Careful and steady (C&S) 182 40.90%
Transformed from F&F to C&S 186 41.80%
Transformed from C&S to F&F 3 0.67%
None of the above (please explain in a post below) 48 10.79%
Voters: 445. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2023, 15:41   #61
BHPian

Re: As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?

Always been the cautious and steady type. Never really drove fast whether the roads were well-known/good. On the highways I don't go past 110-120. This is because of the advice my friend gave me, "Only drive fast if you truly believe you are in control of the situation" and well I don't want to take my chances and always want to reach my destination safely and calmly.
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 15:50   #62
BHPian

Re: As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?

I admit to still being fast&furious types but I have toned down a lot in the last few months.

Main reason is, I bought a new car and a tipper crashed into me, a month later. In hindsight, I could have avoided it. We were merging into a single road from different directions and I overtook him and stopped (due to traffic), and I could see helplessly in my ORVM, that he did not apply breaks and crashed into me - deliberately. The damage was not a lot, and his owner paid me compensation (since he crashed from behind and I called the cops on him). But the vehicle stayed in SS for 12 days and that hurt a lot. I realized I cant assume the other vehicle will always stop and while it is their fault, if something happens, I have to still deal with the repercussions.

These days I am a lot more careful and overtake after evaluating carefully and with an option to back out, if needed. I only drive at a maximum of 110-120 on highways, especially when family is around.

I do get irritated and get the urge to overtake a vehicle that just overtook me needlessly (even though I was already at a good speed), but wife knows this mentality and starts taunting me, and calls me out, even when I am still contemplating how to teach the guy a lesson. So, to prove her wrong, I end up letting it go. LOL.
Zippy_wheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 15:50   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Just to clarify a couple of points:

- C&S (careful & steady) does not mean slow, but it involves minimising both risks to self and other road users, as well as traffic rule violations. So fast & steady is part of C&S, and driving at 40kmph on a 100kmph expressway is sheer risky and callous driving.

- F&F (fast & furious) involves driving in a risky fashion, not following traffic rules and speed limits, provoking and being provoked to road rage incidents (even if it is simply a pedestrian swearing at you), and the occasional dent / scratch that you pick up on your car.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 18th May 2023 at 15:52.
SS-Traveller is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 16:22   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Answered none of the above as despite my age, the youth in me is invoked and awakened whenever I am in such a mood. I have always changed my driving style even in my teens or twenties, metamorphosing as a matured, slow and steady driver only when the traffic situation demanded and its still the same. Otherwise, on open roads who prevents a driver from some fun driving as long as SAFETY is on the mind.

For instance, my 33 year old RX 100 is still almost new and it most likely yells and groans at me to drive it like I did in 1990/91. So when I see an open road with sparse traffic, I have the best of times with this iconic machine.

My 1987 Maruti 800 is fit and running. It perhaps remembers how I honked and rashly overtook Ambassadors and Padminis by the dozens. Peppy it still is, but today most other cars are able to overtake it. But I show my driver's nerves with its gas pedal, when I usually find some Tata Ace or some elderly person ahead of me moving slowly, steadily and carefully. I overtake such CV's/ cars fast, unsteadily but carefully.

My 1955 Landmaster drives too well but with its side valve engine is not so peppy. I try not to stretch it to the limits as any mechanical failure can ground the car till I get its spares that have to be imported from the UK at times. But can draw solace from the fact that this gem of a car in 1956 did 772 miles from Delhi to Kolkata non stop for 25 hours, beating 77 cars of 18 makes.

As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?-fb_img_1684407864850.jpg

My Scorpio is very peppy and has a great connect with me on the driver's seat. It responds to my driving style always very well. Its gigantic size prevents me from doing many manoeuvres that can otherwise be done with smaller cars. Hence, I have to be careful and steady with it.

One need not transform himself into a fast and furious or into a slow, steady and boring driver with a changed mindset or due to advancing age. All permutations and combinations of driving styles should work, with SAFETY as the watchword. After all, our machines though inanimate have some heart and soul within. These too deserve some highs and lows from their driver else they will yell and groan.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th May 2023 at 16:45.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 16:25   #65
BHPian

Was fast but not furious. Ride also mattered. The GETZ D was a fire and forget missile, absolutely uncontrollable at speeds above 100/110. But except for the occasional truck or taxi cutting across nothing crazy has prompted me to reconsider my driving style. But what prompted a slight change is the sheer number of Youtube videos watched, on crazy road accidents and the Jetta TDI. I almost instantly picturize an accident to happen like in some videos and be cautious but when required I can always summon the scandalous horses under the hood to tackle any situation and the stopping power when compared to the GETZ is also a boost.
AJITHAAA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 16:34   #66
BHPian

Voted - Transformed from F&F to C&S

Be it riding or driving, I can sense how much I have matured in last 20 years. Started learning bike riding in a 180cc Bajaj Chetak in my neighborhood and my father taught me lane discipline and linear acceleration in his humble TVS XL 100 in public roads during LLR period. After buying my 1st bike, the speed I did in Mumbai - Pune highways and other roads are crazy. I didn’t understood the risk which I have taken along with a pillion during those wonderful ghat rides in monsoon season. Adrenaline rush to overtake the vehicles in front of me was the reason behind such maneuvers. I had my share of accidents in bike and all luckily happened less than 20kms speed due to skidding in different conditions. The same style continues in my early years of car driving. However after driving and driven around in Europe, my driving style changed in last 6 years. No tight overtakes, respecting other vehicles, using the correct lane, etc.
Nowadays if I see someone drives aggressively, I just think either you are going to wait in next traffic light or toll both or at a max reach the destination 5-10 mins before.
Kashief is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 16:54   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

I classify myself as C & S & F.

Careful & Steady & Fast, but never Furious

Infact, if one has to be alive driving consistently fast, he/she needs to be extremely Careful & Steady. I drive a lot and encounter so many idiots on roads. So there is no compromise with the C & S part. If the traffic allows, I always drive fast. If the traffic / road conditions mean that I cannot be C & S and Fast, I drive sedate. Simple.

I have been/ still get F & F mode in 2 wheelers. I just don't have the self control to not W.O.T and redline motorcycles no matter where I ride. That is the reason why i got rid of them.

Over decades of driving cars (20 years, over 7 lakh km), I have had 0 accidents, not even minor scrapes & I have had 2 near fatal motorcycle crashes(17 years, 2 lakh km). This is the contrasting effect of being furious on road

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 18th May 2023 at 17:07.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 17:06   #68
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'None of the above'

I drive fast when I can but never furious. With time, I have developed more patience in not letting myself get hassled by the rule breakers, line cutters, etc.

Have had my fair share of fun with high speeds, but would not call them 'furious'. I would not do that now, but even back then it was always within the limit and I didn't really do anything stupid.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 18:24   #69
BHPian

Answered NOTA.

I'm not a slow driver most of the times - I will always overtake road slugs - but neither do I put my family at risk. I never was the F&F type tbh even after I got my license at 18. The only time I am a slow driver is when I drive my Tiago, because it's not a car meant to be ringed to the redline, it's a safe little city car with an average engine. It's a different matter when I drive my Figo though
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 19:12   #70
BHPian

I drive a Vento Tdi. And my driving style is a little bit of Jekyll and Hyde! I can be extremely calm and serene one moment and absolutely furious (not proud of it) in others. Interestingly India is the only place where I drive angry. Whenever I drive abroad it’s always safe and careful, more importantly respectful. But here it just brings out the worst in me far too often :(
Annibaddh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 19:45   #71
BHPian

Well! I am not calm nor furious but i drive in a calm manner most of the times. I don't mind people overtaking me, ego doesn't show up but but but sometimes just sometimes when the engine and transmission sync and gives you that amazing feel , like when you start feeling the entire machine beautifully responding, i just let it out. That is the moment I am very sure that nothing is gonna go wrong. We are in sync. (Talking about manual. In AT, i feel that way only with DSG , the rest just doesn't make me feel anything so i just drive sedately, always!)

Oh damn! Now I wanna go for a drive.
NJ_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 20:28   #72
BHPian

Always Careful and Steady, never Fast and Furious as it ruins the whole drive and the mood.

The more I drive in city traffic and our highway traffic, the more religiously I practice careful and steady.
no_boundaries is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 20:32   #73
Senior - BHPian

Voted for transformed from F&F to C&S

Among the reasons I can think of for the former state, arcade games of racing and trying out redlining and quick shifting in humdrum cars (Indica petrol). Subsequently I was living my dream in a GT TSI which responded to my fantasies but I was also sharing my life with a special person who was prone to car sickness. So I gradually transformed into C&S with the occasional hill climb where I was pardoned at times.

Life changing years later followed by a 2.0 TSI machine, I have absolutely no reason to push hard, not for progress, nor for thrills. Now it C&S all the way imagining a glass of water on the dash to not spill, the reward being witnessing senior citizen co-passengers blissfully asleep in their seats
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 20:44   #74
BHPian

Voted for C&S ( Careful and Steady). Ever since I donned the family man avatar, safe and reassuring drive has been my number one priority, the reason why we even picked up the Volvo and recently the Kodiaq. I am some one who like spirited and effortless acceleration but once I am past the dense highway traffic, I prefer cruising all day and only when I am in the mood, I try and have some fun but that too only when I am confident about clear conditions. I religiously do the following when driving in any part of the country.

1. Stick to the middle lane and avoid the right most lane as much as possible. We all know how stray cattle can surprise you.

2. Never drive on High Beams at night and only use the stalk to bring high beams when passing junctions on highways. You know those notorious bikers carelessly crossing can give you the jolt, so I proactively watch out for them from a distance and I also consciously watch out for jaywalkers on the sides in high ways.

3. Rarely honk when overtaking and only flash high beam to let know of passing. Most sensible drivers give way and there is no need to honk on highways like some

4. Keep an eye on the speedo and get me back to full sense whenever adrenaline kicks in beyond 120+ speeds. I remind myself that those are no safe speeds no matter how capable the car is.

5. Never give in to bully drivers, boy racers in their Altos, Swifts, Cretas and what not who try to massage their egos on you. ( No offence to any of these owners)

6. Simply give way to those arrogant Innova and Fortuner drivers who think they drive the most superior vehicles. Most of them are a menace especially at night where they blare their high beams at you constantly from behind and honk so they can retain their road supremacy. They are simply not worth the fight.

7. Take sufficient breaks and never ever finish the drive in single stretches. Our typical Chennai - Coimbatore runs have a at least 2 - 3 mini breaks.

8. Cautious about pot holes as we have had two incidents of tyre burst in our Volvo late in the night. So whenever I see a section of potholes, I slow down considerably to ensure peace of mind.

9. Only drive after a good meal, be it breakfast or lunch. I never drive when I am hungry as it doesnt bode well for long distance journeys.

10. Play good music through the entirely of drive and its a must for me. This would let me ignore any ruckus created by idiots on the road.
vjbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 21:54   #75
BHPian

I fall under C&S category, but I get easily instigated when someone cut’s me off or flash light irrationally, which transforms me into F&F mode however I’ll roll back immediately. To be honest, I’m still struggling to get over this behavior but improving.
glovins2004 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed