Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2022, 19:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent

Global NCAP is holding a conference with many other worldwide consumer safety programmes to discuss a road map for safer vehicles for 2030 and it includes a Latin NCAP car-to-car crash with a Hyundai Grand i10 sedan (sold in India as the Aura), Latin America's cheapest Hyundai sedan and made in India, against a Hyundai Accent, the cheapest Hyundai sedan sold in the USA.

Name:  Banner.png
Views: 833
Size:  412.2 KB

Motor1 Argentina: LatinNCAP crashed two Hyundais from different markets and denounced inequalities for Latin America

Quote:
Global NCAP presented the result of its latest "auto to car" test to demonstrate the double standard in vehicle safety that varies depending on the market where a vehicle is marketed. In this case, the body collided with a Hyundai Grand i10 sedan, sold in Mexico, against a Hyundai Accent sold in the United States, taking as a parameter that both models are the cheapest sedans offered by the manufacturer and that consumers can buy in their respective countries.

The Hyundai Accent, produced in Mexico for the United States market, is offered with 6 airbags and Electronic Stability Control (ESC) as standard equipment. The Grand i10 model, produced in India for the Mexican market and other Latin American and Caribbean countries, is equipped with two airbags and without ESC.

The protection offered by the Accent to its driver during the crash test was good and the model showed a stable structure. The Grand i10 showed unstable structure and poor protection for the driver, with a high probability of life-threatening injuries. The Hyundai sold in Mexico would have obtained a zero-star rating in the Latin NCAP tests.

Alejandro Furas, Secretary General of Latin NCAP, commented: "This test is a wake-up call for consumers, regulators and vehicle manufacturers. All consumers, no matter where they live, have the right to receive the same level of safety in their vehicles. The cross-border security breach should no longer exist. We call on manufacturers to stop double standard strategies in the world."
Watch the live stream:

Last edited by ron178 : 28th June 2022 at 19:09.
ron178 is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
it includes a Latin NCAP car-to-car crash between a Hyundai Grand i10 sedan (Aura), Latin America's cheapest Hyundai sedan, made in India, with a Hyundai Accent, the cheapest Hyundai sedan sold in the USA.
I didn't quite understand what is being tested here. They are cars of different segments, made in different countries, right? What would be the nature of inference from such a test?

EDIT: Saw your newly added quote.

Last edited by clevermax : 28th June 2022 at 19:08.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

IIRC Verna is also available in Mexico. They could've simply used that car if their motive was to highlight variations in safety standards. Crashing different car models into each other, I don't know what to make out of this.

Last edited by self_driven : 28th June 2022 at 19:29.
self_driven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:48   #4
BHPian

Car to car crashes need not use the same cars (unless you crash a car against a truck). I think the point is 'Made for US' car vs 'Made for Mexico' car and how safety varies between them.
Could have used Verna but thats not a blocker.
PreludeSH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

While this might seem a novel and questionable concept, I can see that this is more reflective of a real world crash and how human life & limb would fare in different cars.
That it brings out discriminatory practices (in the same manufacturer) between geographies is definitely concerning and worthwhile for regulators to consider, because a life is not less valuable in an i10 than in an Accent or Verna or Santa Fe or whatever....

Last edited by roy_libran : 28th June 2022 at 20:00.
roy_libran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
While this might seem a novel and questionable concept, I can see that this is more reflective of a real world crash and how human life & limb would fare in different cars.
That it brings out discriminatory practices (in the same manufacturer) between geographies is definitely concerning and worthwhile for regulators to consider, because a life is not less valuable in an i10 than in an Accent or Verna or Santa Fe or whatever....
Truly said. In ideal world, an i10 should have lesser features and power or comfort but not less safety in any sense.
Its true that people buy more into features but its so because Manufacturer plays that card. The way how us Indians have given Cars from Tata and M&M more love lately indicates that there are people out there who WILL chose safety over features. Its unfortunately a shame that some of the best examples of after service and reliable cars come in forms of tin cans ONLY. Wish we had best of both worlds.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 20:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Latin NCAP Press Release: Global NCAP’s Car to Car Test Demonstrates Zero Star Double Standard on Vehicle Safety

Name:  Screenshot 20220628 at 8.39.50 PM.png
Views: 591
Size:  342.9 KB

The Grand i10 sedan showed an unacceptably high risk of life-threatening injury to the driver's head and chest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Crashing different car models into each other, I don't know what to make out of this.
I'm a little more concerned about the mass difference: usually heavier cars do better in real-world crashes regardless.

I mean, it's Latin NCAP (you might have seen the infamous Tsuru vs Versa test) and they often generate dramatic content like this to get the attention of governments, who, unlike the Indian Government, don't give a hoot. But I don't think applying UN regulation would solve this: the Indian (RHD) Aura meets them, yet I'm sure it would do worse than the Verna because of the mass difference alone.

Last edited by ron178 : 28th June 2022 at 20:53.
ron178 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2022, 21:28   #8
BHPian

Hyundai Aura weighs 900kg (source team bhp official review) and Hyundai Accent weighs 1217kg (source Hyundai USA website). Hyundai Accent will perform better, not discounting the fact that Hyundai cars in developed countries are better built.

Another thing to note is how late the airbag on the Aura gets deployed despite suffering more damage.

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-hyundai.jpg

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-hyundai1.jpg
Meph1st0 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 10:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Interestingly the European i10 performed well structurally in Euro NCAP's new frontal impact which is a 50km/h-to-50km/h crash into a 1300kg deformable barrier (although chest compression was high).

Name:  hyundai_i10_2020_mpdb.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  30.0 KB

I get that 'across the border' was supposed to be a focus but German-market vs Mexican-market i10 hatchback would have been more interesting.
ron178 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 18:23   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree to points being made of comparing like-to-like models like Verna from India/Mexico with the USA’s Accent (Verna).

But we need to first make Hyundai India address the issue of using sub-par (cheapened) platforms in favour of lower costs!

You can’t have the A-Pillar deforming that way and the steering moving towards the driver’s chest irrespective of which ever segment the car is operating/belonging in.

The driver is completely compromised in terms of protection in the Made-in-India Mexican Grand i10 (Aura). Everything body part is in the poor/weak section!!!

The driver airbag in the Aura/Grand i10 opened when it had reached the driver’s chest. Even if the driver somehow survives the crash, that airbag opening right at his chest is going to fatal, the dummy is literally crushed between the steering wheel airbag and his seat!

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-be9537a285224a55b303dafd173d8ec7.jpeg

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-365e76696c8c4906a46414937c0799be.jpeg

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-fb330c7ee3d34de8b77186dc99ee690f.jpeg

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-5a03a5c9ac424e0b80d16ab4c1933f07.jpeg

Latin NCAP crashes LHD Hyundai Aura into Hyundai Accent-23f059270380497bab499c8ac072d0e9.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 29th June 2022 at 18:37.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

The point is simple.

Hyundai is capable of making a safer car, but it won't, unless it is forced to make one.
ashutoshb is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks