Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2022, 16:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Separate indicator for U-Turns

Are there people from Malaysia here?

Many years ago, I was driving through rural Malaysia in a rented Proton Persona (except for the lack of horsepower, it's an otherwise fine no-nonsense car by the way).

Some background information:
  • In Malaysia people drive on the left side of the road. Same as in India.
  • I was driving mostly through the highways in rural Malaysia (ie., not Kuala Lumpur or other major cities). Usually 6 or 8 lanes.
  • Most junctions on highways have butterfly exits, which means there is no junction as such and traffic flows smoothly. Still, there were a few junctions.
Nearly all big junctions have a dedicated lane/bay for people intending to turn right. This lane is usually made by thinning down the wide dividers, and it starts about 50 metres from the junction (which of course has traffic lights).

Now, here's how the etiquette works (in junctions with the special lane):
  • You are in the aforementioned lane AND your right indicator is OFF — you intend to turn right. (You have to turn right if you are in the special lane).
  • You are in the aforementioned lane AND your right indicator is ON — you intend to make a U-turn!
I don't know if this was an official rule, but this was in practice everywhere I went. And I think even if you don't have a dedicated right lane bay (like, in cities), just being on the rightmost lane indicates intention to turn right, and indicators mean you're doing a U-turn. Somebody from Malaysia please confirm.

(It's totally possible that my understanding of this whole thing is outright wrong ).
voldemort is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 18:44   #32
BHPian

In my opinion it will be useless and may be dangerous. If you want to take U turn be in the rightmost lane and turn on Right signal.

We already have enough idiots, who take U turn at eleventh hour, despite being on the left most lane . They will get authority to do so by flashing U turn signal.
IP_Man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 20:34   #33
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksakotai View Post
Simple "non-tech" solution that was in vougue for decades - the Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise finger movement after rolling down the window... Has always worked for me :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
I generally use a hand signal along with the indicator - make a circle by turning my index finger clockwise.
Does such a thing even exist? I was under the impression that the aforementioned hand signals were used to indicate turning to the left side in the older days when hand signals were prevalent (as one obviously couldn’t extend his hand out of the left window). Did it ever mean a U turn?
handsofsteel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2022, 21:14   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
Does such a thing even exist? I was under the impression that the aforementioned hand signals were used to indicate turning to the left side in the older days when hand signals were prevalent (as one obviously couldn’t extend his hand out of the left window). Did it ever mean a U turn?
If you want to turn left circle your index finger anti-clockwise. If Right U Turn, then circle it clockwise. I think this used to be the standard procedure until a decade ago. Dont know why it went out of fashion :
ksakotai is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks