Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2023, 18:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Kerala: Speed limit for vehicles on State roads revised | EDIT: 100 km/h for LMVs from May 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Interestingly when I was driving around in New Zealand saw this speed limit changes while passing thru a populated area handled very well.
As you approach a spot there is board saying reduce speed 70 limit ahead. As you cross the 70 board says slow
Is fines collection more important than making people follow the rules??
I ve driven various vehicles in a number of countries across the globe and find always when Im outside India, that the speed limits are always accurately scientifically calibrated around the road characteristics, banking, gradients and of course as you said, populated areas, schools, hospitals and all.

It is indeed also true that owing to these well ordained characteristics of the roads on which one is driving, I ve always found that I am ‘naturally and instinctively’ going at exactly those speeds, irrespective and even before Ive actually seen the speed limit sign.

The difference is that in India everything is arbitrary and the above scientific calibration simply does not exist.

And yes, in India the focus IS most definitely on fine collection and NOT on creating better Road Citizenship. A Typical short sighted attitude. Treat the symptom while ignoring the fundamental root cause.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th June 2023 at 18:32.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 19:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Kerala: Speed limit for vehicles on State roads revised | EDIT: 100 km/h for LMVs from May 2024

Do we sincerely have as solution to this?

The two dire menace of Kerala.

Kerala: Speed limit for vehicles on State roads revised | EDIT: 100 km/h for LMVs from May 2024-maxresdefault.jpg

KL has its traffic laws all squandered. As much as local laws proactively and definitely help instill much needed gray matter for the (m)asses, the perpetual dread and dreary of the above haunts each and every motorist both inside and outside the state.

KLMVD and KSRTC definitely need a reality check where their priorities are, especially considering that the state transport has been accumulating the title of Grim Reaper for all the wrong reasons. I sincerely hope KLMVD and KSRTC and the ministry put forth the right tools and measures in place so that the a medium that's designed to help people doesn't turn out to be hindrance and a death box on wheels.

Kerala: Speed limit for vehicles on State roads revised | EDIT: 100 km/h for LMVs from May 2024-ejqna1qwoaijfxn.jpg

The second one is this, these turn, jump, ricochet and sway all over the place.. without a warning...in the blink of an eye, faster than thought actually travels through neurons. These humble ones may not seem much intimidating when compared to its bigger Iron Man cousin, but trust me these might just as quickly if not badly get one into trouble. Left Hand out, right indicator on, yet the dimwit will go straight. KL/KA auto wallas are some of the worst I've come across.. Will KLMVD do something to enforce some practical rules so that these metal muffins and the owners are enforced to proper working lights, lane discipline and traffic rules. If they do, the roads would be a much better place.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 21:05   #18
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Do we sincerely have as solution to this?

The two dire menace of Kerala.
considering that the state transport has been accumulating the title of Grim Reaper for all the wrong reasons.
The private buses too are as poorly driven if not worse. Buses (both RTC & Private) have had speed limits (Speed governor) for a long time now but they never abide by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
The second one is this, these turn, jump, ricochet and sway all over the place.. without a warning
This is a lost cause not just in Kerala but across the country.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 23:44   #19
BHPian

Having lived and driven in kerala for most part of my life I can say that the state and national highways really need to move a step ahead in infrastructure for one to expect these speeds to be realistic and safe for a sane driver.
I often joke that even a street cart vegetable vendor or a flower cart vendor uses the national highway in almost all parts of the state for their daily living. Adjoining other states are a notch above.
Old 18th June 2023, 03:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
The private buses too are as poorly driven if not worse. Buses (both RTC & Private) have had speed limits (Speed governor) for a long time now but they never abide by it.

This is a lost cause not just in Kerala but across the country.
It’s not their top speed that’s a problem, I barely see them cross 70-80kmph. The problem is that they will do this 80kmph even in very narrow 1-2 lane roads with reckless abandon, running other vehicles off the road to overtake rather than braking
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2024, 21:29   #21
BHPian

Alert!!

Reduced again to 100 kmph for LMV's.

Name:  Screenshot 20240521.png
Views: 115
Size:  35.5 KB

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...ala-roads.html
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
It’s not their top speed that’s a problem, I barely see them cross 70-80kmph. The problem is that they will do this 80kmph even in very narrow 1-2 lane roads with reckless abandon, running other vehicles off the road to overtake rather than braking
In addition they overtake on blind corners, as far as I can see, deliberately (as if it is their SOP). I think I understand the thinking; with their load and bad power to weight ratio, the only places they can overtake a more agile automobile is at these corners. So the go all out here.

I have never had a problem with them on proper dual carriage way roads because it is easy to stay away from them (either give them way or accelerate them out) but on single carriage way winding roads, they are really scary. Every blind corner can throw a surprise - an oncoming wrong side bus or if there is one behind will suddenly be to your right. I shudder to think of the situation when both of them happen together.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks