Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 18:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

Meanwhile XUV3OO owners!! Feel very satisfied with my purchase. The 3OO features right at the top of the list, no debate no discussions whatsoever on the safety of the Indian brands. Way to go TATA and M&M!
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:29   #32
BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

The 5th gen City has been crash tested by ASEAN NCAP where it scored 5 stars. Although they don't apply to the Indian variant, I am hopeful for a 5 star if it is tested by GNCAP.
Below is the crash test video. It is a Thailand made car (for Thailand market) with a 1.0L turbo petrol.

Last edited by Hemi6.2 : 15th February 2022 at 19:31.
Hemi6.2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:45   #33

Way to go Nissan! This completely changes my opinion about Magnite, had thought that this would be 3-star car at max, that too due to the fact that it has 2 airbags.
ShivSharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:55   #34
BANNED

Jazz/Fit is sold in the EU, North America, Japan, Australia.

Where as the city is specifically made for SE asian countries and other developing countries.

In the past for example when I was looking at the prices of 3rd and 2nd gen Jazz in other markets, when both City and Jazz had the same engine, the Jazz used to be priced higher in countries like Australia.

But in India and other SE asian emerging economies Jazz is priced cheaper.

So in my opinion because of the fact that the Jazz is sold in top developed countries, its structural design itself is probably superior to that of the city.
Old 15th February 2022, 20:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Note from Honda post the GNCAP Tests for those who were not patient enough to watch the entire C&B video:
Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-honda_m.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi6.2 View Post
The 5th gen City has been crash tested by ASEAN NCAP where it scored 5 stars. Although they don't apply to the Indian variant, I am hopeful for a 5 star if it is tested by GNCAP.
Yes, seeing the 4th Gen City score 4 stars, we can expect 5 stars from the 5th Gen City but it would still need to be tested separately. Main reason being - the 5th Gen City sold in India was modified from the Thai model to increase the wheelbase. So they are not identical structurally and hence a dedicated test is warranted.
vsrivatsa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:14   #36
BHPian

While the crash test results are great and commendable, it is equally disappointing to observe that none of these four cars offer a combination of ESC + 6 airbags in any of their variants.
Atleast, Nissan offers ESC in Magnite turbo variants.
skarthiksr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
T.
Hi ron178. Just re-posting my earlier post. In the report for Magnite, it mentions The driver’s chest showed marginal protection, However the attached image shows driver's chest in Brown, which mean weak protection. Also, if driver's chest protection is Weak, will the SBR point would be considered for the overall calculations? Hope may be someone goofed up the diagram, while creating the report.
Old 15th February 2022, 20:29   #38

I think testing 4th Gen City and Jazz (both old products) sends a message that Honda has been committed to safety right from the beginning itself and it's not something new for them.
sks2610 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:40   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
Hope may be someone goofed up the diagram, while creating the report.
Wouldn't be the first time

Yes, if it was weak the SBR would be marked 'yes' but the point would not be added. Not entirely sure whether the SBR point was added or not but based on the other two I would think it was and the chest must be marginal. A weak chest despite no structural penalty would really have been a serious issue. Point to note is that it chest score need not be the same as the ASEAN car even if the car is the same, because of less demanding rib deflection criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I'm still awaiting confirmation as to whether these tests were requested by Honda or not.
They were not, Siddharth Patankar confirms on Twitter
Name:  Screenshot 20220215 at 8.42.27 PM.png
Views: 648
Size:  54.3 KB

Renault is now using the Kiger's result in communications, but unlike the Triber they aren't advertising the child occupant protection rating. They are supposed to advertise both scores together when using the result in communication.
Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-screenshot-20220215-8.43.30-pm.png

Honda joins the top 10 with both the City and Jazz, pushing Volkswagen out of the list after eight years!

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-flodakexsaapfph.jpeg

Honda City IV narrowly outdoes Tata's Tigor EV as the new best performing sedan.

Last edited by ron178 : 15th February 2022 at 21:08.
ron178 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 20:59   #40
BHPian

Good to see all 4 cars getting acceptable stars, but it’s strange that the Magnite was rated with stable structure but Kiger wasn’t. The result is shocking in the case of Honda, Jazz is said to have a stable structure, whereas the City (4th gen) is rated unstable structure .
GautamJ is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 21:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sks2610 View Post
I think testing 4th Gen City and Jazz (both old products) sends a message that Honda has been committed to safety right from the beginning itself and it's not something new for them.
The first Honda that was tested by GNCAP was mobilio which scored 0 star for the base variant and 3 star for the dual airbag variant. So they have been not that committed to safety. The interesting fact is, at a time, all Honda cars sold in India was having dual airbags as standard (When ANHC, CIVIC, Original Jazz and CR V were sold along side.), log before other manufacures made it as standard. However, when they launched, brio, Amaze and Mobilio, they have kept the safety features only on the top variants to justify the price
sreejithkk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 23:01   #42
BHPian

I am still confused how GNCAP pick the car and its variants for testing. Variants of City and Jazz being tested are top spec (probably V) - even has alloys and door handle chrome garnish. Magnite & Kiger looks like base variant. As per GNCAP, it should be basic safety variant. To best of my knowledge, City & Jazz S or SV has same safety package .So should it be basic safety variant?

Also why would they pick and release the results of cars that are nearing end of life cycle? What is the logic in picking cars if its not a voluntary request from manufacturer ?
5252rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5252rpm View Post
I am still confused how GNCAP pick the car and its variants for testing. Variants of City and Jazz being tested are top spec (probably V) - even has alloys and door handle chrome garnish. Magnite & Kiger looks like base variant. As per GNCAP, it should be basic safety variant. To best of my knowledge, City & Jazz S or SV has same safety package .So should it be basic safety variant?
Jazz V model has got chrome door garnish and alloy wheels. It is the base model right now and has got same safety features as standard throughout.
City here looks more like V model (instead of SV) for the chrome door garnish. Both SV and V models dont have any difference in terms of safety features. So selecting either of the models wont make any difference

Magnite/Kiger though have few safety features missing in their base models and hence they were selected.
Turbokick is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 09:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Variants of City and Jazz being tested are top spec (probably V) - even has alloys and door handle chrome garnish. Magnite & Kiger looks like base variant. As per GNCAP, it should be basic safety variant. To best of my knowledge, City & Jazz S or SV has same safety package .So should it be basic safety variant?
Honda had deleted few variants of the Jazz a while ago. Now, the base variant of the Jazz is V and it comes with alloys and chrome door handles as standard. I believe the lower variants were removed when the Jazz was facelifted. The base variant of the 4th Gen City is SV and it too comes with alloys.

Last edited by __.gxr.__ : 16th February 2022 at 09:28.
Old 16th February 2022, 10:59   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi6.2 View Post
The 5th gen City has been crash tested by ASEAN NCAP where it scored 5 stars. Although they don't apply to the Indian variant,
The 4th gen City also scored 5 stars in the ASEAN NCAP although was tested way back in 2014.

Not sure whether current GNCAP is more stringent than 2014 ANCAP though..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks