Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2022, 16:03   #16

re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

It is definitely heartening to see that Nissan also has decided to care for safety. Nissan has good number of Magnite from its perspective and I am sure that the Magnite owners would be happy to see this report.

I really wish and hope that the other leading car makers (by the numbers) - MSIL and Hyundai/Kia also pay heed to this and do something about their cars in India.
Old 15th February 2022, 16:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kiger, Magnite, 4th gen City and Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP

Wow - Great news to hear that all the cars tested managed to score 4 stars.

Kiger and Magnite are leading the way to show that value for money cars also can stand out when it comes to Safety

Bit surprised they tested the 4th Gen and not the current gen City but as the owner of a 4th Gen City, I am happy with the results. Jazz scoring 4 stars as well gives a good picture about Honda's line up and confidence about the brand's commitment to Safety.

Maruti-Hyundai-Kia: Are you folks listening?
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Kiger, Magnite, 4th gen City and Jazz all have scored 4 stars in Global NCAP

Siddharth Vinayak Patankar had shared a teaser before the GNCAP results were declared, but he had added the Kia Carens in the teaser, and not the Magnite!

I have a strong feeling that the Carens has also been tested just that the results haven’t been declared.

Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-07787a368bb84153854f2d62be1a80ad.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th February 2022 at 16:08.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Maybe apparently naïve questions, but are these test units manufactured in India (no point otherwise)?
Yes the cars are purchased at dealers in India.

Quote:
Where is the crash testing facility located (which country)?
The test facility is ADAC Technik Zentrum at Landsberg-Lech, Germany.

Quote:
Also, does GNCAP buy them at their own cost or OEMs volunteer their vehicles?
Both. Normally tests requested (and paid for) by manufacturers are indicated with an asterisk. In any case the car must be fully homologated and is selected at random by the GNCAP either by a mystery shopper at a dealer or at the manufacturer's plant's distribution area (where cars are loaded on trucks to be shipped to dealers).

In this round I'm not sure. I would have thought that at least some of the results are sponsored because it doesn't make sense that the GNCAP would use funds to test related cars that are expected to perform similarly (Magnite-Kiger, City-Jazz). I'll try to find out and let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Alejandro Furas, Secretary General, Global NCAP told carandbike, "Having an unstable structure doesn't mean that the car will be a poor performer, and the other way around. The stability of a structure just counts for one or two points into the 17 points that we are assessing. Of course if you have a poor structure it's likely that other things are affected. But something interesting that Honda is using is they add another element to the structure that goes over the wheel arch. What this does is you have a much wider structure available to absorb energy, to dissipate the energy and direct it outside of the (passenger) compartment. At the same time it's also good as you are somehow being less aggressive to whatever you crash into."
He had told Autoblog Uruguay the same thing during the press event when they tested the 4th-gen City in Latin NCAP. It had performed slightly better there.
Quote:
From the structural point of view, it presents somewhat unusual improvements in the segment.

It is a vehicle that uses only the roof and floor to withstand the impact load without having to transmit force at the driver's door level. It has extra reinforcements along the front of the structure covering the entire front along the width of it. They help dissipate energy more and better.
Encouraging results for adult protection for all models though I honestly expected slightly better from the City despite its age. Considering that the Jazz and the African Amaze were both bordering on five stars for adults, the City sits squarely in four star territory in comparison.

Child protection, mixed bag. Both the RNM twins fall short on the Triber's performance. The City impresses, like it did in Latin NCAP in 2015. The Jazz, despite a rearward-facing 3 year-old, disappoints for that very dummy.

Trivia:
  • The tests were conducted in the 41st week of 2021, which is incidentally earlier than the last round of Africa tests, which surprisingly were published in December.
  • The Honda Jazz is very close to five stars with just 0.11/17 less than the minimum score for five stars. If Honda presents a knee mapping verification test (to remove the 2-point knee penalties) to Global NCAP (and then sponsors a side impact), they can achieve five stars for adult protection. The car is currently in a similar position to the first publication of the Tata Nexon, but slightly less in terms of frontal crash performance, by 0.17 points. I think they should go ahead with it. What with the rumours about them leaving, a five star result could just be what they need to gain some attention (not that four stars are bad, it's just that five stars catches a lot more attention)

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th February 2022 at 10:49. Reason: As requested
ron178 is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
[*]The Honda Jazz is very close to five stars with just 0.11/17 less than the minimum score for five stars. If Honda presents a kneemapping verification test (to remove the 2-point knee penalties) to Global NCAP (and then sponsors a side impact), they can achieve five stars for adult protection. The car is currently in a similar position to the first publication of the Tata Nexon, but slightly less in terms of frontal crash performance, by 0.17 points. I think they should go ahead with it. What with the rumours about them leaving, a five star result could just be what they need to gain some attention (not that four stars are bad, it's just that five stars catches a lot more attention)[/list]
I sort of expected the results for Kiger, Magnite and even the Jazz. I was not so sure about the City, but its a shot in the arm for Honda India to brag about in the showroom vis-a-vis its competitors.
Hopefully the Jazz gets a bit of a re-look from customers after this results. And can Honda please restore rear-seat headrests on the Jazz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post

Now that Renault has a 4* rated car, Hyundai-Kia seem to be the official backbenchers in terms of safety and are the undisputed title holders of the Tin-Can championship.
Renault already had a 4 star rated car in the Triber before the Kiger result.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th February 2022 at 10:50. Reason: Quoted post edited
fhdowntheline is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Results back up what I've always said about the Jazz despite many learned folks clubbing it as unsafe based on sheet metal thickness.

The City results are obvious because they stretched the Jazz platform to its limits and have had to modify things to meet their acceptable internal standards.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 16:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Once again a reminder not to consider international results as applicable for the Indian market, with companies like Honda.
Aren't they the results from two different New Car Assessment Programs?
Old 15th February 2022, 16:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejithkk View Post
In the report for Magnite, it mentions The driver’s chest showed marginal protection, However the attached image shows driver's chest in Brown, which mean weak protection. Also, if driver's chest protection is Weak, will the SBR point would be considered for the overall calculations?
Looks like they goofed up. The kiger report shows marginal. The magnite report shows weak but the spokesperson mentions the opposite.
Nightfury29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

4th generation City they launched in 2014 and tested in 2022. We can expect 5th generation City test result by 2028.
Latheesh is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Being a Jazz owner this really makes me happy but honestly not surprised at all. Reason being we already knew about Amaze for Africa scoring 4*. And expecting Jazz being inferior is well

Was made fun of when I tried to explain folks why I chose this over i20 & baleno. This result should settle the debate.

Happy for Magnite as well as I love the car and suggest this to anyone looking for a sub10L car these days. Kudos to Nissan. Kiger scored similar to its 7 seater sibling Triber. Hopefully our biggest players have some shame and these underdogs get their due

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th February 2022 at 17:54.
SoumenD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:55   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post

I have a strong feeling that the Carens has also been tested just that the results haven’t been declared.
Or maybe it was the price reveal of the Carens, which was the only other "impactful" news of the day. But for the sake of everything good in the world, I hope your feelings are proven right.
400notout is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 17:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See the stark difference in AOP results between the crash test dummies of the ASEAN tested car vs the Indian car? An UNSTABLE structure to boot as well.
Those are not two separate issues. The driver's chest faces a -1 penalty for an unstable passenger compartment which explains why it was downrated to marginal.

As for the knee area being orange, Honda was not allowed to present kneemapping verification data because of the structural modifiers, so it lost an additional two points. Same thing happened with the Mahindra Thar. The reason for this is that the kneemapping (with a larger 95th percentile dummy to achieve greater penetration of the knees) is done on a sled instead of a full-scale ODB test. The body-in-white used in the test represents a perfectly intact passenger cell, so it would be pointless doing kneemapping in case the passenger compartment became unstable.
Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP-screenshot-20220215-5.53.37-pm.png

It is slightly concerning that the model showed an unstable passenger compartment and a ruptured footwell. I personally wouldn't compare it to the ASEAN car because I really doubt PC3's subjective assessments (for example the old Swift which they didn't penalise despite it showing significantly greater shortening of the door aperture (like the Indian car) than the Japanese car tested by JNCAP). In fact the same thing is what I am slightly worried about with Bharat NCAP. Global NCAP gets a lot of advantages from doing tests at ADAC - both times they tested the Swift and even the Ignis they could directly compare with Euro NCAP ODB results.

But even on an absolute scale structural problems are not something I would expect from a manufacturer who claims to have reengineered the spot weld. I don't know if it's intentional or just a loss of production control (welder maintenance etc.).

I would, however, compare it to the Latin American LHD car, which was tested at the same lab by the same people and there had both a stable passenger compartment and footwell and hence also qualified for kneemapping verification.

Not that Honda India would've gone ahead with kneemapping even if they could - they could done it with the Jazz for that matter and tried for five stars, but they didn't. Either they don't expect it to pass or they just don't care about the rating.

Quote:
Mobilio had an unstable structure as well, IIRC.
Nope the Mobilio's passenger compartment remained stable but it did have some unusually high pedal movement which caused significant loss of points. In any case both of these are a significant improvement over that.

I am a bit surprised they tested two Hondas in the same round, and neither of them are the 'popular' ones. I would very much rather have seen the Amaze tested because I'm really curious as to whether it can achieve that hypothetical five star performance in India - the African car was one rare case of a car that could achieve five stars with the knee penalties still applied.

We actually have not one but two interesting cases here where models based on similar architecture have shown different structural performance.

Last edited by ron178 : 15th February 2022 at 18:09.
ron178 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 18:10   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

Good to see the Japanese doing well in the GNCAP . I was also impressed with Toyota's Etios getting 4 stars back in the day. Now, will the biggest Japanese brand in the country sit up & take notice?

Curious why they'd test the 4th-gen City now when its the 5th-gen that is far more important & relevant today. I'd like to believe the 5th-gen car will do even better.

I'm impressed with Renault's resurgence since ~5 years. Their products are either intelligent (Triber), smart (Kiger) or different (Kwid was unique when launched).

Last edited by GTO : 15th February 2022 at 18:15.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 18:33   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Global NCAP crash tests reach half century in India.

Attachment 2272895
This chart needs to be pinned in the Road safety and 'What car' sections.

Looking at the chart on how manufacturers fare -

Mahindra/Tata/Honda/Renault/Nissan - Now most of their volume models are covered with only few remaining.

Hyundai/Kia/Maruti - Just hanging in there with a model for namesake with most of their models untested. With 70% market share (volume), they need to make the difference.

Volkswagen/Skoda/Toyota /MG - Where are they? (Discounting Etios which is no longer sold and Polo on its way out?). With India specific models, VW-Skoda needs to get tested sooner than later. No hope for Toyota as they went into a different path. Not sure what is going on with MG.

Jeep/Citroen - One car wonders and nothing much to write about. Hope they didn't dilute their design for India.
Old 15th February 2022, 18:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Kiger, Nissan Magnite, Honda City (4th-Gen) and Honda Jazz all get 4 stars in GNCAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Curious why they'd test the 4th-gen City now when its the 5th-gen that is far more important & relevant today. I'd like to believe the 5th-gen car will do as well in the GNCAP, if not better.
The new one has standard-fit ESC and side airbags so most likely they would like to test it under the new protocol where they can test those systems. I'm still awaiting confirmation as to whether these tests were requested by Honda or not. Depending on that we might be able to guess whether or not we can expect to see them sponsor the new City when the new protocols kick in. I'd like to believe that Honda might use safety as a selling point to try and stay relevant, especially with the huge demand for five star cars.

Important to note that under the current (2013 Latin NCAP) protocols a five star child occupant protection result is nearly impossible, it's that hard. Under the next protocol it's easier. Four stars is the highest achieved even in Latin NCAP at the time (not even Toyota could achieve five stars).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
if not better.
A five star result is what Honda needs to gain some attention. Four stars is creditable, but doesn't make the headlines for long.

Unfortunately both of the products tested today lack even optional ESC - so anything more than two stars under the next protocol is plain impossible. On the contrary, I will go so far as to say that in terms of equipment, the New City is probably the best prepared product for the new protocols, even outdoing much more expensive cars. It has a very high fitment rate of side head airbags, has standard torso airbags, has standard ESC and has three-point belts in all seating positions. I only hope it performs well in the physical impacts too.

Quote:
See the stark difference in AOP results between the crash test dummies
Quote:
The Honda Jazz is very close to five stars with just 0.11/17 less than the minimum score for five stars. If Honda presents a kneemapping verification test (to remove the 2-point knee penalties) to Global NCAP (and then sponsors a side impact), they can achieve five stars for adult protection.[/list]
Quote:
Not that Honda India would've gone ahead with knee mapping even if they could - they could done it with the Jazz for that matter and tried for five stars, but they didn't. Either they don't expect it to pass or they just don't care about the rating.
Correction: Just realised the Jazz doesn't get pretensioners. Usually manufacturers employ a double pretensioner (i.e. even for the lower anchorage) or a knee airbag for successful kneemapping. With no pretensioners it is not impossible but unlikely it would pass.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th February 2022 at 10:50. Reason: Quoted post edited
ron178 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks