Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you use ADAS in India?
Yes, I find it useful 113 40.65%
No, I find it useless 165 59.35%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 11:30   #16
BHPian

Re: ADAS in India : Do you use it? If yes, how?

I use ADAS in my XUV most of the times and I find it extremely useful. ACC is like god sent. Helps to reduce fatigue on long journeys.
Emergency autonomous braking is another life saving feature. In city driving, one might find lane keep assist or autonomous braking intrusive but you always have an option to turn it off or reduce the sensitivity.

I don't buy ADAS makes drivers dumb argument. Smart phones have already turned humans dumb
StepUP! is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:30   #17
BHPian

Voted, I find it useless.
I have not driven any vehicle equipped with ADAS, but with way everyone drives in India it is useless within city.
I believe, it would be same on highways as well as I mostly observe slow moving vehicles cutting through the lanes or trying to overtake another slow moving vehicle. I feel other than enabling and using it for 1-2 km stretch, this is not at all useful. I am not able to enable cruise control for more than 1-2 km on highway, I think ADAS would be similar.

On other hand, I recently saw few videos where people were treating ADAS as autonomous driving. In that video a gentleman, left his driving seat and shifted to front passenger seat. He was also using his mobile while reclining on the dashboard.

So as long as, ADAS is made complete 'fool'proof. I would consider it more of a risk than a safety in India.
Old 27th June 2023, 11:35   #18
BHPian

I currently don’t have a vehicle with ADAS systems, and haven’t had the opportunity to try the features yet. But, given all the reviews, content, and opinions about the various types of ADAS systems, few make sense in India, few are downright dangerous. ACC, lane-keep-assist, blindspot monitoring are the three features I’d like to have and use in a vehicle.

FCW & AEB are features that require a high level of tuning to adapt to Indian road conditions, which would be both time consuming and expensive.

At the end of the day, the road network in India is slowly but surely getting better. It is only right for automobile manufacturers to leverage this and get more advanced features. As always there’ll be irresponsible motorists. Effective training and re-training by govt is key to ensure safer motorists on the road.
Old 27th June 2023, 11:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes. I recently bought a Tata Safari and the level 1 ADAS is really good enough for Indian conditions. Mainly I like the blind spot warning, rear collision warning, rear cross traffic alert, forward collision warning and auto high beam assist. Somehow not liking the AEB, because as others mentioned it's very intrusive and you need to be careful with the cars coming behind you. But I am sure, it will be useful in some scenarios, which we might not experience throughout the ownership.

I believe it is like an insurance to the car, which will be needed at some point of time. It is better to have something and use it when needed, rather than not having it at all.
fusionbang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:41   #20
BHPian

Voted No.

ADAS, in my opinion, is not yet configured for Indian road / driving conditions. Technology if not used in the right environment can have not so favourable consequences - I'll always be on the edge if I deploy ADAS while driving in manic traffic and ill-maintainted roads. So I do not see any use of having this expensive tech in my car, at least in the near future.
Old 27th June 2023, 11:45   #21

I've been using Comma 3 from Comma.ai for a while now with my Skoda Superb 2020. Like others pointed out the adaptive cruise control part is not great for our Indian city roads because of the people who cut through lanes but it's perfect for night drives on highways.One thing I love about it is that it has Lateral ( steering ) control from 0 Kmph. I only work on the accelerator and brake and keep my hands on the steering. It takes care of the steering for most of the time. The only time I need to actually use the steering is for making turns at signals. I've done almost 15k kms with this mode on.
Name:  Screenshot 20230627 at 11.43.35 AM.png
Views: 1074
Size:  17.0 KB
smileplease is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 11:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

My car (Tiguan Allspace) has few driver assistive features like AEB, Lane Assistance, park assist and Cruise Control.
After few instances of unexpected (and unwarranted) sudden braking, I have switched off the AEB.
I have tried using the lane assistance (car recognises well marked lanes and takes over the 'steering' for you). This helped to kill some boredom as it is entertaining to watch the car steering by itself but you are aways on the edge to take over the control any moment the car may go the wrong way. After using it for some time, the attention you need to pay comes down but it can't replace the 'muscle memory' of your hands.
I have been hesitant to use the cruise control but found out that it can be really handy to maintain a steady speed (even if it is not 'adaptive cruise control).
I have never tried the parking assist/automatic parking (It is too much of anxiety )
Overall, it will be nice to have ADAS on your car.
Old 27th June 2023, 12:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post

1. Do different manufacturers have wildly different implementations of ADAS? How different is Mahindra vs Hyundai vs Honda vs Volvo vs others?
There could be slight differences in implementation; for e.g., in XUV700 AEB is active only if the speed is above 10 KMPH while in a Volvo it is slightly higher.

Quote:
2. How useful is adaptive cruise control in city traffic? Does it work at speeds of 0-60kmph.

My ideal scenario in traffic is the car handles all braking and acceleration on it's own, based on movement of the cars ahead. I don't mind steering (considering we don't have proper lane markings, I do not even expect lane-keep assist to work properly). I do not mind if it leaves a little extra space and a few aggressive drivers cut ahead of me. As long as I don't have to move my feet, that would be a huge boon.
In XUV700 to engage ACC you have to be above 10 KMPH. But once engaged it will work at any speed including below 10 KMPH. It goes to standby mode if the vehicle in front has come to a stand still for more than 3secs. Once the vehicle in front starts moving, you can press the "Resume" button to begin moving.

Quote:
What exactly is traffic jam assist? Do all ADAS equipped cars have it. I had read somewhere that the Mahindra ADAS can only be activated at highway speeds, and does not work below 40 or 60kmph. That would completely defeat my purpose.

What other manufacturers have adaptive cruise / traffic jam assist that works at low speeds?
I am not aware of "traffic jam assist".
As mentioned above, in Mahindra XUV700, AEB works if speed is above 10 KMPH.
ACC works at any speed (but needs to be above 10 KMPH to be engaged initially).
Lane keep assist works if both lane markers are detected and vehicle speed is above 60 KMPH
amahale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 12:20   #24
BHPian

I had my first stint with ADAS recently. I drove my friend's XUV 700 from Delhi to Dehradun with ADAS turned on. I found the system uncompatible with our roads. Even on the Meerut expressway, I found it to be quiet unnerving. Main reason is lack of lane discipline on our roads. Emergency braking tends to kick in quiet sharply, as the vehicle ahead cut lanes without any signal. Till an ADAS system tuned for Indian road is implemented, it will remain a gimmick.
Old 27th June 2023, 12:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

I do use the ADAS features on my XUV700 and i find it to be really useful and a desirable feature to have. Especially the adaptive cruise control works like a charm on the expressways, and lane keep assist as well works as well, but keeps intervening for tiny corrections, so i prefer to turn that off alone.
But after i deviate into smaller towns from the highways I immediately turn OFF the Auto emergency braking feature. As i feel the distance we maintain between the vehicles is little too less for the system to work efficiently and keeps warning on forward collision and brakes suddenly.

And of course i always keep the auto emergency braking OFF in city driving conditions. ADAS is not to be blamed for it, as it works wonderfully well IMO. But overall traffic conditions are such it limits the use in cities.
sridhar24 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 12:45   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yes I do use the ADAS features of the XUV 700 and find most of them to be useful.

Initially I had kept the ADAS features OFF till I got accustomed with the size of the car as well as the AT. After that I switched on the ADAS features even within the city. Now after almost a year I know when the AEB would kick-in and I try not to put the car into such a situation. I slow down or even stop to let pedestrian and bicycles go first. For two wheelers and other four wheelers I'm a little less sensitive and use the horn instead. Actually the ADAS features have transformed me into a defensive driver.

The Adaptive Cruise Control with stop and go is very useful in the highways and it behaves exactly the way M&M advertised. It reduces the stress of driving to a great extent.

Apart from this the 360 degree surround view, the blind spot monitor are all very useful features in Indian driving condition.
Sommos is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 13:06   #27

I have driven my MG Astor for 30k KM with "Emergency auto breaking" always enabled and in "medium" sensitivity. Had 1 case of it braking in a scenario where it is risky (mis-identified pedestrian walking on roadside and braked). I also keep "Lane Keep Assist" always on.

I find Blind spot monitoring, Auto breaking and LKA very very useful in general. Auto Cruise control is kind of useful, but only in rare cases. sedate drivers might find it much more useful than I.
Old 27th June 2023, 13:49   #28
BHPian

Purpose of ADAS, in my opinion, is useful only when other vehicles on the road are also ADAS fitted! Someone cuts your lane, ADAS on your vehicle applies brakes and the adaptive cruise on the vehicle following you does the needful and overall traffic on the road becomes very sorted.

I am sure this will become mainstream like Disk brakes/ABS/Airbags made their way in, ADAS being most disruptive though. But until then, it certainly looks rosy on FB reels, but throws unexpected surprises in real life
Zinda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 13:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Voted No, because I only find select ADAS features (warnings) useful in India and not the whole suite of autonomous interventions

As a road user not having ADAS, I am anxious and alarmed at the prospect of an ADAS equipped vehicle in front making an uncalled for emergency manoeuvre; catching me unawares. The abrupt braking by ADAS on our roads reminds me of a novice driver who will probably panic and over react, someone who hopefully sports an L board and whom I will give a wide berth.

ADAS equipped vehicles need to have a warning at the back (like the Caution Air Brakes of yore!)

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 27th June 2023 at 13:54.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 14:11   #30
BHPian

While deciding to purchase between a Tiguan and a Tucson, the latter did have more creature comforts and the 'perceived to be useful' feature of ADAS. However having driven ADAS equipped cars in others earlier, decided to remove that from the criteria and settled for the solidly built Tiguan.

In fact on my Octavia, I use a Garmin dash cam that comes with ADAS features like lane departure warning, proximity to another vehicle while above a certain speed etc. and I find that to be way more useful and safer since it's just a warning and does not get adventurous with automatic braking and the like.
vikramk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks