Careful and steady (C&S) 182 40.90%
Transformed from F&F to C&S 186 41.80%
Transformed from C&S to F&F 3 0.67%
None of the above (please explain in a post below) 48 10.79%
Voters: 445. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2023, 12:26   #46
BHPian

Re: As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?

Voted for F & F to C & S

In my younger days, I was a lot more enthusiastic and used to drive fast, at times furiously. Had 1-2 minor dings due to my fault, but no major accidents.

When we had children, the concept of child seat / seat belts were literally non-existent. However, whenever we had children in our car, the careful & steady crept in gradually and only grew in intensity. Frequent trips to the US taught us a lot - we mandated seat belts (as cars had started coming with seat belts by mid 90's).

As time passed, car upgrades happened. From a Premier Padmini/Maruti 800 to Maruti Esteem/Maruti Zen, then Mitsubishi Lancer/Fiat Sienna, VW Passat/VW Polo and to BMW 520d/Ecosport/Jazz. With every upgrade, I started becoming more & more careful and steady as I hate to see my car bashed up. Repairs costs increase exponentially with increased in the price of cars.

Now with my grandson in his car seat, I drive very gingerly. No hard acceleration/braking and speeds are moderate. I sub-consciously use maximum anticipation to drive and try not to take even 0.5% chance.

Once in a while, when I am alone and in the Ecosport, I drive a bit aggressive with hard acceleration / braking, though still very safe and careful. However, when I am in the BMW, it's C & S all the way.

Whether in the city or on the highway, I stick to the designated speed limit. Have paid 2 speeding fines. Ignored one and nearly had my license suspended for 3 months and that too a month before my daughters wedding. Pleaded with the guy and told him that I am a senior citizen. He told me that if I am a senior citizen, I should not be speeding. Waited for 2 hours till he had pity on me and returned my license.
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:42   #47
BHPian

Re: As a driver, have you changed from enthusiastic & risky to boring & safe? Why?

I wouldn't say my driving style is sedate and steady entirely but is more situational.

1) Vacation drives with Family/Friends
The intent during these drives is more to unwind and relax with no real time constraints. Hence, I keep it steady and stress free. No driving hard or getting involved in street racing.

2) Driving within the city
Potholes, bad roads, traffic snarls, erratic drivers and what not. Do I wanna add more to the already long list? Not really. If reaching my destination is on the clock, I would rather leave early, have my favourite music playing and reach my point B fresh and smiling than be a grumpy person.

3) Your automobile will love you even more
Driving at consistent speeds, steady on the A pedal, reduced usage of B & C will only result in better fuel efficiency, less stress on the engine, less fatigue and an improved drive experience. There are cars/bikes primarily designed to be driven hard but most of them are designed to be unleashed on track days.

In short, I prefer soaking in the experience during the drive, setting the right example to the kids while driving and reach the destination with a bright smile and oodles of energy to continue with my day. I would prefer a hot cup of coffee to smell the fragrant aroma than use it as an anti-stress beverage.

Drive safe, keep smiling
Atom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:50   #48
BHPian

Luckily for me, I never had the F&F urge (apart from a few college day excursions). I am a firm believer of better late then sorry and the current crop of expressways and the maniacs driving on it have further cemented it. After becoming a father and driving with my daughter on board, I am happy driving as sedately as possible.
TheBigV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:56   #49
BHPian

Option selected: Transformed from F&F to C&S

There are several stages a person goes through when he/she starts driving, matures at a later stage. There are also lots of differences between for example driving in India and driving in a foreign country for r example the US.
I started as a F&F driver for the very reason that driving came to me naturally. I beat every single peer in terms of learning, manuvering, handling, parking, all terrains and any possible challenges the road and situations three at me.
The over confidence went in my head and I got hot headed.
This changed when I came back to India. The onslaught of wayward, rule breaking slobs made me realise that I cannot get burned out for the sake of dumbos.
Family was another reason.
However when I get a chance to drive hard and fast in a safe country I do it. Just that it is not like the thirties now.

If someone is looking for a barometer to remain cool while driving in India then I can be of help.
Set the AC to “not cold, just right” when you start from home. If you start feeling hot within 5 minutes on road then you are not doing it right.
Cool down. Let the crazies go past you, ignore the wrong side overtake, ignore the needless honking from behind. Focus on driving safe. Nothing is more worth than a safe ride and getting back home without incident.
RunGaDa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

I do drive fast, not reckless occasionally. However the rising fuel costs and poor fuel efficiency of modern cars have increased the cost of driving beyond the rise of my income.

Most of the times I drive steadily and build up speed gradually. And almost never use the brakes except for stopping.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:32   #51
BHPian

Voted for C&S

I enjoy having some high speed runs on empty stretch of roads, with a lot of luck of course, other than that I am compelled to be a careful and steady driver.

This is mostly because of the risk, factors like lack of skill/training, no access to powerful/race machines, and the environment, bring in to the equation.
Fan@Automotive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:38   #52
BHPian

Voted for "None of the above"

Depends on the situation, time of the day, light conditions, traffic and how I feel

Here are some of my own examples:

Default Mode
Most of the time it is pacing with the traffic. If more than one vehicle have a similar average and pattern, I try to fit in. Resulted in smooth sailing over a course of 15-20 km:

Assault Mode
This is the "fun" setting. Nothing too dangerous and overtakes are still well-calculated and have a margin if something goes wrong or a two wheeler acts like a two wheeler:

Scout Mode
This is when I am looking for something, a location, a parking sport or just that the weather/time/situation requires heightened senses. Here, I turn down the music to "see" better:

Virtual Mode
I am unhinged but sometimes like to drive slow and soak up the scenery. This is one example. Listening to Coco and Botan while relaxing and putting the foot down once in a while (driving starts at 0:37):

Always being fixated on a particular style of driving becomes suffocating very fast (see what I did there?). Nice to mix things up.
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

There is a thin line between a fast driver and a Rash driver. In my younger days I used to be a very fast driver but never Rash. Was always wary of my surroundings.

Now in my middle age I am still fast at times when I see open roads but I have become extra careful when traffic is around. A large part has been played by our Accidents in India thread which shows so many bizzare unexpected Accidents even when you aren't at fault.

I hate Speed cams strategically placed just to mint revenue for govt. But in NCR and especially Delhi they have helped in reigning in the Rash drivers who believe Delhi roads are a race track.

Just yesterday I read a quote 'Most people don't realize what a Blessing it is to leave your home in the Morning and returning safe in the Night'.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 13:58   #54
Team-BHP Support

I drive steady now, consistent. I don't take much stops and prefer to stop only for bio & fuel breaks.

Reason to drive in an aware manner is -

Once you are involved in a shunt, your car (if you are driving yours) is no longer OE, it will go to a garage (factor in time lost, plus, patience to deal with the mechanics etc) and it may never feel the same again. God forbid, if it's someone else's ride, you may forever be in guilt, plus, the pressure to get the ride in top shape is entirely your responsibility.

If you hit a pole / tree etc, it's still okay, imagine hitting a person or another car. Police, FIR...these are unnecessary and a huge deterrent.

We have to understand that in India, we have to share the road with everyone, even cattle and dogs and they can dart away from one lane to another at their whim. Plus, wrong lane riders / drivers and the local populace who think they own some section and turn-in / out / merge without even looking is too unpredictable in nature, hence better to be safe than sorry.

Do sometimes have my share of fun, but only when I can see through the road (both ways) and there is zero traffic.

P.S. - I stay at a small place and speed cameras (thankfully) haven't reached here yet . But ya, when ever I go out, I am just too cautious which hampers even normal driving.

Last edited by Sheel : 18th May 2023 at 16:10.
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 14:11   #55
BHPian

During the same trip (whether in the city or on highways), I drive both fast and sedate. None of my two journeys are the same. If I drive sedately for too long, I get the urge to push it on empty stretches. In my car the speed alarm becomes continuous at 120 and for me that is the limit too, although I drive below 100 most of the time on highways.

Over the years, with faster and better handling cars, I have noticed that the confidence level of people has gone up dangerously high. Most of them are trusting their abilities or their car's, both of which can come undone any time. My driving nowadays is dictated as much by what others are doing on the road as much as what I want to do. I can safely say that not only my life is in my hands, but that of many others who would be in serious trouble if everyone started driving the way they do.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 14:40   #56
BHPian

We should have a category "Fly like a butterfly; sting like a bee"

Atleast, that is how I deal with overtaking opportunities!

I am careful and steady by nature and it reflects in my driving as well. I like to ease and settle down behind the wheels with some good music and mentally prepared for a long haul, especially during office hours in NCR. Dricving in NCR is stressful and hence I make it a point to relax myself.
However, I am no push-over, and like to plan my overtakes and dashes; and I take my chance when I get them.
I am not a maniac who will be doing 3 digits whenever they get the chance, but I am someone who will always drive at the upper permissible speed limit in crawling traffic!!

Last edited by amitayu : 18th May 2023 at 14:42.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 14:54   #57
BHPian

Have voted for "careful and steady".

I think I have always very cautious and avoid quick acceleration and sudden braking. Especially on highways and long distance drives, I make it a point to drive in an even speed throughout so that my passengers are comfortable and demand too many stops. I take a speed above 100 kmph too, but when it comes naturally and gradually, on open straight highway roads. I like powerful engines though, I use it for cruising without engine having to struggle at high rpms. I keep time, especially some buffer time, when I drive long distances, so that there is no pressure on me. When other vehicles overtake me, I don't care. I see many of them overtaking me again and again and not really making any headway. One can be enthusiastic in this way of driving too, I believe.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 14:57   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I enjoy driving and even in a tractor it was nice to know that it had an accelerator for - Speed!

I like speed, I like to reach places fast and spend time there rather than on the road, many of them are now becoming huge featureless highways, less time you spend on them, the better.

Fast and consistent is more like it, furious cannot be sustained over long distances.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 15:00   #59
BHPian

It will be "Careful and steady (C&S)".
Like mentioned before in this thread, it became more calculated.
I will drive fast sometimes based on calculated approach.
No Ego when someone overtakes me.
Calculated braking helps the car too.
Now, family is more relaxed and not tired during my driving.
KeepReading is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 15:07   #60
BHPian

Voted NOTA.

I enjoy my driving immensely, whether on a twisty ghat road or six-laned highways or even bumper-to-bumper traffic (I realised I prefer driving rather than just sitting idle in such a situation).

I'm certainly a fast driver, but rarely have I been called out for rash driving. I drive as fast as the road / traffic allows.

I like to keep enough margin for error (& this margin has only increased since my daughter's birth) and make sure that the driving is smooth enough to allow my passengers to continue sleeping. (That allows me to play music of my choice and not submit to the demands of 6 others).

No sudden movements, no hard braking. I try to minimise my usage of brakes, trying to anticipate others' actions on the road. If someone else is in a hurry, I give them way and then follow them at a safe distance. This way, I can easily identify the road surface ahead and smoothen my drive, while maintaining a decent speed. That "pilot" does all the honking, braking, swerving and I smoothly close the gap once he moves past whatever was blocking his way.

I don't have a set speed that I won't cross. It's just that speed that the traffic generally seems to be moving at. I won't race signal to signal, I'd rather figure out the "timing" of the signals and match my pace ( ex. Anna Salai, Chennai is timed for 40kmph. Just time one signal for green, and one can smoothly coast their way until the other end, if it's not peak traffic hours).

I enjoy acceleration, so I will pull out from a toll booth quickly, unless folks are asleep. But when I reach that "speed of the road", I'll settle down and take it easy. To explain this, consider TN. From Chengalpattu (Paranur toll) till Trichy, one can probably consider 80~90kmph appropriate, not much is to be gained going faster than that. Between Trichy and Madurai, that same speed climbs up to ~100kmph. Madurai to Tirunelveli stretch can be easy 120~140kmph, with sparse traffic and great visibility on all sides.

So yeah, as fast as I can, while prioritising a safe and smooth drive/ride, which may influence it to become as slow as the need may be.
KSTejaswi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks