX version.
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:24   #80
BHPian

I recently bought Safari XZA+ Adventure - I could have stretched a bit more and gone for O variant with ADAS but honestly I am somehow not for all this driver assist, auto pilot kind of things. In fact I still don't even look in the screen for the ORVM views when taking turns. I prefer looking in ORVMs. 360 Degree camera however is a boon for parking a car this size in tight spaces.

As for ADAS, I'd rather be in the backseat if not having 100% control of my vehicle and depending on gizmos to do something which I should be doing myself as a good attentive and skillful driver.

Some key tenets I stick to-

Defensive driving
Expect the unexpected all the times on Indian roads
Don't assume if you can't see what's ahead.
Keep the speeds in limit - a few kmph make the life and death difference
Rodie09 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:44   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
In the Honda Elevate only the ZX version has cruise control and that too linked to ADAS.
In one of the YouTube user reviews, it was told that it has a tendency to apply brakes and this can startle the driver. So the only option is to turn off the ADAS feature.
Now, if this feature is turned off, can cruise control be used like in regular cars?
I really liked the Elevate, but Honda has cheaped out by not offering CC in VX version.
Hi, I don't think so. As per my understanding, it will still be adaptive cruise control. It operates as a separate feature where acceleration and braking comes with the package. Even if you disable the collision assist, you'll only be disabling it for when you're driving the vehicle without CC.
aakashsood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 12:15   #82
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Took an 100 + 100 kms night drive couple of days back on Bangalore-Hassan Road with my new Seltos with ADAS. It was rainy day but ADAS performed to perfection.

Enabled Adaptive cruise control, smooth take-off and smooth braking, unlike VW T-Cross and Audi Q3 which i had driven in Europe, where it used to take-off suddenly, sometimes even burning the rubber.

Enabled lane Assist, did feel awkward when the steering starts turning as corners, but quickly got adjusted and started to feel confident seeing how neatly it drives in center on the lane. It does warn to keep hand on steering even if you lift one hand.

Braking distance i had kept it as 2 cars as i was driving below 100 kmph, 2 cars is comfortable braking distance for India i guess, if you keep 4 cars, it brakes too early and possibility of someone rear-ending can happen.

Have disabled forward collusion and side take-off feature of ADAS, as we in India drive so closely it will press emergency brake and could result in undesired consequences.

Reverse collusion assist i have enabled, which is very useful, especially which taking reverse in blind spots. Have helped me once when a silent fast moving EV scooter passed and emergency braking kicked in, though was not visible in 360 deg camera, i guess radar picked it up.

Overall very satisfied with the ADAS in Seltos, i can confidently start using in highways and expressways.
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2023, 14:11   #83
BHPian

My take, whether the ADAS is useful or not depends on the road situation and that you cannot predict, it may work in your favour or not.

Emergency braking : The Kia Seltos and ambulance accident shows the danger of emergency braking in Indian roads. An alert driver will brake late of swerve safely because the car behind you may not be that response especially if ambulance or speed trucks , minivan etc.
On the other side the emergency braking can really help to detect obstacle or divider in the way. A few years ago, one of my relative was driving fast in early morning hours and due to fog didn't see a truck parked on one side of the road and crashed straight to it. There were 4 occupants and two of died instantly, his father and cousin.

I wonder how ADAS would react in two lane highway like the Mumbai Goa one where one need to overtake the slower vehicle and often there will be an incoming one. The experienced driver knows the small window in which he can do the overtake but ADAS would break and the incoming vehicle would straightaway crash.
Or in bumper traffic where driver instincts, reflex are the need.

So in challenging driving situation, better to rely on driver and not on ADAS unless ADAS is there on most of the vehicles.
Old 27th December 2023, 10:40   #84

I have bought the Kia Seltos facelift GTX+ during Navratri and have completed 2200 km since then. Most of it on the two trips to Nagpur and Lonavla/Mumbai.
As far as ADAS is concerned, i have been saved once by the FCW emergency braking. I was driving in a very slow traffic and, for a second, i was looking at the console for some setting change and the front vehicle stopped suddenly. I also use the park assist, blind spot assist and lane following assist.
However, i really don't like the safe exit warning; and lane keep assist. These are not really meant for Indian roads.
There are some irritating bits like warning for children's crossing and speed limits that are totally useless.
Old 1st May 2024, 08:18   #85
BHPian

Getting rear-ended seems to be the only disadvantage of ADAS emergency braking.

Similar to the implementation of seat belts and air bags, if ADAS is implemented in all the vehicles, it would be a safe world for everyone I think

Observe in the below video at 10:11:01 that emergency brake was activated because of the pedestrian and brake was released immediately as he didn't come infront of the vehicle. It was Honda Elevate.

Last edited by nreddy : 1st May 2024 at 08:25.
Old 1st May 2024, 10:30   #86
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Has anyone driven with Adaptive Cruise control on undivided two lane road ? I haven't tried it, as i am thinking it might break seeing incoming vehicle especially in curves ? It might still work if lane assist is active along with ACC, but not sure.
Old 6th May 2024, 22:22   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Has anyone driven with Adaptive Cruise control on undivided two lane road ? I haven't tried it, as i am thinking it might break seeing incoming vehicle especially in curves ? It might still work if lane assist is active along with ACC, but not sure.
I have done so quite often, without any such issues. Generally, we wouldn’t use cruise control on a very curvy road anyway.
Lobogris is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2024, 06:27   #88
Senior - BHPian

I find the rear cross traffic alert on the Verna quite useful albeit intrusive.. I have occasionally used lane keep assist and adaptive cruise on highway runs to stretch my arms a bit, but only for a minute or two. Forward collision is disabled for now as it feels a bit aggressive.
Old 18th June 2024, 20:42   #89
BANNED

A Question about Adaptive cruise control:

I have been using cruise control since 2009. While the roads were relatively empty, it was a boon. However, now it is restricted to free highways, and in TN, we almost don't have such ones. So, the usage of non-adaptive cruise control is becoming less practical day by day.

I have never owned a car with adaptive cruise control. Does it resolve the limitations of normal cruise control? Does it work well in city traffic conditions, or does it only function beyond certain speed limits?
Old 18th June 2024, 21:41   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
A Question about Adaptive cruise control:

Does it resolve the limitations of normal cruise control? Does it work well in city traffic conditions, or does it only function beyond certain speed limits?
Like a normal cruise control, adaptive cruise control (ACC) also requires a certain minimum speed to get engaged.

Once engaged, it can detect the vehicles in front of the car and slow down. Once the vehicle is out of its range (say, it increases speed or you change the lane), ACC will automatically accelerate the car to attain the set cruise speed.

I think most, if not all, cars with ACC have an option to set it’s sensitivity, i.e., how much distance should be there between your car and the vehicle in front before brakes are engaged by ACC control.

It works well even in city conditions. I have had my car stop itself when there are other vehicles already waiting at the red traffic light.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 18th June 2024 at 21:43.
MyLife_MyCar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks