Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 10:43   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Animals on the road | Strategies to avoid collisions with animals while driving in India

My opinion is quite different - If we consider our nation to be on progressive path, then, herders who let animals out of fence should be put behind bars. This will save over 80% of incidents due to animals on the road. Folks who've been on GJ & MP roads will vouch this for sure.

Sharing 2 unfortunate incidents, but they're from TN & the state capital.

1. Cow jumps from one side of the road to another barging, probably out of fear, attempting head on towards a Splendor. Fortunately he notices & swerves off in the process knocking down a lady on Activa, on the front wheel. Needless to say the mishap caused a commotion during morning peak hour traffic & both of them escaped with minor injuries.

2. Cattle rummages from extreme left towards a lady on Activa riding on right most lane; She slows & swerves even more towards right & the cow misses her. Her stars were quite aligned that day otherwise she would not have missed the Swift at the intersection waiting to make a turn.

These are just 2 isolated incidents. But certainly ongoing to many commuters everyday; just FYI, the lady on the Activa in the above incident is my wife; I had to be silent witness unable to do much, other than my heart pounding 4X faster than 4K RPM of my CBR!!

Forget the compensation had the buffaloes & cows injured my wife & daughter that day; our whole life would've turned upside down!! I'm enraged when the owners of the cattle claim compensation when they're at stake as mentioned in this post; would the cattle owners willing to accept their mistake of letting loose their cattle & let go the owners, let alone paying for the damaged vehicle?

There's something that KL pioneers with technology; just like their adoption towards speed limit, they're now adopting for RFID based tracking for cattle. Something like this has to be done for almost all cattle & all the cattle roaming free has to be let go while the herders serving their time. No amount of precautions, even careful riders/drivers can prevent accidents with such animals!!

Last edited by Aditya : 13th April 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Edited for better readability
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 14:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Animals on the road | Strategies to avoid collisions with animals while driving in India

Here's a video from my dashcam a few days ago, where a cow decided to amble grandiosely through lines of cars stopped at a traffic light. I decided to leave plenty of space between the other cars and mine, and the cow took the opportunity of passing through the space and getting ahead of the other cars. It was funny how the light turned green as soon as the cow turned right (I went straight ahead), almost as if the cow was following all rules of the road and not jumping a traffic light!

If I did not leave that space, it is likely that the cow would have brushed past my car or another, leaving a dent or scratches - or even worse, got angry and deployed its horns.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 23:09   #48
BHPian

One more addition to CarCow accident.

One way to avoid this accident could have been stopping, as soon as the driver sees the cow, which frankly no one does.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 20th May 2022 at 23:12.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 08:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I am yet to see a dead monkey or cat on the road that has been run over by a car.
In all the time I've been driving I've run over and killed just one animal. It was a monkey. This was back in 2010. I was on the Blr-Tumkur highway doing about 70kmph. The median was slightly overgrown with bushes and as I changed lanes a monkey jumped out and the inevitable happened.
I've heard of people hitting all kinds of animals with their cars but I seem to be the only person who has hit a monkey.
Back then Marutis were better built and the only damage to my Swift was a broken bumper.
Roy.S is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
One way to avoid this accident could have been stopping, as soon as the driver sees the cow, which frankly no one does.
For some drivers, this inclination to pass ahead without stopping or slowing or changing lanes is not only when animals suddenly come into their path.

Even when a pedestrian trying to cross the road has ensured that adequate space is available behind him/her for the vehicle to pass, such drivers choose to pass in front of the pedestrian.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 10:50   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
One more addition to CarCow accident.

One way to avoid this accident could have been stopping, as soon as the driver sees the cow...
Yes, either stop, or pass behind the animal - never ahead of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
[Cows and buffaloes will often just walk ahead at a leisurely pace, unmindful of a 2-tonne mass of steel headed straight at them. There are only two options to avoid a collision - brake and stop before you hit them, or swerve and pass behind them.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 18:40   #52
BHPian

Got this on Twitter and the incident happened on 7th July 2022.

Not sure of the location.

Tiger came across the road at night. Does any forest in India, still have night travel allowed ?

https://twitter.com/SaveNammaPBC/sta...-v8ni1CiA&s=03
chaitanyakrish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2022, 22:58   #53
BHPian

Another accident involving animal on the road.

Old 21st November 2022, 23:32   #54
BHPian

I know this is quite basic, but hear me out. How can you avoid animals on the road? You slow down, and you drive anticipatorily:

Animals on the road | Strategies to avoid collisions with animals while driving in India-img20221121wa0000.jpg
vedirah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2022, 13:30   #55
BANNED

Considering how our highways go through villages and forests, its the onus on the drivers to be mindful of road conditions, anticipate domestic animals/people/carts crossing the roads and wild animals too in the proximity of the jungles. I have seen people driving recklessly in most conditions not giving a damn to where they are driving. Some are genuine accidents but most are man made.
Old 2nd January 2023, 15:30   #56
BHPian

GORY SCENE. CAUTION ADVISED

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks