Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 20:02   #1
BHPian

Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head

I survived a terrible accident while visiting my native place. Here is the chronology of events:

The entire family of 5 people were traveling to our farm located near a small village near Solapur for Celebrating Eid. We were driving down in my Tigor from Navi Mumbai, we left post midnight on 9th July for the 450km one way drive. We almost undertake one visit per month so it is a regular affair where 70% driving is done by me and 30% by dad.

We reached our village at around 11 am and on reaching my village we noticed my sister was running fever, hence we decided to halt at the village. Me, my wife and my sister got down to visit a doctor, the doctor advised on administering glucose hence asked my father and mom to proceed to the farmhouse which is 7 km away and come back to pick us up after few hours. It was raining heavily on that day and out of the 7 km road to my farmhouse, 4km is pure dirt track. Due to very heavy rains the road was not usable for a car, dad had somehow managed to get the car till our home but said that he cannot bring it back to the village. In such a situation we generally rely on the 3 wheeler diesel Ape auto which our farm care taker owns, these Ape which we also call as ‘Tumtum’ are like the sasta (cheap) off/dirt road alternative in our region especially during monsoon to bring goods and labors to and fro our farm to the village in bad road conditions.

So the Tumtum arrived by 2 pm, me, my wife and my sister left for the farm house. The route to our farmhouse consists of one kilometre of National highway which acts as a bypass to Solapur city for vehicles travelling from Pune-Solapur highway to Vijapur, this road has dense heavy vehicle traffic. In a few minutes of beginning our journey it started pouring cats and dogs, I was sitting to the extreme right, my sister in the middle and my wife to the extreme left. I realize that visibility is very bad and ask the driver to take another route, and then turn towards my sister to see if she is fine. Just at that moment all I hear is a huge bang sound and something crashing into my head, and the next moment I remember myself on a stretcher in hospital, in between I have a faint memory of seeing my wife for a fraction of a second, and getting onto a motorcycle. Apart from that I do not have any memory of what happened. Later my wife told me that I got out of the mangled auto on my own, walked towards her, that’s when she saw a deep gush in my head and my clothes were completely drenched in blood, she held the wound tight in order to stop blood flow and in the meanwhile I spotted 2 men on a bike and indicated them to stop, they made me sit in between them and took me to the hospital I walked up in to the hospital till the casualty ward till the stretcher and lay on it on my own, again all this is told to me by the people who were there, but there is absolutely no visuals or register of this in my memory.

Our 3 wheeler had crashed head on with a steel deck being carried on a trailer which was projecting almost 8 feet on either side. A bolero which was ahead of us made a quick maneuver to avoid the steel deck but as it was raining heavily our driver could not see the deck and drove straight into it. There were no blinkers or flags on the projecting portion. The upper half of our 3 wheeler was completely crumpled and the post the impact the 3 wheeler travelled 10-15 feet below the projecting deck and then came to a halt. Luckily my wife, sister and the driver had only a few minor bruises but me being 6.2 feet was sitting at a much higher position and my head took severe impact. The accident happened right next to the Tehsil government hospital hence I was attended within few minutes of the accident, and bleeding could be stopped or else things could have been worse, I was then forwarded to a bigger hospital in Solapur.

Things could have been much worse but I survived without any fractures to the skull or any internal bleeding in the brain. All I had were 3 deep cuts on my head which cumulatively amounted to 15 centimeters. On 10th July I underwent surgery where they stitched the cuts and a part of my dangling skin into place, later I got a discharged on 14th July. The entire family is still in a phase of shock but god’s grace that today I am back to normal.

By the way I always drive down to my farmhouse in my car, but call it a coincidence that it was probably after 5-6 years that I was taking the 3 wheeler to my home and the accident happened.

One of the most important thing I did during the process of being given first aid was not to panic, keep calm and keep speaking, I did not want to lose consciousness. The moment I gained hold of what is happening around me at the govt. hospital near the accident spot, I started talking to the medical staff telling them my details, health vitals and allergies. The right side of my face had gone numb for half an hour, but then by the time we reached a bigger hospital in Solapur sensation on the right side of face was back.

The doctors said that I did not lose consciousness at any point and the loss of memory or non-registering of visuals during first 3 minutes is because of the shock, the fact that I walked out of the 3 wheeler and made my way to the hospital was an indication that my brain was functioning well. Pre and Post-surgery scans confirmed that things were alright.

We did not pursue any legal procedures and asked the police to close the case as proceeding with the case would have resulted in a long drag and our auto guy who is also our domestic help and caretaker would have been dragged in.

My wife jokes now it seems I should wear a helmet in 3-wheelers too . In fact in 2013 when I had a severe accident on my bullet the helmet saved me as my head had impacted the road at almost 80 kmph.

Here are the pictures:
Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220727-5.01.45-pm-2.jpeg

Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220727-5.01.45-pm-1.jpeg

Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220727-5.01.45-pm.jpeg

Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220727-5.01.44-pm.jpeg

You can see the distance this auto has travelled after colliding.
Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220714-9.25.30-am.jpeg

That's my Tigor to the extreme right of the picture, dad and family arrives at the accident spot. At this point, my dad thought I am no more, in fact many people from my village after looking at the accident, thought that there are casualties.

Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220714-9.25.21-am.jpeg

Truck's extra-wide load smashes off our rickshaw's roof & hits me in the head-whatsapp-image-20220714-9.24.40-am.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 27th July 2022 at 20:51. Reason: Spacing
ArTigor is offline   (218) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post
I survived without any fractures to the skull or any internal bleeding in the brain. All I had were 3 deep cuts on my head which cumulatively amounted to 15 centimeters. On 10th July I underwent surgery where they stitched the cuts and a part of my dangling skin into place, later I got a discharged on 14th July.
Mother of lord! Those images look straight out of a Final Destination movie, man! Glad you (and your family members) survived this. Truly, a second life.
Gannu_1 is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 22:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I survived a terrible accident while visiting my native place. Here is the chronology of events:
Glad to know that you are well post such a horrific crash. Get well soon and back to driving.

How are such loads allowed on roads? Everyone in administration is to be blamed.

I've always hated travelling in a 3 wheeler, had an accident in Delhi in 2001. Thankfully escaped unscathed.
BoneCollector is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 23:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I survived a terrible accident while visiting my native place... ... ... Our 3 wheeler had crashed head on with a steel deck being carried on a trailer which was projecting almost 8 feet on either side.
That load is absolutely criminal. Horrific!

It's amazing and really wonderful that you came out of such an accident alive, let alone relatively safe.

Thank you for the detailed description of what must be a painful day to remember.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 07:19   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Due to very heavy rains the road was not usable for a car, dad had somehow managed to get the car till our home but said that he cannot bring it back to the village. In such a situation we generally rely on the 3 wheeler diesel Ape auto which our farm care taker owns, these Ape which we also call as ‘Tumtum’ are like the sasta (cheap) off/dirt road alternative in our region especially during monsoon to bring goods and labors to and fro our farm to the village in bad road conditions.
So sorry to hear of your incident glad that you are okay but I do wish you had pressed charges against the operator of that truck. Especially considering you had images also it is a pretty open and shut case against him for carrying goods illegally.

Also, I simply cannot imagine a scenario of heavy rains and poor roads that an auto can traverse yet somehow your Tigor cannot. I have observed many people babying their cars way too much in the rains. Once got held up in a jam because some interior road had knee deep water on it but my Kizashi (with 155mm ground clearance) went through with no hiccups while Fortuners, Innovas and even an electric Nexon blocked the road taking u-turns.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th July 2022 at 07:21.
IshaanIan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 08:25   #6
BHPian

ArTigor, thank god you are safe.

Steel transport is a big problem in our country. People do not rent adequate sized vehicles and authorities turn a blind eye.

Almost 14 years back, my friend and colleague had run my wagon R into TMT bars dangling from the back of a truck protruding almost 8 feet beyond the truck body in similar circumstances. Again in Maharashtra. Again thankfully the passengers were safe.
chinkara is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
So sorry to hear of your incident glad that you are okay but I do wish you had pressed charges against the operator of that truck. Especially considering you had images also it is a pretty open and shut case against him for carrying goods illegally.
Yes, you should have pressed charges. But there are even bhpians who turn a blind eye to such trucks. In a thread about a thar with a bullbar being fined, one person was defending unsafe trucks and JCBs with the reasoning that they are doing a service to the nation. When will that mentality change?

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2022 at 09:31. Reason: Your post has been split, as ArTigor's post has been moved to a new thread.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Our 3 wheeler had crashed head on with a steel deck being carried on a trailer which was projecting almost 8 feet on either side. A bolero which was ahead of us made a quick maneuver to avoid the steel deck but as it was raining heavily our driver could not see the deck and drove straight into it. There were no blinkers or flags on the projecting portion.
Here are the pictures:
Attachment 2339161
Thank God you are with us here to tell the tale!

As the commercial vehicle is from Rajasthan, and you are in Maharashtra, it is very much possible that they transported the goods like this from outside state.
I find the apathy of our cops despicable, that they did not stop this driver and the owner!
turbospooler is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
trailer which was projecting almost 8 feet on either side.
Absolutely horrifying. Glad you made it out with minimal injuries. Wish you a speedy recovery.

I've spotted such trailers with objects protruding out sideways far too often of late. It is disgusting how this is allowed to ply on our roads while RTO and Police turn a blind eye.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Also, I simply cannot imagine a scenario of heavy rains and poor roads that an auto can traverse yet somehow your Tigor cannot. I have observed many people babying their cars way too much in the rains. Once got held up in a jam because some interior road had knee deep water on it but my Kizashi (with 155mm ground clearance) went through with no hiccups while Fortuners, Innovas and even an electric Nexon blocked the road taking u-turns.
The Ape autorickshaws have 240mm ground clearance. They'll keep plying on flooded roads long after most cars have given up. Plus I think auto interiors tolerate water better due to them being designed to be used with open sides in questionable weather.

If the water is knee deep, then I'd vote for turning around as well unless I'm driving something that's designed for water wading. Water level can easily top the floor level of most cars at that height. Plus one needs to account for the wake generated by other vehicles, which can add half a feet or more and swamp the engine or electricals.
SlowRider is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:27   #11
BHPian

Hi ArTigor,

There was someone looking over you that day mate. Glad to hear that you are safe and well.

I've lost an acquaintance in a similar incident. You were very lucky. Have a wonderful life ahead.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:02   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
The Ape autorickshaws have 240mm ground clearance. They'll keep plying on flooded roads long after most cars have given up. Plus I think auto interiors tolerate water better due to them being designed to be used with open sides in questionable weather.
Just a quick google returned results that show an Ape's airbox to be under the rear body next to the silencer that's literally lower than most cars (unless you're running some aftermarket cold air intake). Also I feel it is some flawed logic to think that the auto being open on both sides means that its interiors can somehow tolerate water better. Have you seen the metal used? Have you compared it with what cars use? There are literally no anti-rust properties or coatings on an Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
If the water is knee deep, then I'd vote for turning around as well unless I'm driving something that's designed for water wading. Water level can easily top the floor level of most cars at that height. Plus one needs to account for the wake generated by other vehicles, which can add half a feet or more and swamp the engine or electricals.
Knee deep water plus a foot added for wake is still lower than the airbox on most vehicles. I'd wager that any car under 30 lacs in our market can wade through without a fuss. It is a shame to see SUV owners unaware of where their airbox is located.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th July 2022 at 14:10.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oh My!

You surely are lucky to live to tell this tale. ok, you have not taken any legal action, but at the least the truck company should reimburse all the expenses for you and the autorickshaw guy. I just can't imagine it was loaded like this . looking at the dimensions of the haul, if it was turned 90degrees, probably the extent of projection outside the truck would've been less!
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:51   #14

one word of advice to my dear bhpians, while travelling alone in rickshaw/3 wheeler always make it a habit to sit in the middle of the seat. Doing so in the event of some mishap will certainly give you some space & time to gather yourself & mitigate the impact.
fnftech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 14:53   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Man! That is a gruesome accident. I guess the pouring rain, inadequate visibility of the tuktuk driver resulted in him not noticing the protrusion. That protrusion is criminal especially on 2 lane undivided roads.

I suggest, next time take the tigor, it is more than capable of handling a foot deep water since the air intake is situated bang on to top of the engine bay. As long as you do not have a large vehicle coming in the opposite direction creating a bow wave, the water will be well below the intake.

I know I am talking in retrospective. But you got, your wife and sister got a new lease of life and you might encounter such situations in future as well. Hence the suggestion. May the almighty bless you and your family
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks