Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 15:54   #46
BHPian

Re: Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars

Thanks for exposing this. Really shocking how can Tucson score 0 stars at crease tests. I would have expected 4 starts at least.
Secondly there is no comparison between USA Tucson and this one or the one they sell in India. I have driven the Tucson in the US and the base model had 6 airbags, least to say the car was a Tank! The Bonnet took some real effort to lift and the sheet metal was thickest I have seen in cars.
This crash test also disappoints because it means there’s is no real benefit upgrading from Creta which basically has same rating.
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:09   #47
BHPian

Why should I give any benefit of doubt to Hyundai that Tucson sold in India is not the one sold in Latin market. Tucson is a global car and cost big money, there is no reason why Hyundai should offer different version in market segment. This is surely cost cutting & we as customer feel cheated.
That way I like all Europeans and even Americans as they do not differentiate. This is more with Asian manufacturer like Toyota, Hyundai & Honda. They feel that the third world countries like BRICKS need a built to cost and cheaper cars. No sir, we want equality and demand the same product & service as offered to European & American market.
It is sad to see this coming from Hyundai, who has almost become an Indian manufacturer.

Last edited by Wanderers : 2nd September 2022 at 16:10.
Wanderers is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 16:15   #48
BHPian

I don’t give 2 hoots, whether the India spec model is based on some GNCAP and that is based on something else.

Point is, Hyundai being a global brand, there has to be an end to this double standard. Having such cars being launched and sold actually shows the value these companies put on human life.
Yes there will be counter arguments about our own Maruti, and what value do they place.

My simple solution is to hit them where it hurts. Stop buying their products, and keep spreading the word.
If TATAs(punch) can do it, so can Maruti.

Is value of life in Europe or US much more than Asia/South America?

End of rant.
Old_Salt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 17:05   #49
GST
BHPian

These results from Latin NCAP indicate one of the following two scenarios: Either most manufacturers are fine cutting corners in their cars made for that market and don't car a hoot to these scores, or Latin NCAP has set standards so high that its scoring system might be doing damage to the reputation of NCAP itself. I find it very counter-intuitive to find that there is just one car in 2022 with a 5 star rating.
Old 2nd September 2022, 17:49   #50
BHPian

One huge thing people need to keep in mind when comparing Mahindra and Tata cars GNCAP score to this Tucson Latin-NCAP score is that GNCAP only gives ratings for adult and child protection.

So if you just compare that part of Latin-NCAP score then the 6 airbag Tucson is 5 star for adult protection and 4 star for child protection which is same as XUV 700 if I remember correctly.

Latin/Euro/Australian NCAP take the lowest star rating out of the 4 categories as the overall star rating whereas GNCAP only gives 2 separate ratings for adult and child protection without any overall ratings.

Even the testing methods vary a lot and I believe Latin-NCAP is much more in depth compared to GNCAP.

So people that are comparing this 3 star Latin-NCAP score to Mahindra and Tata cars GNCAP score please keep this in mind.

Ofcourse it is still disappointing that the car did not perform well in Latin-NCAP overall score but I am just trying to give some much needed perspective in regards to comparison with Indian cars GNCAP score.
koolkunz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 18:27   #51
BHPian

I really like the intensity and passion with which we are discussing this. Amazing!!!

My thoughts - there are 2 angles to the safety of vehicles being sold. I am limiting my views on India.

1. Legal angle:

Ask a question - Are manufacturers allowed to sell passenger vehicles in India without an NCAP like test and compliance?

Right now - answer is Yes. Even in other countries despite scoring ZERO, they are allowed to sell. So there is nothing legally stopping manufacturers from making profit by cutting cost at the expense of safety. So why would they not do it? (I am not justifying it, only stating the facts).

2. Economy:

India is country where people would ask a Ferrari - "Kitna Deti Hai?". People give a damn to safety. There is no awareness. If government makes 6 airbags mandatory and price increases - people hit the road shouting slogans against the government. When speed governor is mandatory, lorries across whole country goes on strike.

So these in conjunction create a vicious circle where there is no law and there can't be a law because of vote bank fear.

Most of the cars being advertised as 5 star safety are tested for GNAP which is far far more relaxed than Euro and Latin NCAP. I am not surprised if they score zero if tested there. Multiple cars released recently say - "We are sure we will score 5 star in NCAP" but they never actually test. So no transparency, it is only perception - not a real fact.

Main differentiator in tests like Latin NCAP are - Child and Pedestrian safety, Speed 60+ against 50+ KMPH.

Child safety - How many of us in India buy a child seat? We mostly fit 5 adults in a 4.5 seater (most of them, frankly! though sold as 5 seater) and put 3 children on their laps. Do we ever care for a moment? Then why would sellers care? I have also seen children being carried in the boot of some cars.

Pedestrian safety - This is like "Ye kis Chidiya ka naam hai?". We don't even have footpaths in many cities including our Metro cities. Whatever footpath is there even that is encroached by many variety of sellers or transformers or dug up all the time. Do we really care as a society? Never!!! How many of us don't stop our 2/4 wheelers on zebra crossing, honestly?

To be bothered by Latin/Euro NCAP scores - we have a long...long...long...long...long way to go as a country and as a society.

There are some indications of GOI coming up with our own standard BNVSAP. But whether it will make manufacturers mandatory to test and sell cars meeting some minimum stars ... to be seen.

We have seen cars cutting in to 2 halves and yet selling like hot cakes. We are like that...

Last edited by KrishKallapur : 2nd September 2022 at 18:44. Reason: Spelling correction
KrishKallapur is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 18:52   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishKallapur View Post
I really like the intensity and passion with which we are discussing this. Amazing!!!
There is much more activity on this thread than the main one

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrishKallapur View Post
Main differentiator in tests like Latin NCAP are - Child and Pedestrian safety, Speed 60+ against 50+ KMPH.

We have seen cars cutting in to 2 halves and yet selling like hot cakes. We are like that...
Totally agree. I would highly recommend people to download the detailed report and review sections of Latin NCAP and ANCAP and then take call on if you would still want to go ahead. Do not just look at the scores for each section. This is important for potential buyers to spend some time, so they know what they are getting into. From what I see in report, be it Australian variant tested or Latin one, both reports consistently call out stability of body shell. Have they cut corners in the body structure/sheet metal? I don't think so looking at both reports.

On a different note, I really like how these newer variations of NCAP are putting awareness and focus on active safety features. Yes, India is still faraway from having to use these systems to it's full potential but I feel things such as alerting drivers (even if taking action is disabled) in a potential collision situation, will definitely go a long way in keeping people much safer when driving on highways.

Last edited by neel911 : 2nd September 2022 at 18:54.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:00   #53
BHPian

I understand that Latin NCAP is not GNCAP and Latin-American spec Tucson might not be the one selling in India. But the history of Hyundai-Kia where Seltos and Creta are grace marked 3-star cars, for more than 20 lacs OTR, I think odds are in favor of Tucson being the unsafe vehicle.
But one thing is for sure Hyundai uses double standards for different types of markets.

Last edited by itsbaman : 2nd September 2022 at 19:02. Reason: Additional Information
itsbaman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 20:27   #54
BHPian

Latin NCAP is far stricter than the GNCAP. The below diagram should give an idea why Tucson got a 3-star rating.

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-tucson.jpg
The adult occupation score is 5-star, child occupant score is 4-star, and pedestrian protection is 5-star and Safety Assist is 3-star. The overall star rating is determined by the lowest of the 4 scores which is 3-star in this case.

Child occupant score is 4-star as the installation assessment of CRS (Child Restraint System) fails on the front seat. This is mostly because the car does not have a passenger airbag deactivation switch in which case a rearward-facing car seat cannot be installed.

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-tucson1.jpg

Safety assist rating of 3-star was mainly because of the following
  1. No rear seatbelt reminder.
  2. No ADAS systems - AEB, Lane support system, Blind spot system.
Point 1 is applicable to Indian Tucson as well but 2. is not applicable. as the Indian version of Tucson has a host of ADAS features covering all those needed by Latin NCAP and much more.

So in conclusion one looking to buy Tucson in India should not be overly worried about safety due to Latin NCAP rating.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd September 2022 at 07:39. Reason: As requested
Meph1st0 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 00:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

In spite of clarifications from many members on how different and more stringent the LATIN NCAP test is compared to the most basic GNCAP test we have here, there are still posts comparing the result to Indian GNCAP results and writing off the product, cancelling bookings, etc.

I am not Hyundai fan and I probably won't ever buy one but credit where credit is due. The individual scores are actually pretty good and the lower overall score is because ADAS is not standard on more variants which in all practicality has a very limited use case in India (as of now).

Sincere request to everyone, please read up before just looking at the headline and commenting.
fiat_tarun is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 01:01   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
I tend to disagree here. Send a base XUV700 model for Latin NCAP and I would not be surprised if it comes back with similar lower rating.

The Latin NCAP has not called out any issue on build quality of Tucson (be it 2 or 6 airbags). From their report: "Footwell area was rated as stable. The bodyshell was rated stable and it is capable of withstanding further loadings"

Let us be fair and do apples to apples comparison. Again, I would have agreed to all above comments for India spec Creta. This is for India Creta GNCAP report: "The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable."
Source: https://www.globalncap.org/s/SCfI202...-factsheet.pdf

As saying goes: "The devil is in details" and for Tucson, it seems to be working in opposite direction

My response was generally applicable to all Hyundai and Kia cars, not just the Tucson. The safety aspect of the vehicles they sell in India is nowhere close to those in the US, which I have observed in person.
Rajamass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 07:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajamass View Post
My response was generally applicable to all Hyundai and Kia cars, not just the Tucson. The safety aspect of the vehicles they sell in India is nowhere close to those in the US, which I have observed in person.
That would not be fair. We cannot be putting locally manufactured and CKD car in same bucket. Above statements are completely valid for say Venue or Creta but unless we get into specifics , I feel we cannot be generalizing safety aspects for cars in both buckets. I am not here to defend Hyundai and I feel pretty pissed to what they have done to Creta for Indian spec in terms of safety (surprisingly still sells in same numbers inspite of unstable body shell as called out in NCAP ).

That said, I totally understand perception of this brand and how most of population would not have time to get into specifics. No where outside this forum, I see so much analysis and that is benefit of this forum which helps buyer evaluate all details and take final call .
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 10:42   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
That would not be fair. We cannot be putting locally manufactured and CKD car in same bucket.
Actually, three different buckets - locally manufactured, CKD and CBU. We can't blindly trust CKD either to be according to international spec either - that's CBU territory.

CKD still leaves scope for manufacturers to customize some items for individual markets - though mostly just limited to minor stuff that dont require changes to child parts. MRF tyres on the Indian version, with just the spare wheel being Kumho. Even the petrol motor is India specific right - Korean market where we get kits from, use the 1.6 turbo petrol motor?

Where I would trust CKD is in having world-class quality components and plastics in comparison to locally sourced. My Indian Hyundai experience is that it is delicate darling to maintain in the long run (Those with the original generation of cars - Santro, i10 and i20 will disagree and rightfully so!). That wont be an issue with a CKD Hyundai like the Tucson.

Outside of Hyundai - one famous example was the Ford Endeavor which was reported to have a missing K-Truss on the Indian version, mostly because our market didn't need towing requirements. But then - structural components are hard to mess around with on monocoque vehicles like the Tucson.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd September 2022 at 10:49.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 13:07   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My Indian Hyundai experience is that it is delicate darling to maintain in the long run (Those with the original generation of cars - Santro, i10 and i20 will disagree and rightfully so!).
That's true. First generation Verna in 2007 was like a tank on the road. Then I bought an I20, it was a delicate darling, definitely. Within first year, the mat in the boot, door knobs, AC vent adjuster knobs - all came apart. Steering mount control connector malfunctioned in 2 years. Had to frequently change Brake disks.

Hope Tucson will not be like that.
Old 3rd September 2022, 13:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Some truly informative posts here that explain how various NCAP ratings differ! And two things now that immediately come to mind if someone like me who has been following automobiles all his life found this thread an eyeopener:

1. 90% of people form an opinion immediately on reading a news article that ZERO rated car is unsafe.

They do not take the trouble to educate themselves and understand the methodology of the rating let alone differences between LNCAP, AuNCAP, GNACP etc.

2. Hyundai is selling a 40+ lakh car in India and letting people form negative opinions.

Even if the car is actually safe and not as bad as what people think of when they see "3 Stars" only, why not simply get their A-game in terms of equipment for this crazy price and build a positive opinion? Or if that's too late, like most said, at least do something immediately to allay the concerns. People are already talking about cancelling their booking.

I would assume that anyone who buys a 40+ lakh Hyundai is going to do a "little" research and this 3Stars are going to stick out like a sore-thumb. This is not a Merc that people will simply go buy cause the badge itself is something to show off and somehow makes you feel assured of a bare minimum standard (though it may not actually be) that's much higher than other brands!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 3rd September 2022 at 13:12.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks