Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 12:14   #76
BHPian

Re: VW Taigun and Skoda Kushaq score 5 stars in Global NCAP’s updated crash tests

Great news that we have 5 stars rated cars in the 20 Lakh bracket apart from Tata and Mahindra here. Hope the same result is brought by Slavia and Virtus soon.
Vipin Kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 12:24   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Taigun and Skoda Kushaq score 5 stars in Global NCAP’s updated crash tests

Must admit, I had a smile on my face while driving to work today.

When I had booked my Kushaq, I knew it wont fare bad at the ratings, but never expected getting 5 stars, that too in the new rating system.

At the end of this month, my Kushaq will complete one year and close to 20,000 kms.

With no major issue faced, getting 900km plus in a full tank of gas, every single time. That too, with occasional spirited driving, I am really really happy with my purchase. I couldn't have asked for more.

ashutoshb is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 13:45   #78
BHPian

One more strong reason for me to stick to VAG cars. Have been driving the Polo for last 8 years, extremely happy and content so far. Panaromic Sunroof, Electric seat adjustment and other features can be added to 5 star rated car. But you can't convert a feature rich car with 3 star rating into a 5 star rated car. VW/Skoda need to proudly display this on every Taigun/kushaq with a classy 5* decal.

Last edited by RD150 : 15th October 2022 at 13:47.
RD150 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 15:04   #79
BHPian

This is good news for a VW fanboy like me. I am glad VW Skoda has not compromised on safety. Now I wish they would push up the interior finish quality a bit.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 15:08   #80
BHPian

Excellent news! Especially as I have just received my Virtus last week.
Since the platform is the same, can it be assumed that this test result also ensures the Virtus/ Slavia duo are also similar?
mak.prasada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 17:49   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Beg to differ my friend:
1.) There was no point in getting these ratings earlier or before launch because even if orders were there, semiconductor shortage was at its peak. Unfulfilled bookings and cancellations would have been bad.
2.) Initial days too many niggles which would have overshadowed safety aspects. Now the niggles are almost sorted the product is baselined so as step for next growth these ratings are at right time.
3.) Too many big real estate and feature rich cars were launching around the time of Taigun. Now initial euphoria for other cars is also settling down so right time to take the lead.
4.) VW/Skoda anticipated that first year sales would be primarily by fanboys and rating yes or no would not have impacted much of their buying decision. Anyways VW/Skoda were not ina position to meet demand as well.
Right, so my two cents.

1) As GTO pointed out in his post, Mahindra has used this data to its advantage, so I don’t see why VW would have not been able to reap that benefit.
Agree with the semi conductor shortage which hit every car maker, VW even more. However, once a customer believes in a product, he is willing wait until the last mile as in accept the delay. Eg XUV 700 / Thar.
2) I don’t know a car which we could say is niggle free even in the first couple of years after launch. XUV in its previous iteration struggled for a good period. Infact at times the strongest point will overshadow the niggles. So the crash test rating would have helped customers build the trust and ignore niggles till they were slowly ironed out. Let’s call it the Mahindra way.
3) Agree with other car launches, but that’s competition for you. Bring a good product to the table, market it well, and let the customer decide. As they say the right time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best is today.
4) I cannot comment on this data that first year sales would primarily be restricted to fanboys as it is very difficult to get that kind of information.

However, just the buzz this crash test has created in the forum since results are out, speaks volume of the confidence it has instilled in buyers.
I am sure the result would have tilted the scale towards VW from Hyundai/Kia.
Old_Salt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 22:41   #82
BHPian

VW Skoda its good news, shows they did not take chalta hai attitude at least in place where it mattered most ... SAFETY

Ironing out niggles and AC ISSUE if solved will spike up sales

Awaiting Slavia Virtus reaults.

Why couldnt they have wider vehicles? Space n smaller on road presence keeping them away from Koreans

But all in all if dealers and servoce centres behave pro consumer n no horror stories come out

VW Skoda will take on the Koreans easily.
sagsaw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 23:53   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to see the Taigun and Kushaq twins receive this recognition. I do think VAG should have tried to get the testing done at the time of launch. There was a lot of negativity around some issues like the fuel pump issues causing EPC errors for the Kushaq in the early days. The safety ratings being available at that time may have mitigated some of that impact and initial poor perception of quality and safety. Once an image is created at launch, it is difficult to correct it and the vehicles had not reached the projected sales volumes of the company because of this.

Now, with the Hyryder and Grand Vitara being launched, it is still a good time for VAG to make a splash about this safety win. The competitive landscape is about to get very crowded! The perceived build quality of the Toyota / Suzuki twins is not the greatest given the thin sheet metal etc. So the safety ratings are one good argument VAG sales people can take to customers to pull them into their tent
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 00:29   #84
BHPian

Take a bow, Skoda-Volkswagen! Full 5-star rating for both adults and children. That's some achievement. Kushaq-Taigun is the duo that India deserves, for all the love we have showered on Compact SUVs.

There are no perfect cars in any segment, but this would take these cars to the top of the list for the segment. The safest and The most fun-to-drive. The two top criteria for any enthusiast.
VinsWagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 04:20   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post

When I had booked my Kushaq, I knew it wont fare bad at the ratings, but never expected getting 5 stars, that too in the new rating system.

I had a similar sentiment. Was apprehensive about the safety aspect when dad cancelled the Rapid TSI in lieu of the Kushaq.

But he said only one thing - "The car is a Skoda. Not some Korean"
That was enough. I am glad his words turned out to be true one year down the line.
tanbeamer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 08:00   #86
BHPian

Good for Adult and fantastic for child protection.
India made means not India compromised.
Mahindra and Tata also deserves kudos for their attempt to publicize the safety awareness otherwise Maruti and Korean siblings would never bother. There is a change coming, Brezza being 4 star. Hope everyone has that awareness and bring change for good.

Well deserved claps for the VW group India
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:53   #87
BHPian

Excellent news!

By 2023, my Polo would be 8 years and prime for an upgrade into the next segment. With safety paramount for me and my family, now I have 4 safe cars to choose from assuming the Sedans also will fare well. Ideally, they should fare even better with all the extra absorption space at the front as well as back.

Contrary to many of you, I think it was a blessing in disguise that the crash ratings did not come along with the launch for the German duo. The fuel pump and EPC issues had spread like a wildfire and this safety rating would have drowned in between all those noises. Everyone would have commented, "What use of the crash rating if the vehicle itself is not moving!" and those comments would be worth justifying.

The timing is ripe now. All those EPC and fuel pump issues are long past in people's memory. The AC issue although serious is not a big deal for them in terms of noise in the digital world. the chip situation seems to have resolved at least for the time being for the VW group. And then there is Diwali! Let us see what they do.
RaghuVis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:50   #88
BHPian

I am thoroughly surprised and impressed.
After seeing all the talk about VAG cheaping out in all aspects of the car, I didn't think they would fare better than any of their competitors.

Another testament to the fact that we must not be too quick to judge. Let science run it's course

Good job VW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
Actually shame on us the buyers, for making them the top sellers. We shoot a good game when talking about safety but don't follow up with action.
Why can't we leave it at "to each their own"

For someone who spends all their time in city traffic and barely uses the car at high speeds, I think even I would pay more heed to the look and feel of the interior I am in.

For a family man with tall members of the family, I think a more spacious creta would be the car to get. The VAG twins are very cramped for most of us.

For a person who is busy and doesn't have the time/inclination to sit and follow up with fixes for niggles, the creta is the way to go. Peace of mind is above all for some people.

This is the problem with some enthusiasts, we can't be enthusiasts if it means shaming people who bought what is right for them.
viXit is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 13:00   #89
BHPian

We bought a Kushaq Active Peace for our dad this year. When buying, we were slightly perplexed because of the unknown safety ratings of the India made VAGs, but then, they are VAGs. Good to know that our 11 lacs investment is as safe a car as is sold in India currently.

We also added a Virtus GT in our stable a month back, and now I am sure, when tested, it will also score well in crash ratings.

P.S. When we discussed this with our extended family yesterday, there were comments about the Purvanchal Expressway crash - where a BMW crashed into a container trailer (allegedly at 200+ kmph) and all occupants unfortunately succumbed to their injuries. No matter how safe a car is, and no matter what the safety ratings are, always drive responsibly. There is a limit to what the car will withstand and there is a limit to what you can do as a driver to control your car at high speeds. Drive safe everyone!
acquillew is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 16:46   #90
BHPian

Feeling proud that I opted for Slavia in April which is based on the same MQB-A0-IN platform after cancelling an i20 Asta-O for my wife. I always knew that the build of VAG Mid-Size SUVs is better than the competition because VW would not want to break the streak of 5-star ratings over the last 4-5 years in Latin, Euro and ASEAN NCAP.

Ashish Gupta, Brand Director, VW India was quite confident of the good ratings during my Chakan, Plant visit last week where I was invited by VW's top management.

This definitely will boost sales by at least 10-15% if the parts shortage is sorted and deliveries take place faster. VW/Skoda should make hay while the sun shines otherwise if Hyryder/Grand Vitara will bring similar ratings in the coming 3-4 months, things will be square again as other mid-size SUVs already enjoy the reliable/resale tag.
Sunderdeep is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks