Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2023, 10:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips

Might be conjecture but I associate awareness with generations of driving and car ownership. The developed West went through a phase where automotive safety was viewed with suspicion and what not (probably back in the 60s!) and the concept of children securely tethered was non-existent. If (proper) use of seatbelts, helmets and child seats are such a hard sell in India, then it only shows the immaturity of the car owners at large

A generational shift is the only hope to erase prejudices
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 11:08   #17
BHPian

A good rule. Though available from car spare stores, if the easy accessibility from e-commerce is cut off it will deter atleast 10% of the people who had already made their mind to buy such products. Something is better than nothing. I think awareness about seatbelt should be thought in school and a rule should be made stating it’s mandatory for school bus to make students wear seatbelt so it becomes a muscle memory right from childhood.
Old 15th May 2023, 12:14   #18
BHPian

I was expecting to see the sales of these items going on fire ��once the fronx hit the streets.

When Maruti skimmed the weight sensor and asked to keep the belts clipped all times, these would have been the savior.

And then there are ones like these which does both the functions. No guarantee on the quality though.
Attached Thumbnails
Government order against selling Seatbelt alarm stopper clips-2pcsuniversalcarseatbeltsdl99470112317dc35.jpg  

Old 15th May 2023, 12:19   #19
BHPian

I only recently learned about these things and I was mortified. I’d borrowed my father in laws Innova for an airport run and when I went to put on the seatbelt it didn’t go in. Noticed the seat belt clip and was infuriated.

Told my wife and she was infuriated as well. She took them out and immediately hid them away so that her family wouldn’t use it again. I wonder if they ever found it or bought new ones.

However, my first thought after I realized what those were, was… how is this legal? I was so infuriated that these even existed. Those who manufacture these have absolutely no soul and are the worst. If it was a perfect world I would have love to have seen these seat belt clip manufacturers being held liable for every death that occurs because of their stupid product. Alas, we don’t live in a perfect world and as most stated… people will get around this one way or the other if they don’t want to wear seat belts.
AnkitHJain7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 12:54   #20
BHPian

Unfortunately This will not work, people will find some other options. The fact that this product exists in the market shows our societal approach towards safety. Then we wonder why Hyundai & Suzuki continue to rule the roost with their lackadaisical attitude towards safety.

The only thing that will work are heavy fines, fine the driver 1k for passengers without seatbelts that way even the bribe would be heavy enough to hurt.
Bhodrolok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 13:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodrolok View Post
Unfortunately This will not work, people will find some other options.
Since you are from Bangalore you would have seen the alternative already (in the million call center cabs and Ola taxis). People buckle the seat belts in place all the time even if the seat is not occupied. They just hop into the seats and yank the 'across-chest' part of the belt and make it look like they are using the seat belt. This does fool the cop but not useful in accidents. The person would slide down and snap his neck instantly in the belt.
Old 15th May 2023, 13:18   #22

It is difficult for the cops to actually see into the car to check whether the occupant is belted or not, while a car is on the move. Nor can the camera's spot this as the belts are invariably black or blends with the background. Maybe a better way to ensure wearing of seat belt would be to mandate that seat belts be made out of reflective or bright colours so that it can be seen from afar. Aesthetics will take a hit though :P
Old 15th May 2023, 16:19   #23
BHPian

The way insurance is denied for drunk driving similarly, insurance claims and life insurance claims should be denied for driving without seatbelts. Let there be a mandatory internal dash cam to prove it.
bravo82in is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 17:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
I was expecting to see the sales of these items going on fire ��once the fronx hit the streets.
The Fronx was my first though upon reading this news, but its seems you have beaten me to the punch

I expected Maruti to give these alarm stopper clips as dealer accessories with new the Fronx, but I guess that won't be allowed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitHJain7 View Post
However, my first thought after I realized what those were, was… how is this legal? I was so infuriated that these even existed. Those who manufacture these have absolutely no soul and are the worst. If it was a perfect world I would have love to have seen these seat belt clip manufacturers being held liable for every death that occurs because of their stupid product.
Strong disagree. People should be liable for their own actions. One cannot blame the manufacturers of these products. No one is forcing customers to buy and use them.

My apologies because this is rude of me to say, but in your story, it seems that instead of holding your family members responsible, you are deflecting the blame on 3rd parties instead.

These manufacturers may have no souls, but their customers have no brains.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 15th May 2023 at 17:17.
kadanaJ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 19:03   #25
BHPian

I am in favour of this order by the Centre. Truthfully speaking, I was mortified hearing such a thing exists. Here the biggest losers are the consumers in my frank opinion

Even when I was a kid, my father and mother have enforced a strict seat belt rule on our car(no seat belt, stay at home). Because of this, wearing seat belts have become second nature. I think all parents should enforce this rule in the family so that their kids can follow for their safety till this process becomes ingrained into their brain. Same goes for pillion helmet in scooters.

Also basic vehicular safety should be taught in schools. Like not too deep like structure of vehicle but basics like seatbelts, helmets, non-overcrowding in buses, proper rest when driving for long distances etc
ergon_9700 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 20:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

This is a very good ruling, in fact they should ask all top government officials including Ministers and Top Beurocrats to set precedence in wearing seat belts all the time. Irrespective of they are seated in front or rear seats.
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 20:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

While this is good, there are still some geniuses who lock the clip with the seat-belt and then sit ON the belts, so the alarm doesn't go off, but people are not buckled up either.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 22:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
The way insurance is denied for drunk driving similarly, insurance claims and life insurance claims should be denied for driving without seatbelts. Let there be a mandatory internal dash cam to prove it.
This rule already there in your insurance certificate. Under negligence or improper care in rules mentioned in bond. It's just that people don't care. When something happens we can always talk to our agent.
Fact is insurance company can reject your claim on grounds of not taking proper safety measure. Everything is there in terms and conditions but are never told to us. Do you you can get expelled from a college just on the basis of your attendance? It's in prospectus of almost all colleges.
Clown Prince is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2023, 00:20   #29
BHPian

People are really ignorant and they don't know the consequences of an airbag openings directly on their face, or rather smashing their face in an emergency. This is a great step to curb ignorance, but people will still find ways to buy these clips nevertheless.
Old 16th May 2023, 10:10   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a very good ruling, in fact they should ask all top government officials including Ministers and Top Beurocrats to set precedence in wearing seat belts all the time. Irrespective of they are seated in front or rear seats.
True. They can actually inspire people to wear seat belts. For election rally in their cars they wave their hands to greet the voters even though vehicle may be slow but it should be a good practice to enforce this rule.
ergon_9700 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks