Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Appropriate metric and minimum allowable figures for 2 wheelers on expressways ?
Power output > 40BHP 77 27.80%
Engine displacement > 350cc 56 20.22%
Any other power output 13 4.69%
Any other displacement 10 3.61%
2 wheelers should absolutely be prohibited 162 58.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2022, 08:22   #46
BHPian

Re: Should 2-wheelers above a certain engine displacement/power output be allowed on expressways?

Well, I voted based on my gut before I had read through the responses from the other members. I voted for size and power restrictions on the bikes to be allowed on the expressways.

I realize that singling out bikes by size and or power is not practical. However, one of the biggest reasons for accidents is not speeding but the differential in speed of the different classes of vehicles.

So there should be a graded system allowing all vehicles to ply on the road, but be capable of maintaining a minimum speed safely.
Safely is a complex concept that can not be categorized by speed alone. A bike doing 80-90 kmph on the highway will be less of a danger to other users, compared to a bike doing 40 kmph. At the same time, this bike, if shod with the puny tires and a 100 CC engine, is more of a danger to itself and others, since it will be riding on/above the upper edge of its capabilities.

Instead of policing the size and power of the bikes, which is. difficult and expensive to implement, authorities should start ensuring a minimum speed to be maintained as well as driving behavior monitoring. This should apply for all classes of vehicles. Some of the obvious rules
  1. Follow a speed range for each lane, 80-100 for first lane, 60-80 for the second, 40-60 for 3rd lane; anything and anyone not capable of maintaining even 60 KMPH has no business on the 4 lane highways
  2. Speeds to be monitored by radar cameras; the staff and the cameras pay for themselves in fines
  3. Erratic lane changes, without proper indications, to be penalized; captured and monitored by CCTVs; again this activity can pay for itself from the fines generated
  4. The CCTV infra can also be used to check overloading on 2 Wheelers and 4 Wheelers - Read that as more than 2 on a bike, more than 15-20 in a vehicle, carrying milk cans on a bike on the highway etc. Overloading is not just a menace among commercial vehicles in our country, but endemic to our society
  5. Challans to be issued against all users, regardless of status and or residence; as villages near the highways tend to dominate the toll booth employees and authorities; also include high govt office holders and "influential" people.
  6. Make training a large part of the licensing system; we have drivers with licenses but no road sense. Here's one thread on our forum itself about highway driving etiquettes - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...tte-rules.html (Highway driving etiquette and rules)
All in all, the CCTV/ radar implementation is the most cost effective and effective method of policing our highways. We have to ensure that 2Wheelers are also penalized for infringement. As a nation, we need to become cognizant of the requirements for coexistence on the roads.

-End of Rant-
Ravi Parwan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 08:40   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Should 2-wheelers above a certain engine displacement/power output be allowed on expressways?

This to my mind is a no brainier in the Indian context. Almost all two wheelers sold in India are underpowered, thinly tired, commuter bikes and scooters. They are not safe even at 60 kmph, and even more unsafe when passed at close quarters by fast moving car or heavy vehicle traffic. So for both the sake of ensuring that traffic in an “expressway” moves quickly and the safety of the riders themselves, allowing most two wheelers on expressways is a “No - No”. Yes, there is a small minority of large, heavy and powerful bikes which are capable of been ridden safely at Indian expressway speeds. But people at access points are not capable of distinguishing these from a bike which is “all show but no go”, so that can’t be introduced.

Agree with some of the commenters that “minimum speed” rules are a must on expressways too. Any vehicle which is not capable of running and stopping safely at 80 kmph should not be allowed on expressways, and there should be penalties for vehicles traveling at low speeds, especially in the right lane.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 08:48   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post

Kindly support your vote with answers. Any other suggestions from members are welcome.

Sorry I may sound contradictory to many of the people here, but what needs to be said has to be said.

I think that it is not about power or displacement or average speed of 2 wheelers. I think it is more about the safety of the 2 wheelers and other vehicles too. It is a measure to prevent fatal accidents. An accident of a careless 2 wheeler rider can be absolutely fatal on expressways. Now some people will argue that are not 4 wheeler drivers careless, too? Some might argue that, are not 4 wheelers engaged in accidents? I don’t want to go into arguments, but the amount of 2 wheelers in our roads is humongous. So, consider the probability factor.

Off topic, but I think on a equal note, 2 wheelers should also pay tolls on the highways. Maybe a very small amount. But since there are more 2 wheelers, the amount of money collected will be huge.
BhaskarG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 09:12   #49
BHPian

Voted "Yes".
I would request everyone to go through GTO's Article on 2 Wheeler Riders mentioned in this thread. A 2 Wheeler is still an aspirational product for millions of Indians who live in rural areas. This is their sole vehicle to go from Village A to Village B without being a the mercy of Public transport which are very few. I know of an Ambulance Service operated by PadmaShri Awardee in rural North Bengal which has helped save lives of hundreds.
We the Team BHP Forum members are a privileged few who may own multiple cars and have at least 150cc motorbikes in our garage but the millions of our Indian brethren are not that lucky so every vehicle is dearly held to the owner for its sole utility- Personal Mobility.
I survived a Car accident on Lucknow-Kanpur Highway on 12th Sep 2015 which happened when a novice motorbike rider on his Bajaj CT100 stopped suddenly on the middle of the road and we had to apply sudden braking which lead our Swift to hit the median at around 25-30 Kmpl. On the Top it, when we we asked for police help, the UP Police Patrol Van made us cough up Rs 2000/-.
Barring few high speed designated highways, there is simply no logic in banning 2 Wheelers as it would lead to another mass-scale protests by agrarian societies in India.

Last edited by HooghlyBoy : 4th December 2022 at 09:14.
HooghlyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 14:24   #50
BHPian

Until India has an obscure ratio of two wheelers against four wheelers we should ban all two wheelers on highways.
In India a two wheeler is not considered a complete unit to take up its space in the lane as a car. Bigger vehicles nudge them and go ahead.
The separation based of engine capacity or brake horse power is not going to help due to the rampant low level corruption in India.
Old 4th December 2022, 15:47   #51
BHPian

We speak a lot about how car drivers don't have driving etiquette in India but rarely discuss two wheelers. Because they are the common man's transport so they are given a free pass just like the rickshaws.

But an absolute no from me on expressways. It's not about the displacement and the standard of the vehicle but rather the quality of driving.

People DO not know how to drive on banked roads and high speed highways. There are some riding groups that train and keep safety as priority but the rest are just thrill seekers. Unpredictable lane changes, cutting of bigger vehicles at high speeds, loss of control are very prevalent on highways that allow them currently.

With two wheelers we don't even have proper helmet usage. No way is the general population disciplined enough for high speed expressways.
Old 4th December 2022, 18:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

If we can allow bicycles on the road with motor vehicles , expressways can surely accomodate 2 wheeled vehicles.

A Bajaj qute tops out at 70kmph, commercial vehicles are supposed to be fitted with speed governers set at 70/80 kmph - all these vehicles are going to share the road with vehicles that are zooming around at 140 kmph. It has been working so far, so why now this sudden proposal to ban 2W from expressways?

See no one in their right mind would enter an access controlled expressway paying toll charges and then drive a TVS50 when the nearest exit is atleast 10 kms away.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 18:52   #53
BHPian

This is predominantly a car enthusiast forum and the replies seen here reflect that.
I entirely agree with several members who say that 2 wheeler riders are an unruly lot and end up causing way too much headache for fellow road users (including fellow 2 wheeler users).

However, I would vote to allow two wheelers on the expressway. I'll explain why with 2 different highways in Tamilnadu.
My reasoning may not be sound and is with limited experience, but hey I'm open to positive criticism.

The first of these is the Chennai Byepass Road from Perungalathur to Puzhal. The road has 6 entry/exit points over a distance of 32 kilometres and includes all kinds of vehicular traffic right from 2 wheelers to Multi Axle vehicles.

In this road, I would like to take one specific section the one from Perungalathur to Porur. But it can very well be applied to the other end (from Ambattur to Puzhal) with the same results.

In this first section, over a distance of nearly 19 KMs, you have no option but to stay on the road once you get on it. No U turns or exits and hence I consider this section to be access controlled.

The section of the road passes through a few important areas but none of them have an offramp, hence no local traffic. Still, you will find 2 wheeler riders on this stretch, however on the 3 lanes for one side of traffic, these riders will hug themselves to the leftmost lane and are hardly an impedance to other road users (these are mostly commuter motorcyclists). Faster motorcyclists use the other 2 lanes and act like cars viz, use the right lane for overtakes and the middle lane for cruising. Ofcourse, you have errant 2 wheeler riders, but then you have errant car users too and i strongly believe the ratio is similar and hence these people should be labelled errant road users and not based on their vehicles of choice. On this stretch of road, I have hardly noticed any accidents despite speeds averaging around Expressway speeds.

For the other side of the argument, let's take the NH45 that goes all the way from Chennai to Kanyakumari, for purposes of this discussion let us limit ourselves to the 50KM radius around Villupuram. You will notice multiple villages doting the highway in this stretch. This is the non access controlled highway.

You will notice multiple 2 wheelers (mostly commuter types) driving on the wrong side of the road, without a helmet and almost always having 2 pillion riders and crossing the road by riding on the median. You will also notice tractors driving on the wrong side of the road and cattle grazing on the median. These people are those who are commuting between 2 villages and save time and a visit to the mechanic for broken suspension (and a doctor for a broken back) by avoiding panchayat roads which are almost always worsely maintained and cattle who just want to have a good meal. I have myself when I am riding a motorcycle and driving a car abused at these individuals out of frustration. With time. I learnt to slow down in these areas and be hyper vigilant about sudden movements through the greenery on the median.

By this, I am able to understand that access control (by this I mean eliminating entry/exits and banked roads which make it difficult for cattle to enter) is all that matters and almost 85% of the problems mentioned here will disappear.

My understanding is that expressways are constructed in this way. Hence, why should motorcyclists not be allowed on them?

My puny 155cc motorcycle can easily keep up expressway speeds of any basic car.

I also found several wonderful suggestions for limiting access and the best of these to me was by raiuday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiuday View Post
This can be achieved by issuing FasTag wherein any two wheeler owner meeting the criteria could apply for the same, complete the kyc and get the tag.
Only those 2W with the tags can be allowed on expressways with no cash payment option..
By placing a toll booth at all entry/exits, this also eliminates local traffic to a great extent and is the most efficient way in my opinion. However, there may be several logistical issues that i as an average road user might not know, if any of you do know, please do share.

I believe that banning all 2 wheelers from EW is equivalent to banning alcohol just because people can drink and drive. That would be a knee jerk reaction wouldn't it?

Also, on the matter of 2 wheelers paying toll, I believe toll rates are decided based on the damage caused by the vehicle to the road surface, 2 wheelers in this regard are a very miniscule factor, and also unlike trucks/cars most 2 wheelers don't use the full stretch of the toll, how does that work?
Not that I wouldn't mind paying toll, but just putting my opinion forth.

Cheers,
Akaash
alphamike_1612 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2022, 22:34   #54
BHPian

Two wheelers should be allowed after:
1. Mandating that manufacturers declare a 0-130kmph acceleration curve (with standard payload).
2. Based on standardised performance testing data, quality each manufacturer models based on acceleration and top speed criteria
3. Issue fastag for two wheelers which qualify the above criterias.
4. All two wheelers who have fast tags.

Ideally same kind of regulation should be introduced for all kind of vehicles.

Because cubic centimetres and power figures doesn’t matter if the two wheeler can’t be accelerated as required.
gauravanekar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 11:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

Much have been said about slower two wheelers and to 'filter' them out. Conversely, the 'proper' motorcycles have also been observed putting their superior power and handling to good use, zig zagging their way around other vehicles at significantly higher relative speeds. Unlike high powered cars (who can't go unless they have a clear lane), their two wheeled brethren can pretty much make their own way; startling other vehicles in the process

Having recently experienced one such 'race' event on the highway around me, I am but convinced about keeping two wheelers off controlled access expressways
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 12:16   #56
BHPian

This discussion seems misled terribly to the point where even the poll options are suggesting borderline illegality.
The concerns were never about speeds/bhp, but more about safety of 2 wheelers.

Traditionally, a 2 wheeler is largely not seen as a high speed vehicle by our authorities.
Only in recent years has a speed of 80 kmph legalised for motorcycles anywhere in the country, before that it was 50 kmph. Source: https://www.financialexpress.com/ind...imits/1057327/

Yes dear enthusiast, you're doing it illegal if you ride above 80 on public road of any kind. (Ideally, in a non accusative tone, I should've written, Forgive me father for I have sinned, but ok, let's refrain)

80 kmph is something that a 100cc bike does with stress, and 70-60 kmph is still do-able(its a speed 'LIMIT', remember?). And mostly any bike above 150cc does 80 kmph easily so discussing power/cc is out of question.

Instead, riders wearing approved helmets and preferably full riding gears and committed to riding on the left lane only, should be allowed.
Left lane monitoring is far easier to prove on cameras than speeds... We all know that even a 2 megapixel cctv can detect a wrong lane rider, upto even 1 kms away.
Samarth 619 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2022, 20:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

I don't agree to this for a few reasons IMHO:
1. You know how cars drive on Expressways. Atleast I do on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
2. Expressways are not designed considering 2W traffic. So there is always an element of risk no matter how safe you think you ride.
3. Linked to the above point, let cars for once run without the headache of knocking a 2W! It won't do good either for cars or 2W if you open the Expressways for both.
4. Expressways are borriing! If you ride for pleasure, you won't pick the Expressway except when you are riding seriously long distances like to Ladakh! And that kind of makes the whole 2W population using Expressways regularly pretty miniscule. So there is no case for 2W on Expressway - linked to Point 2.
Old 6th December 2022, 21:33   #58
BHPian

Not necessarily, even cars/trucks that are capable of doing atleast 100 kmph end up doing 40-50 kmph in the middle or right lane and can cause accidents. I saw a Himalayan at 120 kmph in the right lane colliding with a slow moving Dzire in the middle lane while coming out of a curve. Granted he was in the wrong. At the same time, I was at 90 kmph in the middle lane, allowing faster bikes/cars to overtake me. The vehicles having lousy lane discipline should be tagged and prohibited from entering the Asian/national highways.
Old 6th December 2022, 23:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I don't agree to this for a few reasons IMHO:
1. You know how cars drive on Expressways. Atleast I do on the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
2. Expressways are not designed considering 2W traffic. So there is always an element of risk no matter how safe you think you ride.
3. Linked to the above point, let cars for once run without the headache of knocking a 2W! It won't do good either for cars or 2W if you open the Expressways for both.
4. Expressways are borriing! If you ride for pleasure, you won't pick the Expressway except when you are riding seriously long distances like to Ladakh! And that kind of makes the whole 2W population using Expressways regularly pretty miniscule. So there is no case for 2W on Expressway - linked to Point 2.
From my little time on Yamuna Expressway, I had some questions I couldn't understand:

2. I don't understand, expressway is just a smooth road, the most suitable for any bike out there.
How is its design a problem for 2W? and how is its design more suitable for 4W? Element of risk is there on every highway out there, how is expressway so radically different?

3. Err... Ok, so cars are the problem, how about banning cars and let only truckers and bikers rule? Well, just kidding. Don't mind please.
On a logical note, I'm sure most bikes occupy lesser space than a car and are hence, less likely to crash if they stay in their lane. A lane can be devoted to 2W, or not? Why is this a bad idea?

4. But if we really wish to ride on 2W for job reasons, meeting family, business reasons, etc. then is it ok to bring a 2W to expressway?
Majority of Indians are not hardcore bikers, they may have genuine reasons. Why not take the opportunity to educate them of lane discipline and riding gears, while also collecting toll from them?

Last edited by Samarth 619 : 6th December 2022 at 23:19.
Old 7th December 2022, 10:52   #60
Senior - BHPian

From the safety standpoint: I'd say NO. Reasons:

1 - Quality of these so called expressway(s). The amount of undulations noticed in car itself is such that if one loses control at high speeds, results are worse. Take these undulations on 2 wheelers at high speeds, results are far worse!

2 - Cars overspeeding will put 2 wheelers at risk and vice versa. Careless 2 wheelers will put themselves and the traffic at risk too.

3 - Government is advertising high speed expressways for cars to reduce overall trip time. This certainly is a risk I foresee because speeds will certainly be a weapon in most of the less skilled or overly enthusiastic drivers.

4 - Should I talk about stray dogs / cattles crossing out of no where? This is a big risk for 2 wheelers on expressways if they're not following speed limit.

No offense to anyone. This is my personal opinion from safety standpoint.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks