Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 12:40   #16
BHPian

Re: Proposal to make repeat offences of rash driving non-bailable: Maharashtra

I do not know the definition of rash driving. Hope the law makers do. Non bailable offence? Why not make it life imprisonment? Given the rampant corruption, lack of safeguards, hardly any camera coverage, another way to milk money from us.
This must have come from some enterprising Traffic Police officers to take care of their reduction in income, of late. Cant think of any other reason for this absurd proposal.
neerajku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 14:23   #17
BHPian

A vague, ambiguous and “open to interpretation” offence coupled with a really steep punishment will always result in abuse of authority.

Something better maybe exceeding the posted speed limit by XX kmph multiple times will result in an automatic cancellation of driving licence maybe a better solution, IMO.
Old 9th April 2023, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Good move but the only problem is What exactly is reckless driving means. That is subjective and can be misused. I'm against it, till that defines clearly without disputes.
Old 9th April 2023, 15:26   #19

So the RTO is basically going to fine people for its own inability to enforce traffic rule in a reasonable manner. There are roads in the Mumbai where cars casually drive in the opposite direction just because the traffic ahead of them stopped moving for 5 seconds or drive on the way road in wrong direction or, cars double parked or around the corner making it difficult for others to make a turn. Schools blocking the complete roads for their buses and cars of parents. Tourist buses blocking two lanes while they onboard the passengers. Bikers riding on the footpaths as if it's the extension of the main road and threatening the life of pedestrians. RTO purposely turns an blind eye to this.
Great.
Old 9th April 2023, 16:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

I only see this as an avenue for more corruption. Since majority of rash driving would be categorized under speeding.

Since Speeding Challans have become the easiest source of revenue for Mumbai Traffic Department. Rs 2,000 per instance.

As elaborated by other Mumbaikars, you have Ertiga parked on a Expressway where they have made 45 Kmph speed limit on a descent where you can easily do 70 Kmph.

On Palm Beach Road, Navi Mumbai the flyover leading to it has a speed limit of 30 Kmph with Ertiga parked at slope to handing out Rs 2000 challan.

Even Palm Beach Road has speed limit of 60 Kmph which invariably is very less.

So anyone getting 2 speeding fine in a month will be categorized as rash driver and will be sent to jail?

They are making owning and driving car a nuisance and headache.

Lastly areas of Mumbai where you find more offending people like Kurla, Mankhurd and Govandi; you wont find cops handing out challans to 2W, dump trucks. See what happened to one recently.
https://www.freepressjournal.in/mumb...ignal-one-held

Only easy target are car owners.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 16:22   #21
BHPian

In India, Rash Driving is term used used by the Cops to make money for themselves.

How can you define something that cannot be measured?

More than a decade ago, after coming back from watching a movie on a lazy Sunday afternoon, so lazy that the roads were empty, after waiting at a signal for almost a minute to take a U turn, Also I was the only person at the signal, A cop came out of no where to stop me, after I took the turn.

This cop accused me of jumping the signal, to which when I opposed strongly to, after which he said I halted on the zebra crossing and if I don't pay up now, he will add rash driving too just because he can. Rash Driving on a stationary vehicle for stopping at a red light? I knew where this was leading to, I left the scene within the next minute after doing the needful. I am not wasting my peaceful Sunday and movie was not that great anyways.

The problem what I see with this proposal is that the govt is yet to realize how this can be misused by the people on the ground.

Rash Driving always reminds me of this incident documented by a BHPian who spent two years fighting a fake rash driving case against him.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ot-guilty.html (Rash driving case fabricated against me by Pune Police & RTO *UPDATE: declared Not Guilty!*)
frewper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 17:23   #22
BHPian

I believe, taking on challenges like rash driving, speeding, etc in unison will not serve any purpose. In a society which has a special liking for moral corruption. Where you cannot measure a person civic sense on a scale of how educated he\she is--pun intended. The key factor then becomes whether you want to insert the human element in the chain of decision making whether from the moment the violation is intercepted, logged, response action dispatched and logged. In our special case the first priority is to get the human element out of the above stated decision making process because if you do add them then you incur lopsided, patchy implemenation.

The interception of a violation to dispatch action information should be shared and replicated among various agencies. Especially those who oversee the implementation of required action. The human element should only come in the picture for the following: The human element should be handed down the inconclusive proof of the wrong doing or voilation commited by he\she. So that person can go and fetch the offender if he\she had committed multiple violations.

Now coming back to the first line, that challenges should not met in unison.

(1) Start with the easiest : Speeding. It not something difficult in terms of putting forth in detail series of steps from start to end to define it.

(2) Make a list of crossings, roads, etc . Bring the basic infrastructure in terms of road condition, pertinent signage in shape. Set up digital cameras which can read number plates whether it day\night, acting as first point intercepters for figuring out overspeeding violation irrespective of type of vehicle.

(3) Some sort of AI capability needs to developed to handle decision making process from start to finish. Human interference is absolutely forbidden.

(4) Automate interception of a violation to the reciept of a message in one or many forms of communcation methods like SMS\email to the offender. Not to mention the replication of such data to different agencies.

These are some of my ideas, I meant atleast a beggining.

I know setting forth in detail violations like 'rash driving' , its defination, the start to end process making tree, etc is a difficult task in itself. Its like an uphill climb. However, I believe a system that can be set in order to deal with a violation like speeding can do a great job in curbing the 'adrenaline rush' of some of the drivers of those vehicles; when they know that the automated system is near perfect and that the offender cannot bargain with it or bribe it.

Fortunately we are living in a age of Cloud computing with its infinite storage, compute, etc. resources. Which stands on the pillars of reliability, scalability, operational excellence, security, performance. The resources of cloud computing can easily be brought to bear in terms of bringing such a system to fruition.

Just my thoughts.
ritedhawan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 07:04   #23
BHPian

How about non bailable warrants and attempt to murder charges against government officials and ministers for Illogically designed speed breakers, pothole infested roads, hazardous curves and road mergers with out warning signs all leading to loss of life ( eg Mr Cyrus Mistry’s death) and property
What about brainless decisions of banning cars over 2000 cc in NCR( later withdrawn)? Causing financial losses to dealers and great discomforts to public at large; shouldn’t the NGT Judges be banned?
bravo82in is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 07:14   #24
BHPian

A non-bailable offence for rash driving makes no sense whatsoever. Reasons:

1. Time and again, effective enforcement has been proven to be a better deterrence than the type of punishment.
2. It's a vague law that the police may use to extort the innocent.
3. It leads to overcrowding in jails that are already overflowing.
Old 10th April 2023, 07:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

If such a law can be enforced, my full support to the decision makers. But please do not target only 2 wheelers and private car owners, all category commercial vehicles should also be penalised.
Old 10th April 2023, 08:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

Proposal to make repeat offences of rash driving non-bailable: Maharashtra

https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...635162343.html
I think it makes sense though I doubt it will be implemented. Rash driving is a compendium of multiple road user behavioural aberrations and sometimes, a sufficiently strong jolt is needed for people to be 'cured'.

I continue to be baffled at how speeding is trivialised. I agree that speed is highly contextual. Driving an auto at 40kmph in a crowded school lane can be as lethal as a high triple digit speed on a highway. But irrespective of all other factors, speed is the leading cause of fatalities, on which everything else rides (pun unintended).

Anyways, thanks for sharing!
Arun Varma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 09:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

If this has to be experimented with then Mumbai is the correct choice given it possesses the best police force in the country.
TBH Pune is one of the worst city based on traffic sense. People here just do not stop on any signal, it is red, yellow-they just need to keep moving as if signal is only for few stupids like us.
Wrong side specially bikers they are all around you always, they could even try to take their bike on your bonnet if they are able to get some space to breath-traffic is just pathetic here.
E-challan on every signal jump should be given to all the offenders and if done more than 3 times license should be cancelled for a year-I know this is in place but never followed in Pune atleast.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 10:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
TBH Pune is one of the worst city based on traffic sense. People here just do not stop on any signal, it is red, yellow-they just need to keep moving as if signal is only for few stupids like us.
Wrong side specially bikers they are all around you always, they could even try to take their bike on your bonnet if they are able to get some space to breath-traffic is just pathetic here.
E-challan on every signal jump should be given to all the offenders and if done more than 3 times license should be cancelled for a year-I know this is in place but never followed in Pune atleast.
The red light jump situation is so bad at some signals ( mostly in T signals where those on the straight road assume that they never have to stop or wait for the traffic from the side road to merge ) that there is real danger of being rear-ended if you stop at any of them.
Old 10th April 2023, 15:40   #29
BHPian

STRONGLY disagree with this. Just another way for the corrupt thullas to make more money. I never break any rules while driving. Even at 2 in the night I always stop at red lights and that gets me the evil eye from co passengers. I follow the speed limits as much as I can ( sometimes the limits are absurd such as 35 on a flyover when both ends of the flyover are 60+. If I drive at 35 on these roads the chances of an accident / road rage increase because everyone else is doing 60+ )

I was once stopped by the policeman for doing 71 ( speed limit 70 and my CC set to 69 ). I argued that I was using cruise control at 69 but his "speed gun" showed me doing 71. Had to pay a bribe. Another time a cop accused me of jumping the red light - I crossed when it was green and by the time I made it to the other side it was red due to slow traffic. Had to show my dashcam before he let me go - told him dashcam saves all videos on my google drive to ensure he doesn't just take the dashcam with him and then fines me !

India is the land of the corrupt and such draconian laws are best not passed by the legislature. We can't use sun films because a few rapes happened ? Have incidents of rapes in cars decreased after this stupid rule was made ? The judges and police all travel in cars with sun films - I stay in a police / judge colony (5-10 old private houses ) and 99% of all the cars in the area have sun films while we have nothing on all our cars and face the Delhi heat every year.

What next - ban sale of knives because it can be used to kill someone ?

India is a land of the powerful by the powerful. The common man is treated like trash and has no rights
akg7091 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 23:12   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
...rash and dangerous driving by itself is something very vague and not objectively defined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Rash & negligent driving can be a commonly misused allegation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Rash driving, dangerous driving and speeding needs to be well defined before such an action is taken...
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Could someone please help the thread with objective definitions of "rash driving"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by igemini View Post
What exactly is reckless driving means. That is subjective and can be misused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
In India, Rash Driving is term used... by the Cops to make money for themselves.
How can you define something that cannot be measured?
Considering that everyone seems to be confused about what constitutes rash driving, perhaps we can classify it into what is called hooning in Australia.
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/crime-and...-crime/hooning
Quote:
Hooning is the common word we use for any anti-social behaviour in a motor vehicle (car, van, or motorbike), such as speeding, street racing, burnouts and playing loud music from a car stereo.
For the penalties hooning carries in that country, take a look at the link above.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 10th April 2023 at 23:18.
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks