Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you use ADAS in India?
Yes, I find it useful 114 40.86%
No, I find it useless 165 59.14%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 14:24   #31
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: ADAS in India : Do you use it? If yes, how?

I have level 2 ADAS on my Toyota Hycross and I have started to like it.

The problem with most of us is we are used to a certain style of driving. And more often than not, we don’t like someone (partner or AI) assisting our driving.

I started of a bit scared with the lane keep assist with the car nudging me in a direction. ACC wowed me from the beginning. I haven’t had the car break for me yet, but I can imagine it could be quite unnerving.

But a few kilometres in, I have understood the system, I love the assistance while driving to keep me in lane. It’s a gentle nudge every now and then to keep ensure that I stay in lane. It’s something I have started to expect and doesn’t bother me anymore.

Yesterday, while on the samruddhi mahamarg, I was thinking about how it’s not me driving alone anymore but the car is there, making it easier for me to drive. The car would steer the gentle curves of this highway while ensuring I was always there to take control when needed. I feel that any new tech needs both the user and the technology to adopt. I love the direction in which we are headed.
ashwinikalantri is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 14:32   #32
BHPian

I find it useful when I drive on expressways. I set it to 116kmph on roads with a limit of 120 and it does most of the work for me without the 120kmph alert.
Old 27th June 2023, 15:04   #33
BHPian

I have all the ADAS features turned ON on my XUV700.

ACC: You got to be a little bit patient with it and it will turn out such a boon for the drive. I don't use it all the time but I do use it regularly, and for that part the drive is very relaxed.

Auto Emergency Braking: I was hesitant to use it earlier, but have now become more used to it. Every time it has applied the auto braking, I have realised that I was possibly too close to the subject and a crash could have happened. I have now become much more careful and AEB has not really applied the automatic braking.

Lane Assist: Again a wonderful feature, makes one drive in the lane and is very helpful. I'm sure with this feature I'm doing more and more proper lane driving, and this in turn should help other drivers around me. This feature also encourages me to use lane changing indicators too. Again helpful for me to keep engaged in one more activity and also super helpful for the fellow road users.
gurminder_81 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 15:22   #34
BHPian

Voted yes. I have the new Verna DCT with ADAS. This is my first car with ADAS and atleast for the Verna, I see it being helpful and not intrusive as long as you don't push the system to extremities like going too close to pedestrians or aggressive over taking maneuvers (for eg between the small space in-between 2 trucks in 2 lanes where you go really close to the one in front and the brakes kick in to avoid collision and the warning from the right side mirror saying there's a vehicle.

IMHO, once you understand how the ADAS works, you can plan and play accordingly. Infact, the ADAS has saved me a few times especially when you are focusing on a U turn and that one (idiot) biker lingers on your right side and tries to do some stunts to cut you off.

Yes, ADAS has to be tuned for our Indian conditions with multiple variables on the road but I've been learning and using them in a planned manner like not rushing into cars in the front. I agree there will be the "not so ideal" situation like a car in front jamming the brakes causing the ADAS equipped car to stop automatically and the car behind to bump in but, in the end even in a non ADAS vehicle, there nothing much anyone can do

Joe
Grand Tourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:05   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Is there any thread comparing ADAS in cars available in India? car brands have different categories of ADAS so such comparison by cars will be useful to new buyers.
Old 27th June 2023, 17:25   #36
BHPian

I do like the way Tata have implemented ADAS on Safari/Harrier and this will help a great deal by warning drivers incase one is not paying attention or there is something in the blind spot, rear cross traffic alert, traffic alert while opening doors etc are much more useful in our conditions than something like active lane keep assist which I felt was intrusive for my taste and scary at times when I tried this feature in the states, will be too intrusive for our conditions
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:27   #37
BHPian

Perhaps the poll needs to have a third option - "No, but I think it is useful".

Some of the arguments against ADAS is flawed completely IMHO. Let me explain.
  1. Driver Engagement: None of the manufacturers asks the driver to go hands-free. These features are supposed to reduce the fatigue and assist the act of driving. If driver reflex is not allowing him/her to slam brakes on time, the system does it for you. Now, one may argue that no system can succeed in emergency situations completely - but that is the case for anything in this world, right? People had been disappointed once about automatic transmissions and had apprehensions about what it might do to a driver (driving will get boring, driver will fall asleep etc...?) Are drivers falling asleep now because of AT boxes?
  2. Inability of the drivers/cars behind you: What if the car braked in order to save a human being? Do we care the damage to the car or we care about avoiding an accident?
  3. Fear of our non-ADAS car rear ending an ADAS car: Shouldn't we adapt instead of complaining? This argument is as good as saying that a signal-less junction works in India better than one with a signaling system. Leave everything to human reflexes and it will take care of itself?

Now, what about the good bits that are not being opposed widely?
  • Blind spot monitor - the argument of the driver's ability to drive a car without ADAS? Isn't this similar to the question of having a reversing camera or not to have one?
  • Lane keep assist - The car can't force us to keep lane, right? It is driver's choice.

All revolutions start like this - it will transition from denial to acceptance over time. As one of the members have pointed out here - "Smartphones haven't made people less smarter". There are lot of them who have gone ahead from being smarter to being smartest. Mediocrity will always exist in the world - that shouldn't prevent us from achieving awesomeness.
vinodvayyat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:27   #38
BHPian

I voted yes and I am going to still admit that ADAS or Driver assistance packages are still usable. You don't have to use the entire suite to end up hating it and rather use the most useful set of features and end up loving it.

Both my Euro cars are built to the highest safety standards but I still enjoy the Driver Support Systems in my Volvo and I sort of miss them in the Kodiaq and even tempted to go for a Retrofit down the line.

Someone was asking if these systems are different from different manufactures and I believe so. In a Volvo these systems never sound like a retrofit and is the core of the driving experience and the vehicle characteristics. I can only speak from my experiences from the Volvo and having driving it for 5 years now, I have never felt the system to be too intrusive. In fact, the Auto braking by City Safety has only helped me in numerous situations where I just couldn't react on time. Volvos systems work in multiple stages and don't always bring the vehicle to a grinding halt. If you are at slightly higher speeds, it would only slow you down enough to avoid a collision and my understanding is the rear radars keep an eye on the traffic behind when braking. ( to avoid getting rear ended).

The other feature I absolutely love ( especially in nights) is the Lane keep assist and with well pave/marked roads in TN, this has never let me down. It has made me a better driver and I never switch lanes without indicating. Of course depending on the width of the roads, this can be a minor irritant as you need have a bit of tussle with the steering but I love how the steering nudges the car back into the lane effortlessly and force feedback.

BLIS, ( Blind spot information system) CTA ( Cross traffic alert), Distance Alert, Lane Keeping Aid, Auto High Beam, are all features that makes driving a lot more reassuring and safe. They have all collectively made me a sane driver and whenever switch to the Kodiaq from the V40 CC, I carry on the same driving practices.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:40   #39
BHPian

I have driven a few vehicles having the level of ADAS which steers for approximately 1 minute after which intervention is needed (need to apply some force to make the car feel the driver is controlling the steering). Let alone use it in India; personally, I prefer not to use them in Switzerland/Germany where traffic is more disciplined compared to India. This is more of my comfort and preference even though I agree ADAS features could save me from an accident one day.
Another annoying stuff is auto emergency braking. In residential areas, someone will be walking quite away from the vehicle not at all in the path of the car and the vehicle decides to brake hard!
Another shock was when I stepped out to open the garage door, opened, got into the car (automatic transmission), and started driving. After starting to move, the car suddenly shifted back to park (stopped as if it hit a wall) which I realized later was because I didn't wear a seat belt and the door was not fully shut.
Both the above scenarios are not pleasant in my opinion.
In spite of the above, I like adaptive cruise control. However, I am yet to get a chance to drive with adaptive CC in India and hence I cannot comment on that.
jagdish_ker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 17:42   #40
BHPian

Voted No.

For the kind of driving we and other road users are accustomed to I don't think the ADAS would be of much use. I wish manufactures give us a choice of opting for top-end versions without ADAS and passing on the price benefit or can balance with comfort features like memory function & ventilated seats or powered tailgate etc
Old 27th June 2023, 18:37   #41
BHPian

I think this poll should’ve had an option like “my car doesn’t have ADAS”. Many/ most of the respondents haven’t really used ADAS equipped cars beyond test drives. They’re just guessing that ADAS may or may not be useful, based on their understanding of the systems and their experience driving in our disorganised traffic.
one-77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 18:44   #42
BHPian

I am not completely sure that Auto Park Assist counts as ADAS or not. But I am not very confident of that feature. I am scared to even use that in my parking, I just feel like it can very easily misjudge the surroundings and bump into something because we have cramped parkings here in India almost everywhere. Can you tell me if its safe to use or should I just use it as boasting rights feature?
Old 27th June 2023, 20:07   #43
BHPian

Only those who have ADAS in their cars and have used it, or not, should really comment here. Otherwise it just becomes a theoretical discussion on ADAS features. Especially the usage in city driving. Highway driving is a different experience all together. My two cents please.
SeniorC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 20:31   #44
BHPian

I voted YES.

And the only reason for that is ADAS makes one a "BETTER DRIVER" and a "RESPONSIBLE ROAD USER".

How?
Eg 1 - Are we following the exact/appropriate distance between 2 vehicles irrespective of the place, time and situation? - ADAS at least warns/notifies/acts on that.
Eg 2 - Are maintaining the lane irrespective of the situation and place. ADAS notifies/warns.
Eg 3 - Are we appropriately using indicators especially during lane changes irrespective of the driving situation - ADAS at least warns/notifies.

Similarly there are many situations that we ignore/underplay/overplay which are not legal/appropriate. ADAS is designed as per the limitations, regulations, allowances of the traffic rules, even globally.

All I am saying is that ADAS makes one aware and reminds every time of the basic road etiquettes, responsibilities and behaviours which we learnt (in theory & practice) during the process of obtaining our license and that we ignore (or) nonchalant about in our every day road use.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 20:46   #45
BHPian

Yes, I do use ADAS but only on highways. The peace of mind that the car will break at it's 100% in the case of an emergency is really good. However in the city, there is too many beeps, so it stays off. Adaptive Cruise Control is also extremely useful. Lane Keep Assist is a hit or a miss, the roads many at times don't have lane markings and even if they do, I don't trust the LKA completely.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks