Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars

This looks like a student failing an exam because the syllabus/pattern was changed unexpectedly I doubt that's the case with safety norms as the industry is very well aware of the present and future norms!

I cannot but give a benefit of doubt to what is undoubtedly a global model from Hyundai (I do not trust designed for India models from OEMs yet). It is unlikely that they would do something so suicidal

Sometimes activating a very simple feature (already embedded) magically transforms the rating by leaps and bounds, especially the 'zero' cases

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 2nd September 2022 at 09:27.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:00   #32
Senior - BHPian

All the more power to Mahindra, for delivering a product that’s far more superior in build quality, engine performance & features - XUV7OO!!

Hyundai, if you’re reading this thread, just so you know, you SUCK for taking lives of customers for granted for a car costing close to half a crore rupees!
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:05   #33
BHPian

I am not familiar with the differences between various NCAP procedures but a score of 0 for a mid-size SUV with some premium price is shocking. Yes the score is for the base variant but still unacceptable performance.

Hyundai and Kia make much safer cars for the European and the North American market. But for the Latin American and South Asian countries, why they are so disrespectful?
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
All the more power to Mahindra, for delivering a product that’s far more superior in build quality, engine performance & features - XUV7OO!!

Hyundai, if you’re reading this thread, just so you know, you SUCK for taking lives of customers for granted for a car costing close to half a crore rupees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajamass View Post
I am not familiar with the differences between various NCAP procedures but a score of 0 for a mid-size SUV with some premium price is shocking. Yes the score is for the base variant but still unacceptable performance.

Hyundai and Kia make much safer cars for the European and the North American market. But for the Latin American and South Asian countries, why they are so disrespectful?
I tend to disagree here. Send a base XUV700 model for Latin NCAP and I would not be surprised if it comes back with similar lower rating.

The Latin NCAP has not called out any issue on build quality of Tucson (be it 2 or 6 airbags). From their report: "Footwell area was rated as stable. The bodyshell was rated stable and it is capable of withstanding further loadings"

Let us be fair and do apples to apples comparison. Again, I would have agreed to all above comments for India spec Creta. This is for India Creta GNCAP report: "The bodyshell was rated as unstable and it was not capable of withstanding further loadings. Footwell area was rated as unstable."
Source: https://www.globalncap.org/s/SCfI202...-factsheet.pdf

For Tucson, what we are getting here is CKD.

As saying goes: "The devil is in details" and for Tucson, it seems to be working in opposite direction

Last edited by neel911 : 2nd September 2022 at 11:27.
neel911 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:37   #35
Team-BHP Support

I am glad that the NCAP results are out before deliveries have started. Customer can choose not to buy an expensive & unsafe car at this price point.
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaurougeatSpa View Post
Here is a quick snapshot from the brochures of the Tucson sold in India Vs Australia and the safety features which are being offered.

For example the seatbelts do not have load limiters in india, top tether child anchors are missing
Actually the car sold in India definitely has the top-tether mounts. Here's a photo from the Team-BHP official review with the top-tether mounts marked. Don't know why Hyundai India missed adding another 'feature' to their brochure .

Latin NCAP: 2022 Hyundai Tucson scores 0 stars-hyundai_tucson_toptether.jpg
lordrayden is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:02   #37
BHPian

It is disappointing to see a bunch of ignorant replies to this thread...something unexpected from a forum like TeamBHP. People are quick to give the benefit of doubt to Indian manufacturers whenever they get an opportunity without delving into details.
A similar test was performed on the previous gen Tucson and it had also scored zero on the Latin NCAP test. It was later clarified that the results do not apply to the version sold in India.
umairalvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I am glad that the NCAP results are out before deliveries have started. Customer can choose not to buy an expensive & unsafe car at this price point.
What about the other 2 NCAP where Tucson has scored 5*?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umairalvi View Post
It is disappointing to see a bunch of ignorant replies to this thread...something unexpected from a forum like TeamBHP. People are quick to give the benefit of doubt to Indian manufacturers whenever they get an opportunity without delving into details.
A similar test was performed on the previous gen Tucson and it had also scored zero on the Latin NCAP test. It was later clarified that the results do not apply to the version sold in India.
It seems we have 2 camps. One (including me) who has not cancelled the booking and trying to have better understanding of the 3 NCAP results to make the final call before taking delivery and other which is just looking at headline and ignoring the other 2 previous NCAP ratings and seem to be putting Tucson in same bucket as India spec Creta.

Yes, it would have helped if Hyundai India would have come out and commented on this topic but in absence of the same, best we can do is look at facts and focus on specifics.

Last edited by neel911 : 2nd September 2022 at 12:32.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 12:40   #39
BHPian

I am assuming that Hyundai sells the same version in the Middle East. I thought this would be the reason that they are able to undercut Mazda CX-5 and Toyota Rav4 by a significant margin.
lionheart_mm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post

Yes, it would have helped if Hyundai India would have come out and commented on this topic but in absence of the same, best we can do is look at facts and focus on specifics.
Hyundai would not want to shoot in its foot. In an effort to defend the a low numbers Tucson that the rating is not applicable for India models or the parameters of Latin NCAP, they will be opening a can of worms on India model Creta and others performing badly.

On another note, I think all are matured enough to see the priorities that they have and pick the car they want based on their requirements.

Last edited by sunikkat : 2nd September 2022 at 13:18.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:17   #41
BHPian

It's a couple of days since these results are out. Hyundai has (had) time and opportunity to clarify their position and comment on why/how the India-spec is a higher safety rated car. In the absence of any comment from Hyundai, people will make their own judgement and as with most things, there will end up at least two camps with opposite viewpoints.

This is not to say one is more right than the other, but we as buyers have to make our own call on how comfortable we are with this situation and if it makes sense to still buy the Tucson. Some will be fine with it and go ahead based on other safety ratings and others will continue to be convinced it is not as safe as it is made out to be.

End of the day, I feel as an individual buyer, we have to look at all the info available, seek clarifications where needed and live with the decision. External validation is not going to help much.

Personally I am just disappointed that as a large India OEM didn't bother to clarify the last time the ratings were announced and even now are silent. While there is no expectation that they need to react to each and every statement in public, safety ratings of their cars is something they should definitely have a active say in and control the narrative. Now it seems to be an approach of - this is the car and the (inflated) price, you can do your homework and buy if you like.

I will mostly not go ahead with this one...
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:36   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Hyundai would not want to shoot in its foot. In an effort to defend the a low numbers Tucson that the rating is not applicable for India models or the parameters of Latin NCAP, they will be opening a can of worms on India model Creta and others performing badly.
Absolutely agree with the above.

Let's not forget - Hyundai has the worst results in GNCAP tests across most segment, with even Maruti bettering them - especially in the higher segments. They will be shooting themselves in the foot trying to defend here. The negative PR stirred up regarding other products in the comments sections will be more than the positive effect on the Tucson.

A '0' is something people dont forget easily. With memers having a field day - only owners and hardcore enthusiasts are going to cross check and investigate the minute details (which show the Tucson is actually a safe car, especially in the Indian context).

Most social media users will remember only the 0, and wont bother to read more. Most general public wont even care about the rating. This will hurt the general image of the Tucson, but it was anyways going to be sell in small flagship numbers - so not much loss eitherways for Hyundai.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:44   #43
BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
Apples and oranges.

The car sold in Latin America is not the same as the one sold in Europe which is not the same as the one sold in India

Latin-NCAP is not the same as Euro-NCAP (might be similar) which is not the same as GNCAP.

So the 3 star Latin-NCAP CAN NOT directly translate to a 3 star GNCAP.

The Tucson sold in India is much closer (from a safety features point of view) to the Euro spec version than the Latin spec version. So if one is hypothetically approximating a non-GNCAP rating to the India spec Tucson, shouldn’t it be the Euro-NCAP 5 star rating rather than the Latin-NCAP 3 star rating?
Fair point if true. However how can I be assured if I am getting an apple or orange. Also that tells me that the manufacturer is happy to cut corners on safety and it is not on their priority list. I'll personally pass and hope that more people do this to make the OEMs realize the importance of safety. Just this week we learned that 1 person dies every 3 minutes on Indian roads. Surely we need to get better driving behavior and roads, but we also need safer cars.
xrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 15:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
What about the other 2 NCAP where Tucson has scored 5*?

It seems we have 2 camps. One (including me) who has not cancelled the booking and trying to have better understanding of the 3 NCAP results to make the final call before taking delivery and other which is just looking at headline and ignoring the other 2 previous NCAP ratings and seem to be putting Tucson in same bucket as India spec Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
On another note, I think all are matured enough to see the priorities that they have and pick the car they want based on their requirements.
I don’t think it really matters how many camps there are.
The purpose of this forum is just this, to put out information which is available in public domain and help prospective buyers make an informed decision. Wether the buyer goes into the details or not is their call, after all it’s their money that is being put to use. Echo what Sunil has to say here.
In general, as an automotive country which is consuming at such a high rate, I just wish there is more emphasis on safety both from the seller and buyer (not specifically talking about Tucson). A safer world is advantageous to all.

Last edited by EaurougeatSpa : 2nd September 2022 at 15:15.
EaurougeatSpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 15:16   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 Hyundai Tucson Review

Quote:
New Tucson 2022
2 airbag: 0 star

6 airbag: 3 star
So Second Best Selling manufacturer in India can't dish out one model that can even come close to a 5* Safety rating.

I honestly feel that if TATA can iron out quality issues that many owners report, "Sensible" people will eventually stop buying the Maruti's and Hyundai's in India.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks