Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Will the introduction of GDLS improve road safety in India?
Yes 84 61.31%
No 53 38.69%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2022, 09:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Graduated Driver Licensing System (GDLS) | Urgently needed to improve Indian road safety

Needed: Yes
Does a similar system exist(learning+Final)? Yes
Can this system be bypassed? YES

If this system is implemented, will the commercial transport lobby be affected? YES

Last edited by 1.2TSI7DSG : 27th October 2022 at 09:13.
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:43   #32
BHPian

Re: Graduated Driver Licensing System (GDLS) | Urgently needed to improve Indian road safety

Very much essential but very difficult to implement at once, considering the scale of the requirement.

To make it easy, this needs to be done in phased manner starting from colony,area in a city,city,state etc.

Before going to the big picture, lets consider a hypothetical town with 100 people and all of them have some vehicle like a bike or a car etc. If all the 100 are trained, then the town will be having a 100% organized traffic. Assume, around 50 people who are not trained, had shifted to this town. Now the trained users percentage drops to 60% and it goes on declining, as a high number of untrained users start moving in.

So, to control it, rules must be made to make everyone adhere certain norms while driving in the town, so that all the population in a town adheres to certain standard.

Similar concept can be applied to our cities as well. Our cities are a melting pot of people from different areas, where there are different driving standards. To make our city traffic regular, we have to start with enforcing basic rules like Give Way sign at uncontrolled intersections to make people adopt to certain standard while driving in that area. When we have 100 such areas in a city and each area follow safe driving norms at a small scale, slowly we will have better organized traffic across the city.

Example, If I have to drive in an area X, I must adhere to these rules, that should be embedded in the minds.

Last edited by chaitanyakrish : 27th October 2022 at 11:44.
chaitanyakrish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:53   #33
BHPian

Voted No. Though the idea is good, implementation will not be possible. We already have far too many rules in place. But most of them aren't enforced properly.

1. Police look for violators only to mint money. That too they look for vulnerable common people. If the vehicle is above their pay grade, they won't bat an eye. Example is window tint. Alto with a lighter tint attracts fine while a Fortuner with pitch black tints are left alone.

2. Too many exception categories for all rules. If there is a rule in place, everyone should be asked to follow it. No matter the who the person is.

3. Lack of stricter enforcement authorities and authority's authority level.

4. "Chaltha hain. All they can do is fine us. I'll pay and will continue to break the rules till I get caught next time" attitude by the public. This should change.
TorqueSteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 11:56   #34
BHPian

What is needed first is standardization of traffic systems

1. Road lane markings to be clear including crossings at proper places
2. Fully functional Traffic lights with standards set on light intensity, height as well as people crossing traffic lights in metro city commercial areas
3. Strict implementation of existing traffic rules - lane adherence, vehicle fitness (esp older vehicles, commercial vehicles and trucks)

<other suggestions can be added>

Once this is set, only then should any driver license system be implemented
silvercloud is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 13:03   #35
BHPian

Voted NO.
Too complicated to be effective. For enforcement of even existing regulations, our police forces are hopelessly understaffed, under equipped and under trained.

Fact is, driving skills are not just personal, but cultural too. When you see bad behaviour being tolerated, you also learn what you can get away with. And when you see disciplined drivers all around, you adapt your own instincts accordingly. So I think we need more 'collective improvement techniques'.

As an example, many cities have started capturing traffic violations on camera and auto dispatching tickets. Step in the right direction. Perhaps the system can be made more visible - like showing an offending vehicle on a large display on a traffic stop. And larger fines & punishment for repeat offenders.

If we can also somehow improve our road infra (safe designs, less pot-holes, road signs, lane markings etc), it will go a longer way to ensure safety.

Am day dreaming though.
dust-n-bones is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 12:35   #36
BHPian

Voted NO.
Already we have enough of rules though for sake of making money/targets for traffic police. Please let us not complicate our lives. Everything will change when discipline in place.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 22:15   #37
BHPian

I was divided on the opinion, ultimately voted Yes.
I think a simple system must exist which must have a separate license system for high cc/output cars and bikes. Just about any 18 yr old riding the R1 to his death is not what we want to see (I know racers are younger mostly, but road riding requires different skills like judgment, anticipation, etc).

As of now, the existing system itself is too complex and encourages corruption so we'll have to be very practical with this. Otherwise, no is ok.
Samarth 619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2022, 12:13   #38
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

I voted Yes.

Even though there are million ways enforcement can be a challenge, I would still vote for it due to the merits.

Increased cautiousness required by newbie drivers in maintaining an active license and making experienced drivers wanting to better themselves to upgrade to the next higher class.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks