Fast & Furious (F&F) 26 5.84%
Careful and steady (C&S) 182 40.90%
Transformed from F&F to C&S 186 41.80%
Transformed from C&S to F&F 3 0.67%
None of the above (please explain in a post below) 48 10.79%
Voters: 445. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2023, 07:26   #91

Re: As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?

Neither F&F or C&S

In the city, I drive in a pretty relaxed manner, and its pretty mechanical. Even when the roads are empty, I don't cross 50KMPH. I don't find the need to, because you never know who will pop out from where, and the speed does not really make a difference on your travel time.
When it comes to highway driving, I prefer driving only in the night, because of the road is free of 2 wheelers, the autos and tractors, the over enthusiastic drivers. I Hit the road post 10 Pm and the roads remain like that almost until 7 Am. This way the stress levels are really low and without the sun glaring at you I feel little to no tiredness. These drives are pedal to metal, while I make sure I change lanes early and also use the maps on android auto to keep myself informed of the turns and bends ahead. I dont shy away from using the horn on overtakes. Another factor giving me the confidence is the car I drive which is mostly the EcoSport 1.5 Tdci, love the way it handles at high speeds.

Have driven over 15,000 KM just on the highways over the last two years, and multiple trips where I have been the only driver and driven over 1000 KM.
Combustion29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 09:13   #92
BHPian

Re: As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?

I used to drive fast but not rashly. However that has changed now, it’s careful and steady. I have been driving for close to 30 years now and there are several factors that have made me change my driving style. Firstly the kind of people we have on our roads who have absolutely zero civic sense and minus zero Road sense have increased triple fold. Although there are laws in place, who follows them I.e driving in no entry, double parking, no use of indicators, suddenly stopping etc. Whether it’s driving in ciy roads or on expressways it’s become highly stressful.
Another reason is the badly designed and badly maintained roads. These include potholes which I could swear have been there for more than 5 years. Then you have unmarked speed breakers, odd shaped speed breakers etc.
and to top all of this, you have our awesome pedestrians who walk in the middle of the road even where there are footpaths.
I could go on and on but these are the few reasons which make our roads so unpredictable to drive on.
raycers_honda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 10:53   #93
BHPian

I started off steady, and then went F&F with our WagonR pushing it to the hilt, zipping through city and highway roads alike (more Windows zip than 7zip though given WagonR inherent limitations). I always yearned for a higher powered car imagining how hard it can be pushed and how fast it can be driven
Strangely, since I have started driving our NLine, I have become very sedate much to the surprise of my family and friends. I have been urged to drive faster multiple times on the i20 (a "Could you drive any slower?" look has routinely been plastered on the face of whoever sits on the passenger side). Maybe there is too much on my mind these days? Maybe I have yet to come to grips with the car (only driven 6000 odd kms in a year and so)? My driving feels propelled more by muscle memory than conscious effort to calibrate speed to reach somewhere faster. Maybe, the meagre returns on fuel offered by i20 Turbo when accerelated has subconsciously moderated my driving style? Whatever it is, driving sedately is in its own way fun, especially in a car that you know has power on tap available to drive faster when needed.
anandmv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 11:03   #94
BHPian

I voted for none of the above.

I used to be a fast and furious (F&F) driver during my initial driving days more than half a century ago but I was able to control my aggression a lot with Yoga (link below).

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...er-driver.html (Yoga helped me become a better driver)

I had turned into a careful and steady (C&S) driver since then with no issues till I had to give up my driving license due to eyesight issues more than a decade ago.

However, now I have turned back into a F&F driver without any fear of any consequences because all of my driving is now on my personal computer. Apparently, I have an insatiable "Need for Speed" which no amount of "Roadrash"ing can fulfill no matter how much I drive on "Asphalt" with "The Crew" and I always go "Forza" win in "Gran Turismo" even though committing some "Grand Theft Auto" seems appetizing

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 20th May 2023 at 11:10.
Chhanda Das is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 13:24   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovins2004 View Post
I fall under C&S category, but I get easily instigated when someone cut’s me off or flash light irrationally, which transforms me into F&F mode however I’ll roll back immediately. To be honest, I’m still struggling to get over this behavior but improving.
Yeah it's better you don't react to such idiots on roads as they come in all sizes and shape. I too was reactive in the past but over time, have learned to enjoy sedate drives with music and fun conversations.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 08:28   #96
BHPian

Personally, I believe there is no allowance for any driving style other than careful and sedate in our country! Even if it is an expressway or the road is perceivably empty, it is likely to change in a matter of seconds because of errant humans or animals. I have seen too many expert drivers have accidents for no fault of theirs other than the fact that they were traveling faster than their reaction times would allow them to react to the emergent situation. We have too many people with poor road manners and poorer enforcement and infrastructure to allow for enthusiastic driving!
Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 09:12   #97
BHPian

Personally, My driving style depending on the road and traffic conditions. I won't classify myself as a "slow" driver.

My driving style also depends on the kind of road/highway I am driving on. My driving speeds would usually look like this (considering ideal conditions - clear weather, less traffic etc.):

4-lane city road: 40-50 km/hr
6-lane city road: 50-60 km/hr

2-lane highway: 60-70 km/hr
4-lane highway: 80-90 km/hr (upto maximum 100 km/hr if there is almost no traffic, like in a very early morning drive)
6-lane highway: 90-110 km/hr

All these driving speeds are under permissible speed limits on the roads that I have mostly driven on. These may vary with the road condition, prevailing traffic, or even weather conditions.

The maximum speed I have achieved as the driver is 120 km/hr (in my Volkswagen Polo 1.0 TSI MT) - where this was the permissible speed limit.

It also depends on the car. For less powerful cars, I don't like the engine to exceed 3000 rpm on the highway. With my Polo, I knew that the engine had some more to give, but the feeling of the engine running silky smooth when you are at a constant (permissible) speed is beautiful.

Driving slow in a straight line doesn't mean you are boring. Because my fun from driving is derived on the twisty, switchback roads, where you can experience the handling and balance of the car, where you are actually involved in the drive. Plus, I have owned only manual cars, which increases driving involvement even further.

Last edited by Siddy_1998 : 22nd May 2023 at 09:37.
Siddy_1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2023, 11:03   #98
BHPian

I have a rather unique take with a mix of FnF & CnS, somewhat similar to what GTO explained. While I only have 7 years of driving experience and I haven't really driven a wide variety of cars, this is my usual pattern:

- start out C&S. This keeps the mind calm and adds to FE
- Generally switch to slight rash driving when nagging buses, autos or taxis keep honking/ zigzaging in moderate traffic.
- A little redlining when the road opens up after a crowded area.
- F&F on the last leg of the return journey.
- Always keep within the limits of the car and environment. Even on very open highways, I try not to go beyond the 120-130 kph and generally maintain 110.

Strangely, I have become a more sedate driver in the past couple years despite my age. I attribute this to increasing fuel prices, more vehicles on the road and my mom asking me to drive slower. Traffic regulations too have played their part.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2023, 22:36   #99
BHPian

I used to have a fondness for driving my WagonR at high speeds, even though it lacked essential safety features like ABS, airbags, and lots of body roll. However, as I spent more time behind the wheels and started getting gray hairs, I began to realize the importance of responsible driving. Thanks to the guidance and advice from experienced friends and the valuable insights shared on Team-BHP forums, I embarked on a journey of transformation.

After careful considerations, I made the decision to switch to a Tata Nexon for its safety rating and sturdy build qulity. This choice provided me with a safer and more secure driving experience, ensuring that I prioritize the well-being of myself and others on the road.

Gradually, I started embracing the concept of driving at more moderate speeds. Instead of rushing to reach my destination, I found that cruising at speeds around 100 km/h allowed for a smoother and more controlled driving experience. Surprisingly, I noticed that experienced drivers who adhered to this approach still managed to arrive at their destinations within a similar timeframe. This revelation helped me shed my ego and recognize the benefits of a risk-free and relaxed driving style.

In addition to adjusting my speed, I also strive to go unnoticed while driving, minimizing unnecessary honking and maintaining a cautious approach when overtaking other vehicles. I have become more aware of the judicious use of my brakes, aiming to utilize them sparingly. Instead, I have learned to ease off the gas pedal and allow the car's natural deceleration to slow down, not only improving the smoothness of my driving but also contributing to fuel conservation.

Furthermore, the significance of choosing toll lanes wisely matters too, Mostly I choose the right ones and sometimes I falter and end up in the slowest lane��.

As we gradually age, one thing has become clear to me: safety and wise choices on the road matter greatly. By being more responsible, conscious, and considerate drivers, we can contribute to a safer and more harmonious driving environment for ourselves and others.
Bala02 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 09:22   #100
BHPian

After escaping a life threatening accident 8 years back, I switched myself to 'enjoy the music while drive' style. Now I drive at 70-80 kmph. It gives me more time to stay in car while listening to my favourite music.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 06:02   #101
BANNED

I rarely exceed speed limits, only except briefly to overtake very slowly moving vehicle.
Perfect speed spot for highway driving on 2 lane highway is around 70 kmph, on four lane highway is around 80 kmph,drive would be relaxed. As mentioned above when engine is low reviving (NA Mpfi), it is sweet sounding note at above speeds at overdrive gearing. Also I use the concept of modulating my accelerator pedal and downshift my gear to reduce my speed. I Also use AC extensively when coming down the slope to add additional engine retardation , to reduce the use of friction braking.
End result is drive nirvana and excellent fuel economy.
navrddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 07:55   #102
BHPian

I voted none of the above.

When anybody asks about what they think is their driving style, whatever be the individual’s answer, they try to justify it as correct but when you dig deeper to the roots as quoted by grand father UG

“Human thinking is born out of this neurological defect in the human species. Anything that is born out of human thinking is destructive. Thought is destructive. Thought is a protective mechanism. It draws frontiers around itself, and it wants to protect itself - UG”

Apart from philosophy, my thoughts on the subject is that it is a combination of man, machine, road which decide the driving style.
The road plays the most important part, next comes the man and third is the machine. If the roads and railway tracks are laid in such a way that you can only negotiate safely in a curve if your speed is a minimum 140 kmph, what do you do? Similarly, if you try to negotiate a curve not scientifically aligned due to various reason of real estate etc, any travel above 100 kmph will throw you out of the road tangentially.

I have driven from coast to coast in USA and came across certain straight stretches of hundreds of kilometres especially in Texas with no human any where around, I better be alert that I donot fall into sleep and hence would try to be aggressive in driving and force myself to have fun and not sleep.
In other situations of my long drives in India, I get sometimes bored with monotony and wish that some guy overtakes me and challenges me. In one such situation that happened , one BMW car overtook me just before krishnagirl on Bangalore to Chennai highway. I started chasing him and forgot that I need to take a left turn at krishnagiri to go to chennai. When I realised what is happening, I was already in Salem and had to take a U turn after paying unnecessary toll. Sometimes human thinking becomes very tricky. On another occasion, one alto car overtook me with a high speed and to tell you frankly , I could not keep up with him as I am driving a high CG vehicle Scorpio and have to be careful around curves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks