Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 09:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Mechanical stack parking failure | Upper deck falls on Kia Seltos below

This is one of the things I worry about.

In my older job at UB city in Bangalore, we had a 3 level parking. It used to be super tough to get in or out.. as I had a Chevy Beat at that time, it was manageable. However a Honda city would have struggled. I remember once my car was stuck on the highest level and the guy in the mid level has parked his car wrong. It took me 45 mins to get hold of the guy , make him park the car correctly and get my car down.

More recently we have changed our office building and the new one has two level car park. Again approach is a pain with just a few Cms either side of my Nexon.

Unfortunately in crowded buildings there seems to be no way out.
Old 27th July 2022, 09:53   #17
BHPian

Not sure how they confirmed if the car did not have any structural damage due to compression on the roof. Hopefully Kia is built well.

On another note, I always find the skill of our new age drivers lacking in tight parking situations. I am sure most would fail in parallel parking too.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

The best way to park car on stack parking is to reverse park the car.

That way you can use the ORVM to position can correctly knowing how much space is on the either sides.

Poor maintenance is cause for these failures and public utility services are always ill maintained.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:14   #19
BHPian

People here are talking about stack parking failures in a country where lift failure is common. Even lifts of reputed manufacturers have failed killing and injuring people. One lift failed just after a maintenance service was completed. I remember this because a MNC employee was gravely injured. But the internet seems to have been scrubbed of this news. I think it was Oracle and Kone/Otis, but I couldn't find anything on the internet to confirm this. Life is cheap, a few cars getting damaged is a non event.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
The best way to park car on stack parking is to reverse park the car.

That way you can use the ORVM to position can correctly knowing how much space is on the either side
Surprisingly this is not allowed at least in my office car parking. Does someone have any idea why? In case of a fire isn't it easier to drive out when parked in reverse? Not sure why this is not allowed.
Old 27th July 2022, 14:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Surprisingly this is not allowed at least in my office car parking. Does someone have any idea why? In case of a fire isn't it easier to drive out when parked in reverse? Not sure why this is not allowed.
The shape of the platform, is designed in such a way that once the car is parked in place, it will not roll off the platform even due to its weight, which is usually more on the front for mass market cars.

The entry point of the platform is like a wedge to enable smooth roll on to the platform and the other end has a small bump over which the front tyres will pass confirming that the car has been parked safely. This ensures that the car will not roll of the platform, however if parked in reverse, the front wheels will be on (or very close to) the slope of the wedge and front being heavy, may cause the vehicle to roll in case parking brake is not engaged or not properly engaged or does not have enough strength to hold the car on a slope or some other reason. The upper platform is exclusively for small and lighter cars.

The other variant of this parking is called "Puzzle Parking" and in this case there are multiple cars stacked on a cage which rotates on an axis. This type of parking is not suitable for larger vehicles or big and heavy SUVs.

The maker's instructions will have the information about suitability of these parking spaces for the type of vehicles with weight and size limitations mentioned clearly.

The commercial sector is using these equipment to maximise space utilisation, however strict adherence to procedures is usually overlooked.

Likelihood of such incidents in private parking lots is quite less.
Brumby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Not sure how they confirmed if the car did not have any structural damage due to compression on the roof. Hopefully Kia is built well.
The doors worked properly. So hopefully all is well..
Old 28th July 2022, 11:47   #23
BHPian

I am a person with OCD to pick out a spot in a parking area that has the least probability to encounter an idiot with zero driving skill for the fear of scratch or a dent. Honestly I have a strong dislike to this system of lift parking. So many ugly metallic surfaces that you can nick your car into. Multiple mechanical failure points (my doubts are now confirmed after reading this thread). Ultra cramped entry and exit that requires pro maneuvering skills. On top of that you need to hand over your key to the attenders, giving you border line anxiety the whole time, until you are back to pick it up.
Old 28th July 2022, 12:57   #24
BHPian

I went for a meeting in Aerocity (Delhi) and client's building had multilevel parking (did not check the OEM even though I was working on a project with OEM of multilevel parking ) and it was a nightmare to park my car in this as there was literally no margin of error.

It was also impossible to make a perpendicular entry since there was no space in the front either and I do consider myself decently skilled (have done very difficult parking maneuvers in hills). I decided to just take a cab next time I had to visit same client. So failure or not, I would avoid these parking.
Old 31st July 2022, 07:32   #25
rsk
BHPian

A couple of our office buildings have the same type of parking and every time I have to go to one of these offices I just get totally uncomfortable. Given a choice, I avoid going to these offices, just because of the parking. The early birds are allowed to park outside of this multi-level mechanics in the regular one-car-one-slot parking. I'm an early bird in general, but I make it a point to start even more early on just so that I get one of the regular slots! Just can't seem to get used to these multi-slot/multi-level parkings.
Old 27th October 2022, 19:09   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Hiranandani has installed several of these stack parking slots in their Thane properties and they are an absolute nightmare to park in!
These stack parkings are absolutely useless.

The person who shares his parking space #76 with 2 of our’s found that the stack had malfunctioned and his Honda City was not coming down, so essentially he was stuck without his car when needed.

The company that has installed these stack parkings in the housing society is Klaus.

If there’s an emergency and you need your car urgently, you’re screwed if this fails to move.

The Klaus team came the next morning to see what the issue was.

Mechanical stack parking failure | Upper deck falls on Kia Seltos below-474c5b6413434d1fb41a2233ac9787fb.jpeg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks