Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 14:32   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Kiger, Magnite, 4th gen City and Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP

The Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, fourth-gen Honda City and Honda Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP’s latest tests.

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-smartselect_20220215144854_chrome.jpg

Renault Kiger

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_143356.jpg

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-smartselect_20220215143621_drive.jpg

Quote:
Renault Kiger (2 airbags)

The Renault Kiger, which shares platform with the Nissan Magnite, achieved four stars for adult and two stars for child occupant protection. The Kiger was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with two frontal airbags and ABS. During the assessment it showed an unstable structure and marginal protection to the driver’s chest. The model offers ISOFIX anchorages but they are not visible to the consumer, they were covered by the seat fabric. This model is offered with a lap-belt in the rear centre seat, without ESC and side head impact protection as standard.

Nissan Magnite

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_143353.jpg

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-smartselect_20220215143751_drive.jpg

Quote:
Nissan Magnite (2 airbags)

The Nissan Magnite scored four stars for adult and two for child occupant protection. The Magnite was tested in its most basic safety spec fitted with two front airbags and ABS. During the assessment the model showed a stable structure and marginal protection to the driver’s chest.

Surprisingly, the model is still being sold with a lap-belt in the rear centre seat instead of three point belts, without ISOFIX anchorages for the Child Restraint Systems (CRS). There is no Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and no side head impact protection as standard.

4th gen Honda City

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_143350.jpg

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-smartselect_20220215143808_drive.jpg

Quote:
Honda City (4th Gen) (2 airbags)

The Honda City (4th Gen) achieved four stars for adult and child occupant protection. The City (4th Gen) was tested in its most basic safety spec, fitted with two frontal airbags, ISOFIX anchorages and ABS. During the assessment it showed an unstable structure and footwell area, good child occupant protection thanks to the ISOFIX anchorages and the rearward facing position of one of the child dummies. This model is offered with a lap-belt in the rear centre seat, without ESC and side head impact protection as standard.

Honda Jazz

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_143402.jpg

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-smartselect_20220215143821_drive.jpg

Quote:
Honda Jazz (2 airbags)

The Honda Jazz achieved four stars for adult and three stars for child occupant protection. The Jazz was tested in its most basic safety spec, fitted with two frontal airbags and ABS. During the assessment it showed a stable structure. The Jazz does not have ISOFIX anchorages and for this reason the CRS were tested using the adult seatbelts. Honda decided to install both child dummies in a rearward facing position following global best practice. This model is offered with a lap-belt in the rear centre seat, without ESC and side head impact protection as standard.

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th February 2022 at 14:53.
Venkatesh is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:45   #2
BHPian

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

GNCAP just posted that the Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City(4th Gen) and the Honda Jazz have all scored 4 stars!

superguy282 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:49   #3
BHPian

Re: The Kiger, Magnite, 4th gen City and Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP

Jazz scores higher than the City, and on top of that only the City has an UNSTABLE bodyshell to boot? What's up with that, Honda?
Did you design the bodyshells to only be sufficient for the lightweight 1.2L Petrols? If the 1.5 Petrol City is Unstable, the diesel will be even worse!

Last edited by d3mon : 15th February 2022 at 14:51.
d3mon is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:51   #4
BHPian

Re: The Kiger, Magnite, 4th gen City and Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP

Superb news. I hope this gives an impetus to Honda's sales and motivate them to refresh their ageing lineup.

Seems like Honda sponsored the tests (going by the cars which are not base variants) so why did they sponsor the 4th gen which has an unstable structure? The 5th gen might even have got the 5th star because of side airbags. Is it because of some GNCAP rule (that the least safety-feature-equipped variant must get tested which is the 4th gen)? If so, could this have been bypassed by changing the name of the 4th gen to something other than 'City'?

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 15th February 2022 at 14:56.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:53   #5
BHPian

Kiger scores higher than Magnite despite having an unstable shell. Surprising considering the fact that they share a platform.

Jazz outscores the City which have an unstable shell too. I doubt Honda volunteered for this test considering the backlash it's going to get from City owners. On second thought I just realised that adding more weight to a Jazz would inevitably bring the crash protection down. A City is in a way a bulked up Jazz. So the results are not that surprising as I first thought.

And where is the 5th gen City's rating? Isn't that the one that matters the most for Honda?

Just noticed that neither City nor Jazz comes with seatbelt pretensioners. Come on Honda, you can do better than that.

Last edited by Keeleri_Achu : 15th February 2022 at 14:58.
Keeleri_Achu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Kiger scores slightly more than the Magnite, but has an unstable body shell. Doesn't the stability of shell have any bearing on the score? Apologies if this has been discussed before. I feel they should have some score linked to stability, just like 0 airbags standard equipment would lead to 0 star rating

Quite surprised to see Honda city has unstable bodyshell
AkMar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:55   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Global NCAP crash tests reach half century in India.

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_144604.jpg

What's left of the crash tested cars.

Nissan Magnite

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_145736.jpg

Renault Kiger

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_145745.jpg

Honda Jazz

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_145755.jpg

4th Gen Honda City

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-20220215_145758.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th February 2022 at 15:01.
Venkatesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:58   #8
BHPian

re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

So Nissan India weren't kidding (prima facie) when they said that the Indian model has a structure similar to the SE Asian one.
Out of the four models tested, Magnite and Jazz had stable structure, while the Kiger and City didn't. The City has a great 4* child safety rating. A stable structure would have made the result much sweeter.

Now that Renault has a 4* rated car, Hyundai-Kia seem to be the official backbenchers in terms of safety and are the undisputed title holders of the Tin-Can championship.

Last edited by theredliner : 15th February 2022 at 15:02.
theredliner is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:59   #9
BHPian

I own a 5th Gen City. Though I am bit disappointed with the Unstable Body structure result, overall I feel I made the right decision in terms of safety. Even though I knew that the sheet metal thickness doesn't contribute much to safety, it was always in my mind whether Honda India duped us similar to how Kia and Hyundai cheated us in terms of safety. Regarding the Unstable Body structure, GNCAP has made the below comment as well.

Alejandro Furas, Secretary General, Global NCAP told carandbike, "Having an unstable structure doesn't mean that the car will be a poor performer, and the other way around. The stability of a structure just counts for one or two points into the 17 points that we are assessing. Of course if you have a poor structure it's likely that other things are affected. But something interesting that Honda is using is they add another element to the structure that goes over the wheel arch. What this does is you have a much wider structure available to absorb energy, to dissipate the energy and direct it outside of the (passenger) compartment. At the same time it's also good as you are somehow being less aggressive to whatever you crash into."

Credit Carandbike
sreerknair is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 15:08   #10
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to note that while the Magnite has a stable bodyshell, the Kiger based on the same platform has an unstable bodyshell! Since City & Jazz have both scored 4 stars, probably we shouldn't expect anything more than 3 stars for the Amaze.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 15:15   #11
e46
BHPian

Interesting results.

Maybe apparently naïve questions, but are these test units manufactured in India (no point otherwise)? Where is the crash testing facility located (which country)?

Also, does GNCAP buy them at their own cost or OEMs volunteer their vehicles?
Old 15th February 2022, 15:45   #12
Team-BHP Support

Once again a reminder not to consider international results as applicable for the Indian market, with companies like Honda.

See the stark difference in AOP results between the crash test dummies of the ASEAN tested car vs the Indian car? An UNSTABLE structure to boot as well. Mobilio had an unstable structure as well, IIRC.

ASEAN test -

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-screenshot_20220215153903_adobe-acrobat.jpg

Indian GNCAP test -

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-smartselect_20220215143808_drive-1.jpg

But why is the 4th generation tested now? 5th generation could have been way more relevant. However, 5th generation is based on the same platform, with extended overhangs - so I guess it's quite unlikely to see much improvement there.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th February 2022 at 15:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 15:50   #13
BHPian

re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

Why did the results for Kiger and Magnite come different? They did not test many manufacturers this time.
Old 15th February 2022, 15:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
I own a 5th Gen City. Though I am bit disappointed with the Unstable Body structure result, overall I feel I made the right decision in terms of safety. Even though I knew that the sheet metal thickness doesn't contribute much to safety, it was always in my mind whether Honda India duped us similar to how Kia and Hyundai cheated us in terms of safety
Is this test result only for 4th Gen City or is it applicable to 5th Gen city also? I thought 4th Gen City was phased out and only lower two variants are available and 5th Gen city was completely different. Is there any body difference to the different generations?
Old 15th February 2022, 15:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
The Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, fourth-gen Honda City and Honda Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP’s latest tests.
In the report for Magnite, it mentions The driver’s chest showed marginal protection, However the attached image shows driver's chest in Brown, which mean weak protection. Also, if driver's chest protection is Weak, will the SBR point would be considered for the overall calculations?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks