Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 11:10   #46
BHPian

re: Should we have an ECU-enforced 120 kmph speed limit on all cars?

It is not practically possible to have have number of speed governor for various speed limits applicable on different roads. A driver driving at 122 kmph on a 120 limit speed may not be as dangerous as another driving at 80 on a 40 speed limit zone.
The best speed governor would be the mentality of the driver who must be willing to adhere to the best suited speed.
Amrik Singh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:27   #47
BHPian

To avoid accidents, one must know the limits of the vehicle, the condition of the road, the traffic situation & the ability of self to control the vehicle in any of the above situation. Simply blaming all accidents to higher speed won't help.

I'll give an example which happened to me just a day before yesterday. I was driving with my family to a nearby town. There's a slow moving truck in right lane. I have no option but to overtake from left lane. But as a theorem, there always has to be a bike driving parallel to the truck. I honk, wait for some time. No response from both of them (the truck or the bike). I honk again, this time the biker got agitated and getting furious at me, making hand gestures to challenge me to overtake from the gap between the bike and the truck.

At times, I have seen slow moving bikers/autos/pickup trucks/heavy vehicles in right lane (both, in the city and on highways). They expect 90% of the traffic to change to keep changing lanes to overtake them, than simply being in left lane where a slow moving vehicle should be.

I think if everyone follows traffic rules (and of course, adhere to speed limits), there is a hope to avoid/reduce accidents than to simply limiting vehicle speeds.

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 12th December 2022 at 11:28.
pkulkarni.2106 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_36 View Post
Given the following:
1. Poor self-control of speeds by drivers of India
2. Little to no speed enforcement on highways
3. Large % of accidents on highways linked to speeding
4. Highest speed limit anywhere in the country is 120 kmph
5. We don't have Autobahns like in Germany
6. Cars have advanced ECUs today

Then why allow car manufacturers to make and sell cars that can go faster than 120 kmph? Can the Govt. not mandate ECU controlled speed limit of 120 kmph on all new cars? This can be retroactively implemented on all cars already sold, at least those that have the ECU capability.
Totally disagree. How did you conclude limiting speed can bring down number of accidents? In fact, it can be counter-productive, especially during overtaking on highways. I also disagree with point #3 - many times lazy authorities just label any accident as 'over-speeding' without actually investigating the root-cause of the problem. Slow moving trucks hogging both lanes, fools driving on wrong-side, painfully slow tractors turning without any signals, POOR highway design, incorrect entry, intersection points on highways, unruly two-wheelers driving in speed lanes...the list can go on. How can enforcing 120kmphr solve multiple such issues that plague our highways.

I don't think "quick patch-work" kind of ideas are useful...instead, it's essential to think more holistic solutions - including road manners and driving lessons in college curriculum, very strict practical driving tests (with minimal corruption), more scientific, common-sense driven high-way design, proper and regular road maintenance, rules enforcement, imposing strict penalties for violators etc. can make our highways safer. We'll need quality experts to formulate well thought-out measures and a lot of effort in implementing them...no easy solutions

Last edited by VikramCS : 12th December 2022 at 11:45.
VikramCS is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 11:59   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

No! We need more Speed.

How? Engineering - simple as that.

We have the second largest road network in the world, so building a road that can handle 140+ Kmph should not be a problem at all.

Why? Economic growth, strategic defense, because we simply can etc.

As a country we need to be doing things faster, reaching places faster, we need bigger roads and faster road speeds that these roads can accommodate. I think in the near future we should be seeing 140 Kmph speed limit, imagine being able to drive uninterrupted from one end of the country to other at that speed or even more - it will be awesome.

Automotive industry has already accounted for the upcoming high speed roads, remember there was a car made by an Indian company that was running around a high speed track at nearly 200 kmph for 24 hours to prove it.

I think we need to come out of this third world country mindset first.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
No! We need more Speed.

How? Engineering - simple as that.

We have the second largest road network in the world, so building a road that can handle 140+ Kmph should not be a problem at all.
Higher speed means the vehicle takes less time on the road. It actually helps traffic congestion on road. Each traveller uses the Road for a shorter period of time. Yes ! Road safety and speed do not go together very well but a road sense well grafted in the mind of driver is necessary.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:20   #51
BHPian

Surprised to read the thread title!

Though many of us do not drive at speeds beyond that, there are time and roads in Indian where it is possible for a vehicle to reach and cross 120kmph easily and safely.

Then there are very few anti-social elements in society who do lack common sense and want to go fast as possible (don't know what they are compensating for!) without judging the road or situation.
Its like punishing the entire society if one then the resident is an anti-social element. Limiting the cars to a specific speed (which is safely achievable) would feel like jailed.
Rather concentrate on stricter norms while providing driving licenses. The safety rules should be literally embedded into one's brain before one can drive on the road.

PS. How will the traffic division of the govt earn if the speed limits will be followed on highways.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:26   #52
BHPian

I do not drive faster than 80, so nobody in India should need to.

Well...

I do not drive an automatic, so no one in India should need to.
I do not drink alcohol, so all alcohol should be banned in India
I do not like smoking, so all tobacco products should be banned
I do not like meat, so no one in India should need to buy or eat meat
I can climb stairs, so no one in India should need to use escalators and elevators
I am allergic to peanuts, so no one in India or the world should need to
I do not like people talking on their cellphones, so all cellphones should be banned
I think carbohydrates are bad for health, so all carb-foods should be banned
I think Carnatic music is the only true music, so any other music should be banned.
I think (people from certain states or communities) are bad and so should not be permitted to buy or rent any homes in my neighbourhood.

And finally, I know that I am always right, so anyone with a different opinion should not be permitted to post on Team-BHP.

Agree? (Sorry, been reading too much LinkedIn )

Cheers
tilt is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:31   #53
BHPian

Many arguments are too technical which try to prove a point without any feasible outcome. Discussions on speed limits are something like that.

Some key factors many forget are:

1. We as a country are still very far from being self governed. It's not that other countries haven't gone through what we have done. But they have shown a willingness to change. We still argue about a slow truck frustrating us to do something not required of us than show self restraint. No. Don't get into whataboutery. I drive enough on the roads not to indulge into reckless behaviour blaming some other vehicle. Even on the famed NICE road of Bangalore. I anyway catchUp with many such enthusiastic drivers overtaking from all angles putting themselves and others at risk - by the next kilometre Or so. If I don't catch up, I don't care. On the road, there are only two things we can control - our mind and our car.

2. Talks of driver training - this should be more education. About how someone can drive safely with due respect to others. Unfortunately this doesn't come as part of our culture in general. We see this behavior everywhere where feel entitled or find ways to jump the que. You don't find this in developed countries - on the road or off it. The education starts much earlier than the individual becoming a driver.

Speed limits are treated as an entitlement. And beyond. There's no dearth of people bullying you on Indian highways even when you are doing legal speed limits when the conditions permit. And enough people to bully you when you can't maintain legal speed limits because the conditions don't allow you. Maintaining a distance of three cars is seen as a weakness and an opportunity to fill the gap. Not a safety virtue. I have seen cars ranging from A Segment to D Segment and the Luxury ones indulging in such bullying. And some with T-BHP stickers as well. Yeah they could be fake, but the kind of arguments I see here make me believe they could be genuine.

So, I see it - the problem of overspeeding - as an inherent problem - lack of civic sense and common sense and a high sense of entitlement - than anything else. There's enough information today on the internet today to understand and inculcate a good driving behavior. Even to those who on this forum are pointing fingers. The simple fact is that we, the people, get what we deserve, until the time we change our attitudes for the positive. Let us learn from ants, not the sheep.
theabstractmind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:35   #54
BHPian

Speeding is definitely a cause of accidents not just in India, but also in every part of the world. Parking India for now, in those parts of the world where accidents happen due to speeding, does the country have speed limits - YES. Then why does it happen?

Is speeding a major cause of road accidents/casualties in India? - Questionable. Do we have data to substantiate the claim? - NO. Are enough investigations and research done in India to arrive at this conclusion? - NO. Are we competent enough to do such investigations? - YES. But why are we not doing it - retrospective and introspective question?

For eg - A Maruti Omni/Eeco doing 90-100kmph with 5 or more people is 200% more dangerous than a Toyota Fortuner doing 120-140kmpl with 4 on board. What is the speed limit of a Splendour bike or Honda Activa? How can speed limit solve this issue?

Again, as per the OP, is 120kmph still a safe speed limit? What about the speed limit buses, trucks, trailers, etc,? Generally, in many other parts of the world, the speed limit of a commercial vehicle is around 70-90kmpl. Are our commercial vehicles capable enough to attain and sustain these speeds (70-90) on our expressways/highways?

Road infrastructure (highways, expressways, city roads, bridges. intersections, etc) is a pure engineering activity - design, plan, build and maintain. Forget about expressways, we all know how road infra, bridges, and roads themselves are built in our cities.
Are we following the speed limit in the cities, towns, school zones, hospital zones, etc?

Of course, as an enthusiast/non-enthusiast, all I want is to do a 500km journey in 5hrs. In this case, the average speed is 100kph, which is well below the OP's speed limit. But in India, is it possible today? Absolutely NO. Increasing the average speed is only achievable through these actions - proper road infra, good drivers, following rules, being considerate, etc, etc. The only solution is to increase the average speed - Without this only reducing/restricting the speed limit is never going to address the challenge that OP has mentioned.

I am not against the speed limit restriction, but at the same time it should be an intellectual decision. At least for now, this list of points (this list goes on and on....) that are not in favour of speed limit restriction literally outweighs the so called "achievable benefits" of speed limit restriction.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 12th December 2022 at 12:41.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:37   #55
BHPian

In my view, a better solution would be:

1. Improve road infrastructure progressively. Rectify structural issues that could cause road accidents.

2. Aggressively implement the speed-capturing infrastructure. Fine 1% of the vehicle cost as a fine for breaching speed limits by 20%. For example, if the speed limit is 100 kph, fine the vehicle when it speeds at 121 kph.

3. If a vehicle is fined more than 20 times in a calendar year, impound the vehicle permanently. After one month of impounding, authorities can resell/auction the vehicle with a new registration number.

This way, those who are in an emergency, and don't mind paying the fine, can proceed. Others, who don't want to be fined, can mind their speed.
silver-stand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:38   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I do not drive faster than 80, so nobody in India should need to.

Well...

I do not drink alcohol, so all alcohol should be banned in India

And finally, I know that I am always right, so anyone with a different opinion should not be permitted to post on Team-BHP.

Agree? (Sorry, been reading too much LinkedIn )

Cheers
I wholeheartedly agree with your comment. But it is not the same situation here. Speeding vehicle will not only kill the speeding driver but also the driver of other vehicle. Your freedom &rights end where someone else 's freedom and rights are violated. You drinking alcohol will not hurt me but you driving under alcohol influence will most probably hurt me or someone else. So the limits on these situations are warranted.

Limiting speed will not only reduce the probability of accident but also the loss/damage caused by those accidents. Our infrastructure is not meant for high speeds.
HowardRoark is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:44   #57
BHPian

I drove a Zoom car with 80kmph speed delimiter, that cuts off fuel to the engine if the speedo hits 80.

It is an extremely unnerving experience; especially when planning for an overtake, and you have fuel cut off in the middle of the manouver!

I am no maniac or adrenaline junkie seeking speed thrills, but there are times when you need to speed up to cover for certain immediate conditions.

The solution to avoiding road accidents is better roads, better traffic managment and penalising dangerous driving! Reducing average traffic speed only leads to higher congestion. Idiots will drive badly even at 50kmph; just check out traffic snarls at metros at redlights!

SPeed limit cannot be a solution.
amitayu is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:01   #58
BHPian

The assumption is enforcing speed limit on the cars will reduce accidents and deaths. This is already being enforced in a way for commercial passenger vehicles where speed has been capped electronically at 80 kmph. However, there are more critical and serious factors which lead to accident and possible deaths.

Except few expressways, on most of the highways, unless you drive like a maniac, it is impossible to go over 120 kmph due to the traffic. And even if you are hell bent on driving at that speed, you will break more than you will accelerate. You can only go over that speed only for a brief period of a couple of minutes when you get lucky and get a clear stretch. So capping will not be of much use.

Traffic discipline and speed discipline go hand in hand. When you have a fully loaded truck driving at 40 kmph on the right most lane and being overtaken by other trucks from left, you are creating risky conditions for others. Before we go towards speed capping, we should make sure lane and vehicle discipline is followed - slower vehicles on left and faster on right.

Our Highways are an extension of the cities they pass through. The sense of locals is that it is part of their city and thus local traffic, shops and buildings of all kinds encroach on it. It is not uncommon to find cycles, autorickshaw, even battery operated rickshaw on NH. Over the period of time, the only solution left is to build flyovers and during the construction of the same, you create even more risky conditions with diversions, road obstructions and what not.

The condition of heavy commercial vehicles needs to be improved a lot. We have made huge improvement in passenger vehicles but lot is desired in the commercial part. Make them more safer and fit to ply. In addition ensure drivers of these are fit and upto the mark before they come on road. Today, our police is so fond of standing with their speed guns on the road and catch people who are absolutely no risk to others on the road. Ideally, they should stop risky drivers and do a fitness test of the vehicle and driver and then after satisfactory clearing, allow them on road. Else send them back to garage. The central idea is make vehicles and their drivers safer and fit for the road. But we bark at the wrong tree by ticketing some nice bloke who crossed the speed limit on an empty stretch of road because there is chance to make some moolah in the process.

The suggestion is made on an assumption without mention of any data. We have many agencies and organizations who do dedicated research on elections and associated data analytics. It is high time we have some world class agencies for traffic management and analysis who are able to provide insights and over a period of time make a difference by making roads safer and saner.
autobahnjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:08   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear @tilt, A road much like an airport is a public utility asset built for the common and simultaneous use by citizens with vehicles of all sizes and power. And there is a public safety need that this simultaneous usage be safe for all. The examples quoted by you below, aiming at sarcastic humour, are personal habits not usage of a public utility along with hundreds others simultaneously. To that extent the reasoning and sarcasm do not hold water. Speed, jumping signals and driving on the wrong side are among three of the largest root causes of accidents in India and other than enthusiasts on social media I doubt any others in India's 140 crore people would advocate for higher speeds beyond 120 kmph. My vote is for 100 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I do not drink alcohol, so all alcohol should be banned in India......
I can climb stairs, so no one in India should need to use escalators and elevators
I am allergic to peanuts, so no one in India or the world should need to
I do not like people talking on their cellphones, so all cellphones should be banned
I think carbohydrates are bad for health, so all carb-foods should be banned
V.Narayan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:57   #60
BHPian

I don't understand this. Instead of improving on the root cause of accidents, people suggest such absurd things. I remember my uncle who retired from Police saying wide roads should not be constructed. They encourage speeding and lead to accidents. I was a child then but it still felt so absurd to me.

One should drive on the Autobahns in Germany to understand how disciplined the drivers there are. Even if there is another truck they want to overtake after just overtaking one, they still move to the middle lane and then move to the first lane again for the 2nd overtake.
ronford is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks