Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2023, 02:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz: Rear seatbelt buckle comes off in 4 pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I don't think Gncap checks for the strength and durability of seatbelts
So, what is being used to restrain the crash test dummies?

Anyway, this seems like a manufacturing defect. There should be a marking somewhere on the seatbelt/buckle to indicate the exact batch where this defective one came from. Hopefully there's a recall soon to fix the other buckles from the same batch.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 09:09   #17

Honda North America recently released recall for a seatbelt issue, I faced it first hand on my 2019 Acura couple of years ago where the passenger seatbelt would just unbuckled itself, the difference though is how seriously the dealership took the issue and promptly replaced it. Hope Tata takes this seriously and investigates for potential manufacturing batch issues.
Old 22nd April 2023, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdwitter View Post
Honda North America recently released recall for a seatbelt issue, I faced it first hand on my 2019 Acura couple of years ago where the passenger seatbelt would just unbuckled itself, the difference though is how seriously the dealership took the issue and promptly replaced it. Hope Tata takes this seriously and investigates for potential manufacturing batch issues.
OMG! that is a serious issue from Honda USA, good they rectified it quickly

To their credit, Tata Motors and their dealership have taken this seriously, after I notified this issue to their Twitter handle.
The dealership (Heritage Motors, Thane) responded swiftly and a technician came to my home the next morning and replaced the part.

This was an unexpected and a pleasant turn of events, given my experience with car manufacturers and dealerships in the past.

Both the dealership and Tata Motors representatives are in touch with me on phone and the part is being sent to the factory for investigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
So, what is being used to restrain the crash test dummies?

Anyway, this seems like a manufacturing defect. There should be a marking somewhere on the seatbelt/buckle to indicate the exact batch where this defective one came from. Hopefully there's a recall soon to fix the other buckles from the same batch.
That seems to be the gap in GNCAP testing for that period - I don't know if they've plugged it since.
On the rear seats, only the child seats were part of the crash test - as per the Altroz GNCAP video and pdf.
And those were restrained using the ISOFIX slots, so I don't think the rear seatbelts were actually put under any stress during the crash testing.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2023 at 14:45. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 24th April 2023, 11:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

I think it's pure QA issue from TATA. The buckle assembly seems to not have been done well and knowing TATA's infamous vendor management, this is not surprising. From the title, I actually thought the seat belt itself tore at 4 different places but that's not the issue. Nevertheless, this is a serious concern and I just hope TATA looks at this thread and resolves the issue not just for OP but for consumers across. I am guessing the other models may have the same issue too (if they have the 3rd seat belt).
Old 24th April 2023, 12:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
Nevertheless, this is a serious concern and I just hope TATA looks at this thread and resolves the issue not just for OP but for consumers across. I am guessing the other models may have the same issue too (if they have the 3rd seat belt).
Tata Motors is aware of this thread, it was brought up in a conversation.
The replacement seatbelt was used yesterday for a trip across Mumbai and back, seems to have held up OK.

I'll continue to followup with Tata Motors on this issue. Their next action depends on what their investigation throws up, as this certainly sounds like a strange issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
From the title, I actually thought the seat belt itself tore at 4 different places but that's not the issue.
I checked now and realized that the title got changed by the mods at some point. Maybe the earlier one was too esoteric?
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2023, 13:17   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wasn't rear seat belts ever used ? There is a small possibility of seat belt getting broken if it's not lodged in the correct lock. Usually the window seat as well as middle seat belt locks are next to each other and unknowingly we lock it to another lock of seatbelt.

We had Toyota Corolla, largest ever sold single model in the world, 5 star safety, the rear left sear belt got locked out. It doesn't stretch out and was left out lose.
The entire assembly has to be replaced which needs full rear seat being removed, side wall carpet etc.

These issues prone to happen and everything can't be brushed on to the QA. No manufacturer in the world for any industry does out QA on every piece. Mass testing and monkey testing is done and they are passed .
Old 9th May 2023, 21:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Wasn't rear seat belts ever used ? There is a small possibility of seat belt getting broken if it's not lodged in the correct lock. Usually the window seat as well as middle seat belt locks are next to each other and unknowingly we lock it to another lock of seatbelt.

We had Toyota Corolla, largest ever sold single model in the world, 5 star safety, the rear left sear belt got locked out. It doesn't stretch out and was left out lose.
The entire assembly has to be replaced which needs full rear seat being removed, side wall carpet etc.

These issues prone to happen and everything can't be brushed on to the QA. No manufacturer in the world for any industry does out QA on every piece. Mass testing and monkey testing is done and they are passed .
The locks are interchangeable, just need to make sure that the buckle is faced the correct way, atleast in the altroz its that way. I've honestly never tried it on any other car, never needed to.

I agree QA doesn't happen on each individual part, but for a manufacturer who hangs their hat on safety, these really cheap plastic seatbelt buckles doesn't inspire any confidence, especially after this incident. Its probably a problem of cutting corners on specifications rather than QA.
Old 19th June 2023, 16:51   #23
BHPian

Radio silence from Tata and the dealership on this. I've followed up a few times with the dealership, will do directly with Tata as well.
gomzi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks