Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2023, 13:24   #16
BHPian

Re: Rash driving caused by stress

Usually my wife and kid sit at the back of the car but if there is any emergency then my wife makes sure that she sit at front to control my speed and avoid any rash driving. we just need someone to tell us to slow down often to make us realize what we are doing and bring us back into our senses.

But there is a better solution, always have your friends by your side during these trouble times. They will think calmly and sort things out which we will mess up if we did it on our own when panicked. It can be friends or your good neighbors etc, even a security guard of your apartment will help you out in these times of emergencies.

Adrenaline rush cannot be controlled in certain situations by our own. It requires a lot of practice and sometimes a mature mindset to control it. Till we reach that point, we will need help.

I recently faced similar situation and was doing rash driving to get to a place quickly but thankfully god showed me an example in front of my car as a Nexon met with an accident with a scooter while merging because of Nexon driver's carelessness of not looking at traffic while merging. That should have been me if I was 1 second ahead in that road. After this incident my mindset have changed and possess a mature driving style. Even if there is an emergency, I do a safe driving first without breaking a single law.
Old 30th March 2023, 13:35   #17
BHPian

Firstly, Kudos to you for acknowledging that you Erred and then sharing it with all of Us.

I have been in such situation-s and to be honest, It is a work in progress.

The way I have tackled it is thinking about it all later on and asking myself what made me angry, why did it made me angry, what are my insecurities and how I can win over them.

I know what the right way of driving on the road is, the point is to keep following that right way. There will be triggers along the way which will make me Err however, with time all such triggers start affecting me less and less...and I'm becoming a better driver than what I was yesterday!
Old 30th March 2023, 14:02   #18
BHPian

Re: Accidents in India | Pics & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are ways of making the journey a little bit quicker without making it dangerous or risky.

One very simple way, which I try to practice every day, without any emergency, is to read the road ahead. Notice what is happening ahead: make good lane changes ahead of time. The impatient guy who rushes past you may appear to be going faster, until he gets stuck behind the traffic waiting to take a right turn as you pass by in the lane that is still moving!
This is the way to go. However, it's tough to practise this in the situation that you were in. But now that going to office all days of the week is a normal affair, I practise this in BLR traffic and as Thad mentioned, "the quick seldom go quicker in traffic."

Glad you shared it here. Hope your kid is doing better.
Old 30th March 2023, 15:22   #19
BHPian

Rash driving happens under Stress/ Anxiety/ Frustation which is a normal reflex action. If it happens often then you may unknowingly be suffering from High Blood Pressure which ultimately is a cause of worry and requires immediate attention especially if you are 30 plus.
Old 30th March 2023, 15:29   #20
BHPian

I think we could segment the issue at hand:

There may be an emergency situation that REQUIRES US to drive fast (and possibly rash). Ambulance drivers routinely do it and put many road users at risk.

But more often, we may be prone to over-responding to a traffic situation, based on OUR OWN STATE OF MIND. Some time back, my wife remarked that I tend to drive differently when under stress. After introspecting, I felt she is right because I tend to take my work baggage to the road.

Both types pose a risk to the driver and to the others, but the second one is at least CONTROLLABLE. How I wish it was as easy to practice, as it is to preach
Old 30th March 2023, 16:00   #21
BHPian

I once drove a neighbor’s father to Hospital while he had a heart infarct and fainted at home. The neighbor was just taking his car out in all panic and his mom was crying. I ve asked him if I can drive them to hospital as he clearly is not in an emotional state to drive a car.

Eventually I drove their car to the nearest hospital’s Emergency block. It was quite a stressful and emotional 20 minutes where the mom is crying and the son is sitting in the backseat trying to get his father to wake up.

We reached the hospital on time and my neighbor’s father lived to tell the tale. Best way I see is to not drive when emotions are high. Get help of people nearby if available. The only exceptions are professionals who are trained to make decisions even under stressful situations.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 30th March 2023 at 16:22.
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2023, 22:09   #22
BHPian

Thankyou everyone.

Yes I completely agree I made a bad judgement I should have asked my neighbour or a friend to drive me to hospital.
Heck, I should have asked my wife to drive as she never ever drive rash.

As uncle Ben once said - "With great power comes great responsibility".
I need to be very careful to not drive under stress in any circumstance.
FalconRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 10:04   #23

Like others have mentioned, one should not drive himself while in the panic mode. I had to it when a relative suffered cardiac arrest. Even while getting to their place I realised I couldn't handle the car properly. At one point I couldn't even get the car to get going on a up hill climb and it rolled back into the bus behind me. Very few people can stay composed even such things take place. If you know you're not one of them then bother driving in such situations.
Old 4th April 2023, 10:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Its easier said than done. In an emergency situation when someone needs help and you have a car, you are not expected to chicken out. You have to deal with the situation head on and drive in best possible way. The best way to deal with it is to just concentrate on driving since thats the best thing you are doing to deal with the situation.

Life is going to throw you in difficult situations, and even though we may make mistakes giving up should never be an option , atleast not in case of a medical emergency.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 15:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

In an emergency, there is often nobody else available, or it would like vital time to arrange.

Unless there are obvious alternative drivers, on the spot and ready, I don't feel that "don't do it" is useful advice. We may have to do it.

The answer is to be as well trained, and well advised, as possible. As a doctor, driving to treat emergencies, has already advised in this thread, getting there is more important than a minute or two saved.

I have never actually been in this situation, where the life of a loved one (or any human!) might be failing. I do recognise that it is easy to spout wisdom here, and the pertinent saying is indeed more easily said than done.

Crossposted, before reading silverado's excellent post just before mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Life is going to throw you in difficult situations, and even though we may make mistakes giving up should never be an option , atleast not in case of a medical emergency.
Very well said. Your whole posts puts the thing better than I did.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th April 2023 at 15:09.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks