Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2023, 13:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Innocent young techie stuck in car, loses her life at a flooded underpass in Bangalore

While I do agree that the driver should have been careful in this particular instance, I don't quite agree with the idea of accepting such potentially fatal underpasses in our cities.

We are not talking about a place without resources, or the lack of technical know-how to eliminate such potentially fatal underpasses. All it takes is the political will to fix such issues, but sadly human life is cheap in our country, and everyone will move on within a few days, with no accountability whatsoever.

People will always be stupid. We can't cure that. That cultural shift will take decades at the very least. But what we have in our hands is to upgrade the infrastructure to an acceptable level.
itisK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 15:02   #32
BHPian

Re: Innocent young techie stuck in car, loses her life at a flooded underpass in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
A lady who gave her saree to be tied to pull the people out and a journalist bravely broke the glass and pulled out the occupants.
Two journalists according to IE.
Quote:
An officer said the situation would have turned more tragic if Vijay and Nagesh, employees of a Kannada media outlet, had not come to the family’s rescue. Vijay knew swimming and rushed to help the family while Nagesh requested a woman to give him a saree. Some women gave their dupattas. They managed to rescue three people from the car even before the rescue personnel arrived at the spot, said a police officer.
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-back-8623496/

Last edited by trippytragopan : 23rd May 2023 at 15:02. Reason: grammar
trippytragopan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:16   #33
BHPian

Very sad incident. One thing needs to be highlighted. Why don’t we have vehicles that unlock after incidents like flooding and stalling. Would that be a big deal to make?
The govt needs to get a regulation to only manufacturer vehicles which allow this feature.
Most of the valuable time is lost trying to open door or getting out of the window. The lady would’ve been saved despite being in the third row seat.
Old 23rd May 2023, 16:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisK View Post
People will always be stupid. We can't cure that. That cultural shift will take decades at the very least. But what we have in our hands is to upgrade the infrastructure to an acceptable level.
+1. Infrastructure must be conservative, defensive by design. The horror in most of our infra is that there is no thought towards safety, and no accountability. I still remember the tragic Cyrus Mistry accident, and people on this forum of all places will keep blaming the driver till cows come home. Indeed, it will take a long time before we learn to insist that infra planners need to be accountable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisK View Post
We are not talking about a place without resources, or the lack of technical know-how to eliminate such potentially fatal underpasses. All it takes is the political will to fix such issues, but sadly human life is cheap in our country, and everyone will move on within a few days, with no accountability whatsoever.
Agree again. How difficult could defensive design be in this case, one wonders. A digital screen on approach showing live water level + advisory, and a boom barrier + flashing lights if safe level is breached.

Is it difficult? Do we not have the money? Its none of that. There is just no incentive or public pressure or accountability in our public/civic processes.

The officers who approved the design and commissioned without safeguards should be held accountable. That can be a start which forces a more 'human centric' infra.
dust-n-bones is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 17:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just another thought = it's a Xylo cab and news articles are claiming there were 7 people in the car. I have a feeling she was the unlucky one in the last / 3rd row, from where it could be the most difficult to get out in such a situation.
All the passengers were from another city (Mulabagilu) and had come to Bangalore on that same day. They were not aware of the underpass or the floods and took that route. Very unfortunate incident.
Old 23rd May 2023, 18:56   #36

My father used to work in this area for a long time.

In the early stage of our visits, there was no underpass. We were also around when they built it at a snail's pace.

It is to be noted that it was NOT flooding in the initial years. However, it fills up all the time since a long time now.

In the end it could have been any of us, as it only took a split sec decision to go in.

I have gone through a lot of messges here. Seen a lot of blame, but i havent seen anyone posting anything about how to survive such an ordeal.

So here is a video from me, hope it helps someone

0chaos is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 20:28   #37

Shouldn't there be a scale with marked danger levels for every Underpass. This will give a fair indication for drivers about impeding danger ahead.
hex_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust-n-bones View Post
+
How difficult could defensive design be in this case, one wonders. A digital screen on approach showing live water level + advisory, and a boom barrier + flashing lights if safe level is breached.
My two cents in elaboration:
1- Early Warning: With the advent of reasonably precise weather forecasting, if a shower is predicted 30 minutes in the future, a simple LED/neon board with "ALERT" in Kannada and English can light up in amber.

2- Rain Sensing: When it does begin to rain, the same board now lights up in red, with a simple sentence over the PA (in English + Kannada) cautioning drivers of possible waterlogging in the underpass. This can be accompanied by flashing amber lights. This warning can be reset remotely.

3- Excess Flooding: A simple float valve, set at about 80 cm (experts can recommend a better setting) height can be used to activate a boom barrier + flashing red lights + "ALERT" board + PA announcements of flooding + if possible, turning traffic lights leading to the underpass red. This warning only deactivates if manually reset at the base of the underpass.

4- The Government can maybe work with Google/Apple/Tom-tom and other companies to warn users of blocked underpasses so that drivers can safely renavigate.

I don't think this would be too expensive or difficult to implement in a large scale, citywide. One LED/Neon Board + three traffic light fixtures + one speaker + a boom gate + a rain sensor + a simple float valve is all is needed.

Last edited by ryzen7@5800u : 23rd May 2023 at 22:05. Reason: Corrected point 3.
ryzen7@5800u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Someone needs to blast the underpasses. Why cant they spend little more money and build flyovers? Whatever drainage system they design, it will not help heavy rains. The current systems are gravity based and it sometimes has to drain a long way away.
The only drainage possible in any underpass is to construct a couple of covered wells at the bottom most point into which the rainwater will go. Flooding will occur once they fill up but it will take quite a bit of rain to fill them up. Additionally pumpsets must be deployed in such places. That is why a flyover is always safer.

It is silly and the height of irresponsibility to say a barricade was placed to alert motorists but it must have fallen over. Prominent signs should be placed to warn road users and traffic police personnel should be posted before the entry point to warn people away.

I wonder if someone from some political bigwigs' family dies in such a manner and a few crumbs are thrown their way, how they will feel.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:20   #40
BHPian

In my opinion, its a lot of finger pointing at authorities. Sure, we could have all this tech, but I am not sure what sensors and LEDs would ensure 100% safety. If anything, I would expect those to break down as rain, & dirt settles on these electronics. Then there are power failures every rainy season because of fallen trees, etc. The first order of things needs to be basic road sense in drivers. Defensive driving.

When there is a feet of standing water, enough to submerge the exhaust, back off. If the driver had to absolutely go, get off the car walk the stretch and see if its really passable. Inconvenient, but necessary to ensure safety. A lot of these senseless deaths can be avoided by ensuring drivers have road sense. Cant go where you cant see - fog, rain, clogged water, etc. More so for cab drivers who spend most of their productive lives driving. They take way too much risk, with their lives and lives of passengers. We dont always fight these risky moves they indulge in, because its inconvenient.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 23rd May 2023 at 22:24.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post

So, I blame the tragedy mostly on the driver.
Somewhere I read that the occupants wanted to get out immediately after getting stuck but the driver insisted them to stick around.
Old 23rd May 2023, 22:41   #42
BANNED

I have been on that underpass many times, people mostly use it to avoid a signal which is above, both the road above and the underpass merge in the same road, it's very shocking to see this. Never expected to see water so high which led fo someone passing away.

The rains on 21st were horrible, my parents narrowly escaped hail by parking under a tree, as soon as the hail stopped they immediately went to a different parking spot as the tree was about to fall.
Old 24th May 2023, 00:36   #43
BHPian

I feel so sorry for this lady. Very unfortunate!

I have said this before and I am saying now, during the rainy seasons (especially in Bangalore), all offices should allow WFH for one month or so to everyone apart from compulsory staff. Schools should take classes online. Covid days have really shown us more ways to do our work. If we are not using that learning now then when?

Just imagine, if offices have asked most of the staff to WFH and schools online, how much traffic would have decongested and there would have been better routes for people who travel in the rain. In just a few days, schools will start. What is the government waiting for? I strongly appeal to make use of advanced technologies during uncertain conditions.

Although I didn't face this situation, there were many close encounters with my young kids during the rainy season. Today it's someone, tomorrow it's you or me. That's the reality.
Old 24th May 2023, 12:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
4. There are 2 counts why the Xylo driver got stuck -
  • A - The auto driver suddenly stopped after realizing the water is much deeper, there fore forcing the Xylo driver to stop
  • B - The Xylo driver was speeding a bit when he hit the water.
I am not sure which is true in this case, may be both or none
Read in the local newspaper (Kannada online) that the driver dint listen to the passengers and also few locals standing near by and insisted on driving through the under pass. Also when the car stalled and the occupants wanted to get out immediately, the driver asked them to stay in the car so that he can start the car and try to back up. This is what is stated in the FIR as well.

Regards
Old 24th May 2023, 15:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The only drainage possible in any underpass is to construct a couple of covered wells at the bottom most point into which the rainwater will go.
Underpass drainage and design guidelines are in place, but they are mostly ignored/not followed properly.

Quote:
All underpasses are required to follow the guidelines laid down by Indian Road Congress, informs Ashish Verma, associate professor of the department of civil engineering (transportation systems), Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc), but in reality they don’t. “The drainage plan, gradient and turning radius are all prescribed. Unfortunately, the guidelines are mostly not followed,” he says.
All underpasses are required to follow the guidelines laid down by Indian Road Congress, informs Ashish Verma, associate professor of the department of civil engineering (transportation systems), Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc), but in reality th...

https://www.deccanherald.com/metroli...p-1221425.html
trippytragopan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks