Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2022, 10:12   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Harrier & Safari to be GNCAP-tested later in 2022

Off late, Tata cars have been making headlines when it comes to crash safety. While the crash test results for most of the brand's models are already in, the Harrier and Safari are yet to be tested by Global NCAP. We've now learned that both SUVs will be GNCAP tested this year.

Rumour: Tata Harrier & Safari to be GNCAP-tested later in 2022-2020tataharrierfacelift01-1.jpg

It is said that Tata Motors is making changes to its production line ahead of the GNCAP tests. Our source says, make of that what you will for the existing cars and their crash rating.

Global NCAP has evaluated Tata's entire product range except for the Harrier and Safari. More recently, the Tata Punch was also awarded a 5-star safety rating. However, the Nexon was the brand's first model to receive 5-stars.

Rumour: Tata Harrier & Safari to be GNCAP-tested later in 2022-2021tatasafari01-1.jpg

Among hatchbacks, the Altroz has received a 5-star safety rating, while the Tiago scored 4-stars. The Tigor and Tigor EV were awarded a 4-star rating as well.

Thanks to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Link to Team-BHP News

The Tata Harrier and Safari have scored 5-star rating is Global NCAP crash tests. Please continue the discussion on the new thread.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th October 2023 at 17:54. Reason: Link to new thread added
TusharK is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Harrier & Safari to be GNCAP-tested later in 2022

If the rumour turns out to be true & the products are tested I will be very happy. I will be in the market for a 5/7 seater in an year and though was impressed after driving my friend's harrier but had decided not to go for it if its not tested. This will bring it back in the mix and will be a pleasant headache (based on the test outcome) when I begin the search.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. Not sure whether to trust this or not, but it's not impossible.

Even if the Harrier/Safari don't have a very good frontal impact performance, they could possibly make up for it in the new 2022 protocol with a very good side impact. They also have ESC as standard, and it only has to meet UN regulation for 4 or 5 stars. And they're the only Tatas with optional curtain airbags, which means they're eligible for a pole test (in which I hope they perform well).

They have front seatbelt reminders, and if they can get a full 16.00 for side impact (not uncommon for SUVs even without side airbags), then they'll need 27-1-16 = 10 points (out of 16) in the frontal impact to score five stars. Under the old protocol that would have been a 3-4 star result (after some corrections for changes). However it would need, in particular, a score greater than 10.4 in the frontal impact to avoid being penalised further for having a large variation between front and side impact scores. That's not very hard, it's close to a Zest/Aspire/Triber.

The variants with curtain airbags (XZ(A)/XZ+(A)) will also need to make up at least 30% of Harrier sales.

One thing to note is that the Harrier/Safari don't have three-point belts in all seats. That will severely affect the child protection score. Under the old protocols it was just a 1-point extra credit. Now you can't score any points for the vehicle-based evaluation without it.
ron178 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 11:22   #4

This rumour is very confusing. Couple of months back, we had a heated discussion on the limitations of Fiat Engines for frontal crash, the placement of oil filter and its intrusion etc.

If this rumour turns out to be true, then -
1. Fiat (or may be Tata) has now modified the engine (or)
2. may be Tata is going for GNCAP with its own brand new engine (the new Petrol?) (or)
3. worst of all the details provided in the earlier discussions of Fiat Engine, are incorrect

Eagerly waiting for more information about this rumour.
anil_rnair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 12:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If the car is going to get tested - then TaMo better make whatever changes it takes in the assembly. These 2 are the flagships for the brand. And the key competition - XUV7oo has already scored a perfect five.

For a consumer - when the already feature loaded 7oo has scored 5 stars, anything below 5 stars by the Safari/Harrier is going to look like a BIG ZERO. Its as simple as that. Even a respectable 4 star rating, is enough to convince people to go for the 7oo, if safety is one of the requirements. Ironically - its TaMo itself that has instilled the safety awareness in today's consumer .

That the cars are still not voluntarily tested - definitely casts a strong doubt on TaMo's confidence on the current spec cars. I wonder how they have managed to keep GNCAP from directly acquiring and testing the car from market for so long. If I were Mahindra - I'd have purchased 3-4 Safari/Harrier pieces and given to GNCAP to test by now!

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th March 2022 at 12:29.
Reinhard is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 12:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Tata has the foundations for safety already - their build is good and their engineers clearly have a directive to prioritize it.

Now, it's about that last push to get all the models tested. It would also be nice if they equipped the Altroz with six airbags.
Old 4th March 2022, 12:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

When Flagships don't have a safety rating and everything below has, that does raises a few eyebrows. Better late than never. I feel for the current owners as it's crystal clear their's isn't a 5 star rated car if Tata has to make changes to obtain that rating. However, good for the new owners.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 15:19   #8
BHPian

I see that Tata does not have any other option other than to test their flagships.
For the most obvious reasons that were inculcated by Tata themselves about the safety consciousness and awareness in the Indian auto industry.

While its closes rivals, XUV700 have 5 stars, the point to note is that neither Hector/Hector Plus, Innova Crysta, or Alcazar is tested as well. For that matter, even Compass is not tested (In an RHD Diesel guise).

So I am equally curious enough to see and know what and how are they going to do and what will be the results.

Going by Tata's mantra that "Newer Forever", it should not be surprising that Tata launches a facelift/upgrade to Harrier/Safari which is actually due for. And probably test these new models.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 4th March 2022 at 15:21.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 17:45   #9
BHPian

I wish they bring three-point seat belts to the rear middle seat too.
Singer_Shower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 18:05   #10
A M
BHPian

I think it is safe to relate the NCAP testing and launch of petrol versions of Harrier/Safari. They may only test the petrol versions and aim for 5 stars.
A M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 20:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
It is said that Tata Motors is making changes to its production line ahead of the GNCAP tests. Our source says, make of that what you will for the existing cars and their crash rating.
Interesting remark from the source! Sounds like a polite way of saying "Everyone who bought Safaris and Harriers till now has a car incapable of a 5 star rating"
Anyways, glad to see Tata finally finding time to sort this important issue amidst all the new color launches they do every week!

Now hoping them to clear some air on crash worthiness Nexon and Nexon EV as well, because the Nexon facelift silently left use of the 5-star NCAP rating and the Nexon EV was never tested either when younger siblings of both flaunt the NCAP score in every possible ad!
theAutomaniac is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 20:48   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Bummer after bummer from a recent Harrier buyer's perspective. First they launched Kaziranga edition with the additional features in less than a month after I took delivery, and now this news of them changing the assembly process to comply with GNCAP ratings.

I am happy that they are doing this which was long due. My guess is that they will send their petrol versions for testing, which will side step the whole issue with fiat diesel engines, like what Jeep has done with Compass - getting 5 star ratings for their petrol versions.
CarBorne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 22:26   #13
AZT
BHPian

The XUV 700 and probably all upcoming Mahindra cars pushed their hand. I'd say even the new Scorpio would be safe and Tata will increasingly be pushed into a tight spot.
Old 5th March 2022, 14:37   #14

Mindful of the D8 steel platform for Tata Harrier and Tata Safari inherited when Land Rover was a subsidiary of Ford. It is used for the Land Rover Discovery Sport and Land Rover Range Rover Evoque. This gives confidence along with the re-engineering done by Tata engineers to come out with flying colors in the Global NCAP test.

Hope this makes a roadway to the much empty 4x4 segment left out by FOR enthusiasts' car in the whole mid-range SUV segment after the Tata Hexa and Mahindra XUV700 getting only an AWD.
@Debanshu_B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 17:21   #15
BHPian

Having booked the Harrier exactly 3 weeks ago, I have completely mixed feelings about this.

First, I don’t know whether I’m getting the one with changes or not. Second, I’m wondering if I do get a newer and safer Harrier, will the changes made affect the “tried and tested” nature of the current product.

Either way, this is good news and I’m looking forward to the results.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks