Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 16:43   #1
BHPian

Ego: A major cause of road accidents

I recently read a thread here about how highway hypnosis is being suspected to be a major cause of accidents and fatalities on Indian highways, but I think we need to consider a much more commonly found and dangerous enemy as a big contributor to road accidents and fatalities: Ego.

When trying to piece together the whys and wherefores in the event of an accident, we often come across statements which give us a clue; "A Maruti Alto dared to overtake me! How could I take that insult and let it go, when I'm driving a Tata Harrier? I had to show him his place!" and so on. In Sweden, a mandatory component of the process to obtain a driver's license is participation in a 3 hour long training session which specifically focuses on the dangers of alcohol and drug use, driving while tired or sick, and the dangers of giving in to ego, peer pressure and other social mores. It is specifically pointed out that it's silly to compete with others on the road, and several examples where such behavior have led to poor outcomes are discussed to help drill home the point. Does this training work all the time? Definitely not, but it makes it possible to recognize the signs that we are letting ego get the better of us, giving us an opportunity to overcome it, instead of simply giving into it.

An Indian expat who's lived here for a while was narrating how he lost his Swedish DL. He'd been driving slightly above the speed limit, when a Volvo shot past him, at least 40 km/h over the limit. "How dare he! Let me show him that I too can drive fast!" vowed our friend, and accelerated to over 165 km/h on a 110 km/h road, only to see the otherwise unmarked Volvo light up with red and blue lights from the inside! They were the police, in an unmarked vehicle, and our friend got a fine of around 8000 SEK (~60k INR), got his DL impounded, and sentenced to serve a 2 year ban, before he would be allowed to take the driving test afresh in order to get his DL back, a process that includes repeating the 3 hour lecture about ego clouding ones judgment!

When I drive on the motorways here in Sweden, and merge behind a car that is doing the speed limit, I just slot in behind it, ensure a safe separation, and turn on the cruise control. If the car ahead is fractionally below the limit, I turn the CC down a couple of clicks to continue to maintain the same separation. The only time I overtake a car doing a similar speed is if it is being driven erratically, if it is drifting between lanes etc. Similarly, cars behind me are happy to slot behind me as long as I'm driving safely and predictably. If I'm going over the limit, I'll have to do many overtakes, or if I'm driving much below the limit, I force a lot of people to overtake me, but when I drive at or very close to the limit, there's no display of ego like I've seen on Indian roads.

The lecture on risky behavior on roads is part of Sweden's Zero Vision (aim to achieve 0 fatalities on the road from the current 300 odd fatalities each year), and it seems to have along with the other measures, helped to bring down the fatality count steadily over the years. A course like that if made mandatory in India, to secure the learner's license, or as a prerequisite to take the driving test might ensure that at least a few more individuals drive sensibly, and leave ego out of the equation while driving on the road. Till then, we'll continue to see cases under the accidents thread here that are attributable to ego overriding common sense.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th June 2023 at 04:51. Reason: Typo.
supermax is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 11:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Ego: A major cause of road accidents

Well said. By virtue of having stayed in different states in our country, I have found out that driving test is a joke. If one can pull the right strings, driving licence will be served in a platter without even getting out of one’s house. We have a long way to go to streamline the process.
Kkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 09:07   #3
BHPian

The process of Obtaining license is a joke in India and are also the driving schools.

The size of your Ego increases multiple times with the Size of your vehicle, stickers, slogans.. etc

I would be interesting if India also includes a class on Ego management while driving. I can assure you that people have too much ego to even attend Ego Management course.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Different speed limits for different class of vehicles ensures that there is no *Peaceful Drive* in India. More than Ego, driving on Indian highways is like playing a racing game on a brick console.

Ego: A major cause of road accidents-oip.jpeg

Picture this, you are driving on a road with a 100kmph speed limit. Your speedo shows 100kph but in reality on GPS the car is doing just about 92ish. So you speed up to 110ish to stay at the actual speed limit.

It is a 6 lane highway (like the Jaipur-Delhi NH48, Erstwhile NH8). HCVs, speed-governed by law, are driving along at 70-80 (on speedo, 7-10% less in reality) in all 3 lanes based on their whims and fancies. They stay away from the left lane since commuter 100cc bikes ride on that lane at speeds that are even slower. The only thing a car going roughly 50% faster than this heavy vehicle traffic can do to maintain its speed (within speed limit) is to change lanes every 10 seconds and keep up the stressful game of constant overtaking. The only other option is to slow down and take much more time to do the same distance.

You can't possibly replicate the Cruise Control scenario that the OP mentioned in the opening post unless you are on one of the very few *newer* access controlled expressways (like the Trans Haryana, Yamuna or Samruddhi) which charge exorbitant tolls for 80+ speed limits which makes sure that most CVs stay away.

I drive very close to the speed limit on any road that I am on but Modern best selling cars nowadays are sometimes more powerful than my own and I realize that so I tend to give way if anyone wants to overtake. My car happens to be at the top of the pile when it comes to power output when it comes to comparing in the same segment so an Alto will rarely be the one to overtake while going much faster than me, especially on plain roads. If it does, I assume that the person is in a colossal hurry and let it pass.

It is a different matter on the Himalayan roads where these small cars have a big advantage and I know better than to overplay my hand on those unpredictable curves.
antz.bin is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:15   #5
BHPian

What triggers my ego is people who break rules getting ahead of me.

Think those who cut in from the left for a right turn, blocking off those who were following rules by being in the correct lane.

If I'm in the front of the correct lane, I happily let me ego get a hold of me. On the green signal, I accelerate and adjust my turning line so that those vehicles following rules and lane discipline can turn right peacefully, those coming from the wrong left lane end up in rather hairy situations sometimes thanks to me.

Is it ego-driven, yes. I like punishing those who break rules and lack civic sense. Could it be a cause of accidents, possibly?

I will probably never be the type of person to let some get ahead of me by breaking rules, whether it's line-cutting at airport security, or lane-cutting on the streets. This is where my ego comes in. Can't say I'm ashamed of it either.

Whether what I'm doing is right or wrong, other members can decide.
kadanaJ is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:19   #6
BHPian

In my opinion, Ego could be one of the reasons for accidents in India, but not major.

Major reasons are, lack of discipline, no enforcement of rules, inadequate infrastructure leading to accidents (lack of lanes, poorly designed intersections/roads, no traffic lights), people driving in wrong direction, lack of awareness.

If we look at "Accidents in India" thread videos, most of the accidents are due to ignorance, not following proper safety measures (parked trucks) and rash driving as navigating through chaotic driving every single day has made people impatient and immune to what is rash driving (like cutting across lanes, driving/following too closely etc.)

There is no enforcement and our process to award licenses is a cruel joke.
OffRoadFun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:31   #7
BHPian

I think ego is defiitely one of the factor, especially, some vehicle owners feel they should overtake smaller vehicles at all costs.
Also, many people believing they are immune to accidents, ignore to follow basic rules, be respectful to other road users and road manners when comes to own driving, while readily teach others.
Old 14th June 2023, 10:40   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The process of Obtaining license is a joke in India and are also the driving schools.
How is that?

From what I remember back in the 2000s.

There was 20 classes or so with an instructor on the road, a written test to get the learner`s license, an eye test, then another 5 classes to practice the 'H', there was some classroom session about road safety etc.

The actual driving test requires a road test with an official inspector, he did not pass everyone who took the test , then under his supervision you need to pass the 'H' test to demonstrate your parking skills, again not everyone got a pass.

I have earned my license this way in Kochi, how did you get yours?
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 10:56   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I have earned my license this way in Kochi, how did you get yours?
Hi Kosfactor - I agree that many people who got permanent driving license have got classes & driving tests before getting the license, but it is not about knowing laws & rules, it is whether one follow those laws & rules in his/her actual driving. I feel sorry to say but my experience is those who follow rules are generally considered idiots by most others, atleast here in NCR. Reality is we follow what we see on the road and in case of India, we mostly see non compliance of law by everyone (including those who make law) and therefore, majority of us do not follow most of the rules & laws of driving (unless there is a police person or camera around).

Last edited by Aditya : 28th June 2023 at 10:48. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Old 14th June 2023, 11:05   #10

Thank you Supermax for bringing this much important topic to the forum. Over all Ego is driving the Indian roads in a big way.. This is much more evident on the highways where is fatality rate is very high.

Apart from the Ego factor, we should not be forgetting the Competitive mindset in the India community which at-least the current gen (including most of us) of the drivers/road users were taught since the childhood. We should be quick to grab the opportunities (Be it admissions, jobs etc..). The same competition is being demonstrated on the roads.

Third reason which I observed with my 15 years driving on Bangalore roads is the urge to get to other lanes if we see a small gap (including two wheelers and Auto Rickshaw). This puts the pressure on the driver to drive with out sufficient gap from the previous vehicle; if there is gap it will be immediately taken by vehicles from other lanes which could lead to a crash incase the previous vehicle brakes.

My commute to work had increased from 10Km per day to 40 Km since the past six months with mix of highway and city roads. This had definitely increased my anxiety in driving to avoid any my scratches/crash. Maintaining the vehicle with out an dents/scratches in Bangalore traffic is an achievement .
MC@1986 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:15   #11
BHPian

For me, lack of respect for rules, lack of respect for other's rights on the road, haste, and DUI are the major causes of accidents in India. Ego too plays a role, but, if it is caused by ego and rage, can we call it an accident? Anyway, I have experienced this many times on the road, riding a two-wheeler and driving my Nissan Micra. When I am riding my bike, and overtake a car, the car owners take offense and zoom past me within a couple of minutes. Most of the time it's the Altos, WagonRs, Kwids, and Micras that take offense! Then when I am driving the Micra the big boys take the offense. I don't mind them overtaking me, what irks me the most is, after overtaking me they go back to their lane-hugging habits, blocking my way. It is easy to back off a little and let them have the road when I am not in a hurry, otherwise, it is irritating, to say the least.

I brought up this issue a few years back on this forum, I was told to get used to this sort of behavior.
Old 14th June 2023, 11:16   #12
BHPian

Well written. The best practices from other parts of the world are there to follow. Cannot go around them.
However the problem with India is more deep rooted and systemic.
A driver in the US cannot even think of willfully violating a rule because the strong laws and the fear of punishment, increase in insurance, points in the driver’s license. Every thing stops him/her from violating. Ego etc takes a back seat when they know there is no low level corruption and no getting out unscathed if violation is caught.
That is the main driver.

In India it’s a hierarchy based society. That is why all “Govt Vehicles” are driving the car like a weapon. Yo show their ego. They are carrying a representative of the people, elected by the people and now has crossed over to a side where no law can touch him or her.
How do you break whos of drivers of govt vehicles?

We don’t even have violation points database and violations are pinned against the vehicle, not the driver.

Who will fix this?

Definitely not the bloating ministers.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:22   #13
BHPian

Ego might be a factor in accidents but I don't believe it's a major reason. I think it's nowhere near that.

What OP's friend displayed was foolishness not ego.

When things go against us, we tend to think the whole universe is planning against us. Higher bhp cars will most likely get ahead of not so high bhp cars. It's the same in every field. More intelligent and/or hard working people will most likely get ahead of others. We already have reservation in govt jobs to negate that, do we need reservation for cars too?

Our road infra is messy, but we tend to blame our drivers. I have seen 80kmph, 60kmph, 40kmph signs in just few hundred meters, with 60kmph and 40kmph exactly at the same location but one on left side and other on the right side of a 2 lane road (eastern freeway) or I might be missing something(left lane can't be faster or maybe it is on the freeway). Same thing on Mumbai-Pune expressway. And numerous other illogical things on other roads. How does one train for that from a book? It more of authorities fault than drivers fault right from issuing DLs to road infra to making rules. And drivers are taking decisions according to their best knowledge/experience.

OT: "Id, ego and superego" are a part of our pysche. And ego is not bad at all.

Last edited by Tucker48 : 14th June 2023 at 11:23.
Old 14th June 2023, 11:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
What triggers my ego is people who break rules getting ahead of me.

Think those who cut in from the left for a right turn, blocking off those who were following rules by being in the correct lane.

If I'm in the front of the correct lane, I happily let me ego get a hold of me. On the green signal, I accelerate and adjust my turning line so that those vehicles following rules and lane discipline can turn right peacefully, those coming from the wrong left lane end up in rather hairy situations sometimes thanks to me.

Is it ego-driven, yes. I like punishing those who break rules and lack civic sense. Could it be a cause of accidents, possibly?

I will probably never be the type of person to let some get ahead of me by breaking rules, whether it's line-cutting at airport security, or lane-cutting on the streets. This is where my ego comes in. Can't say I'm ashamed of it either.

Whether what I'm doing is right or wrong, other members can decide.
I am in the same boat as you. It ticks me off so much, that I don't even think for a second and try to put them in their place. It is ego and I know it, and like you, it happens even in a supermarket billing counter. My rationale to it is, why can't the person not be selfish and understand that there others who have been waiting/following rules and so forth.

I am trying to control it and it has reduced a bit because I have reduced driving mainly and while riding, it is not much because the chances of getting stuck behind a hero like this is less.

Ego in turn is also the major factor for road rage. Just this morning when I was returning after dropping my wife to office on my motorcycle and on a busy road where everyone is following each other patiently, comes Mr. IOwnTheRoad in his Passat from a side road. Doesn't bother stopping to check traffic on his right and joins the main road which was okay since he came into a small gap and sneaked in. What ticked me off was instead of sticking to the left lane and merge slowly to the right, he does it abruptly not bothering to check his mirrors just because there was a car slowing down in front of him. The icing on the cake was when I noticed that he was in fact taking a left from the main road and he could have stuck to the left itself instead of moving to the right abruptly where traffic was flowing smoothly. And so the ego in me woke up and I overtook him and slowly nudged him to the left which is when he got annoyed, which was the whole point anyway and since the left lane which was leading to a service road beside the underpass was empty, I sped until a signal where Mr.IOwnTheRoad had to deviate and to make sure he won the ego battle in his head, he shows me the finger.

These incidents happen almost every time I take my vehicle out and with the number of vehicles on the road increasing to a point the roads are not enough for them, it is only upto each person to control his/her emotions which gets increasingly difficult, given the conditions and how selfish most of us are in terms of following driving etiquette and rules.

Last edited by tharian : 14th June 2023 at 11:33.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 11:28   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
How is that? I have earned my license this way in Kochi, how did you get yours?
I did not learn driving in the driving school, I learnt it in the old fashion way of sitting on the front seat and observing each and every move of the drivers (cars, minivan, buses, lorry, tractors..). I did give a driving test for my DL back in 90s with the Inspector in the front seat. In fact I have giving driving test in multiple countries and successfully obtained driving license in the 1st attempt.

When I referred to driving school, I was pointing to the way they teach actual driving on the road. Example - Most of the driving school cars I see on road stick to the extreme right lane (fast lane) and this translate into driving habit of the learner as well.

Most of the driving school have some understanding with the RTO (at least here in Karnataka). Their main intention is to get through the 10/20 classes and get the learner to pass the DL Test.

I have had 1st hand experience of my friends going through driving school in US, Canada, UK and here in India as well. There is a difference in the way driving is thought. Following traffic rules to dot, right of way, defensive driving, lane discipline, courtesy driving, etc.. are few of the things which are not strictly instilled in the learner in India by the driving school.

But it doesn't mean that those who don't learn from driving school are much better, majority are the same.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks