Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2023, 12:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 10 commandments of homicidal driving | By a KSRTC driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post

Let me stop you right there! Private buses are far worse! Anyone residing in North KL can attest to that.
I have used private buses in rural TN, so I am taking from personal experience. They are much better maintained, are always on time. They are rash drivers no doubt, but they are better of the two devil, main plus is that they don't have union, we can at least take legal action if anything serious happens.

This may not be applicable even to neighbouring districts, but this shows its easier to regulate private players.
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 13:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very relevant thread, some thoughts from my years of growing up in KL

Underpowered buses, and twisty, narrow roads with gradients mean that to ensure progress (though a futile endeavour) one needs to really risk it all and drive headlong into any perceived gap in traffic. Even in my DSG-equipped car it is a risky business to overtake but I can slingshot past when there is a safe gap without being desperate

The collection targets incentivise exactly this risk-taking behaviour and of course, get normalised as a way of life. Think of Byju's predatory selling tactics, a pure fallout of Management priorities

Absolutely unrealistic time chart of ETA no matter what, this is the only thing the driver is really 'afraid' of. Companies with safety-focused fleet management will know better than have a strict ETA indifferent to traffic situations. The way KSRTC 'makes up' lost time is something!

Something happens to the mind of a KSRTC driver when he notices a private bus ahead (competitor!), and ends up doing ludicrous manoeuvres to get ahead

Even passenger safety does not figure anywhere in the scheme of things as it evident, more often than not the KSRTC is bigger than the vehicles it encounters. Other vehicles on the road are just inconsequential

I will conclude by saying that the KSRTC drivers are skilled (deft even) and can really hustle the vehicle without losing momentum (KSRTC which plies from Kozhikode to Wayanad is just a case study of how to maintain momentum and the right gear!) compared to sloppily driven private cars. Imagine if they are given better, modern machines with the right safety orientation!

Treat them like an ambulance, stay out of their way

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th March 2023 at 16:38.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 14:24   #18
BHPian

Whenever I visit India for vacation, I used to travel around my home town Coimbatore. Kerala is pretty much close to my home town and the southern state I like the most for it's natural beauty. I am often driving to mountains and shorelines of KL. But, over the last decade, I find not only the KSRTC drivers having poor driving manners, but also see this in other road users. I don't see as much egoistic/selfish driving behaviour in other states like TN, AP or KA.

I am not sure if we should just point KSRTC drivers alone. There might be a lot of reasons like narrow and poorly maintained roads, aggressive driving behaviour of road users, general mindset of less empathy towards others and focusing on self (cultural?) which may manifest on bus drivers whose primary job is to be on the roads as part of their work.

It is my personal observation and humble opinion. May be our BHP-ians from Kerala who drive often in other southern states can enlighten more.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st July 2023 at 12:07. Reason: Kerela > Kerala; old but relevant. :)
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 16:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

It does make one wonder how this new target based salary disbursal is going to affect things on the road!

I have heard of target based incentive but first time hearing about salary being linked with targets.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 19:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
May be our BHP-ians from Kerala who drive often in other southern states can enlighten more.
My family is spread across three southern states and I have used KaSRTC and KeSRTC extensively.

The difference between the two is night and day. The KaSRTC drivers might have the odd bad apple but by and large, they are patient, careful and very safe. If there are slow moving vehicles ahead, they are generally trained to wait till a safe overtaking opportunity presents itself. They are noticeably restrained, even when the road ahead is completely empty.

Kerala bus drivers are... mental. It feels like they're trying to break a record for the journey every single time.

It's been this way for years now. While some T-Bhpians from Kerala might agree with this post, the average person in KL thinks those guys are "expert" drivers. So there's little point even trying to explain...
McLaren Rulez is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 21:01   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Another day in Kerala, yet another news of an accident involving a KSRTC bus!
The most important commandment - Join the Union, so that nobody can touch you even if ......
aashishnb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 15:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

Absolutely unrealistic time chart of ETA no matter what, this is the only thing the driver is really 'afraid' of. Companies with safety-focused fleet management will know better than have a strict ETA indifferent to traffic situations. The way KSRTC 'makes up' lost time is something!
I think KSRTC drivers (and to an extend general public) taking insane ETA mandates as an excuse to drive horrendously is one of the biggest misleading reasoning in today's world.

Taking one example of how the total ride time gets compensated based on traffic conditions/time of day etc.

Below is the schedule for same type of bus service, same route, but for three different time slots. We can clearly see trip duration getting extended proportionately as the journey times gets onto rush hour.
The 10 commandments of homicidal driving | By a KSRTC driver-schedule.png
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 16:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Below is the schedule for same type of bus service, same route, but for three different time slots. We can clearly see trip duration getting extended proportionately as the journey times gets onto rush hour.
Attachment 2426168
Fair enough, but this is the bare basics for the time table to even fly (with the drivers). I am not sure how sustainable a static time table is in today's traffic; nor about the driver being empowered (or incentivised) to miss the schedule in the interest of safety
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 19:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

So, the KSRTC drivers are not worried about law, police, accidents, injuring or killing someone because they get the help of unions, but somehow are worried about reaching their destination on time.

Can't the unions fight for extra pay for extra work because of the delay?
Can't the unions ask their management's to not threaten drivers for the delay?
Can't the management threaten drivers dtiving radhly with the same consequences as they get for a delayed service?
Don't understand if the unions have such powers why they can't threaten their own management.

APSRTC drivers are one of the slowest drivers in south India, I remember my uncle telling me story where APSRTC asked it's drivers to increase speed on newer highways, the drivers complained about speed locks, after this the management removed speed locks(not sure if this is real story) but the drivers are so much habituated to slow driving that they are not crossing 80kmph even on highways.

I recently did Tirupati to Bangalore on APSRTC super luxury where the driver was driving super slow, passengers started arguing that the bus is palle velugu(village connectivity buses) and not a super luxury, the driver heard the conversation and started driving fast, that's how slow is APSRTC, I always felt KaSRTC, TNSRTC to be super fast.
SKC-auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 19:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
I think KSRTC drivers (and to an extend general public) taking insane ETA mandates as an excuse to drive horrendously is one of the biggest misleading reasoning in today's world.

Taking one example of how the total ride time gets compensated based on traffic conditions/time of day etc.

Attachment 2426168
Isn't 5 hours still too tight for a bus? Checking Google Maps for a car shows that it takes a minimum of 4:30 hours.
Turbohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2023, 11:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post

Can't the unions fight for extra pay for extra work because of the delay?
Can't the unions ask their management's to not threaten drivers for the delay?
Can't the management threaten drivers dtiving radhly with the same consequences as they get for a delayed service?
Don't understand if the unions have such powers why they can't threaten their own management.
Simple reason would be that KSRTC has no money and is dependent on handouts from Government.

Which is why they have started (or plan to) target based salaries, salary being disbursed in installments, controlling student passes etc etc. Even the HC of the state is involved in all this mess and it's a pretty sad picture.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 19:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Latest KSRTC accident (happened today). Three seriously injured. Road was clearly marked with double yellow lines.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 19:23   #28
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Latest KSRTC accident (happened today). Three seriously injured. Road was clearly marked with double yellow lines.
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=jdwLRH7PPJU?feature=share
The Xylo too crossed the yellow line and hit the KSRTC. May be the Xylo under steered or the driver of the Xylo tried to teach a lesson
Attached Thumbnails
The 10 commandments of homicidal driving | By a KSRTC driver-xylo.jpg  

anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 22:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
The Xylo too crossed the yellow line and hit the KSRTC. May be the Xylo under steered or the driver of the Xylo tried to teach a lesson

1.Xylo's driver tried to stay to his right as there were two cars parked to his left, in the curve he was close to yellow divider line but he didn't cross it until impact.

2.Just a second before the impact, you see smoke from xylo's tyre, might be he braked too hard - locking his wheels, unable to steer and slammed straight into the bus.

Ton of thanks for the OP to bring into light the aggressive bus drivers.
tiagoatrix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 13:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
You can see rubber marks from where the Xylo braked. Wheels locked up, went straight into the bus without control is what i would understand.
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks